Tropicana’s in Costa Maya

netwrks

Nice Review. Steve's a great guy. While not the old Cat's Meow, Tropicante is close to similar vibes as the old Mahahual. was. Did Steve direct you to Buster's, his newer place?

no, he did not. We'll have to check it out next time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were there January 2nd. Loved it. Will definitely go back. If I went into detail I would echo everything mentioned above, but will throw in that the service was very good, they even found my wife a new pair of flip flops when the strap on hers broke and I told them I didn’t feel like haggling with anyone, so they got them for $10. As for getting there we took actual taxis, not the tram, and had no issue with people trying to get us to go somewhere else. Cabs were $2 per person.

What are the chances of getting a spot on a "walk in" at about 1pm? I am looking for a lunch/beach spot for after my Mayan ruins tour.

I posted this above. We are doing the Native Choice tour and will be back around 1. I emailed Steve to see if he could reserve a spot for us. He checks the schedule for ships that day and will let you know yes or no.

Following thread. Trying to decide on Tropicante vs. Blue Kay for our upcoming cruise end of March (Spring Break).

No need to decide. Go have a couple of drinks and spend a little time at Blue Kay and then take a short walk over to Tropicante for some more libations. Decide for yourself which one you prefer, then come back and give us your opinion.

We had a wonderful day at Tropicante last week. Five adults, five kids.

We had a lot of beer, two margaritas, guac, nachos and quesadillas. Bill was less than $100.

Steve reserved us five loungers and a table and chairs. It was perfect.

The kids loved the beach and had fun digging in the sand, wading and looking for fish.

There were a lot of vendors, but none were aggressive.

The tram took us there, but does not provide rides back. We had to take taxis.

They are supposed to be $2 pp, but we thought it was $3 pp and paid that amount - PLUS tip.

We definitely will return to Tropicante if we return to Costa Maya.

Could someone tell me how to contact Steve at Tropicante we want to reserve but the email keeps bouncing back. Address not found.:cool::rolleyes:

I used Facebook messenger. He usually responded in a day or 2. Enjoy your trip.

I heard something about if you bring them a book in Spanish they will give you a shot of tequila?

I do not know about the book but they did give us shots of something called Compadre. Because it is not distilled in Jalisco, it cannot be called “tequila”, so the bottle says “ from agave” or something like that. It was really good. We actually sipped it instead of shooting it, it was very smooth. Wish I had bought a bottle to bring back . . .

I would like to add, unless they have changed recently, it is cash only. I agree with everyone, it is a nice reasonably priced "beach club" but ala carte verses an AI. The only turn off at times is the people selling on the beach. We'll be there in 61 days!

I would like to add, unless they have changed recently, it is cash only. I agree with everyone, it is a nice reasonably priced "beach club" but ala carte verses an AI. The only turn off at times is the people selling on the beach. We'll be there in 61 days!

You are correct that it is " cash only ". Didn't know that last time there and barely had enough to cover the bill. :o

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So glad I found this thread!! Excellent review Whitsel! :) I have emailed Steve to check for availability for our day in Costa May in July. Hopefully he has something. I've also pulled out two books I have read, so I can swap for one of theirs. Thinking I need some of their butterscotch whiskey also :cool:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So they'll reserve the loungers for you, only obligation is that you buy your food and drink from them? Is there a minimum? Sounds like a nice relaxing day for the family without the high price of some of the beach clubs.