Cruise Critic Community
Qchell

tour that is not gift shop to gift shop?

My DH and I are going to Amber Cove for the second time next year. The first we were booked at one resort for the day, that excursion got cancelled and substituted with another resort that was so awful we got a partial refund. We already have a beach day at Half Moon Cay and snorkeling at Grand Turk so we really would like a culture/island tour in DR this time.

Looking at the island tours through Carnival - they all seem to be the same tour basically rearranged in differing orders with lots of gift shop stops. Not what we are looking for.

I was looking at Marysol City Tour - and that is a possibility. Has anyone done that? Do you get to actually see the sites or are they simply quick stops in between gift shops? ;)

Any suggestions on tours that really allow you to get out and see DR outside of the gift shops?

You can arrange a private tour with a taxi driver at the port. Price is negotiable. You can tell the driver where you want to go and what you want to see.

I have seen through the years where a number of people have opted to do that with wonderful results. I am always a tad bit hesitant to do that even though my husband is Puerto Rican, from the island, and Spanish is his first language. If anyone has any cab drivers they have experience with, I'd love the info.

We absolutely loved and would highly recommend city tour with Marysol Tours incl cable car ride. It was excellent, informative and yet provided excellent opportunity to buy local wares. We purchased beautiful pcs of art and other one of a kind items at excellent low cost prices. Back to your inquiry, this was a wonderful active tour of Puerto Plata with a small group and time to shop. No beach time though.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Forums mobile app

We loved the Waterfalls excursion with Marysol Tours. They offer several other tours that are less active also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums