oskidunker

Pizza on Princess has gotten really bad

Just off the Pacific and though it was a great cruise and most of the food was good, the pizza had no taste. This was also the case on the Ocean last year.

I have loved Princess Pizza until 2 years ago when it seems they are using cheap ingredients. It doesn't even look good. Tasted like Cardboard.

Just ate probably the best pizza in my life at the restaurant at the Courtyard hotel in Venice. So I guess I haven't lost my taste buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Noticed that recently on the Royal, definitely using cheaper ingredients. The pepperoni was very strange in texture and taste

Sorry to hear you had a bad pizza experience on the Pacific Princess. Without question, one of the hallmarks of the Princess ships is their pizza and pasta so I am wondering why the pizza you had was not up to standards. We were just on the Caribbean Princess for 29 days and didn't have that experience, actually we thought that it was quite good.....not to compare with pizza in Italy, but still quite good for pizza at sea.

We are on the Pacific Princess for 14 days over the Christmas holidays and will have a chance to check out your observation. Hopefully, it was a bad batch of cheese and flour.

I've never understood the raves that the pizza gets on Princess. Once or twice a cruise, I will eat a slice. It's OK for a mid-afternoon snack.

Agreed - way too greasy usually for us - have to take napkins to wipe it away - not really worth it.

Now we did enjoy the pizza and everything else in Alfredos on the Royal

I've never understood the raves that the pizza gets on Princess. Once or twice a cruise, I will eat a slice. It's OK for a mid-afternoon snack.

Agreed. I always figured most Princess pax had been eating really bad pizzas all their lives.

I've always thought the pizza was pretty bad. The only one in my opinion worth the calories is the 4 cheese white sauce pizza. They only make it once during a 7 day cruise.

If you get pepperoni, they probably use the same as the frozen pizzas in the grocery store. hey meat is mixed with chicken, which is cheaper, of course. Not true pepperoni.

I've always thought the pizza was pretty bad. The only one in my opinion worth the calories is the 4 cheese white sauce pizza. They only make it once during a 7 day cruise.

Firstly, to the OP, I have not noticed any discernible difference in the pizza over the last two years. One should assume that an ingredient change would be done fleet wide and have created a similar change. We, like geoherb, have a slice or two each cruise. Most recently we tried it on the Grand this year at both Prego's and Alfredo's.

Secondly, to all the detractors of the Princess pizza: here is another perspective:

Food is subjective. Pizza is very subjective. The Princess pizza is very much better than that made by its mass market competitors; Celebrity, RCCL, and NCL. Compare it to , say, Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and it would not do very well. Compare it to the typical tourist pizza here in Williamsburg and it would be comparable.

To be fair, I would say that no food on any ship on any line when compared to our favorite restaurant's offerings, fares well in comparison. With perhaps the exception being the twice baked goat cheese souffle, which may be reason we cruise.

Ok, here comes Miss Snippy. Cruise Critic has given me so much information over the years and I love the ability to chat with you all. But I see a thread like this......... is it just that someone is bored or feeling whimsical? I mean, really, pizza good or bad on a cruise? I mean I have been on many cruises now and literally not once have I used up my calories allowed(a lot!) on a piece of pizza and I eat pizza at home a lot. There is so much to enjoy and learn and do on a cruise that this just seems a little much. Are there really that many people that eating pizza on a cruise is one of their high points?

Again, I have been up all night with a sick grandchild so that may be MY problem right now. But then you ask, here I am reading about the bad/good pizza thread so what does that say about me!??!!!! Grin.

Whatever, I hope those that really do enjoy pizza get on a Princess ship where it is good!!! For me I will never know. Well, may have to take that back in that I will be going on the Royal for the first time in March and will probably try Alfredo's - but order something besides pizza! Grin.

Have a great day all.

Pooh

Ok, here comes Miss Snippy. Cruise Critic has given me so much information over the years and I love the ability to chat with you all. But I see a thread like this......... is it just that someone is bored or feeling whimsical? I mean, really, pizza good or bad on a cruise? I mean I have been on many cruises now and literally not once have I used up my calories allowed(a lot!) on a piece of pizza and I eat pizza at home a lot. There is so much to enjoy and learn and do on a cruise that this just seems a little much. Are there really that many people that eating pizza on a cruise is one of their high points?

Again, I have been up all night with a sick grandchild so that may be MY problem right now. But then you ask, here I am reading about the bad/good pizza thread so what does that say about me!??!!!! Grin.

Whatever, I hope those that really do enjoy pizza get on a Princess ship where it is good!!! For me I will never know. Well, may have to take that back in that I will be going on the Royal for the first time in March and will probably try Alfredo's - but order something besides pizza! Grin.

Have a great day all.

Pooh

Going on Pacific for 29 days very soon, so will be able to decide, I always thought Princess Pizza was pretty decent for a cruiseship, its better than Celebrity which was awful last month on Summit.

Maybe its changed, I am not too picky and hardly ever have pizza except on a ship.

I think the thing about going on a cruise and spending all that money used to be that the food was better than what we have at home, however that seems to be increasingly less so.

For those of you that come from a part of the USA where the cheese on the pizza is plastic processed "pizza" cheese toppings, the "grease" on the Princess pizza comes from using a real cheese that loses the milk fat as it cooks. It is common in pizza that actually uses cheese and not the stuff that many USA chains use (of course, their clientele wouldn't know the difference).

I would be sad to hear that the Princess recipe has changed.

By the way, don't ever cruise MSC and have the pizza - they also use real cheese with the resultant milk fat ooze on top.

I LOVE PIZZA! One would have to go a long way before I complain. That being said we were on the Crown this past March and the pizza was terrible. I am talking Terrible. I only had it once. I was on the Carnival Spirit a few years back and the Pizza was awesome. Fresh, inventive, and really really good. We are going on the Grand next June hopefully something changes.

I was glad to see this thread because we just had a similar experience (last week) on the Regal. We are long time Princess cruisers (go back to Sitmar days) and have always looked forward to Princess pizza. On the Regal, the pizza in Alfredos is still the normal excellent Alfredo pizza. But when we went to get some pizza by the slice on deck, DW quickly said something is wrong. We both thought it was the cheese which does not even look right and has little taste. At first we thought, maybe its just a bad day or bad batch of cheese. But on subsequent tastings (over 10 days) the product never improved. It pains me to say that the Pizza on Celebrity is even better than what is being served on Princess. So we sure hope that Princess goes back to their previous cheese supplier.

Hank

For those of you that come from a part of the USA where the cheese on the pizza is plastic processed "pizza" cheese toppings, the "grease" on the Princess pizza comes from using a real cheese that loses the milk fat as it cooks. It is common in pizza that actually uses cheese and not the stuff that many USA chains use (of course, their clientele wouldn't know the difference).

By the way, don't ever cruise MSC and have the pizza - they also use real cheese with the resultant milk fat ooze on top.

Sad to say, but they are no longer using that kind of cheese. We used to think that Princess pizza compared favorably to NYC pizza. But now, its almost like they are using artificial cheese or some kind of very low fat product. it sucks!

Hank

Say it ain’t so. I always like the Pizza. I do like the pizza at Alfredo’s best of all. (y)

Tony

As we posted, there did not seem to be any change in the Alfredo Pizza quality....it seemed to be the same as in past years. And I am still a big fan of their Calzone.

Hank

Sad to say, but they are no longer using that kind of cheese. We used to think that Princess pizza compared favorably to NYC pizza. But now, its almost like they are using artificial cheese or some kind of very low fat product. it sucks!

Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just departed the Emerald and I agree that the pizza is not as good.

One day we had the four cheese pizza as it came out of the oven and it was not bad, but otherwise the pizza is not very IMO.

I always thought that pizza was only good if you had trails of fat running down to your elbows!

Doing the Sea Princess out of Sydney. Can we expect that the princess supliers are the same world wide. I can't imagine. Please do not mess with my wife's go to snack!! 😂

Princess pizza has never ever ever been good pizza. What it is: is the best freely available pizza on a cruise ship. A land based restaurant would be out of business within three months if they had the pizza freely available from cruise ships. Again... I repeat... Princess Pizza is not good pizza!

Now, let's talk shrimp cocktails...

Edited by neverbeenhere

Agreed - way too greasy usually for us - have to take napkins to wipe it away - not really worth it.

Pizza is free.....napkins are free.

Don’t understand the “not really worth it” comment.

AE_Collector

Just off Regal too, pizza was horrible! Alfredo's was delicious. Used to be my favorite deck snack. I'm from NY & know my pizza!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always thought that pizza was only good if you had trails of fat running down to your elbows!

Yep, fat is flavor. Flavor is good. Fat does not make you fat. Too much fat makes you fat.

Pizza is free.....napkins are free.

Don’t understand the “not really worth it” comment.

AE_Collector

One less person to clog up the pizza line. I take this as a positive.

Years ago, on the Ruby, the pizza was the Good princess pizza.

Last time on Princess, NOT so much. As others are describing. : (

I have also heard of lessor quality ingredients and loss of good pizza chefs.

The pizza at Alfredos was better on out last cruise than the bad stuff on deck.

But still not that good authentic italian pizza that Princess used to be known for.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Now I don't feel like it was me. We were on the Regal in September and pizza is always our go to meal when we first board the ship. Have always enjoyed it...even the grease dripping off. This time....ewwwwww. I agree with others. It just didn't taste right. The pepperoni was really weird too :( Told our friends who we usually cruise with and they couldn't believe it. Leave on the Royal on Wednesday and hoping that the pizza is better, but I'm not feeling optimistic :(

This is sad to hear. We always love the pizza on deck but hate the pizza in Alfredo's. From the comments here, it looks like we need to give Alfredo's another try. As has been said before, real pizza is dripping with fat. As in NY, you just need to dab it with a napkin before you eat it.

Sorry to hear this as we always eat pizza a couple times a cruise. Last month the pizza tasted off to us on the Emerald. It was dull and did not have the flavor we have enjoyed in the past. Thinking it might have been an off day I tried a slice another day and it still didn't taste right. I was kind of hoping that the recipe change was limited to the Emerald but it sounds like it's the same on other ships. Another favorite food on Princess ruined.

I’ve read that Alfredo’s has pasta too. Is that right? How is it? What are the choices?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We only started cruising in 2011. We have cruised 8 times - all with Princess. Other than Alfredo's or Cafe Corniche we have always found the pizza to be terrible. Any time we've had Lido deck pizza it was mostly tasteless. Very disappointing.

For many years Princess had a VP of F&B who was a real superstar.

He left the company a few years ago, resulting in a slow downward spiral for Princess food quality.

I wonder how low they can go.