oskidunker

Pizza on Princess has gotten really bad

They are trying to move us to a pay for everything extra . If you want something decent you pay extra.

Some are falling for it!

Edited by Reader0108598

Ok, here comes Miss Snippy. Cruise Critic has given me so much information over the years and I love the ability to chat with you all. But I see a thread like this......... is it just that someone is bored or feeling whimsical? I mean, really, pizza good or bad on a cruise? I mean I have been on many cruises now and literally not once have I used up my calories allowed(a lot!) on a piece of pizza and I eat pizza at home a lot. There is so much to enjoy and learn and do on a cruise that this just seems a little much. Are there really that many people that eating pizza on a cruise is one of their high points?

Again, I have been up all night with a sick grandchild so that may be MY problem right now. But then you ask, here I am reading about the bad/good pizza thread so what does that say about me!??!!!! Grin.

Whatever, I hope those that really do enjoy pizza get on a Princess ship where it is good!!! For me I will never know. Well, may have to take that back in that I will be going on the Royal for the first time in March and will probably try Alfredo's - but order something besides pizza! Grin.

Have a great day all.

Pooh

No offense intended - but when I go on a cruise (or hell, ANY vacation) the last thing in the world I worry about are "calories" :D

Hell, I've paid for that food - I intend to eat it!!

Just off Crown.

Sad to say the Mexican pizza was hideous - one bite was all I could do.

The pepperoni was slightly better' date=' but I didn’t finished that one either.

☹️

Count me on not-loving-it-list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']

Seriously? Mexican Pizza? :eek: Are you kidding?;p What’s that?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I had the pizza on the Emerald in January and I didn't think there was anything wrong with it at all.

Seriously? Mexican Pizza? :eek: Are you kidding?;p What’s that?

5650d7d1ca7ef5259873867231f477fd.jpg

I love pizza.

I love Mexican.

This was a weird concoction.

Giant chunks of sausage but no other real taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love pizza.

I love Mexican.

This was a weird concoction.

Giant chunks of sausage but no other real taste.

Perhaps if they actually put some sauce on the stuff it might have more flavor. They seem to use very little sauce and what they do use is flavorless. Apparently they have never heard of using spices in pizza sauce.

Sad to hear that it has changed across the line. We were on the Caribbean Princess and I thought the pizza was great. 9 months later on the Diamond Princess, it was basic cruise line cardboard pizza. I HOPED it was the difference between the ships and part of the world where we were cruising.

Due to so many different opinions, I think it might be safe to say that the pizza varies greatly from ship to ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like so many things, we all have our particular tastes. Pizza is no different. Just because of threads like this, my sister and I tried the pizza on the Caribbean Princess this past week. Both of us liked it. It was nothing special, but nothing wrong with it. It was thin crust pizza with the greasy skim from using real cheese.

We ate anytime and always shared tables and had a few people complain about the food, but I saw nothing wrong with the quality. A few dishes throughout the week were not to my taste, but they weren't BAD - they were just different than I'm used to or prefer. Others were different and I liked them better than what I'm used to. That's part of the experience - getting perhaps a different flavour combination than I'm used to.

Complaining that food is "terrible" when it simply isn't to your taste is just completely self-centered. Lots of people like this "terrible" food.

I came off the Crown Friday 1/12/18 and found the pizza really good. The margherita and pepperoni were daily choices and there was a third special of the day choice. All were solid. I especially liked the Nizzardo option with tuna filets and purple onion. Dough, sauce, cheese and toppings were all flavorful. I would recommend any without hesitation.

Off the Island Princess Tuesday... tried the pizza twice .. it was not good. No flavor and very skimpy on the toppings. Have not experienced this before... so might be ship specific 😩🍕

Just got off the Grand today. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD. Last year on the Royal it was pretty good and I gladly partook more than once. This time the "cheese" had a weird creamy texture and just tasted nasty in general. I thought Alfredo's would be better, but such was not the case. Truly vile!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Just got off the Grand today. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD. Last year on the Royal it was pretty good and I gladly partook more than once. This time the "cheese" had a weird creamy texture and just tasted nasty in general. I thought Alfredo's would be better, but such was not the case. Truly vile!!! :eek::eek::eek:

We LOVE Alfredo's pizza. Truly food is all subjective.

We LOVE Alfredo's pizza. Truly food is all subjective.

The problem with the pizza is it seems to be a negative work in progress. So while Alfredo's pizza might have been great on your last Princess cruise...it has possibly now changed over to the crappy cheese they recently started using in the pool deck venue. On our Dec Regal cruise we also thought Alfredos was fine....but wondered how long until it was downgraded to what we experienced upstairs. I will not even repeat what one of staff at Alfredo's (who has also worked at the other pizza venue) told us....but it was not complementary to Princess. Suffice it to say that the staff tries to do the best they can....with the available products. When the product changes, its the poor staff that has to hear all the complaints.

Hank

P.S. We pray that somebody at Princess has read this blog....and will make a decision to use their previous cheese product. We have an upcoming long cruise on the Golden...and would really hope to experience the quality Princess pizza we have enjoyed since Sitmar days.

I guess my question would be, how does the pizza compare to any "local" chain (don't want to give free advertising here) - I mean, I've eaten some REALLY bad pizza in my day - from New York to Florida to California - and all points in between, so I am not surprised when I get a bad slice..... :D

The problem with the pizza is it seems to be a negative work in progress. So while Alfredo's pizza might have been great on your last Princess cruise...it has possibly now changed over to the crappy cheese they recently started using in the pool deck venue. On our Dec Regal cruise we also thought Alfredos was fine....but wondered how long until it was downgraded to what we experienced upstairs. I will not even repeat what one of staff at Alfredo's (who has also worked at the other pizza venue) told us....but it was not complementary to Princess. Suffice it to say that the staff tries to do the best they can....with the available products. When the product changes, its the poor staff that has to hear all the complaints.

Hank

P.S. We pray that somebody at Princess has read this blog....and will make a decision to use their previous cheese product. We have an upcoming long cruise on the Golden...and would really hope to experience the quality Princess pizza we have enjoyed since Sitmar days.

My last cruise was over New Years on the Royal. Don't know if they changed anything yet in Alfredo's but I enjoyed my vegetarian pizza. Going on her again in just over a year and will be disappointed if their pizza is bad. Princess.... are you listening to all of us?

Just off Emerald Princess and happy to report pizza was as good as I remember!

Much, much better than on Royal last November.

That is great news. Perhaps somebody is really listening :)

Hank

Hank

I don't know if it will help any, but I made two mentions about it in my post-cruise survey -- The first was in the section asking about negatives in general and the second was in the section asking about pool deck food options.

I guess my question would be, how does the pizza compare to any "local" chain (don't want to give free advertising here) - I mean, I've eaten some REALLY bad pizza in my day - from New York to Florida to California - and all points in between, so I am not surprised when I get a bad slice..... :D

The worst pizza I've ever eaten was from Doughboys in Fort Lauderdale. Other than that, any pizza that I've ever eaten was better than what I experienced on the Grand. Frozen pizza would have been better. In fact, it made Holland America's pizza seem good by comparison (and I would only eat that if nothing else was available at the time).

Like so many things, we all have our particular tastes. Pizza is no different. Just because of threads like this, my sister and I tried the pizza on the Caribbean Princess this past week. Both of us liked it. It was nothing special, but nothing wrong with it. It was thin crust pizza with the greasy skim from using real cheese.

We ate anytime and always shared tables and had a few people complain about the food, but I saw nothing wrong with the quality. A few dishes throughout the week were not to my taste, but they weren't BAD - they were just different than I'm used to or prefer. Others were different and I liked them better than what I'm used to. That's part of the experience - getting perhaps a different flavour combination than I'm used to.

Complaining that food is "terrible" when it simply isn't to your taste is just completely self-centered. Lots of people like this "terrible" food.

I think this thread originally started commenting about the quality of the pizza offered poolside at Prego or Slice or whatever they call the pizza station at poolside. I don't think the discussion centered on Alfredo's Restaurant pizza. Princess did a lot of advertising that their pizza was named "Best Pizza at Sea" by USA Today. USA Today was referencing Alfredo's - not Prego. I personally have never had Alfredo's - I'll try it in March, but the quality of the pizza at poolside has definitely taken a downturn. The evaluation about the quality of the pizza is not "self centered," rather it is a complaint about the lack of consistency from their pizza. It used to taste very, very good but as time has passed, the quality has slipped noticeably. Princess has done something to negatively affect what used to be a delicious product.

So way back then, there was Sitmar, an Italian cruise line. The pizza and pastas were fabulous. When Princess bought Sitmar, they kept the Italian vibe strong--great pizza and pastas... Sounds like that has diminished. We are going on Emerald in March--we'll see :)

We were on Sitmar for two weeks back in 74 fabulous food and wait staff! We just got off the Emerald after 31 day cruise, the room service pizza was really bad and the pizza at the grill was not as good as it used to be as a matter of fact the food in general was a 5 at best! We are Elite and we were in a Suite and the best meal of the day was breakfast in the Crown grill for Suite guests. Very disappointed with the food on this trip.

We are currently on the Crown. The pizza is horrible!! The cheese is just mush. I am very disappointed. I always looked forward to my afternoon slice for a snack. It used to be so good!

Was on the Coral last week and the pizza was the same to me, both in Sabatini's (converted to Alfredo's on a couple of sea days) and at the pizzeria. Would suggest the specialty pizza of the day at the pizzeria, which always seems better than the standard pepperoni and Margherita fare.

Was on the Coral last week and the pizza was the same to me, both in Sabatini's (converted to Alfredo's on a couple of sea days) and at the pizzeria. Would suggest the specialty pizza of the day at the pizzeria, which always seems better than the standard pepperoni and Margherita fare.

We did a Panama Canal partial transit last spring and DH and I thought the food in general was better than we’d had in a dozen years on Princess, RCCL and Holland.

We are currently on the Crown. The pizza is horrible!! The cheese is just mush. I am very disappointed. I always looked forward to my afternoon slice for a snack. It used to be so good!

Veggie pizza was not bad, but the crust was a bit limp. And what were the white gooey globes on the pizza? Had consistency of silly putty.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Alfredo’s on the Grand. Hawaii 2018.

Veggie and meat pizza.

EA3A8916-EDB7-4A1C-A1B3-1E1642838638_zpsbwefoqrq.jpeg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We did a Panama Canal partial transit last spring and DH and I thought the food in general was better than we’d had in a dozen years on Princess, RCCL and Holland.

I have been reading this thread with interest. We will be on the March 21 Princess Coral Panama Canal cruise. In 2015 we sailed on the Coral to Alaska. At that time we tried and were surprisingly pleased by the pizza on the Lido deck. In January 2017 we sailed on the Royal and were so disappointed with their Lido deck pizza. It tasted like low grade frozen pizza out of a box. At the time I thought it was just the difference of the two ships, but now I see from the previous posts that the change appears to be system wide. We are both of Italian heritage and are quite familiar with good NYC pizza. We have also traveled to Italy on two different occasions. It would be nice to think that after seeing passenger reaction to their new product Princess will return to their old recipe but I am not hopeful.

Had the pizza last July on Emerald while in Alaska. Watched the cooks make it on pool deck and the pizza was great

Just got off the Grand a little over a week ago on our 15 day cruise to Hawaii and I had a couple of slices of pizza from the Prego grill (next to the grill with the burgers) and it looked the same as I have always seen and tasted the same, which is it was very good! Did not see a different in the cheese being used at all. I have not witnessed the pizza on Princess on any of my cruises (10 total) going downhill at all. I only ate it for one lunch.

We were on the Regal last week and ate pizza at Alfredos for our first time. Having read this thread beforehand, I pretty much went in with zero expectations. We spent many years living in Chicgao and enjoying good deep dish pizza. Now we’re on the west coast and enjoy a variety of hand-crafted pizzas with crisp crusts.

So, our take on the Regal Alfredos’s pizza?

Certainly better than a chain Papa Murphy’s, Dominos or Pizza Hut.

But, it was in no way a quality of pizza that would have us coming back again if it were a land-based restaurant. All that said, we had a pleasant

final evening on the Regal at Alfredos with a nice salad, pizza and a glass of wine. Certainly better than the offerings of meatloaf, turkey and trimmings and beefsteak in gravy being offered in the MDR.

I was also on the Crown last week and agree with galsmiley. The pizza was awful and nothing like the very good pizza I had last year on the Star. The cheese had a very unpleasant consistency and stuck to the roof of my mouth. I mentioned it in the post cruise survey. Everything else on the ship was wonderful.

I just got off the Crown and have bad news and good news.

I took all comments re pizza quality with the proverbial grain of salt because I know food is subjective. I am here to report the pizza on the Crown is horrible—worst I’ve had anywhere in the world. Calling the white gooey mess on top of the pizza cheese is an insult to cows, goats, buffaloes and any other cheese source.

Now the good news—to our surprise, we were chosen to attend the MTP cocktail party. I wasted no time asking one of the senior officers about the cheese. (I’m not identifying the officer or position to keep him/her from any possible retribution. Trust me, it was someone who would know about the issue, i.e., not the engineer.). The officer said the head office got lots of negative feedback from passengers, ship personnel and executive chefs. Phrases like “bloody awful” and “folks in the supply chain who nothing about pizza and cheese” were thrown around. As a result, Princess has gone back to the old cheese. Unfortunately, it will take time for the current stocks to disappear and the better cheese to make its way to the pizza makers on the ships. For example, the officer said it would be mid-April before the Crown used up the bad cheese.

So, have faith all ye pizza fans better days are coming.

Posted (edited)

I took all comments re pizza quality with the proverbial grain of salt because I know food is subjective. I am here to report the pizza on the Crown is horrible—worst I’ve had anywhere in the world. Calling the white gooey mess on top of the pizza cheese is an insult to cows, goats, buffaloes and any other cheese source.

Now the good news—to our surprise, we were chosen to attend the MTP cocktail party. I wasted no time asking one of the senior officers about the cheese. (I’m not identifying the officer or position to keep him/her from any possible retribution. Trust me, it was someone who would know about the issue, i.e., not the engineer.). The officer said the head office got lots of negative feedback from passengers, ship personnel and executive chefs. Phrases like “bloody awful” and “folks in the supply chain who nothing about pizza and cheese” were thrown around. As a result, Princess has gone back to the old cheese. Unfortunately, it will take time for the current stocks to disappear and the better cheese to make its way to the pizza makers on the ships. For example, the officer said it would be mid-April before the Crown used up the bad cheese.

On last cruise, the pizza gave me a bad case of non-stop diarrhea for the full 7 day cruise. :eek: It must have been bad cheese. Pizza cheese wasn’t that bad the cruise before. :mad:

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise, but stay away from the pizza! ;p

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I got off the Crown this morning. I used to love Princess' pizza at poolside. The pizza on this cruise sucked! I tried the pizza on Regal in February and it sucked too. What ever the powder is that they throw on the pizza clumps up and becomes watery at the same time. The good news is that Crown goes into dry dock at the end of March for 10 days. Maybe they will get rid of the cheese before the trans Atlantic crossing because they then have another dry dock scheduled for May.