antsp

Admin fee on tips

Not a Princess issue, or at least I hope not. A friend has just told me that RCCL take a admin fee out of the daily gratuity that passengers pay on their ships, they do this as they as the company collect and distribute the money, I didn’t believe this but on checking the RCCL website it is true. Has anyone heard of this being the case with Princess.

Not heard of it, nor noticed it on the bill. Unless it is included on the daily gratuity itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No it’s not on the RCCL bill, it’s just that the $13.50 a day doesn’t completely go to the crew

Wow!! That’s just soooooooo wrong. It’s like stealing from the people that work so hard...:mad::mad::mad:

I hope Carnival-Princess never decides to do it.

Tony

Any actual evidence of this? Have never heard of it and certainly hasn't been reported on RCI board or from my experience talking with RCI crew.

Per Carnival

For your convenience, Carnival automatically charges the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account.

The total amount is $12.95 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

• Stateroom service team - $3.90 per day
  • Dining room service team - $6.10 per day
  • Alternative services team* - $2.00 per day(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

Why the surprise here? This was the reason for auto tipping. Cruise lines do take a cut.

Wow!! That’s just soooooooo wrong. It’s like stealing from the people that work so hard...:mad::mad::mad:

I hope Carnival-Princess never decides to do it.

Tony

Sorry, but Princess and HAL both skim about 10% from the tip pool before it is paid to the crew. They use this money to pay credit card fees and to establish a "slush fund" to cover tip pool shortages on other ships when too many Brits and Aussies remove the auto-tips.

Sorry, but Princess and HAL both skim about 10% from the tip pool before it is paid to the crew. They use this money to pay credit card fees and to establish a "slush fund" to cover tip pool shortages on other ships when too many Brits and Aussies remove the auto-tips.

And you know this for a fact, exactly how? Not trying to sound snarky here, but it's easy to say something like without any real proof or reference.

Tom

This should be a good thread. I'm making popcorn.

lol ... yep! Brits, Aussies????? Opinions? :D

Not a Princess issue, or at least I hope not. A friend has just told me that RCCL take a admin fee out of the daily gratuity that passengers pay on their ships, they do this as they as the company collect and distribute the money, I didn’t believe this but on checking the RCCL website it is true. Has anyone heard of this being the case with Princess.

Princess does not give all of your auto tip to the crew. They use some for employee incentive programs and crew parties and other crew related things. Although this isn't an Admin fee it's deceptive because people believe all their tip money goes into crew pockets.

Per Carnival

For your convenience, Carnival automatically charges the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account.

The total amount is $12.95 per guest, per day and breakdown as follows:

• Stateroom service team - $3.90 per day
  • Dining room service team - $6.10 per day
  • Alternative services team* - $2.00 per day(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

So is 95 cents the admin fee?

And you know this for a fact, exactly how? Not trying to sound snarky here, but it's easy to say something like without any real proof or reference.

Tom

The Chief Purser on Princess is in charge of the tip pool program. At the conclusion of each voyage, my staff and I had to administer all the collections, reports, and other paperwork related to the financial aspects of the voyage.

I'm not going to post a Princess internal financial report on CC.

You can choose to believe it or not. It's not my problem.

My father always told me never let anyone handle your money. If you do they’ll figure a way to keep some. My father was a smart businessman. I guess this provides he was right. Thanks Dad!!!

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

I cannot recall seeing an official statement by any cruise line on the subject. Unless and until such appears we only have speculation.

lol ... yep! Brits, Aussies????? Opinions? :D

Yes. I always leave the auto tip in place but don’t tip every 5 minutes on top of it.

As a Kiwi who abhors the whole idea of tipping I would never stop the DSC but accept that as a final payment of all tipping except for our cabin steward usually. When in Rome etc!! So I do reluctantly tip while in the USA or Canada.

Tom

With you Tom, and also why just Brits and Aussies?? we have auto tips included in our fares on our cruises out of Aus but pay auto tips on all other cruises and just as many “other nationalities” talk about removing auto tips, not Brits and Aussies [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seriously?? Only .......

Didn't you know, we're the skinflints of the world, and regularly stiff the cruise staff as we don't adhere to the USA culture for over-tipping every man and his dog.

Excuse me I'm British and I have never removed the auto tips, the service would need to be very bad for me to do so. The crew work very hard and deserve the tips.

However I do wish they would just incorporate the charge into the cruise fare which I believe happens on cruises from Australia.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Wow, really? While we don't tip over here, when in Rome do as Romans do.

I will admit we struggled with who and how much to tip whilst travelling the US. After 3 months we were still clueless, however never touched our auto tips, that is just part of the fare.

Funny though that while waiting in the guest services line last year, everyone around me was removing their tips due to the fact the captain changed itinerary due to approaching hurricane. Only accent around me was the US one............

maybe it also covers cheap cruises for you americans and the bucket loads of OBC you all go on about,

So, Princess uses gratuity money to pay some of their operational costs; and, does not 'chip in' to meet guaranteed minimums when tips fall short - it's just 'redistributed' gratuity money?

That's interesting.

Don't forget the butter :p

Don't have enough... I'm in the dining room, it's rationed.

Maybe Princess could skim a little more off the gratuities and put it toward purchasing butter for the MDR?

I posted this schedule in another tread a couple of weeks ago.The information was taken from the respective websites. You can ask what the Alternatives Services or Other Hotel Services are, but neither indicate an administrative fee is included.

Carnival Cruise’s Auto Gratuity is $12.95, split as follows:

Housekeeping Team - $4.05

Dining Team - $6.40

Alternative Services - $2.50

RCCL’s Auto Gratuity is $13.50, split as follows:

Stateroom Attendant - $3.45

Dining Services - $6.10

Other Hotel Services - $3.95

:)

So, Princess uses gratuity money to pay some of their operational costs; and, does not 'chip in' to meet guaranteed minimums when tips fall short - it's just 'redistributed' gratuity money?

That's interesting.

Remember that all service charge money is not distributed on the ship you sailed.

I was surprised how many Princess Elite cruisers were unaware of that policy.

Annie

I cannot recall seeing an official statement by any cruise line on the subject. Unless and until such appears we only have speculation.

Don't ever expect a cruise line to make an official statement about this. Look at how quickly people have objected here.

Personnel are PROHIBITED from discussing internal policies. (I doubt an active member of the purser's staff would make statements on here.) Yet some have spoken up and there have been other discussions on here about this.

While Princess passengers are automatically charged the gratuity, Princess doesn't automatically distribute 100% directly to the people you think.

Ever wonder why waitstaff push those extras? Drinks and bottles of wine; after dinner drink specials; paid reservations for wine tastings; etc.

There are incentive programs in place, and making goal means a financial reward.

I doubt the portion not paid directly is ever used for anything unrelated, such as marketing or cleaning supplies. And perhaps that's why the cruise lines feel that "how" they state the distribution to guests and "what" they actually do both align.

What I find distasteful is a situation I witnessed two days ago on board Crown, at the Guest Services Desk. Two blue card passengers were learning through explanation by the Guest Service Agent why this charge was on each account. Their reaction seemed to indicate the charges were unexpected and perhaps not budgeted.

I am certain that I heard the Guest Service Agent inform then that they could have the charges removed.

I personally wish Princess would just bake in the fare what they felt they NEEDED to allocate towards those positions as a gratuity and incentive bonus/gratuity. This would eliminate the option of removing it.

If there's a service issue, speak up at the time it occurs. Rather then removing $13.95 (or whatever) per day simply because they forgot the lemon for the iced tea.

If there's a service issue, speak up at the time it occurs. Rather then removing $13.95 (or whatever) per day simply because they forgot the lemon for the iced tea.

You don't have to remove your tips entirely if they forgot your lemon, you can reduce them to $10 PP PD which is what the staff actually will receive and feel you have tipped the staff but not the Corp. offices.

You don't have to remove your tips entirely if they forgot your lemon, you can reduce them to $10 PP PD which is what the staff actually will receive and feel you have tipped the staff but not the Corp. offices.

It doesn't work that way: the entire tip pool is reduced. The percentage allocated for incentives etc. still remains.

I was making the point that the auto-gratuity shouldn't be touched, and I was implying that people remove it, justifying their actions using silly things, when in reality I personally think it was their own financial motivations.

With you Tom, and also why just Brits and Aussies?? we have auto tips included in our fares on our cruises out of Aus but pay auto tips on all other cruises and just as many “other nationalities” talk about removing auto tips, not Brits and Aussies [emoji35]

Porky, I'm a bit confused here. My comment had nothing to do with who does auto tips or not or with Brits & Aussies. Oh, well, it's Monday.... ;p

Tom

Being Canadian, we tip everybody all the time...it's a cultural thing. However, we don't care what everyone else does....just not our business. We take care of "our" staff as generously as we deem appropriate in cash at the end of the cruise in addition to the auto grats. Makes us happy, makes them happy. Win, win for all.

Every time I read one of these blogs I always think back to the motivation of some Marketing Executive, who in my opinion was brilliant.........the average and majority of people will leave the tips on (mainly from guilt), then the average and majority of people will provide additional tips to their servers because that was the way we were trained as customary and we don't want to look cheap when that steward is standing there waving good by!

Win win for the cruise line......they make up the difference for those who remove the tips and don't pay and in probably most instances, get their employees more tips than they normally would have received.

This is what I do and I know I tip more now than I used too!!!!! I'm just one of the sheep who fell into line! Always chuckle to myself but know that I have had excellent service and the additional tips are normally warranted.

Its amazing how the gratuity payment has evolved.... Early days you handed an envelope to cabin attendents, dining room servers, maitre'D. I prefered this as it was more personable and I found I actually received better service in those days. Of course, we then had the passengers who conveniently would not tip which did impact the staff who worked very hard all week.... Very sad. Other gratuitys for bar drinks, etc were added into the Point of sale purchase. That was it.

Fast forward some years and now all the ships are automatically adding and you have to go out of your way to adjust (if you need/want to). On top of this they are now adding in additional gratuity charges for other areas???? Of course the same still holds for point of sale purchases.

The additional monies added to the gratuity fees bothers me. Tipping is a choice and while I can live with auto billing tips for dining and cabin service... and I normally pay additional (cash), especially to cabin attendants, I feel the other admin/serv added on amount is another way of the cruise lines squeezing us. And I sometimes wonder if the dining/cabin staff get the full allocation as stated??

They say everything is for convenience..... Bull. Another way to sneak in additional amounts under gratuity money for services we have always expected and paid for in previous years!! I mean they did have guest services 30 years ago on ships!!

Things used to be so simple and proper....Now a days blurry and hidden!!

Being Canadian, we tip everybody all the time...it's a cultural thing. However, we don't care what everyone else does....just not our business. We take care of "our" staff as generously as we deem appropriate in cash at the end of the cruise in addition to the auto grats. Makes us happy, makes them happy. Win, win for all.

Exactly how we operate as well. If the staff we interact with daily (room steward, MDR server, bartenders at select places like Crooners) does a spot on job, we always give them a little extra cash in hand as discretely as we can.