geoffN

Wearing formal attire at dinner - Diamond Princess

Hi - we are first time cruisers. We will be travelling on the Diamond Princess next year around Japan.

I note it says on the Princess info site that some dinners on board will be formal; it infers as a male I then have to wear a dinner suit or tux.

How strict is this rule, if I do not have a dinner suit or tux for these meals will I be stopped from entering dining room? - thanks

Edited by geoffN
spelling

Not really that strict. You won’t be turned away with smart casual wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not really that strict. You won’t be turned away with smart casual wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is unfortunate that dress standards have slipped on Princess. Little enforcement. As I have said before...if Princess won't enforce the dress codes, get rid of them.:evilsmile:

Yes, I am 'old school.' We need some traditions kept.

As a female, I wear slacks and a blouse. If I were a guy I would wear slacks and a button down with a tie or bowtie or slacks and a sports coat. Just ignore the ridiculous "my life is ruined if everyone isn't from the 1950s wearing a tux and evening gown" people.

It is unfortunate that dress standards have slipped on Princess. Little enforcement. As I have said before...if Princess won't enforce the dress codes, get rid of them.:evilsmile:

Yes, I am 'old school.' We need some traditions kept.

Seen on Formal Night. Coral Princess MDR. 15 day Panama Canal Cruise. 10/2017. And he was not the only one wearing a ball cap at the MDR! Almost every night we saw 3-4 men wearing ball caps in the MDR. One guy even wore his ball cap backwards every night in MDR ;)

15D8B0DA-9AAB-4127-B536-CAD544A45975_zpsnvf0piph.jpeg

5463E3CA-70D8-42AE-8916-09DD198E3225_zpsvymyw0zx.jpeg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

My take on the guy wearing a cap is that he thinks this is what is required. Many different cultures vary and the guy is wearing a tie making me think he is not slovenly, just has a different set of rules in his mindset.

Regards John

My take on the guy wearing a cap is that he thinks this is what is required. Many different cultures vary and the guy is wearing a tie making me think he is not slovenly, just has a different set of rules in his mindset.

Regards John

Yeah, look at that table of men in suits and women in nice dresses. Must have completely ruined the taste of everyone else's food to have such a horrific site in the MDR.

Yeah, look at that table of men in suits and women in nice dresses. Must have completely ruined the taste of everyone else's food to have such a horrific site in the MDR.

The people in suits and nice dresses are entirely consistent with following the dress code. Quite often if you read the complete list on formal wear which a cruise line posts on its website you can find radical differences of what is permitted. National Dress often mentioned at the end, being an obvious example on many lists.

The focus of my previous post related to the man wearing a hat and a tie which to most are incongruous however he seems to have chosen this combination. Most people would not wear a tie when dressing down so I believe he thinks this is a welcome requirement and what is requested, therefore not disrespecting the code more like misinterpreting it..

I think your response missed the point of what I posted and seems a bit angry. I think you meant sight.

Regards John

I think he took hat and ran with it, not understanding the old school dress hats.. and the fact that hats are not to be worn indoors.... if you want to go that far back. At least I am trying to teach my kids no hats inside. Hahaha (the oldest is only 10)

Regards John

There was a sign prominently displayed at the MDR entrance in the evening: “no ball caps” (and other “no-no’s.”) Not too difficult to understand, no?:rolleyes: Go figure.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

There was a sign prominently displayed at the MDR entrance in the evening: “no ball caps” (and other “no-no’s.”) Not too difficult to understand, no?:rolleyes: Go figure.

He could have had a medical problem and needed the hat for protection.

With Diamond circling Japan I was wondering if he might not have English as a first language and nobody has advised on his faux pas.

Regards John

When my husband retired, he donated most of his business suits to Goodwill and kept only one dark suit if needed to wear to church or memorial services for friends. ( He is 70 years old). He never owned a tux. Because his dark business suit reminded him of going to funerals, he did not want to take it on the cruise. So, he wore a nice wool sportcoat, dress shirt with tie, pair of coordinating dress pants, and dark shoes. He looked perfectly fine in the MDR.

We didn't see any tuxes at formal night on our cruise.

You'll find lots of threads here that discuss what to wear on formal night. Lots of different opinions.

The MDR staff will accept sportcoats with open-necked dress shirts, dress shirts w/ neckties and no suit jacket/sportcoat, guayabera shirts with Dockers, etc.

Just try to avoid wearing swim trunks, flip-flops, and a ballcap to Formal Night.;p - EBC

When my husband retired, he donated most of his business suits to Goodwill and kept only one dark suit if needed to wear to church or memorial services for friends. ( He is 70 years old). He never owned a tux. Because his dark business suit reminded him of going to funerals, he did not want to take it on the cruise. So, he wore a nice wool sportcoat, dress shirt with tie, pair of coordinating dress pants, and dark shoes. He looked perfectly fine in the MDR.

We didn't see any tuxes at formal night on our cruise.

You'll find lots of threads here that discuss what to wear on formal night. Lots of different opinions.

The MDR staff will accept sportcoats with open-necked dress shirts, dress shirts w/ neckties and no suit jacket/sportcoat, guayabera shirts with Dockers, etc.

Just try to avoid wearing swim trunks, flip-flops, and a ballcap to Formal Night.;p - EBC

EBC-

Just curious, what Princess cruise were you on? When?

It seems odd, that no tuxedos were seen, since PAXs taking Formal Night photos is a big money maker for Princess.clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

We were on the Coral last month for 15 day Panama Canal cruise, and saw plenty of PAXs wearing tuxedos on all three Formal Nights.

EBC-

It seems odd, that no tuxedos were seen, since PAXs taking Formal Night photos is a big money maker for Princess.clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

We were on the Coral last month for 15 day Panama Canal cruise, and saw plenty of PAXs wearing tuxedos on all three Formal Nights.

Come on board the Crown from 9-17 December and you can see some awesome tuxedos! We have 2 formal nights and my buddy that owns Formal Wear of Myrtle Beach is hooking us all up with some pretty cool combos. In fact, on the second formal night, we will be breaking out the tails!!!

Don't really care what others wear...we dress up because we like to...rarely get a chance outside of cruising, weddings, or funerals. I just wish if Princess is going to have a "Dress Code", at least spell it out very specifically and then enforce it...otherwise, don't have one at all. Either way, we will still dress to the nines!!!

EBC-

We were on board the Emerald to Alaska the first week of September ( just a couple of months ago). You're right, there were a lot of passengers lined up to have their photos taken. I too was surprised not to see any tuxedos, but of course, maybe there were just no passengers in tuxedos during the time we went to early dinner, then to the early show in the theatre.

Maybe cruises to Alaska are less formal, as passengers need room in their luggage to pack more casual clothing for all the outdoor activities that take place on shore excursions. Or, maybe cruises around North America are more casual, and cruises around Europe are still more traditional and formal.

At any rate, we fit in just fine with the other passengers in the dining room, and the waiters did look very sharp and stylish in their tuxes. :) - EBC

Dress Code no longer enforced on Princess?

Yes, it is pretty much enforced - for the things that are specified NO-NO's which are no torn jeans, t-shirts, flip flops, etc .. which the policy states are forbidden anytime. I am sorry, but I get tired of looking up and pasting it in threads. It is all spelled out in the FAQ's for clothing recommendations. Everything is a recommendation or request except for some items that are not permitted at all in DR's.

If you are thinking of gowns and dark suits and tuxes, well that hasn't been "enforced" in living memory. I wonder if anyone knows when it was an actual enforced requirement, if ever.

Sorry but Page 16 that the dress police is constantly referring to is NOT enforced, strictly or otherwise. There are no written requirements that are enforced.

Hi - we are first time cruisers. We will be travelling on the Diamond Princess next year around Japan.

I note it says on the Princess info site that some dinners on board will be formal; it infers as a male I then have to wear a dinner suit or tux.

How strict is this rule, if I do not have a dinner suit or tux for these meals will I be stopped from entering dining room? - thanks

Basically, tuxes/gowns are NOT required. Depending where you are will determine overall dress. Around Japan you'll find a more dressy crowd. It gets pretty casual in the Caribbean, but that doesn't mean sloppy dressers(for the most part)In the Caribbean you could in most cases get away with smart casual(no jeans)and be ok. Some Maître D's are stricter than others. I'd bring a suit/sport coat/nice slacks/tie just in case. Judge how others dress & decide for yourself. There ARE those on this site who will insist you can dress down as much as you want. They are incorrect. There is some level of proper dress in the MDR at night. I'm sure to hear from the "Troll" about anytime now.. If you like to dress up, fine, otherwise just pretty much follow "How would you dress at a nice restaurant?" When I say nice, I'm talking "nice", not the Outback. Simply put, what's the nicest restaurant you'd normally take your spouse out to on your anniversary in your town? If you want to dress up like that, go for it. All the specialty restaurants are smart casual by the way. There it's about a relaxing nice dinner.

He could have had a medical problem and needed the hat for protection.

In the MDR? I mean to keep the woodpeckers away, maybe, but I don't see any in there. I do wear hats on board, but take them off in the dining room.

Basically, tuxes/gowns are NOT required. Depending where you are will determine overall dress. Around Japan you'll find a more dressy crowd. It gets pretty casual in the Caribbean, but that doesn't mean sloppy dressers(for the most part)In the Caribbean you could in most cases get away with smart casual(no jeans)and be ok. Some Maître D's are stricter than others. I'd bring a suit/sport coat/nice slacks/tie just in case. Judge how others dress & decide for yourself. There ARE those on this site who will insist you can dress down as much as you want. They are incorrect. There is some level of proper dress in the MDR at night. I'm sure to hear from the "Troll" about anytime now.. If you like to dress up, fine, otherwise just pretty much follow "How would you dress at a nice restaurant?" When I say nice, I'm talking "nice", not the Outback. Simply put, what's the nicest restaurant you'd normally take your spouse out to on your anniversary in your town? If you want to dress up like that, go for it. All the specialty restaurants are smart casual by the way. There it's about a relaxing nice dinner.

Nicely done. :cool:

I think your response missed the point of what I posted and seems a bit angry. I think you meant sight.

Regards John

Sorry the sarcasm didn't come through - was not directed at you but the people that complain that other peoples clothing choices somehow ruins their dinner/vacation are just ridiculous. I think they look nice - its a hat - woop de do.

If you like to dress up, fine, otherwise just pretty much follow "How would you dress at a nice restaurant?"

The dress code is actually nicer than the fanciest restaurants these days. I regularly wear jeans/t-shirts to the "best restaurants" in the world. But I'm just a horrible person I guess :evilsmile: but that advice probably works for most.

These "formal night" threads can get very contentious because there are so many different opinions on this issue. Best thing to do is first read Princess' guidelines, then take it from there. - EBC.

I love to dress up -- and do in some form every day of a cruise. But I never care what other passengers are wearing. Usually I just feel grateful that my husband dresses well and looks fantastic for me, as I try to for him.

Just got off the Diamond out of Tokyo. I found that the mostly Japanese passengers strictly followed the Princess guidelines for both formal and causal nights . The formal nights were more formal than other cruises. (I am happy to say!!) kimonos Some women wore kimonos which really added to the atmosphere. I just wore a dark business suit.

Just got off the Diamond out of Tokyo. I found that the mostly Japanese passengers strictly followed the Princess guidelines for both formal and causal nights . The formal nights were more formal than other cruises. (I am happy to say!!) kimonos Some women wore kimonos which really added to the atmosphere. I just wore a dark business suit.

Oh man kimonos sound amazing

In the MDR? I mean to keep the woodpeckers away, maybe, but I don't see any in there. I do wear hats on board, but take them off in the dining room.

More like an head wound where the hair hasn't had time to regrow.

It might look fairly disgusting to view at dinner sitting across the table.

To answer your last question - Outback at her request if not the Pho Noodle Restaurant.

To answer your last question - Outback at her request if not the Pho Noodle Restaurant.

Or maybe Quacker State and Lube near Permiantis.

Perhaps for you. Not for us. Outback is fine for casual, but not "special" occasions for us. We'd do Café Escadrille in our area. Or perhaps Lincoln Inn at the covered bridge in Woodstock, Vt.

NO you don't.

Perhaps for you. Not for us. Outback is fine for casual, but not "special" occasions for us. We'd do Café Escadrille in our area. Or perhaps Lincoln Inn at the covered bridge in Woodstock, Vt.

And of course we all must do as you do. NOT.

Seen on Formal Night. Coral Princess MDR. 15 day Panama Canal Cruise. 10/2017. And he was not the only one wearing a ball cap at the MDR! Almost every night we saw 3-4 men wearing ball caps in the MDR. One guy even wore his ball cap backwards every night in MDR ;)

15D8B0DA-9AAB-4127-B536-CAD544A45975_zpsnvf0piph.jpeg

5463E3CA-70D8-42AE-8916-09DD198E3225_zpsvymyw0zx.jpeg

When I was in the Army, if one entered the Mess (Officers Club) with a cap/hat on, one had to shout the bar, that is buy every one a drink, sacrilege. I would have thought the Head Waiter would have whipped those baseball caps off, quick smart. :evilsmile: Same rules apply at my golf club, no hats or caps in the bar or restaurant, if seen waring same, you are spoken to, any argument out and paraded before the Board of Directors. Way to go. We do have some decorum in Australia, believe it or not.

Come on you Military guys, back me up.

Edited by NSWP

Sorry but Page 16 that the dress police is constantly referring to is NOT enforced, strictly or otherwise. There are no written requirements that are enforced.

And that is sad that it is not enforced.:evilsmile:

With Diamond circling Japan I was wondering if he might not have English as a first language and nobody has advised on his faux pas.

Regards John

Would not do on Cunard or P&O UK John, from my experience.:halo: