Travelw

Amsterdam pre cruise Hotel

We are arriving one day early for our Avalon cruise. Avalon lists two choices for a hotel, Moevenpick Amsterdam City or Room Mate Aiyana. Looking for info on both hotels and any experiences if you used these properties.

Thanks

Dennis

Movenpick is right by the city docks for river cruises. Near the central train station and near where several canal boat cruises begin. We got a city pass that was good for 24 hours. If you are careful with planning you can cram in a lot between the day you arrive and boarding the ship in the afternoon. We used the card to visit Our Lord in the Attic, take a canal boat cruise, Van Gogh Museum, the Rijksmuseum, a canal side house museum and the Anne Frank house.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

nancyevans,

How much does the city pass cost? and where did you purchase the pass? Thanks for the info.

Ruimin

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We got the IAmsterdam city card at the visitor center across from Amsterdam Central Station. IAmsterdam.com/citycard

Carefully check the sights it covers. Check for opening and closing times and the cost without the card to see if it is worth it for you.

It's good for 24 hours so we were at Our Lord in the Attic minutes after 4pm. Then we did the canal tour. Those run late. Next day we were at the Rijksmuseum when it opened with an app we down loaded from the museums web site. It guides you through the museums top attractions. Then we went to the nearby Van Gogh. Snag! You have to stand in line with the card. Hour or two. Some where along the line we visited the canal side mansion and went thru the flower market. The card covers public transport too but we did take a taxi to Anne Frank's house.

Ruining, you do to prebook the Anne Frank House but the cost, except for a booking fee, are covered by the pass. You need to book a time before the 24 hour pass expects. In our case, this was before 4 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Riverships dock at various locations in Amsterdam. The PTA cruiseterminal is used by the large sea cruisehips. Only if they arenot there, then riverships often dock there. Other dockplaces for riverships are west and east of Centraal Station.

So any hotel in the vicinity of Centraal Station will be o.k.

Indeed Movenpick is at the cruise ship terminal. I donot know anything about the other hotel.

I've stayed at the Movenpick - very nice hotel. Large rooms, well appointed. We had a room overlooking the IJ - lovely.

We also stayed at the Movenpick for two nights. Enjoyed our stay. Easy to walk to the "center of town"

Tran stop across the street.

recommend it

We stayed at Movenpick before a cruise and upgraded to executive level. We had breakfast and then appetizers and wine/beer in evening and the best coffee machine in the lounge. It was pricey but very much worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the info. Our travel agent told us Avalon chooses the hotel, based on availability. From reviews I read either will be a good experience.

Thanks again

Dennis