Toothlessone

World Cruise 2019 from Tilbury

Hi--we are looking at it, but haven't booked. We are from Canada, and haven't travelled on this ship or line yet. Have you? I have been reading the reviews of this ship--doesn't sound too bad, and the price is right for a world cruise. We did one 10 yrs ago on the old QE2--really enjoyed that one.

Hi cool cruiser am looking at it but am not sure. I went out to Auckland last year on MV Astor and loved it but am worried that Columbus May be too large after the informality and friendliness of Astor. I have got quite a good quote from cruise hub on this and am very tempted. I particularly like the idea of the January departure. However I am also thinking about the South America trip on Marco Polo which is a 70 day affair and indeed I may just repeat on Astor next year but I would prefer January departure to October departure. I have to say I enjoyed cmv. No luxury but extremely comfortable.

Hi there. We too are considering the 2019 world cruise on Columbus so have booked a short 3 night trip on Columbus departing on 18 December 2017 to check out the ship (and C.M.V.).

Will let you know our feelings on return.

Hi Toothlessone. My wife and i are just back from 46 nights on Columbus and based on our experience i could think of nothing worse than 100 nights + on Columbus,

I would be the first to agree that CMV have time to put things right and having completed 9 cruises to date our best by far was on Marco Polo so we were very dissaponted by our experience

So what was wrong? The food was not good, on marco polo it could be described as fine dining on Columbus it was school dinner quality. There were lots of complaints to the head chef who blamed the poor food on budgets which only allowd him to buy poor quality ingredients.

Similarly out of 46 nights we had just two guest entertainers, the other 42 we had to rely on a very hardworking showteam, and of the two guest entertainers one was just about OK and the other embarassingly awful. I personally spoke to the cruise director regarding this and as with the chef he blamed it on budgetary restrictions.

Another issue very relevant to a world cruise could be the laundrette, unless CMV do something to change the system. Currently you have to buy tokens from reception, these aer in very short supply so other passengers tend to stockpile and you coud spend a very long time waiting for tokens to become available.

I could go on, the layout of the theatre is very poor, there were issues with service in the MDR etc, etc.

I always read reviews with the thought in the back of my mind that the only people who write reviews are those with an axe to grind but in this case CMV really did let themselves down which is very surprising bearing in mind this is their proud new flagship.

The only positive was our cabin, i have never experienced such generous storage space.

Re our previous post in this thread. Now back from our short 4 day trip on Columbus and can report that as a result we have booked the 120 night 2019 world cruise. The whole experience is a vast improvement on our only

other CMV ship which was Ocean Countess.

I fully understand that 4 days is a short time to really appreciate the pros and cons but we have booked the world cruise on the 'feel' we had on the ship. This experience is based on previous cruise's ( in excess of 40 including

3 previous full world cruise's).

We personally rated the food quality better than P&O and on a par with Fred Olsen.

The cabins and storage space are certainly larger than most of the other cruise lines which we have used.

I have read the negative comments outlined in the previous post and I am merely stating my opinion.

I am unable to comment on the entertainment, only to hope that it is rectified prior to January 2019!.

As a solo traveller I am booked all the way on the World Cruise and couldn't be more pleased to be voyaging on the MV Columbus. The positive comments on this vessel's previous trips in 2017 gave me the confidence to book. I always ignore the naysayers unless there is an overwhelming majority of them. Yes, there will always be the odd matter or two which could be improved and nowhere/nothing is 100% perfect. You have to take the rough with the smooth and the prospect of all the wonderful places we visiting will certainly outweigh any minor difficulties I am sure. Smile, we've got a great voyage ahead! I am 71 and it promises to be the highlight of my lfe.

I am joining MV Columbus in Singapore I cannot wait.

I took five cruises with CMV 2017 on Columbus, Magellan and Marco. Found it good value for money.

The fat magician with the poorly leg was the worst act I have ever seen. The lecturers were good and the other acts were entertaining, David and Tony were my favourite cruise directors, they did a grand job.Happy to be sailing CMV next year.:)

Hi, myself and my friend are both booked on this cruise! Looking forward to seeing more of the world as I am heading on a cruise around the canaries in April as well. This is my friend's first cruise so I think she is brave!

Greetings- We are a brace of mobile seniors and attracted by the world itinerary and the opportunities available on the shore days, in particular the chance to form “small tour” groups which we are exploring via web sites- great fun.

Hi,we are David and Sue from the UK,we would be interested in joining small private tours groups.We are only doing the Singapore to Tilbury section as we did the other half a couple of years ago on the Astor.

Hi David and Sue, would be delighted to make your acquaintance when you embark at Singapore and discuss “small tour” opportunities with you over beer perhaps. Have an interesting quote of a visit to Petra from Aqaba you may care to consider, will keep you posted if we unearth anything you may wish to see warm regards Keith and Sara

Hi,we are David and Sue from the UK,we would be interested in joining small private tours groups.We are only doing the Singapore to Tilbury section as we did the other half a couple of years ago on the Astor.

I am joining you and can't wait. A friend of mine did this year's Around The World Cruise and had a great time, I met her for lunch today and she was full of it!! See you next year.

The WC on the Columbus is s great value when you compare it to other cruise lines. I wouldn’t expect the same quality of food as one would get on Viking or Oceana for 49K pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I travelled on the WC 2018 Tilbury to Tilbury and it was a wonderful experience. Read my report if you can find it on the CMV reviews. If I had the time I would certainly book another world cruise with this company. They may not be the best in terms of luxury but value for money and with a very willing friendly crew they come out tops in my book. Hope you all enjoy WC 2019.

I travelled on the WC 2018 Tilbury to Tilbury and it was a wonderful experience. Read my report if you can find it on the CMV reviews. If I had the time I would certainly book another world cruise with this company. They may not be the best in terms of luxury but value for money and with a very willing friendly crew they come out tops in my book. Hope you all enjoy WC 2019.

I’m looking at this cruise line very seriously now for a WC, probably in 21 or maybe 22.

Testing the waters out on the Columbus next summer with a cruise thru the Fjords.

I don’t need luxury, or zip lines and water slides, and I think 1400 passenger size will be perfect.

I’ll travel next year with my 90 year young mother, but my WC will be solo and CM offers a reasonable alternative to the 100% single supplement.

Pleased to learn you were happy and satisfied. Now I must go dig thru the boards in search of your review.

And I never pay any attention to poor reviews about food on ships. Food is just too subjective and I’m not a pretentious foodie anyway.

Nice news for you in the World Cup. Good luck.

My friend and I are booked for Jan 19 and very much looking forward to it. We are knee deep in planning from trips to clothes! I would be very interested in corresponding with a positive person who did the world trip this year. I would like them to share experiences and recommendations...anyone out there?

Also looking forward to making new acquaintances and enjoying this trip together. I sailed on this ship several times as Ocean View and always had a good time. I will make my own mind up but fully attend to make the most of this amazing opportunity to see the world

Hi, First of all, very envious of you; Second, I did the Columbus maiden world cruise all the way round in January and had a whale of a time. I have mostly positive views of the trip and post a review earlier. You should be able to find it under my name or that of "Beltonian" (my alter ego). I was a solo traveller in an inside cabin and it was my first ever cruise. People thought I was mad or brave to do it until I came home and then they became very jealous of all the wonderful places we had visited and my experiences of my (generally) pleasant fellow passengers. If there is anything specific you want to know please tell me. If I can help I'll be only too glad to do so. Now saving up to repeat the voyage in 2021 providing the fares haven't gone up too much.

Here is my review if it helps:

can't believe the moaning about this cruise by earlier contributors. What were they expecting? 5* service and amenities at 3* prices? Get a life!

I have to say that almost everyone I met on board - and I met a great number over 4 months - all agreed how wonderful the cruise had been and, from some, that they were already looking forward to their next one with CMV. The cabin (I had a solo on Deck 10) was more than adequate with 2 single beds, two chairs (one a comfy armchair, the other a desk type), a long desk, plentiful drawers, hanging space, a fridge, a safe and a small, but perfectly good, bathroom with shower. The cabin steward was polite and helpful at all times.

I ate in both the restaurant and the buffet. There was always at least 7 dishes on offer for both lunch and dinner as well as cold food. They catered for vegetarians and vegans too. OK, the puddings could have been a bit more imaginative but the staff in both places could not be faulted. It is totally unreasonable to bring up their wages as one other reviewer did. Those I spoke to were very happy with their wage level, given that it was almost 3 times what they would earn in similar positions in their own countries. They couldn't have been more welcoming and attentive if they had earned 10 times as much.

Nobody forces you to go on the ship's shore excursions and you know the prices in advance of the cruise. If you think they are too expensive then don't go but book your own privately. I went on 20 of Columbus's trips and enjoyed them all. Obviously some were better than others e.g Petra, Grenada and Papeete to name a few.

The entertainment was,admittedly, variable in quality; the permanent ship's singers and dancers were excellent; the visiting artistes less so. The 45 minute lectures which took place during sea days were invariably interesting and the speakers well received.

I paid £39 for 1 GB of internet and I never understood how people had connectivity problems with it; my android phone picked it up without too much difficulty 99% of the time.

All in all I was more than happy with my experience and would certainly repeat the exercise providing the prices stayed at a reasonable level. Some contributors seem ready to complain about any little thing. Did they bring these "complaints" to ship;s staff at the time? As for cleanliness throughout? I found it spotless!

Thank you for your reply I will certainly be in touch. Great to hear positive feedback. I’ve cruised on this ship when it was the Ocean Village 2. I’ve also cruised other lines but I have fond memories of this ship.

One question on visas. Did you do them yourself? If yes did you have to go up to the

Chinese embassy? Any advice on these very welcome.

Hi,

Australian one was free and took 10 mins at most online. We were told - and it turned out true - that we didn't need a visa for China if you had booked a ship's shore excursion. The Indian one cost me £60 and the Sri Lankan £27 both obtained online. All very straightforward. Any others needed were done by the ship but I am not aware of being charged. Obviously all this depends on nationality. I am British. Hope this helps.

Boltonian, appreciate your honest review. The fact you are saving to repeat in 2021 says volumes. From what I can tell, this appears to be a reasonably nice cruise at a reasonably nice price. I don’t want a lots of frills; I just want the experience.

I must say it’s a surprise to hear your first cruise was a RTW, but why not? Good for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Boltonian, thanks for your input. Regarding the visit to China, we have 2 ports of call the first to Tianjin followed by Shanghai. In order to be exempt from a Chinese visa do we have to book a ship's shore excursion at both ports? (Having visited both ports previously we prefer to tour independently where possible).

Do MSC provide maps of each port visited for independent travellers?

Thanks again.

:)Thank you this helps a lot . Not sure why the cruise ship states we need a visa then . Much appreciated I’m sure I’ll have more questions 👍

Hi,

Australian one was free and took 10 mins at most online. We were told - and it turned out true - that we didn't need a visa for China if you had booked a ship's shore excursion. The Indian one cost me £60 and the Sri Lankan £27 both obtained online. All very straightforward. Any others needed were done by the ship but I am not aware of being charged. Obviously all this depends on nationality. I am British. Hope this helps.

Re visas. We only had one port in China - Shanghai - so can't comment on a 2 port visit there. My suspicion (and I cannot confirm this) is that if you do not travel with a CMV shore excursion you will probably need visas. The position needs to be clarified with CMV I would suggest.

The shore excursions people onboard do provide advance maps of the places to be visited but, be warned, they can be a little short of detail.

I've been told I wont need visas for DAY TRIPS arranged through the cruise line as I'm technically still resident on-board ship, but I will need a visa for my China excursion as it's a 4-day long overland excursion and OVERNIGHT STAYS count as actually visiting the country. Makes sense to me... and hope it helps.

This is certainly the position as I understood it during my 2018 trip. China is a fascinating place and I wished we stayed longer than we did. The tours we did in Shanghai city and in the watertown (about an hour away) were well organised and the guides extremely informative and friendly.

Another question I have is around all the different currencies for each of the countries we visit. Do you have any advice on how much you may need?

Or do you recommend using a credit card?

Thank you

A further question in Halong Bay is it possible to book a private junk boat for a cruise rather than do the ship excursion?

Thank you

When I went I took a currency card loaded with around $500 as well as $250, AUS$ 300, NZ$150, Euros 200 in cash. I found dollars were very much accepted virtually everywhere (including China) plus Euros in Europe and French Polynesia. In Hong Kong I changed some US$ into HK$. I thought it best not to change too much there as it is difficult to change those back to £ on return to the UK. Overall that the amounts I took were more than sufficient for my needs as a solo traveller. Obviously much depends on what sort of things you want to spend your money on. Some people spent quite a lot more then me especially those that bought pearls in Tahiti.

In addition I took my credit card (wanted by the cruise line in any case for onboard expenditure) but never used it in anger.

Re Halong Bay. We didn't berth there but a year before my son and daughter-in-law went there and went on a private cruise which they had arranged through their Vienamese travel agent prior to going. I imagine that somewhere on this website someone with experience will be able to assist you.

Re Halong Bay. We didn't berth there but a year before my son and daughter-in-law went there and went on a private cruise which they had arranged through their Vienamese travel agent prior to going. I imagine that somewhere on this website someone with experience will be able to assist you.

Most privately organized Halong Bay tours involve an overnight on a larger vessel with the necessary accommodation and facilities. Assuming your cruise is only a day trip to Halong Bay you may be able to organise a day tour on line in advance or maybe organise something at short notice when you tender ashore. It all depends on your arrival and departure times.

Most privately organized Halong Bay tours involve an overnight on a larger vessel with the necessary accommodation and facilities. Assuming your cruise is only a day trip to Halong Bay you may be able to organise a day tour on line in advance or maybe organise something at short notice when you tender ashore. It all depends on your arrival and departure times.

I have booked a half day tour coming fromHanoi with Blue Dragon Tours if you send me your email I will send you the details. Also have seats left on Jerusalem and Dead Sea tour from Ashok- max 16 persons if interested.

:)Thank you this helps a lot . Not sure why the cruise ship states we need a visa then . Much appreciated I’m sure I’ll have more questions 👍

Based on the advice from CMV that a Visa was required I have just arranged them for my wife and I at a cost of £350. No sooner had I done that when an article appeared in the travel section of the Independent where they state that travel companies are giving incorrect information for cruises and that for limited ports of call a visa is not required. The article says British passengers can arrive from the UK and stay up to six days in and around the city without a visa. There are certain caveats about arrival port, timings etc to qualify but all appear to be met on the WC2019 itinerary.

Whilst this is too late for me I hope it helps any others who have not yet applied for the visa. Google "Chinese Visa, 144 hours" and you'll find all the info you need

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, Pollyca said:

Thank you for your reply I will certainly be in touch. Great to hear positive feedback. I’ve cruised on this ship when it was the Ocean Village 2. I’ve also cruised other lines but I have fond memories of this ship.

One question on visas. Did you do them yourself? If yes did you have to go up to the

Chinese embassy? Any advice on these very welcome.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, Pollyca said:

The Columbus was, in fact, Ocean Village 1 and we sailed on her to the Caribbean and eastern Med.  I have to say that the CMV offering is far below the standard we experienced on Ocean Village, both in terms of food and entertainment.  I agree that the prices are more reasonable than a lot of other cruise lines and you have to decide whether that is your overriding factor when booking.  For a long cruise, with many days at sea, I would be looking for a much higher level of entertainment.

Hi, thank you for your feedback

I have sailed on Ocean Village 1&2 plus many other lines. 

I realise the Columbus is now sailing under a new company. 

Deciding factor of cruise was not price but destinations. It also needed to go to New Zealand where my friends daughters live. 

Another positive is the larger state rooms when comparing to P&O. 

I will post again after the cruise with my findings. I am hoping after their first world cruise they will have taken some of the more negative feedback and improved on the weaker areas. 

Happy Cruising 

Hi everyone, this seems like a very friendly thread! We're signed up for all 120 days of the 2019 WC, and we're very much looking forward to it. January 5th can't come soon enough. 

We were just in the process of applying for our Chinese visas, when some of the info posted by other travellers here has made us pause. From what we've been able to glean, the 144hour temp visa is definitely a thing, but in this link it states that: 

B refers to only one of the following three areas in China, and you cannot have a cross-area visa-free tour among the three:

1. Shanghai, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang
2. Beijing, Tianjin, and Hebei
3. Liaoning

Now, of the Chinese stops on the WC, that leads me to believe that you can visit either Shanghai OR Beijing on the 144hr visa, but you'll need a proper paid-for one if you want to visit both? Can someone shed a bit of light on if it works like this in the breach? The second visit having a £350-or-so bureaucracy-drenched premium does seem like something of an ask. 

Many thanks in advance.