Cruise Critic Community
Toothlessone

World Cruise 2019 from Tilbury

Wow Lormor it must have been good,  rebooking speaks volumes! 

My friend and I are really looking forward to this trip. We’ve bitten the bullet and booked lots of trips taking the hassle out of visiting these exciting places.

hopefully we will be seated for dinner with people as enthusiastic as you all are. 

Look forward to meeting to you all my name is Pauline and I am also counting down the days. 

Pauline, I'm sure you'll have a great time. We met up every week on the RTW to share what we knew about upcoming ports. The ship isn't as glamorous as some but the crew were great and we made lots of friends. Which trips have you booked?

On 13 November 2018 at 8:29 PM, donnardouglas said:

How wonderful for you!!! It must have been a wonderful adventure for you to be doing it again in 2019 😃 it makes me even more excited now after hearing how much you enjoyed it! 

Counting down the days now 😃😃😃

Donardouglad, we hadn't been with CMV until recently. We booked the RTW because of the itinerary, we were nervous because of the reviews but we had a great time, had fun, ate too much and joined in with all the fun. On sea days I was so busy my husband had to put my lunch in our cabin fridge! I hit the ground running every day! 

Hi Lormor

I’m away at the moment so I don’t have my list to hand but I’ve booked about 25 trips from the cruise. some of the internet as well. I know many of them we could have booked ashore and probably cheaper 

I don’t go home till the 9th Dec and I will pick your brains then as to whether any of them you would suggest doing differently 

px

Donardouglad, your comments are great as like you I’ve read some bad reviews 

I'm getting very excited there’s been so much planning and research and sounds like we are going to be kept very busy

my friend and I plan to embrace it all. Did people dress up much, as we will regardless. Fancy dress costumes are also coming together 😊.. 

1 hour ago, Pollyca said:

I'm getting very excited there’s been so much planning and research and sounds like we are going to be kept very busy

my friend and I plan to embrace it all. Did people dress up much, as we will regardless. Fancy dress costumes are also coming together 😊.. 

You're going to have a brilliant time with that attitude! There was quilt making, writing group, whist, choir, amateur dramatics, poolside events and lots more I can't think of off the top of my head. Do you have a list of the theme nights? We had details last time but don't have any information this time. 

Happy travels!

Hi off the top of my head we have the following themes 

Irish

Oriental

british

Indian

Caribbean 

3 hours ago, Pollyca said:

You sound like you have the right attitude. Some people on this site don't even dress for formal nights and think this is good! I will be looking at fancy dress next but can't take too much because of traveling to Tilbury with luggage Have researched and have plans for every port 

I did 20 ship organised trips on this year's RTW so if anyone wants a critique of any they may be thinking of going on I would be happy to give you my opinion of them.  I do realise that a number of 2019 ports are different from ones we did this year but places like Petra are always on the agenda.

Hi there, we are doing singapore to tilbury, we have booked ship excursions for cochin{back waters},mumbai{elephants caves} and Petra.Interested in penang,ashdod,salalah and langkawi if you have any info

2 hours ago, tursiops said:

Hi there, we are doing singapore to tilbury, we have booked ship excursions for cochin{back waters},mumbai{elephants caves} and Petra.Interested in penang,ashdod,salalah and langkawi if you have any info

Hello Tursiops, we did the backwaters trip last time, it was great. We stopped off at a church,  saw the Chinese fishing nets, then lunch at a lovely hotel by the sea and after that onto the houseboats up the river. We enjoyed the trip and saw lots of interesting places on the coach. If you can, try to find the tv show with Timothey West and Prunella Scales making the same trip. The coach time was quite a while but worth it for the boat trip.

We did our own thing in Penang, the hop on hop off bus was a short walk from where we docked. Little India is close to where we docked as well and although it's small it was full of colour.

Petra is a must. We did it on a previous trip, not the RTW. The walk down is easy, the walk back is uphill but fine if you take your time, make sure you take plenty of water.

we lived in Oman but every time we planned a trip to Salalah it got cancelled! I'm hoping 4th time lucky! 

thank you for info ,yes we did watch timothy west and prunella scales trip that's where i got my idea from

I did the Petra trip in April.  The coach journey there takes approx 2 hours (with a short 20 minute "comfort" stop at a shop en route) but the views are spectacular if the weather is clear.  Tip: sit on the left hand side of the coach going.  Pace yourself at Petra.  Easy to do too much, especially if the weather is very hot (it was mid 30Cs when we were there).  However besides the Treasury the amphi-theatre is well worth the shortish walk.  Slow and sure on the way back up the hill to Petra Town.  We had a couple of elderly ladies' slip as the path surface varies quite a lot and some of the shale can be a bit slippery.  Probably, though, one of the greatest experiences I have ever had in my life.  That and going underneath Sydney Harbour Bridge in early morning brilliant sunshine to our berth in Balmain.  Do hope you enjoy.

I also did a tour in Penang ("City and Heritage") through the ship.  It was a 3 hour morning trip and covered a couple of temples (both well worth a visit if you're not "templed out" by then!), a restored house and the Chinese Jetties - basically shops on a pier!  Actually, the prices there are very reasonable.  I thought they would be a bit of a tourist trap but I bought a couple of decent T shirts for less than £4 each which have washed well and have not shrunk or lost their colour.  It's a good city to walk around too as I did in the afternoon.  Fort Cornwallis is worth a stroll to as is the world famous Eastern and Oriental Hotel if you fancy a cool refreshment. Both not far from the berth.  In general a lovely, and in my experience safe, place.

We got a taxi outside the port in Kerala Saw all the sites, went on a boat ride etc. Much better value than the ship. In Penang we got a local bus (203 204) from the nearby bus station and went on the funicular to Penang Hill where ex-pats used to live Very good. Then we had a walk to nearby Chinese jetties where each clan has its own jetty. This time we plan to get the same bus to the Kek to Lok Si temple then do a self-guided walking tour in Penang. Agree that Petra is well worth doing if a little taxing coming back 

17 hours ago, Lormor said:

Hello Tursiops, we did the backwaters trip last time, it was great. We stopped off at a church,  saw the Chinese fishing nets, then lunch at a lovely hotel by the sea and after that onto the houseboats up the river. We enjoyed the trip and saw lots of interesting places on the coach. If you can, try to find the tv show with Timothey West and Prunella Scales making the same trip. The coach time was quite a while but worth it for the boat trip.

We did our own thing in Penang, the hop on hop off bus was a short walk from where we docked. Little India is close to where we docked as well and although it's small it was full of colour.

Petra is a must. We did it on a previous trip, not the RTW. The walk down is easy, the walk back is uphill but fine if you take your time, make sure you take plenty of water.

we lived in Oman but every time we planned a trip to Salalah it got cancelled! I'm hoping 4th time lucky! 

You haven't missed much in Salalah! One of our worst ports for interest

On 11/18/2018 at 12:29 PM, vfillin said:

You haven't missed much in Salalah! One of our worst ports for interest

Anyone able to share the ports where there was a shuttle laid on into town - thinking of places like Laem Chabang et al, where the ports look remote. Thanks 

Re shuttle buses.  As far as I can recall, and using only those ports where both the 2018 went and where those in 2019 are due to visit, we had shuttles at Sydney (we berthed in Balmain not Circular Quay) and Hong Kong (we berthed at the International Cruise Terminal or what used to be the old Kai Tak Airport and a bus took us to Diamond Hill Station where we had to catch the efficient Metro for onward travel into Kowloon and the Star Ferries to HK Island.  The Terminal is about 10kms from Kowloon City centre).  There is nothing at Laem Chabang itself other than a few tourist-type stalls in the terminal.  Passengers that got off there were going on organised trips to Bangkok.  Many ports, of course, you can just disembark and either walk or take a taxi into the relevant town/city.  There could - others may know - have been shuttles at Yorkey's Knob and Port Klang but I went on shore excursions there so cannot remember.  Sorry.  As for Cristobal, which must be the dreariest, and arguably the most unsafe,  port of call on the voyage, I would avoid the shuttle.  It takes you through some very dodgy areas to a single street where, having gone through a security barrier, there are a few shops, some of which offer free wifi.  However, I wouldn't even bother disembarking there if I went again.

Thanks, Boltonian.  I see Cristobal's off the itinerary in 2019, but good to know about the HK location.

Mumbai: I'm currently booking a private excursion and wondering if there's another 2/4 people (likely to be Mumbai first-timers) who'd potentially be interested in joining us?  The aim is to keep the group reasonably small.

It's a port pick-up, followed by a mix of driving and walking around the main city sights, then (after a brief cafe lunch-break) there's a (not-for-profit) walk led by a local student around the Dharavi (aka 'slum' ) working neighbourhood, viewing the recycling eco-systems, lasting about two hours, before a drop-off back to the ship. 

Please note: There's specifically no shopping stops on this tour, and no photography is permitted in Dharavi, out of sensitivity to the inhabitants.  The tour last seven hours in total,  there will be walking and standing on very uneven ground, and the April temperature and humidity will likely be high, so you will need to be fit and mobile to cope with a fairly strenuous day!

If you think you'd be up for this, please pm me for details.

15 hours ago, Walrusonboard said:

Thanks, Boltonian.  I see Cristobal's off the itinerary in 2019, but good to know about the HK location.

Mumbai: I'm currently booking a private excursion and wondering if there's another 2/4 people (likely to be Mumbai first-timers) who'd potentially be interested in joining us?  The aim is to keep the group reasonably small.

It's a port pick-up, followed by a mix of driving and walking around the main city sights, then (after a brief cafe lunch-break) there's a (not-for-profit) walk led by a local student around the Dharavi (aka 'slum' ) working neighbourhood, viewing the recycling eco-systems, lasting about two hours, before a drop-off back to the ship. 

Please note: There's specifically no shopping stops on this tour, and no photography is permitted in Dharavi, out of sensitivity to the inhabitants.  The tour last seven hours in total,  there will be walking and standing on very uneven ground, and the April temperature and humidity will likely be high, so you will need to be fit and mobile to cope with a fairly strenuous day!

If you think you'd be up for this, please pm me for details.

Hi Might see you there We have already booked this with Reality Tours

Hi,  where is the ship stopping now before going through the Panama Canal?  I thought Cristobal was always a preferred berth being so close to the canal to take on fuel and stores.

Hello, we have our Chinese visas but got a letter from CMV yesterday saying the Chinese authorities require our fingerprints. Has anyone else been sent this information? I thought that once we had our visas we were able to travel. 

21 minutes ago, Lormor said:

Hello, we have our Chinese visas but got a letter from CMV yesterday saying the Chinese authorities require our fingerprints. Has anyone else been sent this information? I thought that once we had our visas we were able to travel. 

Hi.

If you obtained your Chinese visa prior to 12 November 2018 there is no necessity to provide fingerprints or take any further action.