Cruise Critic Community
Toothlessone

World Cruise 2019 from Tilbury

more advice needed if possible and some questions if anyone can help

Hamilton Island - I have booked to trip to the Whitsundays from the ship it is £79 for 2 hours and seems a little expensive. Is this trip easy to arrange one I am there?

Yorkeys Knob - I have booked the Great Barrier reef for £149 from the shop. it is a full on day (8hrs) any advice recommendations appreciated if this is good value

Vietnam - Mekong Delta - I have booked this trip from the ship £109. This one is high on my agenda and I felt this was the best way to see it. Any thoughts

Thailand Ko Samui I have booked the highlights of Samui £49 can you do this yourself when you get of the ship?

I have quite a few other trips booked but I am revisiting them to ensure that we have booked the best ones so any advice suggestions gratefully received

Hi again I am starting another set of questions this time on currency. I am taking a preloaded currency card and also some cash but I don't want to be left with lots of odd currencies.

Vietnam it states on line that they only accept dong, have you found this is the case or can we use others currencies for drinks small amounts of spend. Sampan owner M&C state expect tips. Also wanting to do my own thing/trip  in Halong Bay.

Anyone taking cash for Honk Kong, China and Japan or can we pay by card for coffees and drinks when ashore? or do they take other currencies?

lots of questions 😋

We have found that lots of goods /souvenirs are sold for "one dollar, one dollar"! Foreign office advise says more expensive to pay in dollars. 

We used yen in Japan

Certainly the TV in my single cabin on Columbus in Jan 2018 had no accessible ports so, unless other cabins had different TVs (and I don't believe they would have had) the answer to your question is I believe no.  Sorry.

On 8/26/2018 at 9:55 AM, Boltonian said:

Nobody forces you to go on the ship's shore excursions and you know the prices in advance of the cruise. If you think they are too expensive then don't go but book your own privately. I went on 20 of Columbus's trips and enjoyed them all. Obviously some were better than others e.g Petra, Grenada and Papeete to name a few.

May I ask what tours you did for Petra (Jordan) and Papeete?  We are on the 2020 cruise.

Hi,

First of all I hope you enjoy the 2020 cruise as much as I enjoyed mine in 2018. As it was my first ever cruise I was lucky enough from the night before embarkation to meet up with a Canadian couple from Toronto who were old cruise hands and showed me the way when I needed it  - which was quite often!

As for the tours I did the full day shore excursion to Petra - there was only one as I recall - and for Papeete it was entitled "Tahiti West Coast" which took place in the morning (we were back for lunch onboard).  A friend of mine went on the "Tahiti East Coast" trip but wasn't that impressed.  However, that's only one opinion, of course.  Whatever, I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go.  Petra was simply fantastic and even at 71 I managed the long walk down and back without event.  I would love to go again.

If I can assist with anything else about the cruise or the ship please don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

It was absolutely amazing I just loved it and I wish I was still on the ship!

Yes you get the negative people and comments but generally these are from cruisers who expect 6 star service etc. at an affordable price. 

The itinerary was great and if I had anything to say it would be some of the stops were too short eg. Gibraltar and Lisbon but we knew the docking times before we booked the trip. 

Definitely look to book private trips as it can work out better value. However there are times when you need to do the ships especially in places like Egypt for Luxor and Valley of the Kings.

My friend and I went on with no expectations and therefore we were not disappointed. We met some friends for life. At the end of the cruise it felt like one big family. Anyone who started to moan we would just go the other way and avoid them. 

I agree about the comment on US dollars take as many single notes as you can I wished I took more especially for souvenirs. 

I would certainly book another one!! 

Enjoy....

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:26 PM, Pollyca said:

It was absolutely amazing I just loved it and I wish I was still on the ship!

Yes you get the negative people and comments but generally these are from cruisers who expect 6 star service etc. at an affordable price. 

The itinerary was great and if I had anything to say it would be some of the stops were too short eg. Gibraltar and Lisbon but we knew the docking times before we booked the trip. 

Definitely look to book private trips as it can work out better value. However there are times when you need to do the ships especially in places like Egypt for Luxor and Valley of the Kings.

My friend and I went on with no expectations and therefore we were not disappointed. We met some friends for life. At the end of the cruise it felt like one big family. Anyone who started to moan we would just go the other way and avoid them. 

I agree about the comment on US dollars take as many single notes as you can I wished I took more especially for souvenirs. 

I would certainly book another one!! 

Enjoy....

We found that US$ were readily acceptable in all Asian countries we visited, but many require them relatively new and undamaged.  Take small denominations as your change may be in the country's currency. Nicole

So pleased you enjoyed it and ignored the discontents.  Like you, I had nothing to do with them on the 2018 trip.  They only let themselves down but if they enjoy their own misery so be it.

I always take small dollar denominations, probably about $100 in ones as well as currencies on my preloaded cards.  It's amazing what you can buy, particularly in Asia, for a few dollars.  T shirts, bracelets, fridge magnets, knick knacks etc.  One lesson I learned in the hard way in Asia with regard to T shirts is always buy a size above what you would wear in the West.  I bought some in Vietnam in my usual size and ended up giving them to my Steward as they turned out to be rather tight!

I have booked on 2021 trip (if I am fortunate to live that long) and am looking forward to some different islands and countries this time as well as familiar ones.  Yes, the prices have risen since my first trip but the cost still represents a pretty good bargain.  When you look at comparative costs CMV are still very much in the frontline of value for money.

I would say that the Shore Excursions Department was probably one of the two the weakest areas on the ship on my trip.  Some of the oral presentations were a little patchy.  However, it always a pleasure when Miran from Croatia was presenting.  He was also the most courteous.  I found some of the others in that department to be less than helpful. The organisational abilities on the mornings of a few of the tours also left something to be desired. This department should be one of the primary areas of the ship to be totally on top of things and present a pleasant and helpful face to passengers who are looking to spend money which ultimately benefits the company who employs them.

Hello World Travelers,

My wife and I are booked on the 2020 Columbus World Cruise and was hoping to get some answers to a few questions...

1.  When did you receive communication for CMV concerning visas.  Did you have any problems getting visas.  We are USA citizens.

2.  When did you receive communication for vaccinations needed to travel on your cruise.  Were you required to get any of these vaccinations ( yellow fever,  hep A, typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, Meningitis).   

3.  Was there anything you be willing to tell  on the pros and cons of your trip  ( ie. Ship activities, destinations, recommendable  shoe excursions,  etc)

Thanks in advance for providing any information you are willing to share.   If you like to email directly my email is gwmcjones@yahoo.com.

Thanks again, 

Dennis

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for taking your time and energy to respond to my inquire.   You have given us some great pointers and valuable information.   We are so excited about doing the 2020 World Cruise.  Your post is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Dennis & Pat

Dear Denis and Pat,

Only too glad to have made a very small contribution.  If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.

I look forward to reading a review of your trip on your return if you feel inclined to do one.  It may help me - and others - with the 2021 cruise.

Best wishes

Stephen

On 12/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, honeyb said:

Hi--we are looking at it, but haven't booked. We are from Canada, and haven't travelled on this ship or line yet. Have you? I have been reading the reviews of this ship--doesn't sound too bad, and the price is right for a world cruise. We did one 10 yrs ago on the old QE2--really enjoyed that one.

Did you book with CMV?

On 8/26/2018 at 10:55 AM, Boltonian said:

Here is my review if it helps:

can't believe the moaning about this cruise by earlier contributors. What were they expecting? 5* service and amenities at 3* prices? Get a life!

I have to say that almost everyone I met on board - and I met a great number over 4 months - all agreed how wonderful the cruise had been and, from some, that they were already looking forward to their next one with CMV. The cabin (I had a solo on Deck 10) was more than adequate with 2 single beds, two chairs (one a comfy armchair, the other a desk type), a long desk, plentiful drawers, hanging space, a fridge, a safe and a small, but perfectly good, bathroom with shower. The cabin steward was polite and helpful at all times.

I ate in both the restaurant and the buffet. There was always at least 7 dishes on offer for both lunch and dinner as well as cold food. They catered for vegetarians and vegans too. OK, the puddings could have been a bit more imaginative but the staff in both places could not be faulted. It is totally unreasonable to bring up their wages as one other reviewer did. Those I spoke to were very happy with their wage level, given that it was almost 3 times what they would earn in similar positions in their own countries. They couldn't have been more welcoming and attentive if they had earned 10 times as much.

Nobody forces you to go on the ship's shore excursions and you know the prices in advance of the cruise. If you think they are too expensive then don't go but book your own privately. I went on 20 of Columbus's trips and enjoyed them all. Obviously some were better than others e.g Petra, Grenada and Papeete to name a few.

The entertainment was,admittedly, variable in quality; the permanent ship's singers and dancers were excellent; the visiting artistes less so. The 45 minute lectures which took place during sea days were invariably interesting and the speakers well received.

I paid £39 for 1 GB of internet and I never understood how people had connectivity problems with it; my android phone picked it up without too much difficulty 99% of the time.

All in all I was more than happy with my experience and would certainly repeat the exercise providing the prices stayed at a reasonable level. Some contributors seem ready to complain about any little thing. Did they bring these "complaints" to ship;s staff at the time? As for cleanliness throughout? I found it spotless!

Pity the puddings were not up to your standard.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:58 AM, Pollyca said:

Hi off the top of my head we have the following themes 

Irish

Oriental

british

Indian

Caribbean 

No Canadian theme?

On 1/30/2019 at 11:50 AM, Boltonian said:

Hi,

First of all I hope you enjoy the 2020 cruise as much as I enjoyed mine in 2018. As it was my first ever cruise I was lucky enough from the night before embarkation to meet up with a Canadian couple from Toronto who were old cruise hands and showed me the way when I needed it  - which was quite often!

As for the tours I did the full day shore excursion to Petra - there was only one as I recall - and for Papeete it was entitled "Tahiti West Coast" which took place in the morning (we were back for lunch onboard).  A friend of mine went on the "Tahiti East Coast" trip but wasn't that impressed.  However, that's only one opinion, of course.  Whatever, I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go.  Petra was simply fantastic and even at 71 I managed the long walk down and back without event.  I would love to go again.

If I can assist with anything else about the cruise or the ship please don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

Would love to read more of your trip as I am thinking of doing the 2020 trip also.

I have been posting photographs and what we did in each port on 2019 RTW, often not ship's trips.on the rival 'friends of' group. The idea is to give some idea of ports of call for people doing 2020

I would be very happy to supply more of my meanderings if you could be a little more specific. 

I have now booked the 2021 trip which will include new places for me as well as some familiar ones.  I am very pleased to be going back to Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and French Polynesia (and hoping for better weather in Tahiti and Bora Bora where it was rather cloudy most of the time unfortunately - still loved the places though!) as well as seeing new spots such as Brazil, Indian Ocean Islands and Tonga.  A return to East and South Africa which I last saw in December 1971 will be interesting as there have been many changes there since then of course.

Let me know what you would like to hear that hasn't been covered by previous posts.

Hi Boltonian

Having really enjoyed the 2019 Columbus world cruise we have now also booked the 2021 trip. Is it too early to start a roll call for the 2021 world cruise or do we continue on this thread?

The information you gave re. your 2018 experiences were most appreciated.

My alter ego Beltonian (I used to live in Belton Norfolk but now I have moved back up north i am reverting to my home town roots) already posted on the Roll Call page as below.  I am very happy that my remarks about the 2018 trip proved of some use. 

Edited by Boltonian

On 7/7/2019 at 4:52 PM, Harley52 said:

Did you book with CMV?

Not yet, thinking of it.  Do they have a better price do you think?  Am researching now.