Jump to content

Oceania vs Azamara


sabrefan
 Share

Recommended Posts

And I don't like Coke at all ... not only Coke, but all other drinks of that ilk!   I'll go between seltzer (real seltzer like we get at home, from those old bottles that the Marx Brothers used to spray everyone with) or tonic or ... something not coke-like!  Then there's always gin, vodka or bourbon ...

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Coke lite and Diet Coke that wasn’t really the point, it was a reference to the service and attitude and for me I can taste a difference between the two. I have a preference and if it’s available why shouldn’t I have it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Salf777 said:

Well Coke lite and Diet Coke that wasn’t really the point, it was a reference to the service and attitude and for me I can taste a difference between the two. I have a preference and if it’s available why shouldn’t I have it?

 

I freely admit that I’m a Diet Coke hound - it’s my only real vice (I think).  I can smell/taste/feel the difference between Diet and Zero from across the room.  But Diet versus Lite?  Ha! The two taste exactly the same to me.  I’m used to getting Lite when I travel - including on the three cruises we took this year - and I thank my lucky stars that it’s available.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to satisfy my vice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Mura said:

And I don't like Coke at all ... not only Coke, but all other drinks of that ilk!   I'll go between seltzer (real seltzer like we get at home, from those old bottles that the Marx Brothers used to spray everyone with) or tonic or ... something not coke-like!  Then there's always gin, vodka or bourbon ...

 

Have you had Fever Tree tonic? Love it! Being a native Atlanta, it's "Co-Cola" or nothing from that category.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't try something you never heard of!  But I prefer straight seltzer to tonic in general ... I have no idea if that compares to our "Forever Tree"!

 

I will say that if seltzer as such is not available, I'll settle for tonic.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, osandomir said:

Just wanted to say that our experience was different.

We’ve had 14 Oceania cruises and have two more booked, so we obviously like them. That said, we were on Azamara Pursuit cruise to Antarctica earlier this year and it was wonderful. No complaints at all - great crew, the best captain ever and the food more or less comparable to Oceania level now. Also unforgettable Azamazing event in Montevideo. Oceania is our favorite cruise line, but we’ll have no problem sailing with Azamara in the future if the itinerary is appealing to us.

 

Glad you had a good experience on Pursuit - it sounds so different to ours. We found all our meals overcooked often kept hot with congealed sauces and gravy. We sent it back only to get the same. When we asked to talk a senior staff member about the problem - no response. The entertainment was very poor. As one Irish guest put it - I can see better at my local pub! We were so disappointed that we asked Azamara to return the deposit we had paid on a future cruise and they have dome this. We have just returned from an Oceania cruise from Santiago Chile to Miami. A lovely cruise with excellent food throughout, constant interaction between officers and cruisers and an entertainment troupe of 12 - 6 dancers and 6 singers - of the highest quality. Hence we have booked another Oceania cruise - in our experience they are a good couple of stars above Azamara.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

chrisrich68 - Glad you enjoyed your Oceania cruise. Believe you were on the Marina.  Happy you enjoyed inter-action with the entertainment troupe.  I have found Oceania entertainment troupe individuals from England, Scotland and Wales to be very pleasant, especially considering Oceania's somewhat older demographic.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

We did a Caribbean cruise on Oceania last year and we were one and done. The ship was lovely and the food good but we thought the atmosphere was extremely stodgy. Hugely different from our many trips on Azamara. 

We are early 60’s but found the entertainment and music selections on Oceania to be something that would appeal to our parents.  As one of our fellow cruisers noted, “We’re cruising the Caribbean—couldn’t they play some steel drums or island music?”

Agree that the Oceania Senior Crew were reserved and seemed aloof. I’m not a super outgoing person myself but I make the effort to smile at people and appreciate when staff respond in kind.  It seems to me that on Azamara the entire crew act as ambassadors for the brand and it’s very different on Oceania. 

I mentioned that I liked the food on Oceania and I did think the sit down dinners were better than on Azamara. My husband disagrees. He thought there were less choices available at lunch with fewer options for sandwiches and salads. 

Our fellow passengers were mainly older than we were. I don’t think the passenger demographics were a whole lot different on Azamara but the cruisers there seem to have a more lively attitude. 

The Azamazing Evenings are so much fun. They pick wonderful locations and serve up elegant but accessible entertainment. White Nights is a fabulous party atmosphere and we always have a great time. 

My sense is that Azamara caters to a more lively and young at heart clientele. Maybe this is a result of Azamara’s inclusive beverage package? 😏 Oceania passengers seem more conservative and appear to like a more restrained cruise experience. Oceania also might be better for moderate or no alcohol drinkers. Again I think Oceania is better for evening dining but for everything else I prefer Azamara. 

Edited by Killin Time
Spelling
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Killin Time said:

We did a Caribbean cruise on Oceania last year and we were one and done. The ship was lovely and the food good but we thought the atmosphere was extremely stodgy. Hugely different from our many trips on Azamara. 

We are early 60’s but found the entertainment and music selections on Oceania to be something that would appeal to our parents.  As one of our fellow cruisers noted, “We’re cruising the Caribbean—couldn’t they play some steel drums or island music?”

Agree that the Oceania Senior Crew were reserved and seemed aloof. I’m not a super outgoing person myself but I make the effort to smile at people and appreciate when staff respond in kind.  It seems to me that on Azamara the entire crew act as ambassadors for the brand and it’s very different on Oceania. 

I mentioned that I liked the food on Oceania and I did think the sit down dinners were better than on Azamara. My husband disagrees. He thought there were less choices available at lunch with fewer options for sandwiches and salads. 

Our fellow passengers were mainly older than we were. I don’t think the passenger demographics were a whole lot different on Azamara but the cruisers there seem to have a more lively attitude. 

The Azamazing Evenings are so much fun. They pick wonderful locations and serve up elegant but accessible entertainment. White Nights is a fabulous party atmosphere and we always have a great time. 

My sense is that Azamara caters to a more lively and young at heart clientele. Maybe this is a result of Azamara’s inclusive beverage package? 😏 Oceania passengers seem more conservative and appear to like a more restrained cruise experience. Oceania also might be better for moderate or no alcohol drinkers. Again I think Oceania is better for evening dining but for everything else I prefer Azamara. 

That is why there are a whole bunch of others.......cruises need to match the cruiser  only you can define better and only for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Azamara keeps changing. Each time we have sailed with them, it has been different. Wondering what they will be when they get their act together. Oceania is consistent.  It has excellent service, very good food, and most comfortable bed at sea.   Especially love the O ships.  Last summer we sailed on Azamara. It was disappointing.   The Azamazing evening was excellent.  Food and service were not very good.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, Killin Time said:

We did a Caribbean cruise on Oceania last year and we were one and done. The ship was lovely and the food good but we thought the atmosphere was extremely stodgy. Hugely different from our many trips on Azamara. 

We are early 60’s but found the entertainment and music selections on Oceania to be something that would appeal to our parents.  As one of our fellow cruisers noted, “We’re cruising the Caribbean—couldn’t they play some steel drums or island music?”

Agree that the Oceania Senior Crew were reserved and seemed aloof. I’m not a super outgoing person myself but I make the effort to smile at people and appreciate when staff respond in kind.  It seems to me that on Azamara the entire crew act as ambassadors for the brand and it’s very different on Oceania. 

I mentioned that I liked the food on Oceania and I did think the sit down dinners were better than on Azamara. My husband disagrees. He thought there were less choices available at lunch with fewer options for sandwiches and salads. 

Our fellow passengers were mainly older than we were. I don’t think the passenger demographics were a whole lot different on Azamara but the cruisers there seem to have a more lively attitude. 

The Azamazing Evenings are so much fun. They pick wonderful locations and serve up elegant but accessible entertainment. White Nights is a fabulous party atmosphere and we always have a great time. 

My sense is that Azamara caters to a more lively and young at heart clientele. Maybe this is a result of Azamara’s inclusive beverage package? 😏 Oceania passengers seem more conservative and appear to like a more restrained cruise experience. Oceania also might be better for moderate or no alcohol drinkers. Again I think Oceania is better for evening dining but for everything else I prefer Azamara. 

Being seasoned Azamara Cruiser's we are partial to the Azamara brand (23 with 5 more booked) but are booked on our first Oceaia Marina cruise with friends for March  (Rio to Miami including the Amazon) so we'll be able to make a comparison.  Certainly we're well looked after my senior officers, staff and crew on Azamara and we have made many good friends over the 8 years we have sailed with them.  The countless fellow guests we now class as good friends also (even staying with them in their homes and ours) is a by product of our loyalty that we enjoy immensely. It sounds as this may be a challenge on Oceania but again the company we choose to cruise with is subjective to each persons preference but we're prepared to broaden our experiences and try something new.  We love the social aspect of Azamara, there's not much we dislike other than their increasing prices.  The smaller bathroom don't even worry us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2017 at 4:54 PM, shedridt said:

We've sailed with both Oceania & Azamara many times, & we feel that Azamara is our overwhelming choice for booking future cruises. We like them both, but Azamara gains our respect time after time for quality of service, & that's the thing that really brings us back along with their port intensive itineraries. There's a warmth there that is hard to describe... Still...we have enticed friends to join us on our Oceania cruise Oct 4-14 in the Mediterranean, & we know they'll love it. In that case it's all about the itinerary as it's a Bucket List trip that includes Pompeii, Santorini, & Rhodes. This itinerary is just wonderful & Azamara isn't offering anything similar anytime soon...so off we go. I guess my message is that if there were two identical cruises offered by these two lines, I'd choose Azamara every time. I've chosen to sail with Oceania next fall because of their itinerary - my personal bucket list. BUT - my very next cruise will be with Azamara, in late January & I can't wait because I know how wonderfully I'll be treated, & how much I'll enjoy my on-board exxperience. I hope that helps...

Exactly why after 23 Azamara cruises with 5 more booked we are trying Oceania Marina for the first time, specifically to do the Amazon which Azamara don't have on their list at the moment.  Our preference is Azamara, they suit our style and they remain our preference for the time being, but time will tell....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, aussie travel bird said:

Exactly why after 23 Azamara cruises with 5 more booked we are trying Oceania Marina for the first time, specifically to do the Amazon which Azamara don't have on their list at the moment.  Our preference is Azamara, they suit our style and they remain our preference for the time being, but time will tell....

It will not be an apples to apples comparison as Marina is larger with 4 specialty restaurants and some other features that the R ships do not have. If you tried one of the 4 Oceania R ships that would be comparing "identical" ships.

Hope you enjoy your first Oceania cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oceania does everything they tell you they will do superbly - but they don't do ONE SINGLE THING MORE.  Forget about the lovely Jazz Brunches & Officers Barbecues &White Nights of Azamara, & forget about having Captain Johannes come to greet you at your deck chair.  It will be very good, unless I miss my guess, but a bit hollow.

I've taken two cruises each with Oceania & Azamara since my posting back in 2018.  The first of the two cruises was the one referenced in my post from 2018 & included the wonderful bucket list ports of Santorinai, Naples/Pompeii & Rhodes & it was fine & I was ready to go home at the end of it. The second we booked ENTIRELY to meet my culinary hero, Jacques Pepin, & he was so wonderful that the cruise was too.  The two Azamara cruises were Bali to Sydney & LA to Papeete & my husband had to drag me off the ship both times.

Absolutely no contest, & we have two Azamara cruises pending & really no plans to cruise Oceania again. That said, we met a couple of Oceania loyalists a month ago who said their first Azamara cruise might be their last as they missed the Oceania food - & I don't blame them! But the food isn't enough to make me book again with Oceania. As proof, we've got two Az cruises in the hopper...can't wait to be back on board.

All of this is why there's chocolate & vanilla, right?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, Redtravel said:

Azamara keeps changing. Each time we have sailed with them, it has been different. Wondering what they will be when they get their act together. Oceania is consistent.  It has excellent service, very good food, and most comfortable bed at sea.   Especially love the O ships.  Last summer we sailed on Azamara. It was disappointing.   The Azamazing evening was excellent.  Food and service were not very good.  

 

Oceania is consistent? Do not agree. Read the latest CC Oceania reviews, it is not encouraging.

 

Inconsistency seems to be the operating way of all cruise lines these days - because the cutbacks are happening on all cruise lines.

 

Consistency was the case up until about 2015, when all the cruise lines started the cut backs. 

 

For every cruise line, the advertising no longer reflects the onboard experience, it was not always the case - having sailed many lines since 1989.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

 

Oceania is consistent? Do not agree. Read the latest CC Oceania reviews, it is not encouraging.

 

Inconsistency seems to be the operating way of all cruise lines these days - because the cutbacks are happening on all cruise lines.

 

Consistency was the case up until about 2015, when all the cruise lines started the cut backs. 

 

For every cruise line, the advertising no longer reflects the onboard experience, it was not always the case - having sailed many lines since 1989.

Sad if it has changed. I will be on Sirena soon. First time on that ship.  Will post a review after sailing. I hope that Sirena is as good as my previous Oceania Cruises.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Redtravel, hopefully yes for you, because it costs considerable $.

 

The Oceania reviews are in free fall, many long time guests have repeatedly noted the downgrading of food and much less staff (check the reviews for yourself). Please do a review upon your return.

 

What seems consistent is the arrogant on board staff and guest relations, the missed ports with significant frequency despite other lines already having docked (no return of port fees like other lines) and the increasing mechanical issues of the R ships - Regatta was subject to Coast Guard review in 2019 due to her many, many mechanical breakdowns in the past 5 years.

 

Azamara is an excellent product with a much more friendly vibe and more "life".

 

As a consumer, if I choose to purchase, the product better meet the advertising, or the service provider is fired. Oceania's bull line about best food at sea - it is not. Us and our travel group of 23 will not book with Oceania again, too many consistent disappointments and we collectively do not trust Oceania. This cruise line is highly dismissive of their guests.

 

We have enjoyed Azamara, Cunard, Crystal - so we are not lacking in choice.!

 

However, our group are now transferring considerable of our travel funds to land tours - we are getting more bang for our buck and receiving a more authentic travel experience - after many cruises, we are finding cruising to be increasingly  "fake" and "removed" from the world. 

 

What ever you do, safe travels.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

As a consumer, if I choose to purchase, the product better meet the advertising, or the service provider is fired. Oceania's bull line about best food at sea - it is not. Us and our travel group of 23 will not book with Oceania again, too many consistent disappointments and we collectively do not trust Oceania. This cruise line is highly dismissive of their guests.

We have heard this song over and over.

If I were as unhappy with Oceania (or any other cruise line) as you seem to be with Oceania, I would state that a few times and leave that board altogether as it would hold no interest for me any longer. This sounds more like vengeance.

I wasn't crazy about my Crystal cruise - I posted a review here and left a link on Crystal boards for those that might be interested. I don't hound that board now with my Crystal complaints unless I would cruise with them again and had questions.

Is it time to move on to the boards of cruise lines you actually like and cruise with - Azamara, Crystal and Cunard?

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will also be on Sirena this year for the first time.  I have read the reviews and I don't let a few bad ones influence my decision.  On the O cruises that I've been on I have never encountered rude staff. We have always enjoyed the very good quality of food.

 

I haven't been on Azamara but I have looked at what they offer.  They don't offer the itinerary of the Sirena cruise that we're booked on.  The ports and the itinerary are a big determining factor of why we choose the cruise.  The Sirena cruise that I'm booked on was sold out many months in advance and I'm sure it's because of the unique itinerary.  I'm eager to sail on her and I'll post a review after my return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

sunlover12, your note on itinerary is spot on. The premium lines, together with HAL, have the most interesting itineraries. Same for our group, it is the itineraries that are the first priority. 

 

Enjoy!

 

 

I am confused....your  talking about upscale experiences, food, ambiance etc on Luxury and  Super premimum  lines.... Azamar, Crystal, Seabourn, Oceania etc......    How did you even  think HAL a  very basic almost entry level mass market ship with minimal or very basic services......

 I recently experienced HAL and after reading your taste and acumen, your in for a rude awaking.....  very rude.   

 

 But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and you pay your money and you take your chances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2017 at 10:43 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

 

 

 

Plus 1.

What is it about folks who need to see (or be seen with) cruise ship officers?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no idea why, but even on Crystal, it's considered a religious experience to interact with the bridge officers

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And remember that many times the ships’ sailors and the “hotel” staff are employed by totally different companies. Often, and I am not sure specifically about Oceania, the people who actually sail the ship are employed by the company that owns the ship which is very distinct from the company that runs the actual hotel part of the  cruise line. So the captain is not actually employed by Oceania etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...