Dinner mate stories

Ken Greco

For the experienced cruisers we all have the stories in the MDR of siting with strangers and the crazy things that are discussed at the table.

Back in the old days, when one had to sit with others, like the elementary school lunch room...

We sat with an older couple from Florida. (how unusual?)

They were pretty pretentious, and liked to tell us about ALL the cruises they had been on.

On one cruise, a head waiter had killed himself by jumping overboard.

As required by law, and humanity, when the ship became aware of this,

they had to circle and look for the person.

The couple was very upset by this -- because the time at their next port was shortened

due to late arrival.

You meet the nicest people on ships.

We have met some interesting characters along the way. On one cruise, we arrived in the MDR the first night and found our four other tablemates already seated. One of them had brought a coloring book and crayons and was busy staying inside the lines. By the third night at this table, the artistic fellow had left his book and crayons in his room and was joining in the conversation. We really enjoyed meeting the four friends and were glad we hadn't asked to change tables. On another cruise, one of our fellow diners ate only shrimp cocktail for dinner - never anything else. He had the waiter bring heaping plates of shrimp each night and that was his dinner. On yet another cruise, we met an elderly gentleman who was traveling with his companion. Turns out he was the mayor of a small town in England and had some very interesting stories to tell. We have always enjoyed sitting at a large table in the MDR and we look forward to meeting our fellow cruisers and getting to know them over dinner.

Barb

I find there’s always someone who wants to know what you do for a quid, if you tell them, there’s all sorts of questions flow, if you don’t the rest of the cruise they’re trying to find out.

Then there the one who wants everyone to know he is smarter, richer, more successful than everyone else, and well, I’m not as patient with that type as I never was, if you get my drift.

So easier to spend catch up time with the Beautiful one, something we tend to miss out on a lot at home.

One Uppers - this is why we now dine at a table for two

That was a bad joke on the blind person and would have also complained the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was not a joke on the blind person, he gladly let him have the dog and thought it was funny. The problem was that someone boarded who was a bit dour like you. Did you mean, about the driver or to the driver, which had not happened?

Regards John

Our story is we had a freedom dining shared table. Mr obnoxious is insistent on telling us he is "elite" and does not have to do his own washing and other privileges as if we care. I was very polite and let him boast thinking we would only have to put up with him for that meal. Happily sat waiting the next night for some people to join our table. Yes you have guessed Mr Obnoxious joined our table. Unfortunately I couldn't think of a reason to leave the table quick enough. I managed to get through the meal without creating any unpleasantness but I was biting my tongue pretty hard. Thereafter we made absolutely sure he was not in the vicinity before we went for a meal.

Edited by seadog18
typo

Well now... Thank you for asking!

Worst, worst, Worst experience was the couple from Canada who looked me in the eye the first night at our traditional dining table that told me: "we prefer to sit with French -speaking people." I looked at them as I thought to myself: "GO Find YOURSELVES... another table!"

They read my mind and did so the next evening. I dined with another pleasant couple who was at the table."

My answer would probably have been, "And when I sit with French-speaking people, I prefer to speak French and not some colonial patois."

I see Hank beat me to it!

Nah, I probably wouldn't. But I speak more proper French than virtually all the Canadians. Or, at least I did, when I graduated from college.

Wife and I sat next to a table of seniors, they spoke loudly enough for us to hear every word. The conversation about their ailments went on for at least 10 minutes. Each person giving the story of their body. From the terrible gout to gastro intestinal disorders. We laughed pretty hard that night it was quite comical for table talk.

These are called, "Organ recitals."

We rarley sit with others, we have had too many bad experiences, people who order every app and 2 or 3 dinners so you get suck sitting there watching them for HOURS. We want to get in and out quickly, we usually only order and app and a soup or salad, rarley order a full meal. If we end up siting with others as soon as we are done we just politely excuse ourselfs and leave. I can't sit in the MDR for hours.

The funny story my wife likes to tell is of a young couple (in their 30's) and a very pompous man on an all British table for eight people.

The first night conversation started with the pompous man trying to impress the rest of us by telling us all about his important job, before moving on to ask us all what we did for a living.

I sort of ducked the question by playing down my role, as I could see that his need to convey his importance was very something he needed to do.

However, when he got to the young couple and asked them what they did for a living, the young lady simply said "We are in oil".

The man simply said "Oh" and that was the end of the conversation.

Later, after he had left, the couple revealed that they really were in oil - cooking oil - they owned a fish and chip shop in Brighton!!

Rather got the impression that it was not the first time they had used that line, but it certainly amused us.

Knew a fellow from Tennessee once who really didn't want to discuss his occupation. He would simply say that he was a southern planter. He actually was an undertaker.

Knew a fellow from Tennessee once who really didn't want to discuss his occupation. He would simply say that he was a southern planter. He actually was an undertaker.

On one cruise many years ago, we had a young couple (table mates) who owned and operated a Funeral Parlor. Once they let the cat out of coffin (bag) the entire table (8) were fascinated. By the third day we all knew a lot about the Funeral business...and it turned out to be a real fun table.

Hank

Nearly all of the people we have sat with have been lovely, intelligent and courteous. Maybe we haven’t always had things in common but they’ve made decent table mates. However, one time 2 or 3 years ago, our table began discussing gun control. (I know, I know no politics!) Anyway, one of the women then proceeded to tell us she didn’t believe that that devastating shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut ever happened. After all she didn’t know any of those children who were shot. She claimed it was all a hoax. After trying to dispute this, DH and I decided never to discuss anything related to politics on a cruise (or probably anywhere nowadays!)

These are called, "Organ recitals."
:D

I agree with the poster up-thread who said they find people usually get easier if you give them some time.

The last time we did TD was for a Christmas cruise, we usually prefer 'freedom' dining but thought it would be nicer to get to know our table companions before we shared Christmas dinner with them. We had asked for a table for 8, arrived to find we were on a 6. 2 people never turned up, leaving just an elderly couple and us. The gentleman hardly said a word and appeared to be half asleep, the lady seemed OK but we clearly had little in common with her.

After the first evening I told my husband that I would go mad if forced to spend the next 11 dinners with this couple.

It transpired that, not only was the gentleman very deaf, he also had a medical condition that caused spasm of his eyelids - which was why he had seemed half asleep. He was a nice enough person, as was his wife, and we got on pretty well for the rest of the cruise.

Not everyone will become your best friend but most people are decent at heart.

We are a Scottish couple and we were on a cruise and we met up with a large group of US vets, originally from New York who asked us to join them at dinner. What a fun group they were and every night we had to move and go around this large table and converse with another one of these couples. I guess they liked our accents. They were a good 10 to 15 years older than us , but could also teach us a thing or two on the dance floor until late at night. Great cruise.

I find there’s always someone who wants to know what you do for a quid, if you tell them, there’s all sorts of questions flow, if you don’t the rest of the cruise they’re trying to find out.

Then there the one who wants everyone to know he is smarter, richer, more successful than everyone else, and well, I’m not as patient with that type as I never was, if you get my drift.

So easier to spend catch up time with the Beautiful one, something we tend to miss out on a lot at home.

That's why on the ships I am a Trucker, not a Dentist.:') We have a table for 2 every night at home in my MDR. Boring. Thats why we like a big table on the ships.:halo:

So would I Mr Gut. But you know on reflection in 18 Princess cruises and a few on other lines, we have only ever had one table of odd balls, it was tough, but we stuck it out. We have been very lucky on 99% of occasions with TD in the MDR. We prefer to sit with international passengers, more interesting and stimulating conversation most of the time. Now last November we were on Island Princess out of LA - Panama Canal, a couple of weeks after the US election, never heard DT mentioned once. :halo: Not that it would have worried me.

But my pet hate is having table mates who arrive at the table late !!

We,too, were on a cruise shortly after. Everyone was very respectful but once in awhile someone would throw out a comment that "sorta had a hint". And by the end of the cruise we all knew who was who was who! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The most stratling conversation at a table was a year orso ago when a couple at the table told us of an experience where they were in a store in Las Vegas and a gang decided to shoot up the store. The woman telling the story was not hit but her husband and 2 children were among those injured. We love Las Vegas but wonl;t go to that part of town after hearing the story. Everyone recovered thankfully.

That's why on the ships I am a Trucker, not a Dentist.:') We have a table for 2 every night at home in my MDR. Boring. Thats why we like a big table on the ships.:halo:

LOL. You sound like me. I'm a pilot, and retired military. To be honest, I DON'T want to be that guy, that "shows up" others or appears the least bit haughty. Too often, if I tell people what I do, their eyes fly wide open, and the questions begin. Often, they are wonderful people and are just curious and/or appreciative, and I appreciate it. But I sometimes get judgemental people, or those that ask some left-field questions (e.g. "Have you ever killed anyone?"). If nothing else, I'd rather not be the main center of attention.

I'm an introvert, too. I do enjoy sitting with others and learning about people from all sorts of cultures and backgrounds. (that's part of why I'm currently living on the other side of the planet) But for me as an introvert, that slowly drains my energy, and I can only take so much. Often, it's simpler just to get a separate table. But then those times we do sit with others, I use as an opportunity for personal growth.

The funny story my wife likes to tell is of a young couple (in their 30's) and a very pompous man on an all British table for eight people.

The first night conversation started with the pompous man trying to impress the rest of us by telling us all about his important job, before moving on to ask us all what we did for a living.

I sort of ducked the question by playing down my role, as I could see that his need to convey his importance was very something he needed to do.

However, when he got to the young couple and asked them what they did for a living, the young lady simply said "We are in oil".

The man simply said "Oh" and that was the end of the conversation.

Later, after he had left, the couple revealed that they really were in oil - cooking oil - they owned a fish and chip shop in Brighton!!

Rather got the impression that it was not the first time they had used that line, but it certainly amused us.

We had a similar experience. One evening our table was off to specialty restaurants and we were alone at a table for 8. They sat us with another table. We were seated with a table of 6 snobs. It was a luxury cruise line but we all were there. The one wife went on and on to impress me with where they lived abroad and her husband was a CEO, etc ad infinitum. She asked what my husband did for a living. We are both white collar workers. I am a laboratory technologist and my husband in tele communications. I answered that he worked in telecommunications. I then asked her what she did for a living. She replied she found housing for her family, settled them in new places, etc. so I replied sort of like a housewife. She didn't answer!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Speaking of conversation monopolizers...My husband Pete & I and my little brother Peter (we ditched him in Anchorage) were sailing 7-days to Alaska from Vancouver and then the two of us were continuing 15-days to China.

At the table were two lovely ladies from Brisbane, Australia. The monopolizer went on endlessly about who-knows-what & we dubbed him "The Mad Professor from England."

One of the ladies told Pete she was sorry to leave us but she could not take any more of the professor. Pete said to stick with us and laid down the new rule that when done with one subject one had to shut up to let others in. Worked beautifully all the way to Beijing!

Steve