Dinner mate stories

Ken Greco

A few cruises back we had late TD with a table for 10. There were 4 couples, a mid 40's single lady and an older single gentleman "Charlie". As we went around the table introducing ourselves, told where we were from and what we did, we eventually came to Charlie. He told us that his daughter told him he needed this cruise. He had lost his wife about a year prior and he was trying to get out and live a little. He was a man of means and his daughter had warned him about gold diggers.

We found him to be a charming, well-mannered dinner companion with a great sense of humor who we all enjoyed. If we saw him around the ship, we often invited him to join us for a cocktail.

As the cruise was coming to an end, we started talking about our trips back home. My wife and I had a cross country trip. The rest of the table all drove to the port. Charlie told us his daughter was going to pick him up at the port.

Then, we concocted a plan where a couple of the ladies would exit with Charlie, one on each arm, they would be all giggly and huggy. He would introduce them to his daughter as his new "friends". He said it would be a great joke. While we didn't do this, we all had great fun planning and Charlie thanked us for allowing him to be part of our table. I have to say we benefitted as much or more than he did.

Cheers,

We joined two other couples at a table for six in ATD. The man we later referred to as the table **** announced that we could not discuss where we lived, what we had done for a living, or how many cruises we had been on. He also had not brought his hearing aid on the cruise. Needless to say, we were not disappointed when he left the table before dessert. After he left, we discussed the verboten topics with the other couple.

We joined two other couples at a table for six in ATD. The man we later referred to as the table **** announced that we could not discuss where we lived, what we had done for a living, or how many cruises we had been on. He also had not brought his hearing aid on the cruise. Needless to say, we were not disappointed when he left the table before dessert. After he left, we discussed the verboten topics with the other couple.

I wouldn't have waited until the table **** left.

My husband is one of the destination speakers, so many people recognize him and love to chat. We always choose the anytime dining and like to sit at a big table of whoever is being seated at the same time. We meet lots of people and have a great time, BUT on our last cruise on Celebrity we had a Maitre d that made it clear that we were NOT welcome in the dining room because that was for "real" guests. (we ARE guests - not employees). After a few days we went over his head and there were no more hassles, but it made us dread going to the dining room and it wasn't nearly as much fun.

That's a maitre 'd that needs a little retraining in his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ha, you should have led with, "Well I'm x from y and do z for a living, and this is my nth cruise."

I would not stand for any person at the table telling me what I could or could not say. He would be the one leaving not me or DH. Hearing aid or not, do not tell me to shut my pie hole. /jmho

Several years ago, I did a cruise by myself. On the first night, I discovered that I had been placed at a table for two in the middle of the dining room (no one joined me). After dinner, I asked the Maitre'd if I could move to a larger table with a group, so I wouldn't have to eat alone. He looked and said he had a table for 8 that had seat for one more. I asked if the table was a "fun" one...just joking. He told me it was and that he had walked by and everyone was laughing and having a good time.

The next night I arrived at the table for 8. I was the only one there. Eventually the waiter asked me if anyone from my party would be joining me. I said, "I am alone. What happened to the people from last night?" He told me no one had shown up the previous night either.

I spent the rest of the cruise eating at the buffet.

My husband and I did our first cruise together in 2010. We had TD at an 8 top. Two chairs remained empty the entire cruise. It was he and I, the story couple (Mia and Dan) and two others. Mia was a very loud and domineering woman and Dan was quiet and meek. My hubby had never been on a cruise with a sommelier, so when Mia requested wine, I was quietly telling hubby about the process. I explained about how the sommelier makes a production of presenting the wine and how he has his special little golden necklace cup where he gets to taste it first. I said, "It's just a formality. I have never seen anyone refuse a bottle."

Well, when it was Mia's turn to try the wine, her face puckered up into a disgusted pinch and she said, (LOUDLY), "Oh, NO, NO, NO, NO." So....the sommelier tried again. New bottle of wine. Same process. Same disgusted look. "Oh, NO, NO. I like my wine like I like my men. STRONG!" (Hubby and I could hardly contain our giggles).

She was outspoken about EVERYTHING and Dan just quietly took it. She was giving me advice on what I should LET my man do, etc.

During the course of the week, the two people across the table changed almost every night, but hubby and I and Mia and Dan stayed constant. Hubby would fortify himself with scotch before dinner, but we managed to make it through to the end.

Seven years later when something isn't to our liking, we pinch our faces up and say, "Oh, NO, NO, No, No....." and laugh.

One more table we still talk about was a two week Celebrity cruise in 2003. It was my 18 year old daughter and I, a middle aged couple (Jim & Sue), and two couples in their late 20's, early 30's. Because this was a two week cruise in the middle of a school year, the average age of the cruisers was about 80. Because it was a Celebrity cruise, everyone was expected to be refined and formal.

We were at an 8 top, with two seats being a cushy bench, and the rest had hard chairs. Jim and Sue would get in line at the door a half hour before dinner every night to make sure they were first and could claim the benches. They sat a little higher than us and seemed to act that way too. Jim bragged about the rolexes he had, and Sue bragged about the many cruises they had been on. You couldn't tell from looking at them that they were "special."

Daughter and I still refer to this as the cruise with the BEST TABLEMATES EVER. We had so much fun despite Jim & Sue occasionally being embarrassing. Jim was ok and tried to joke with us, but Sue was never happy about anything. She complained about the tablecloths. "On PRINCESS, they don't have frayed tablecloths." She complained that there were not enough vegetables on the menu. "On PRINCESS you get vegetables." On and on they complained. They were at the pursuers desk complaining constantly about everything (we would see them or they would tell us about it at dinner).

The staff tried REALLY hard to give them everything they wanted. By the third day, the maitre'd would present us with a large platter every night of every vegetable you could imagine (like at least 12 selections). They changed the table cloths. There was no pleasing them.

In the meantime, the rest of us had more and more fun as the days progressed. We were constantly joking or telling amusing stories, so much that the tables around us would give us dirty looks because we were so unrefined. We are probably on a thread somewhere about the rude Americans who were laughing during dinner.

On the last breakfast, Jim and Sue didn't show up. One of the guys from our table found out from our waiter that Jim & Sue didn't leave a single cent as a tip for the 14 nights of service.

Anyway, even now if something isn't quite right on a cruise (a spot or blemish), daughter and I get our Sue voice and say, "Oh, but on PRINCESS....." :')

I would not stand for any person at the table telling me what I could or could not say. He would be the one leaving not me or DH

Please tell us ... how will you get a passenger to leave their assigned table in the dining room?

These aren't the children you like to bully...

If you go to the maitre d' and complain, he will simply re-assign you.

Rude passenger may end up all alone, but he won't have to move unless he chooses to.

You sometimes get dining companions who make completing a trouble free successful cruise a challenge particularly at dinner times. I should be asking why and what about these regulations he is trying to introduce in an interested manner. Most importantly why he decided not to bring his hearing aid on a cruise?

Regards John

Several years ago, I did a cruise by myself. On the first night, I discovered that I had been placed at a table for two in the middle of the dining room (no one joined me). After dinner, I asked the Maitre'd if I could move to a larger table with a group, so I wouldn't have to eat alone. He looked and said he had a table for 8 that had seat for one more. I asked if the table was a "fun" one...just joking. He told me it was and that he had walked by and everyone was laughing and having a good time.

The next night I arrived at the table for 8. I was the only one there. Eventually the waiter asked me if anyone from my party would be joining me. I said, "I am alone. What happened to the people from last night?" He told me no one had shown up the previous night either.

I spent the rest of the cruise eating at the buffet.

You could have asked about the availability of tables for 10 or 12.

Regards John

Worst tablemate EVER.

We asked for a 4 top and were seated at a 6 top. One traveling alone plus a family group. We soon discovered why he was traveling alone.

He requested salad dressing on the side and poured all of it onto the salad. Well, OK that's not bad.

He dropped his buttered roll on the floor, picked it up and continued eating it, plus using it to sop up the salad.

He pushed the salad aside before finishing it and told the waiter not to take it. When the main course came, he scraped the salad onto the main course, mixed it around and dove in.

He did all of this while happily talking with his mouth full (when he wasn't chewing silently with his mouth open).

We didn't stay to see what he did with his dessert.:o

Got reassigned to a 2 top in ATD.

I find there’s always someone who wants to know what you do for a quid, if you tell them, there’s all sorts of questions flow, if you don’t the rest of the cruise they’re trying to find out.

Then there the one who wants everyone to know he is smarter, richer, more successful than everyone else, and well, I’m not as patient with that type as I never was, if you get my drift.

So easier to spend catch up time with the Beautiful one, something we tend to miss out on a lot at home.

I find it interesting that when "what do you do for a living" comes up. They always ask the DHs, but rarely ask the DWs.

What's up with that? Does everyone think that women don't work?

My husband and I did our first cruise together in 2010. We had TD at an 8 top. Two chairs remained empty the entire cruise. It was he and I, the story couple (Mia and Dan) and two others. Mia was a very loud and domineering woman and Dan was quiet and meek. My hubby had never been on a cruise with a sommelier, so when Mia requested wine, I was quietly telling hubby about the process. I explained about how the sommelier makes a production of presenting the wine and how he has his special little golden necklace cup where he gets to taste it first. I said, "It's just a formality. I have never seen anyone refuse a bottle."

Well, when it was Mia's turn to try the wine, her face puckered up into a disgusted pinch and she said, (LOUDLY), "Oh, NO, NO, NO, NO." So....the sommelier tried again. New bottle of wine. Same process. Same disgusted look. "Oh, NO, NO. I like my wine like I like my men. STRONG!" (Hubby and I could hardly contain our giggles).

She was outspoken about EVERYTHING and Dan just quietly took it. She was giving me advice on what I should LET my man do, etc.

During the course of the week, the two people across the table changed almost every night, but hubby and I and Mia and Dan stayed constant. Hubby would fortify himself with scotch before dinner, but we managed to make it through to the end.

Seven years later when something isn't to our liking, we pinch our faces up and say, "Oh, NO, NO, No, No....." and laugh.

We have found the same. People can seem awful, but are almost worth it for the private laughs you get. We were on a cruise, My sister & I and a great friend and her father. Our friend is one of the most entertaining and outspoken people we know. Also at the table an older couple and their adult son & his wife. The mother was a complete piece of work. Bullied her family about everything. Her husband asked the waiter quietly for a side of potatoes and she overheard. In front of everyone she screeched that he should not order them and did not need them. Our friend said, equally loudly "Oh for God sake. Its his vacation. Why shouldn't he have them if he wants.?". She was struck dumb and a grateful smile appeared on the man's face. On night 2 the son ordered wine for himself and his wife. The mother made a similar bossy comment. Our friend said (you guessed it) "Oh for God sake. Its his vacation. Why shouldn't he have them if he wants.?".

This went on for the whole cruise. Our friend was polite but very firm, with a little laugh at the end. Perfect pitch. As the cruise went on she encouraged them to enjoy their cruise their way and they seemed to sincerely appreciate our friend's support. We have been quoting her and the family ever since. Even the mother loosened up during the 10 days! On the final night we brought all our leftover wine to the table early. We asked the waiter (who was enjoying the nightly show) to make sure their glasses were never empty. (Mother was a penny pincher and seldom had more than a sip!) It was a great night. Would not have traded tablemates for anything!

Years ago we had a couple at a large table with us and others. The couple were a little rough around the edges and the gentleman was very large. From the very first night of the cruise (and every night afterward) he ordered ONLY white food. All white. Like a large plate of spaghetti with nothing on it, then multiple servings of mashed potato (JUST potato, nothing else.) HIs wife carried a bottle of some kind of seasoning which he liberally applied to all of his white food, then he proceeded to devour it.

On the very first night, he suggested that we all order bottles of wine "because they are free." When we gently suggested that wine is an additional fee, he insisted that it was free and he would know because he "is a travel agent."

That was most certainly our oddest experience in 45 cruises.

On the last breakfast, Jim and Sue didn't show up. One of the guys from our table found out from our waiter that Jim & Sue didn't leave a single cent as a tip for the 14 nights of service.

Anyway, even now if something isn't quite right on a cruise (a spot or blemish), daughter and I get our Sue voice and say, "Oh, but on PRINCESS....." :')

On a 14 day Celebrity sailing, probably a decade or so ago in the time when you could choose, once on board, a daily charge or giving cash at the end. We chose the charge method as it sounded easier than dividing up money to the many workers suggested, most of whom we'd never even seen.

We had a similar experience at a table for six with two other pleasant to chat with couples. They were travelling together. But each night they'd send back at least one dish each and another would be presented. They were polite about it but very demanding.

All four skipped out the last night while the table steward waited hopefully for their arrival as I guess he knew they hadn't had the automatic daily charges. And they were from a country where tipping is the norm.

We always do late traditional. On the last night there is a lot of absenteeism!!! Once our waiter received a sealed but empty envelope from someone. Did not want to appear cheap to their tablemates so the faked it. Unbelievable.

Although this does not pertain to dinner mates, I would like to add this very touching experience of ours.

As DH served in Vietnam (1966 – 1967), we chose to take the PCL Veteran’s Cruise (2013) which was fantastic.

On this cruise, a strange series of events occurred which told us that our fate was truly meant to be.

Maybe one or two times prior (in almost 40 PCL cruises) we have never gone to the MDR for breakfast . . . at least that we can remember. Somehow, on the next to the last day of the cruise we spontaneously opted to do so.

We were seated at a two top near the 2nd (not main entrance) set of doors that are typically used for excursion disembarkation. After being seated and placing our orders, an elderly (but spry) couple was seated at a table next to us and against the wall. Within no time, the gentleman asked my husband what branch of service he had been in and then if he had been in Vietnam. Initially, DH really "didn’t want to be bothered", but, as it turns out, all of us were so glad that the gentleman at the other table persisted.

When the gentleman stated that he had served in Tay Ninh, my husband immediately turned and said, “I was there”, with all his near-aloofness then fully abandoned. The man then informed DH that he was a Physician at the hospital. (This hospital attended to the 196th LIB in which my husband served as a grunt) To make a long story short, and after the two exchanging common experiences and knowledge, it turns out that Dr. B was the Anesthesiologist for my husband when he was shot in the Michelin Rubber Plantation and airlifted (in pitch black darkness) to said hospital. It was a very surreal experience with both Dr. B’s wife and I choking back tears.

For the first couple of years or so, they kept in touch. Although now it is a little harder, as Dr. B has moved several times and we are trying to find where to send the Christmas Card. I keep getting several different addresses from several different online sources. Oh well. We’ll send one to each address obtained and hope for the best that one of them will be the right one.

Kudos and many thanks to then CEO Buckelew for setting up such a wonderful cruise.

We are planning a 50th anniversary cruise and are trying to decide how to answer the inevitable - "what did you do for a living question." I actually retired from the corporate world at 47, and chill out as a bartender for the next 25 years.

I don't know if I want to deal with questions like "how did you manage that", etc. So I have decided to tell them I wired for the government in one of the " 3 letter" agencies, going places I can't talk about, doing things they do not want to know!

Although this does not pertain to dinner mates, I would like to add this very touching experience of ours.

As DH served in Vietnam (1966 – 1967), we chose to take the PCL Veteran’s Cruise (2013) which was fantastic.

On this cruise, a strange series of events occurred which told us that our fate was truly meant to be.

Maybe one or two times prior (in almost 40 PCL cruises) we have never gone to the MDR for breakfast . . . at least that we can remember. Somehow, on the next to the last day of the cruise we spontaneously opted to do so.

We were seated at a two top near the 2nd (not main entrance) set of doors that are typically used for excursion disembarkation. After being seated and placing our orders, an elderly (but spry) couple was seated at a table next to us and against the wall. Within no time, the gentleman asked my husband what branch of service he had been in and then if he had been in Vietnam. Initially, DH really "didn’t want to be bothered", but, as it turns out, all of us were so glad that the gentleman at the other table persisted.

When the gentleman stated that he had served in Tay Ninh, my husband immediately turned and said, “I was there”, with all his near-aloofness then fully abandoned. The man then informed DH that he was a Physician at the hospital. (This hospital attended to the 196th LIB in which my husband served as a grunt) To make a long story short, and after the two exchanging common experiences and knowledge, it turns out that Dr. B was the Anesthesiologist for my husband when he was shot in the Michelin Rubber Plantation and airlifted (in pitch black darkness) to said hospital. It was a very surreal experience with both Dr. B’s wife and I choking back tears.

For the first couple of years or so, they kept in touch. Although now it is a little harder, as Dr. B has moved several times and we are trying to find where to send the Christmas Card. I keep getting several different addresses from several different online sources. Oh well. We’ll send one to each address obtained and hope for the best that one of them will be the right one.

Kudos and many thanks to then CEO Buckelew for setting up such a wonderful cruise.

Beautiful story, Chief.

Respect.

We are planning a 50th anniversary cruise and are trying to decide how to answer the inevitable - "what did you do for a living question." I actually retired from the corporate world at 47, and chill out as a bartender for the next 25 years.

I don't know if I want to deal with questions like "how did you manage that", etc. So I have decided to tell them I wired for the government in one of the " 3 letter" agencies, going places I can't talk about, doing things they do not want to know!

Answering questions in that manner will just invite more questions. Just tell them you're an investigator for the IRS.