From Universal Studios to Port Canaveral

CBVest

Hey all-

First, my apologies, my Google Fu/thread searching is failing me so, while I'm sure this is answered elsewhere a hundred times, I can't find it.

We're flying in three days prior to our cruise and staying in Orlando (not sure where yet but somewhere close to the Harry Potter thing [9 year old is a BIG fan]). Right now, my plan is to taxi back to the airport and take a shuttle to Port Canaveral from there.

Is there a better way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would compare the price of a cheap rental car and drop it at PC the morning of your cruise -- all of the agencies in PC/Cocoa Beach offer free shuttles to the port.

If you stick with your plan I would use either Uber or Lyft to get back to MCO -- or even price out using Uber to PC.

last time I ran the UBER estimator it gave a price of $80 but note that UBER prices are dynamic. It could be higher, I doubt you'd see it 'much' lower ... maybe $75 ....

With some shopping and a discount code, rentals for short term and one way can be had for as little as $45 (one day). Once you get ON SR-528 the drive is a piece of cake (but DOES involve tolls ... you CAN pay cash - bring a roll of quarters and you'll be covered for a one way drive.) Sorry but from Universal to 528 you are probably gonna end up on I-4 for a few miles and this can be a b*i*t*c*h especially on a weekday during rush hours.

You might also look at a rental for ALL your time in Orlando with a return at the port as these too can be found for 'a good price' AND can save you additional costs for getting meals, buying last minute items for the cruise etc etc. The driving isn't bad in the area most of the time .... over 50% of the cars you'll see will be folks just like you: semi lost tourists trying to follow directions from spousal unit who's watching the MAP APP on their phone!!!!

We did a car service from a Universal hotel to the port and it was $120. I know it's a little more than some other options. But jumping shuttles or trying to get to a rental car and wait in line just wasn't worth the few extra $$$$.

Who did you use for the private car service? :confused:

last time I ran the UBER estimator it gave a price of $80 but note that UBER prices are dynamic. It could be higher, I doubt you'd see it 'much' lower ... maybe $75 ....

With some shopping and a discount code, rentals for short term and one way can be had for as little as $45 (one day). Once you get ON SR-528 the drive is a piece of cake (but DOES involve tolls ... you CAN pay cash - bring a roll of quarters and you'll be covered for a one way drive.) Sorry but from Universal to 528 you are probably gonna end up on I-4 for a few miles and this can be a b*i*t*c*h especially on a weekday during rush hours.

You might also look at a rental for ALL your time in Orlando with a return at the port as these too can be found for 'a good price' AND can save you additional costs for getting meals, buying last minute items for the cruise etc etc. The driving isn't bad in the area most of the time .... over 50% of the cars you'll see will be folks just like you: semi lost tourists trying to follow directions from spousal unit who's watching the MAP APP on their phone!!!!

Capt BJ, how can I find a cheap rental like that? I'm leaving Walt Disney World Saturday night and headed to Cocoa Beach to my hotel and sailing out on the Oasis Sunday morning. I would love to get a rental Saturday and return it Sunday morning at the price you quoted.

An Uber from Universal to the Port is about $45 for an UberX. Have done it multiple times. The Uber Select which are slightly nicer cars is $80. Renting a car one way is madness and a waste of a lot of time and energy.

I want to get an Uber about 10pm on a Saturday night to bring me to Port Canaveral. What is the likelihood of my finding a driver?