Can you leave a tour?

jabrown40

We will be signing up for our tours in the next couple days for our Caribbean trip on the Viking Sea in February. We are also doing a couple of private tours. I was wondering if we sign up for a couple of the walking tours, if my husband gets tired, or we aren't interested in the next stop, can we opt to leave the tour and get transportation back to the pier on our own? Do we have to return to the ship with the group, or can we choose to stay on in town? (Especially Curacao?)

We will be signing up for our tours in the next couple days for our Caribbean trip on the Viking Sea in February. We are also doing a couple of private tours. I was wondering if we sign up for a couple of the walking tours, if my husband gets tired, or we aren't interested in the next stop, can we opt to leave the tour and get transportation back to the pier on our own? Do we have to return to the ship with the group, or can we choose to stay on in town? (Especially Curacao?)

It’s been many years since we took any group tours but there is no reason you cannot leave the group and Do your own thing. It is always polite to tell the guide you are leaving. Many years ago we left tours that went to unannounced shopping and guides that stood around for long periods talking not walking. Just enjoy!

We have only cruised the Mediterranean, but in many of the ports we visited, Viking had shuttles running back to the ship from a designated location for those who wanted to stay in town on their own. We did that several times.

On any excursion that includes transportation by bus, it is essential to let the guide know if you plan to return on your own so that the group is not kept waiting for you at the end of the tour.

Yes, you can bail out early, just let the tour guide know. Have done this on viking tours before.

Yes, you can bail out early, just let the tour guide know. Have done this on viking tours before.

So have we! When we were in Monte Carlo in January, we inadvertently signed up for the leisurely tour, which was so leisurely I thought I'd do a face plant on the sidewalk were it to move any slower. We bailed on that one after saying Au Revoir to our guide.

Edited by dln929
spe

Yes, we bailed on quite a few but told the guide and tipped them when we left. Unfortunately, others bailed but didn't tell and we got stuck waiting for them....half an hour in Barcelona!!

We absolutely have done DIY from Tours - in fact it is not uncommon for us to do this - we also tip the guide and driver when we do so and make sure that they are fully aware we are on our own in our return. It is not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be signing up for our tours in the next couple days for our Caribbean trip on the Viking Sea in February. We are also doing a couple of private tours. I was wondering if we sign up for a couple of the walking tours, if my husband gets tired, or we aren't interested in the next stop, can we opt to leave the tour and get transportation back to the pier on our own? Do we have to return to the ship with the group, or can we choose to stay on in town?

We have used Viking transportation to get to town and them went out on our own. It is only polite to let the guide know what is going on since they will be concerned if someone is missing. Also note, you should have planned a way to get back to the ship (pick up spot, cab, train, etc). In Rome, we left the group and went back to the port by train. Worked great except we found we had little opportunity for transportation from the train depot to the port. We worked it out. It was an adventure but there were moments where we questioned the decision. Would do it again.