allen.crawford

Best Key Lime Pie?

After reading through this thread, I am now officially planning on eating my body weight in Key Lime Pie next week.:eek:

After reading through this thread, I am now officially planning on eating my body weight in Key Lime Pie next week.:eek:

Just be sure to have the chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick as your final tasting, else you might not try the others.:D

Mike:)

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be in Key West on Sunday, March 29 from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. One of my requirements for the trip is of course key lime pie. I've been perusing the forums here as well as looking around online. I am pretty sure I'd like to go to able Heaven, but I'm concerned about how long the wait could be. If there's available space at the bar, would we be able to just get a slice there with a shorter wait? Or are there any other key lime places that put meringue on their pies that could be an option as well? Thank you.

Hey everyone!

I'm going to be in Key West on Sunday, March 29 from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. One of my requirements for the trip is of course key lime pie. I've been perusing the forums here as well as looking around online. I am pretty sure I'd like to go to able Heaven, but I'm concerned about how long the wait could be. If there's available space at the bar, would we be able to just get a slice there with a shorter wait? Or are there any other key lime places that put meringue on their pies that could be an option as well? Thank you.

There will be a wait on Sunday since you won't be able to be at Blue Heaven when they open at 0800. If you wait until around 1000 or so then you should be able to be seated right away; but it will fill up again near 1100 for lunch. I have never seen anyone eat at the bar but that is not to say that it can't be done. We are having breakfast there on Saturday after you so sorry I can't check before then.

Grew up there. La Dichosa is a great bakery. I haven't lived there in decades, but my friends that still live there recommend Blue Heaven if you're just looking for a piece of authentic Key Lime pie.

THAT is my idea of key lime pie. Looks just like when I make it at home. I know purists will say it should have whipped cream instead of meringue, but I LOVE meringue.

Where is Blue Heaven? Or rather, how do I get there from the port?

Actually, a true KLP purist insists on a baked custard style with meringue. As a salt water conch, I never had no bake cheesecake style with whipped cream until I grew up and moved away.

Clearly the best lime pie on a stick is chocolate covered and available at Kermits (two locations in Key West).

There will be a wait on Sunday since you won't be able to be at Blue Heaven when they open at 0800. If you wait until around 1000 or so then you should be able to be seated right away; but it will fill up again near 1100 for lunch. I have never seen anyone eat at the bar but that is not to say that it can't be done. We are having breakfast there on Saturday after you so sorry I can't check before then.

Realise this post is a couple of years ago, but to update I was able to get a slice of key lime pie at the bar on a Sunday lunchtime. It was very, very busy. Think we may have had to wait up to an hour to get a table.

The Island Fish Company and Tiki Hut just north of Key Colony Beach, Marathon has a Key Lime pie concoction quite different from any I've tried. It is a deep fried key lime pie that is wrapped in a cinnamon sugar -sprinkled tortilla crust, then fried. I don't recommend this for dieters or those suffering from high cholesterol.

By the way the above is a fun restaurant and bar on the water (Gulf side) with a large menu that included a wide variety of food, not just the usual Florida Keys fish and sea food items.

The name of this place is Porky's and it has the best frozen then fried key lime (even better than my home made one!). The place is an open air bar/restaurant with a docking spot at the back. The chef is the owner (along with her husband) and is from Germany. If you go by Marathon, stop in, you won't be disappointed.