If in Aquaclass, are the speciality restaurants worth visiting on a 10 night cruise?

AidenL

We will be on Reflection in June.

We will be Aqua and so will have Blu included. I’m just wondering is it worth paying extra to try the speciality restaurants?

Last cruise on Equinox, we loved the food and the ambience of Blu.

We like Italian, so Tuscan would appeal, as does Murano, being probably the nicest restaurant on the ship, bar the suite restaurant.

I’d be interested to hear others opinions.

We didn’t feel it was necessary to venture outside of Blu, especially since we were already paying an upcharge to be in AQ in the first place and we always enjoyed the food AND the specialty BLU cocktails. If we can get AQ for $25 more pp per day over a regular balcony then we go AQ. We don’t want to pay another $35-$50 pp up and above that, however. Otherwise we would have simply gone in the lowest priced balcony and then bought a specialty dinner package for a few nights to add onto our cruise price, ideally waiting until onboard to book said package, as apparently you can sometimes get discounted packages once onboard or after a couple days onboard based on what others have indicated.

If we have OBC to spend, we will book a restaurant. On our last cruise, we did a reduced price for Tuscan and it was really great. We like that Blu is small, not as crowded and you get to know the serving staff better. Do not pay full price for any restaurant. On our first day of the cruise, we go to the restaurant and find out when they have a night that they will give us a reduced price, and then we book.

On Reflection, I would take advantage of the first night discount offered to Blu cruisers. We have gotten 50% at times and never less than 30%. The first night has been chaotic in Blu on the Reflection in our experiences. We did it twice and never again. You have more cruisers eligible to dine in Blu and the lines and service were not to our liking. We will also go to a Specialty on another night or two depending on the menu and service in Blu.

We are willing to pay for these restaurants, especially Murano and the Lawn Club Grill.

On Reflection, I would take advantage of the first night discount offered to Blu cruisers. We have gotten 50% at times and never less than 30%. The first night has been chaotic in Blu on the Reflection in our experiences. We did it twice and never again. You have more cruisers eligible to dine in Blu and the lines and service were not to our liking. We will also go to a Specialty on another night or two depending on the menu and service in Blu.

We are willing to pay for these restaurants, especially Murano and the Lawn Club Grill.

Why is it chaotic on the first night?

We missed the first night last time, which was our first cruise actually, and I was told afterwards that the food is usually good on the first night, with fillet mignon for example, so we were regretting having missed it.

I think the consensus here is, definitely wait for discounts on board anyway, if sampling speciality.

On the Reflection I would suggest the Lawn Grill. Murano is very good but it is on every S class ship. We love the Lawn Grill which is only on the Reflection & Silhouette. We love Blu and rarely do speciality restUrants when in AQ except for LG.

We did as another poster suggested and used the 50% off specialty offer on the first night when we sailed AQ. I think we made the right decision - we walked by Blu on our way to dinner and there was a long line of people waiting to be seated. Otherwise, we were very happy with the food in Blu and didn't feel like we were missing out by not doing many specialty restaurants on that trip. Since you're on a 10-day, though, you might want to visit one or two just for a change in scenery. Check the Blu menu daily to see if there's a specific day where nothing sounds great and do a specialty that night.

Why is it chaotic on the first night?

We missed the first night last time, which was our first cruise actually, and I was told afterwards that the food is usually good on the first night, with fillet mignon for example, so we were regretting having missed it.

I think the consensus here is, definitely wait for discounts on board anyway, if sampling speciality.

People seem to arrive at the same time, there are more eligible cruisers to dine in Blu, and the servers are out straight. A few years ago on Reflection, servers were carrying out these big serving trays, placing them in the area, and serving 4 tables using that tray on the first night. Very slow service. I thought I was at a banquet. Not the first time. Now we go to a Specialty on the first night to avoid that.

We have booked the Tuscan Grill a few times for the first night of our cruises and have always done this in advance as we too have heard the first night in Blu is not the best. My question is should we wait until we board to make our reservations this time for the first night? Do they have openings and what discount should we look for?

For wife and I absolutely not. Specialties are too expensive on Celebrity, our last cruise we only did Murano because we had a lot of OBC. Before that cruise hadn't done a specialty in a long time due to the price.

For DH and I absolutely yes- We much prefer the food and service in all of the specialty restaurants. We enjoy Tuscan, Murano, the Lawn grill (on Silhouette and Reflection only) and Qsine- After all we are on vacation, why not experience the best. Also, variety is great. Typically discounts are available on board for the first and last nights- just ask.

We have booked the Tuscan Grill a few times for the first night of our cruises and have always done this in advance as we too have heard the first night in Blu is not the best. My question is should we wait until we board to make our reservations this time for the first night? Do they have openings and what discount should we look for?

They typically have openings on the first night. In fact, many openings. 20% is the minimum and 30% is the norm. On some occasions when it is really slow, we have gotten 50%.

For wife and I absolutely not. Specialties are too expensive on Celebrity, our last cruise we only did Murano because we had a lot of OBC. Before that cruise hadn't done a specialty in a long time due to the price.

For wife and me absolutely yes. Murano is so much better than Blu in every way and Qsine, which we avoided like the plague for many cruises, now has a certain appeal.

We look at the menu for dinner each morning...it is posted behind the breakfast menu

Some nights there are just not offerings that are very appealing, so we go elsewhere. Still too much game birds.. The new additions were a very small tweak!

Just got off Reflection and very much enjoyed Blu. We were offered 50% off Murano the first night and very much enjoyed it. It's the one specialty restaurant on Celebrity that we won't miss and that discount was a lovely bonus. Ask in the specialty restaurants if you can get a discount since you're in Blu for your dining. They usually offer a discount. We don't care for Tuscan or Qsine, and were so content in Blu that we never got around to trying Lawn Club....maybe next cruise!

Just got off Reflection and very much enjoyed Blu. We were offered 50% off Murano the first night and very much enjoyed it. It's the one specialty restaurant on Celebrity that we won't miss and that discount was a lovely bonus. Ask in the specialty restaurants if you can get a discount since you're in Blu for your dining. They usually offer a discount. We don't care for Tuscan or Qsine, and were so content in Blu that we never got around to trying Lawn Club....maybe next cruise!

Following this thread with interest -

How late during the first day/evening can you get the discount to Murano, or even a reservation?

We are sailing Jan 20 on Equinox. We started out in Concierge, but switched to Aqua Class after the Cyber Monday sale. When we made our original booking, we reserved Murano on the last sea day at a prime time, because we enjoy dressing up and wanted to make that a special evening. Now that we are in Blu, I still want to try Murano, but we don't have the same incentive to make a particular evening special. At the same time, unlike an earlier poster, we enjoy having the same waitstaff and particularly the same sommelier each night, so I'm a little hesitant to not make that connection in Blu the first evening. Waiting in line the first evening would be a big turnoff for us, BUT we rarely go to the shows, so sitting in the bar and waiting out the line would probably not be a big deal.

So, see what the discount is looking like after we board and rebook Murano the first night, and cancel our current reservation afterward? I guess I'm assuming we can't walk past Blu when we are hungry, say no to the line, then go to Murano (that seems a little tacky, but hey!). As further background, we have some OBC left, but we do also want to do Chef's Table if we can get in... so yet another alternative would be to forgo Murano altogether and just do that.