More gratuity increases. When will it stop?

BabsinTX

Just another way NCL is trying to squeeze people for a few more bucks. Just think about it for a minute, the increase from 18% to 20% coupled with the increase in price from $79 yo $89 means an extra $25 per person per 7 day cruise. We know that the workers aren't getting this money, NCL is pocketing it. That's why it's not called gratuities and instead a service charge. Do the math...

The Escape holds about 4,000 people. If 3,000 out of 4,000 have the beverage package that's $75,000 in additional revenue NCL is making per week. That's $3.9 million dollars additional just one 1 ship per year. So those 2 subtle changes mean roughly $15-20 million per year they're pocketing and it's coming out of the pockets of those that sail NCL.

I've been on NCL a couple of times and had a good time but the more they try to squeeze the more it rubs me the wrong way. That's why just a few days ago I decided to book MSC instead of NCL for my next cruise. No hidden fees and much more value for my money IMO.

NCL...just how far will you go?

I hope you like MSC. When I was still an agent (many years ago) the few I booked on them were very disappointed, many due to service. The ships are lovely, that is where it ends from what I have heard. Our own travel agent feels about the same way with or without fees.

Do I like all the new nickel and diming as some put it? Heck no, but we have found a way of getting around this, like othes. We book when gratuities are part of the perk package. That way we board the ship, knowing we have absolutely no extra charges unless we choose to add things we want. We got off our last cruise last month with only a $350 charge and that included buying our future cruise certificate.

I actually know they pocket the money. My college roommate works for them in Florida and the increase in service charges is going directly to their bottom line. NCL is hurting because of the Hurricanes (as are other cruise lines) and this is just a way for them to increase revenue. Had this conversation about a year ago and out of the daily gratuities you pay about 1/2 go to the workers in the form of incentives etc but out of the service charges you pay only about 1/3 ends up going to them and out of the increase from $79 to $89 and 18% to 20% the workers are seeing a $0 increase. Stop defending NCL when you have no idea what you're talking about. There's a reason they're no longer called "gratuities" and instead are called "service charges".

You absolutely do not know this, even if your friend said it is fact. She unlikely doesn't have a clue either. BTW, the charges have always,from day one been called DSC, never gratuities. This is not new. You also need to remember the DSC pool includes lots of different, behind the screen employees,not just servers and cabin stewards.

You say NCL as other lines have been hurt by the hurricanes, explain that. The resorts, as we know were hurt badly but the cruise lines, not really. They simply changed thier itineraries. Their stock sure doesn't show how they have been hurt. One of your posts you mention NCL charges more for their UBP and offers less, this is not true. Check out what you are posting.

Obviously you have a bone to pick with NCL so you are here to let everyone know things that are not really fact; You opinion is just that, but please don't post it as fact!!

I am not defending them necessarily, I am simply saying just because someone told you something doesn't make it fact.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Another reason for us to decline the beverage packages. We are moderate wine drinkers and avoid the beverage pacakages because the gratuity is based on the ridiculous value assigned by NCL. We might purchase 5 bottles of wine during a 7 day cruise, costing less than just the grats.

No other cruise line charges grats on the beverage packages.

When I start comparing NCL with other cruise lines, it becomes harder to pick NCL.

The bartenders should be just fine as there should be plenty of gratuities to go around. For instance; take the Escape. Let's say half of the 4000 guests take the UBP perk. The 20% service fee for the 2000 UBP guests would generate roughly $250K give or take. There are 10 bars. Assuming every bar has three bartenders and two waiters that equates to 50 workers. Add in another 50 roving waiters for the pool, restaurants, etc. and I come up with roughly 100 beverage workers. That comes out at $2500 per week per beverage worker. If I underestimated the number of beverage servers and there were double my estimate or 200 beverage workers that would still leave $1250 per worker per week or $5,000 per month.

I have a feeling much of the UBP service fee goes to subsidize the drink package or who knows what else.

That compares nicely with what bartenders self-report as their income on glassdoor.com ... from $3000 to $5000 a month.

Another reason for us to decline the beverage packages. We are moderate wine drinkers and avoid the beverage pacakages because the gratuity is based on the ridiculous value assigned by NCL. We might purchase 5 bottles of wine during a 7 day cruise, costing less than just the grats.

When I start comparing NCL with other cruise lines, it becomes harder to pick NCL.

You are wrong Carnival for sure DOES charge gratuity on Cheers package. Just bought it a month ago before they have/had their price increase.

You are wrong Carnival for sure DOES charge gratuity on Cheers package. Just bought it a month ago before they have/had their price increase.

OK, Carnival my do so now, even though my Son did a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago and they didn't charge then.

I know Celebrity and RCI don't charge and I don't think HAL or Princess do as well.

It doesn't change what NCL does, uncharging a huge amount. I can still find cruises with Celebrity and RCI that don't have the bundled pricing with promos that I don't want.

You know what, I generally do not begrudge any gratuities paid to the crew but it is really getting to be a lot.

Also noticed NCL tends to charge more for ports fees and taxes too for similar or sometime the same itineraries from Carnival. Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Last night I found great deal but after port fees, taxes and doing the math with gratuities, I had sticker shock at the final price.

BTW, the charges have always,from day one been called DSC, never gratuities. This is not new.

NCL has used the term "gratuities" to describe the DSC. They've also used the term "service charge".

20150227_hero.jpg

headerImage.jpg

Too many people get into the "...it's not a tip, it's a service charge....it's not a service charge, it's a gratuity....it's not a gratuity, it's a..." argument but NCL uses whatever term they want to use to describe the DSC.

Even on the UBP/SDP, NCL uses both "gratuity" and "service charge" at times. It's bad enough that people argue about where the money goes but they also argue about what it is called.

NCL has used the term "gratuities" to describe the DSC. They've also used the term "service charge".

20150227_hero.jpg

headerImage.jpg

Too many people get into the "...it's not a tip, it's a service charge....it's not a service charge, it's a gratuity....it's not a gratuity, it's a..." argument but NCL uses whatever term they want to use to describe the DSC.

Even on the UBP/SDP, NCL uses both "gratuity" and "service charge" at times. It's bad enough that people argue about where the money goes but they also argue about what it is called.

2Wheeles,

I see an * by Free Gratuities, could you please reference that for me.

The way I look at it no matter what term is used we have 3 options. Pay it and go on the cruise, don’t pay and stay home or go with another line.

2Wheeles,

I see an * by Free Gratuities, could you please reference that for me.

That's an old promo. Finding the corresponding T&C might be difficult. The asterisk was probably to state that it was just for guests 1&2.

They don't always use the asterisk....sometimes, they use 2. ;p

EDIT: I found this...

**Pre-Paid Gratuities:

Prepaid gratuities, otherwise referred to as "Service Charges," applicable to the 1st and 2nd guest in the stateroom 3 years of age and up.

Offer not applicable to guests 3-8.

Guests are responsible for onboard gratuities applicable to all other shipboard purchases.

Offer has no cash value and cannot be disputed.

I don't really care what it's called. I know what it is and how much it cost. I don't like how much it cost especially when it goes up but prices go up over time. That is understandable. It's how NCL goes about the increases that bothers me almost as much.

That's an old promo. Finding the corresponding T&C might be difficult. The asterisk was probably to state that it was just for guests 1&2.

They don't always use the asterisk....sometimes, they use 2. ;p

I don't really care what it's called. I know what it is and how much it cost. I don't like how much it cost especially when it goes up but prices go up over time. That is understandable. It's how NCL goes about the increases that bothers me almost as much.

I agree mostly. I was just on line researching. Could not find any definitions on their wording.

What if I might ask bothers you about how they go about it??

Sorry, I’m just and inquisitive person.

Thanks.

What if I might ask bothers you about how they go about it??

Sorry, I’m just and inquisitive person.

NCL needs to improve their communication. With so many rapid changes coming every 2 months or less, there will be miscommunication and confusion. Plus, the website isn't always updated to reflect the changes (some places still have 18% where it should be 20%, some had $79pppd for the UBP when the the price was $89pppd, etc.)

Yes, people should read and do the research but NCL is too (intentionally?) inconsistent with their information which adds to the frustration. One thing that NCL could do is actually announce when changes are coming. People who may be "on the fence" about booking would book sooner. When NCL just makes a change that people have to read about on CC, those "on the fence" people will bail and not book.

That's why I continue to cruise with Princess. I don't need all that "free" stuff that costs me in the end anyway. Next time you book, ask for the regular price without the "free" things and you'll be amazed how much cheaper it is. If you really believe they are giving you all those promotions for free your sadly mistaken. It's hidden in the cost somewhere.

They also only charge 15 % gratuities and their daily charge is much lower than NCL also. Only 13.50 pp a day.

Drinks are affordable. A very nice glass of wine is $9 gratuity included.

NCL needs to improve their communication. With so many rapid changes coming every 2 months or less, there will be miscommunication and confusion. Plus, the website isn't always updated to reflect the changes (some places still have 18% where it should be 20%, some had $79pppd for the UBP when the the price was $89pppd, etc.)

Yes, people should read and do the research but NCL is too (intentionally?) inconsistent with their information which adds to the frustration. One thing that NCL could do is actually announce when changes are coming. People who may be "on the fence" about booking would book sooner. When NCL just makes a change that people have to read about on CC, those "on the fence" people will bail and not book.

Thanks for your answers. Question: Do you book on your own, use a travel agency or use an NCL PCC.

The reason I ask is the one I use informed me of these changes, been using him for years.

Take Care

OK, Carnival my do so now, even though my Son did a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago and they didn't charge then.

I know Celebrity and RCI don't charge and I don't think HAL or Princess do as well.

It doesn't change what NCL does, uncharging a huge amount. I can still find cruises with Celebrity and RCI that don't have the bundled pricing with promos that I don't want.

Just trying to compare things to now, not 2 years ago. Much has changed in 2 years.

Heck cruise lines served Lobster a couple of years ago ( another hot topic).

Also there are many who do care about the bundle pricing.

I will be paying about 1,000.00 more for my upcoming cruise on Carnival than my Jan. 2019 cruise on NCL Bliss. Sure it's an 8 day as opposed to a 7 day, but is it worth it. To me YES because it fits what I wanted ( itinerary and time frame)

Carnival

It costs extra for Cheers- Yes we enjoy our cocktails.

It costs extra for Specialty Dining-Yes it a nice change of pace.

NCL -Yes they are bundled into price. See above those perks we enjoy.

To all the people that are saying if you don’t like this increase find another Cruise line, I didn’t realize we had to agree with every company policy.

I like the overall experience on NCL and will continue to sail with them. Even though complaining about it probably does nothing I think people can and should still voice their opinions.

Do you book on your own, use a travel agency or use an NCL PCC.

The reason I ask is the one I use informed me of these changes, been using him for years.

I've done multiple ways. For me, the best is to handle things myself.

These changes haven't hurt me personally. I'm "locked in" before most changes happen. I'm not loyal to any line and will always look elsewhere. I'm trying MSC for the first time in a few months not because of changes to NCL but because they offered something that was interesting. I booked Seaside in 2016 for a 2018 cruise and I'm still learning things about the line and the ship.

I'm looking forward to NCL's Project Leonardo. I have a gut feeling that the Haven on that ship will be aft which would suit me perfectly since I prefer the H6 to the "in the Haven" staterooms.

I go by the "What am I getting for what I am paying?" philosophy. The changes are hurting the ratio but as long as I am getting something that I want for a price that I am willing to pay, I'll sail NCL. It's just that every increase gets closer to that point where NCL is not worth it. If NCL would improve some things (especially for suite guests), the ratio would get better but I can't remember when NCL did something to improve. The changes in Latitude benefits mean nothing to me.

I've done multiple ways. For me, the best is to handle things myself.

These changes haven't hurt me personally. I'm "locked in" before most changes happen. I'm not loyal to any line and will always look elsewhere. I'm trying MSC for the first time in a few months not because of changes to NCL but because they offered something that was interesting. I booked Seaside in 2016 for a 2018 cruise and I'm still learning things about the line and the ship.

I'm looking forward to NCL's Project Leonardo. I have a gut feeling that the Haven on that ship will be aft which would suit me perfectly since I prefer the H6 to the "in the Haven" staterooms.

I go by the "What am I getting for what I am paying?" philosophy. The changes are hurting the ratio but as long as I am getting something that I want for a price that I am willing to pay, I'll sail NCL. It's just that every increase gets closer to that point where NCL is not worth it. If NCL would improve some things (especially for suite guests), the ratio would get better but I can't remember when NCL did something to improve. The changes in Latitude benefits mean nothing to me.

Couldn’t agree. We do what suits our needs even if not cruising.

Thanks for the indulgence.

Last night I found great deal but after port fees, taxes and doing the math with gratuities, I had sticker shock at the final price.

I just tried a mock booking. NCL posts a total price that updates dynamically as you add things. Here it is after I added the Choice Beverage and Choice Dining packages:

69j0L88iG_q-aQ11SRwdk4xptikkuznkd5t9A1x8NJP_ScV68YeXL9qlc_rb6xF-DR22L_1LTw5jDIldvxspit4AG4cWtH2ni0Ux4VCuVmInyJKutLtQBdhYrbqJ_BvDI355zaCn0iQq21vShzCcqwCWg5kyNsrZPQN7Fgn3Sd5dEZcNYcqCjJcPSPmHf-Pv80x1_2q2289zqOj97Y7OFZAS7L1L06Vg-c5Qa7TeiSetUeyXObmGyKAbbdWi1OjXMjueSbQ5cw_OzZ0SfJMhyGiVki-n-OcICBPvN56cuSqeTUXekUruWw7z1dMr-WIGGXnl3XF587yhF0uy_arhh6V0R0mvE46QQcPcVBT6Q_fRvkEYhzyg241pFUA4nuuzx_vtEGSWqLaCEk4u0uYLtUPxQ-eRCora8SigF4DWNqWFHVQG_I4OR5h1uJCihib_E0Mjj0ygmEKtiQ1Yld6ujsuewNCnOaFDLXjteedBCeKry7QJOc5_hoUYD2PAOj69anu3xRSmnUss0qUGCpzBKHO0cwqHIwA8cOtWIg_rRz1_fDsRDCjFPVjuVOWAqhuvoOQlRldZt_p6995KDme9atISlmbYs-W45fcUcGA44Wn9Xn1YWn-mzM5FlOl7RqGXWQCw7OewgUrKKG7BqiYUCaC1iv2M31vTCvI=w244-h728-no

I don't see how you can have "sticker shock" after adding those things in when it appears on the right side, in real time, as you select each item. As soon as you select the cabin type, the price is shown along with the "govt fees and taxes". Add in promos and click "Continue" and it updates in real time.

You can choose what the final price is by choosing different promos, or cabins. I guess seeing the price rise as you work through the booking is it? Maybe it's like watching the taxi fare meter keep clicking adding .40 a minute when you are stuck in traffic.

showthread.php?p=54703417&posted=1#post54703417

You absolutely do not know this, even if your friend said it is fact. She unlikely doesn't have a clue either. BTW, the charges have always,from day one been called DSC, never gratuities. This is not new. You also need to remember the DSC pool includes lots of different, behind the screen employees,not just servers and cabin stewards.

You say NCL as other lines have been hurt by the hurricanes, explain that. The resorts, as we know were hurt badly but the cruise lines, not really. They simply changed thier itineraries. Their stock sure doesn't show how they have been hurt. One of your posts you mention NCL charges more for their UBP and offers less, this is not true. Check out what you are posting.

Obviously you have a bone to pick with NCL so you are here to let everyone know things that are not really fact; You opinion is just that, but please don't post it as fact!!

I am not defending them necessarily, I am simply saying just because someone told you something doesn't make it fact.

My friend (he and not she) works on revenue generation projects so if anyone would know it would probably be him.

As far as how cruise lines have been hurt by the hurricanes...all you have to do is look at all the additional expenses incurred and revenue lost while the hurricanes were sweeping thru the Caribbean. Several sailings were cancelled, and several others extended with no additional revenue coming in (while maintaining operating costs). Also, if you look at the cruise fares compared to last year at the same time I think you'll see that many cruise lines had to lower their fares to fill up their ships.

As far as the UBP package...name 1 cruise line that charges $89 per day or more (plus 20% automatic service charge) for their beverage package and doesn't even include bottled water. It's ok, i'll wait...

this is why we have so many choices. For some the package is by far the best was to go, if you only drink less than one bottle of wine per day, you are right, the beverage package isn't a good deal. We never buy the package and wouldn't. The beverage package as a perk is what most of us love. It is great we have choices in the world, whether it is vacationing at a resort, doing a cruise or whatever works. I do think we need to check overall costs and benefits when picking a line today,not compared with what was covered or not 2 years ago, or even a few months ago. All the lines are finding ways to make a buck. One line charges higher rates, another a few xtra $$ for service charge and another hits hard on the price of specialty dining.

Edited by newmexicoNita