Isla Mujeres- On your own?

staylor

Has anyone done this on your own. I have a Cancun book that says it is $4pp each way by motor boat. Is this accurate?

One place I read that the golf carts are $6 per hour, another I read $15. Does anyone know for sure?

Where did you eat?

Thanks for any info.

dolphin.gif

Ecstasy 1996, Fantasy 1997,1998,1999, Imagination 2000, Sovereign 2001, Fantasy 2002, Monarch 2003, Serenade 2004

• 4 weeks later...

We did this on our own. Took the ferry out of cancun, top of the seven, close to circle. It was cheep. Rode over, rented a golf cart for the afternoon. Doesn't take long to go around the island. We ate at a boat repair/restaurant on the south end of the island. Had a a wonderful time. Hope yall enjoy. We go back July 8.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an excellent place to spend a day or a few days. The nice aspect of Isla is that there are not as many people that go there and you will see everyone on the island if you stay a few days. The dancing is great, the food fantastic, and the people are really friendly. It is quite inexpensive compared to other places in Mexico. Enjoy.

http://www.summitcolorado.com

I didnt eat while in Isla, but we also rented golf carts and drove around for a few hours. One word of caution - when we got off the ferry we were bombarded by people wanting us to rent carts from them. I had looked at a few places online and showed a little coupon I had printed out from a very reputable company to a man who came up to us and he said he would take us there (YEAH RIGHT!). He took us to some tiny garage and told me to speak to some kid - maybe 12 years old- behind a counter to get our golf cart. The cart was a wreck - you had to hold down the gas for a few seconds before it would drive and then it would take off like a bat out of hell which made it very dangerous b/c on Isla, you drive your cart in the street with the regular cars. Then our cart broke down completely when we were on the opposite side of the island!! Its laughable now b/c someone offered to help us and fixed it for us, but we really could have been in a bind if he didnt come along.

Be sure to find a repulatable rental company and then have fun on Isla - it is a great place to visit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

We did IM on our own on our first visit to Cancun. We went via the ferry system and rented a golf cart from the man at the ferry (they took us over the golf cart place). At that time it was $40 for the whole day.

Beware of eating on the island, my husband got a very bad case of Montezuma's Revenge on IM, from a nice cafe right on the beach. Only time we have ever had a problem (because we had always done organized tours before and they know where to go). I would recommend bringing food with you if you can.

Has anyone done this on your own. I have a Cancun book that says it is $4pp each way by motor boat. Is this accurate?

One place I read that the golf carts are $6 per hour, another I read $15. Does anyone know for sure?

Where did you eat?

Thanks for any info.

dolphin.gif

Ecstasy 1996, Fantasy 1997,1998,1999, Imagination 2000, Sovereign 2001, Fantasy 2002, Monarch 2003, Serenade 2004

• 2 months later...
We did IM on our own on our first visit to Cancun. We went via the ferry system and rented a golf cart from the man at the ferry (they took us over the golf cart place). At that time it was $40 for the whole day.

Beware of eating on the island, my husband got a very bad case of Montezuma's Revenge on IM, from a nice cafe right on the beach. Only time we have ever had a problem (because we had always done organized tours before and they know where to go). I would recommend bringing food with you if you can.

My husband also got very ill from eating a a cafe right on the beach a couple of years ago! We're due to head back to Cancun on 11/4 for 4 nights if Hurricane Wilma doesn't hit us here in Naples Florida and we're talking about going back to Isla for the afternoon again. I just reminded my husband of how ill he got, it stuck with him for days after we got home. Of course he also drank a coke over ice while I stuck with beer so who knows if it was the ice or the food!

Archived