CaliforniaDon

Specialty Dining offer from Princess - re-gifted by AAA

Princess had a special offer of a specialty dining cover charge on a cruise. I bought our tickets and got two cover charge reservation/purchase vouchers in my account.

Later, I turned the booking over to AAA who, as a special AAA benefit, was offering specialty dining cover charge as a bonus. Wow, TWO special dinners per person. Soon after, there was a voucher in my account from AAA for two dinners. The Princess voucher had vanished!

When I asked my travel agent about that - she checked and reported back that Princess did not offer special dining cover charges, and that it was an AAA thing. Fortunately, I had printed out both the Princess offer, and my receipt of the bonus. Princess then came up with a revised story -- I had gotten the bonus BECAUSE of the Princess relationship with AAA - and I still got one meal per person.

Seeing that Princess is again offering the special dining cover charge on some trips (no mention of AAA in the offer) you should be aware that it will be yours unless someone wants to take it back, put THEIR name on it and give it back to you. So, thanks Princess for the special meal, and thanks AAA for the same special meal.

Travel agencies often boast about the "special" items they can get you with your cruise when they are actually items already offered by Princess and available to anybody.

I think what you have here is a T.A. stating that if you book with them you will get specialty dining vouchers. In fact, the T.A. is just passing over a Princess promo. So no double dipping. If you look around at other T.A.'s they are probably having the same offer.

I think what you have here is a T.A. stating that if you book with them you will get specialty dining vouchers. In fact, the T.A. is just passing over a Princess promo. So no double dipping. If you look around at other T.A.'s they are probably having the same offer.

The above mentioned TA is the main reason I do my own bookings and not use a TA. I had one of the worst booking experiences with this particular TA. They lied, did not do their homework, and just plain didn't care about my requests. If we had followed this TA's insistences I would of paying a lot more. I had to call the cruise ship line to verify everything I was told and found out differently about almost everything. I became my own TA because no one cares more about my trip then me.

When you turned over your booking to AAA, they might have considered it a "new" booking, and therefor cancelled your original promotion, when AAA gave you the booking, they included their promotion, therefore you could not have double promotions on one booking

The above mentioned TA is the main reason I do my own bookings and not use a TA. I had one of the worst booking experiences with this particular TA. They lied, did not do their homework, and just plain didn't care about my requests. If we had followed this TA's insistences I would of paying a lot more. I had to call the cruise ship line to verify everything I was told and found out differently about almost everything. I became my own TA because no one cares more about my trip then me.

I have booked my own and also booked and then transferred to a TA. On our last cruise the TA kicked back $900 of the price of the cruise. Princess got paid the same but my credit card got charged less than if I had just kept the booking myself. When I retired my income took a huge hit and $900 is not something for me to sneeze at. My TA also is available all the time. Even when he is out of town and on the other side of the country his phone voice mail goes to his mobile and he calls back right away. He's not a Monday - Friday 9:00 to 5:00 kind of guy. He also keeps an eye out for changes that may affect my costs and lets me know immediately if there is a price drop or an upsell offer from Princess.

Funny, was just looking at our booking yesterday. There was a promo with princess that you got the free specialty dinner if booked by certain date, which we did. It showed up. We transferred over to TA and it still showed that way. Then upon final payment, it showed that the free specialty dinner was from TA. HMMMMM, is that meaning we get the Princess one and TA is giving another?

I have booked my own and also booked and then transferred to a TA. On our last cruise the TA kicked back $900 of the price of the cruise. Princess got paid the same but my credit card got charged less than if I had just kept the booking myself. When I retired my income took a huge hit and $900 is not something for me to sneeze at. My TA also is available all the time. Even when he is out of town and on the other side of the country his phone voice mail goes to his mobile and he calls back right away. He's not a Monday - Friday 9:00 to 5:00 kind of guy. He also keeps an eye out for changes that may affect my costs and lets me know immediately if there is a price drop or an upsell offer from Princess.

Sounds like you got a keeper. Hold on to him. I know there are good TA's out there I have not been fortunate enough to find one.

I booked my first two cruises through that TA and found out they were just a booking agency with little or no service. So on my third cruise I moved to another local TA who was responsive to my messages but did not look for cheaper fares. I looked for them and when found notified him so that he could get them which he did. After some other bad advice from him, I had the two future cruises with him moved back to Princess and have booked directly ever since very happily. I have a very sour taste for a TA.

Princess had a special offer of a specialty dining cover charge on a cruise. I bought our tickets and got two cover charge reservation/purchase vouchers in my account.

Later, I turned the booking over to AAA who, as a special AAA benefit, was offering specialty dining cover charge as a bonus. Wow, TWO special dinners per person. Soon after, there was a voucher in my account from AAA for two dinners. The Princess voucher had vanished!

When I asked my travel agent about that - she checked and reported back that Princess did not offer special dining cover charges, and that it was an AAA thing. Fortunately, I had printed out both the Princess offer, and my receipt of the bonus. Princess then came up with a revised story -- I had gotten the bonus BECAUSE of the Princess relationship with AAA - and I still got one meal per person.

Seeing that Princess is again offering the special dining cover charge on some trips (no mention of AAA in the offer) you should be aware that it will be yours unless someone wants to take it back, put THEIR name on it and give it back to you. So, thanks Princess for the special meal, and thanks AAA for the same special meal.

Sorry to say, this is typical of travel agents... based on my experience. I use to use a TA, often TA would tell us we had an obc from her when we knew it was really from Princess... after a while decided no value in booking with the TA... now only book directly with Princess. I never called out the TA, just figured she forgot how many years we had been cruising gave us the party line she told all travelers. She had been around the block some years.... LOL Decided we did not need her. Her loss.

Question - I have AAA - is there anyway to get the discount without turning the cruise over to them? I like my travel agent and want to stay with her but a free specialty dinner would be sweet! Lol!

Funny, was just looking at our booking yesterday. There was a promo with princess that you got the free specialty dinner if booked by certain date, which we did. It showed up. We transferred over to TA and it still showed that way. Then upon final payment, it showed that the free specialty dinner was from TA. HMMMMM, is that meaning we get the Princess one and TA is giving another?

No.

Sorry to say, this is typical of travel agents... based on my experience. I use to use a TA, often TA would tell us we had an obc from her when we knew it was really from Princess... after a while decided no value in booking with the TA... now only book directly with Princess. I never called out the TA, just figured she forgot how many years we had been cruising gave us the party line she told all travelers. She had been around the block some years.... LOL Decided we did not need her. Her loss.

These people think you put your blind trust in them and will never question them. Even as a young traveler when you had to buy airplane tickets from a travel agent I learned then could not be bothered with your desires and needs it was just what was expedient for them. Always follow up, I guarantee you that TA will disappoint.

I booked direct with a TA during a promotion where I got: a reduced deposit, two free specialty dining, and OBC. That's what shows on my original paperwork that the TA sent me.

When I log onto the Princess website I see that it shows: Two Specialty Restaurant Cover Charge (with message: TA's company name). Is it supposed to be listed (or listed differently) in my reservations if Princess was the one to provide the cover charge?

Kinda same situation for me. I took an upsell that said it also included 2 deluxe balcony breakfasts. After I paid and looked at my new paperwork it say breakfast is from ta.

Question - I have AAA - is there anyway to get the discount without turning the cruise over to them? I like my travel agent and want to stay with her but a free specialty dinner would be sweet! Lol!
Sorry, no. That would mean you would have your booking with two travel agents.

You can, however, call your current TA and ask if the new promotion can be applied to your booking. Make sure the bottom line cost is to your advantage, including any fees your TA may charge.