There is not that miuch of great beauty or histotry in Martinique, iMO,,,,,,,,, not a particular favorite for some cruisers though, of course, there are those who disagree.No even good shopping. :D

No history in Martinique? Seriously? Martinique is one of the most historical islands in the Caribbean. Perhaps you should Google the city of Saint-Pierre or a guy named Napoleon Bonaparte. Maybe research the beheaded statue of Josephine. I don’t care if people like the island or not but to say there isn’t much history is ridiculous.

Yes I was confused, the website had a notation on "St Lucia and Martinique" of CO (with no times mentioned) which at the top of the itinerary page says CO=cruising only.

Thanks for letting me know that we dock and then scenic cruise. I feel much better. Maybe we will see you on the cruise.

Am glad to read that you feel better. We can all become confused, goodness knows that I have. It is unfortunate though that some members of this thread decided to take a very noticeable patronizing attitude in their response to your post. I noticed that you have not posted a lot to the boards since joining CC. I hope that these posters do not deter you from further posting.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Thanks @zookiebird for being supportive and gracious with your response.

We spent many weeks at Club Med Les Boucaniers, down in St. Anne. Rented a car and toured the island, shopped in Fort-de-France, and really enjoyed it. Loved the island and we're a little too old now for Club Med, but we always enjoy visiting the island on cruises.

Wow Kazu, are you on the HAL payroll!?

You must not be aware that many ships are visiting these ports during February, as a matter of fact the Rotterdam still intends to call at St Lucia on 2/18.

You don't know when HAL made this decision, I know when they announced it!

(As far a "sailing around" is concerned was there ever consideration given to other ports instead?)

While I certainly have sympathy for those suffering from the hurricane, I am just curious about what HAL knew and when did they know it? Sorry if you felt compelled to defend the cruise line. Perhaps I was wrong to express my concerns in an attempt to get full value for my hard earned dollars.

Has it occurred to you that the effects of the September hurricanes are still being felt? A line may decide that, after a couple of port calls, a port previously thought to be sufficiently recovered was not. Additionally, with many ships rescheduling as time goes on, a damaged port deemed capable of handling two ships migh not be up to four of five -- as might happen as rescheduling continues.

It is not an attempt to "defend the cruise line" to point out that things are in a state of flux --- beyond the control of any one cruise line.

Unless you can say for sure "what HAL knew and when did they know it" - it is silly to assume conspiracy - rather than accept the fact that conditions cannot be as normal. If uncertainty was unacceptable to you, you should not have booked a deal which gave the line the right to adjust itineraries - and then refuse to accept the virtually certain uncertainties to be expected after such storms.

Just got off the Koningsdam after a fabulous cruise. No hurricane damage seen anywhere but the lovely ladies working in the stores in St. Thomas still don’t have electricity at home. St. Lucia was especially beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No history in Martinique? Seriously? Martinique is one of the most historical islands in the Caribbean. Perhaps you should Google the city of Saint-Pierre or a guy named Napoleon Bonaparte. Maybe research the beheaded statue of Josephine. I don’t care if people like the island or not but to say there isn’t much history is ridiculous.

Right! I totally did not understand the comment about not a great amount of history in Martinique! We haven’t been there 15 times but certainly discovered a lot of very interesting history on the island. Why would someone dismiss an island’s lack of history when it is actually very rich in history?

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and I can understand people not agreeing on this but history is factual. It can’t be dismissed by opinions!

If you are fortunate enough to be headed to Martinique, do a little homework and you’ll love your visit there!

When I read comments like that - and not particularly from that poster, there have been others that surprised me - I sometimes wonder if they have actually been to the location, or just read some negative review at some time. History, after all, is not a subjective thing, it is factual.

Right! I totally did not understand the comment about not a great amount of history in Martinique! We haven’t been there 15 times but certainly discovered a lot of very interesting history on the island. Why would someone dismiss an island’s lack of history when it is actually very rich in history?

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and I can understand people not agreeing on this but history is factual. It can’t be dismissed by opinions!

If you are fortunate enough to be headed to Martinique, do a little homework and you’ll love your visit there!

I totally agree. Last month was my first visit to Martinique since I was a kid. Many cruise lines stopped going there for a while.

I found the story of Mt Pelee and the ruins of Saint Pierre to be very interesting. Our tour guide was able to get us down to the lower level of the ruins and we got to enter the actual jail cell where the lone survivor was housed. And as for the beauty of the island, we took a road through the center of the island that went up through the rainforest. Yes, it was very beautiful. The rum factory was a nice stop too. ;)

But I guess the beauty/history of the islands is judged by some people on location of the nearest Diamonds International or Cariloha. :rolleyes:

But back to the subject. Op, check your departure times. We left both St Lucia and Martinique around 5 pm, so the scheduled scenic cruising was pointless. It was dark by the time we reached the Pitons and Mt Pelee. Just another reason to visit these historic sites by land. :)