and so it begins....Dec/Jan Circumnavigation of Australia on Regatta

cbb

Thanks for your advice and also the email addresses of whom to send my letter of complaint. My main complaint will be the food though there are a couple of other things. We were fortunate in that our PH suite was fine. No smell in the cabin or outside but then we were right next door to where the Captain and Officers enter to go their quarters and to the bridge. As we walked down the passage to get to the second set of elevators, we did smell some odd smells along the way.

We too were disappointed in that both Cairns and Darwin were scheduled for Public Holidays. I am sure the powers that be could have avoided that by switching us over to New Guinea first before we arrived into Cairns. As it was we missed Townsville which was on the original itinerary, probably due to arriving there on Christmas Day.

It is all very well for those in Miami to map out an itinerary but they do need to know the ports and the Country before doing so. I am sure half of those over there have no idea of the distances that are involved when circumnavigating Australia. It is a huge country, nearly as big as the U.S. and a lot of logistics are involved. March/April would be the ideal time to do the cruise but that is the time when Oceania's ship are sent elsewhere, unfortunately. Still on the positive side, we did have wonderful weather, the sun shone on most days and we didn't experience any rain.

I am glad that we have been right around our country and it has left us with some great memories. We still rate our 35 day cruise on the Nautica back in 2008, when we cruised from Hong Kong to Athens as our best cruise and our second best was our 34 days on Marina from Tahiti to New York in April 2016, even though we missed Easter Island for the 2nd time. Due to missing so many ports on this cruise - 25% of the voyage - and the disappointing food in the Dining Room, this is well down on our list of cruises we have enjoyed.

Jennie

Getting onto Easter Island has been a challenge for many, many cruise lines. We were lucky to get 1 of the 2 days a couple years ago on Marina. I would love to go back, but maybe a land trip would be better, given what I've read about the number of ships that don't make it in. It's a hard and long tender, with not much of a tender dock, and the sea conditions are tricky. It's such a shame, though - such an incredible place.

As for scheduling, if visiting a port on holidays and Sundays had to be avoided by cruise lines, I think scheduling would be a lot harder than it already is - especially with docking limitations and whatnot. I just roll with the punches and find something of interest even if everything is pretty much shut down!

Call me ignorant or a traitor but I cancelled my cruise on Regatta for next fall and switched to similar itinerary on Windstar. When several people say that the Regatta needs an overhaul, and there are odors in the hallways, even in staterooms....if no drydock is scheduled, then I jump ship.

But with sadness as I LOVE O. My TA has clients who also just returned from a Regatta cruise and said the ship needs work. It kills me that NCL is letting this beautiful ship deteriorate. Maybe the plan is to let it go till scheduled dry dock April 2019 and then sell it?

Very good decision- I can tell you that if you went on the Regatta you would likely come back feeling like me- never again on Oceania!

I didn't return home feeling like that though I have now come down with a middle ear infection which developed a day after leaving the ship, I am sure the air conditioning needs checking as some public rooms were freezing whilst others were a good temperature. The Regatta Lounge and Horizons were two very cold venues.

I love the small ships and the interior of the ship was beautifully decorated. Our PH was in excellent condition and they did quite a bit of work on our balcony when we were in the various ports so they are trying to keep the ship like new though it is extremely hard with it being at sea constantly and of course it was one of the first of the "R" ships built, back in 1998.

Having said that, I wouldn't book another cruise on the Regatta. We decided that we prefer being on a newer ship and that the Marina suits us now with its size and the number of passengers on board. We booked a cruise on her for next year as I felt that our experience on the Regatta just wasn't normal. It had arrived down to Sydney after the trouble with the engine or engines and who knows what else. So it was more less jinxed from the start of our cruise especially when we couldn't leave Sydney on time.

Hopefully when we board the Marina in Amsterdam next year, we will have the true Oceania experience that we have enjoyed before.

Jennie

Hi Cynthia,

I had a sore throat for about 5-6 days beforehand and had been taking Panodol but the the flight home didn't help and I awoke on Thursday to an ear which seemed blocked. Nothing I could do would help it so I finally succumbed to a visit to our GP. I am now on Amoxil and hopefully it will be better soon.

Jennie

Yes, I can Cynthia which is great as I need my glass of wine each evening before I start cooking!! No more cooked meals, beds made, laundry done etc. We were spoilt for 5 weeks, weren't we.

We are hoping you are feeling more like your old self by now. Our love to you and Dave.

Jennie

eye & ear are improving-- both will take time to heal on their own without my intervention.

On my way to report for jury duty--understand that the streets close to the building are all torn up so we'll be leaving very early in order to arrive by 8am.

dave is taking me because i worry about driving with a partial hearing loss.

I feel sorry for him but he says not to worry because he has a book and the West Palm Beach Library is very close to my building!

Feel better!

eye & ear are improving-- both will take time to heal on their own without my intervention.

On my way to report for jury duty--understand that the streets close to the building are all torn up so we'll be leaving very early in order to arrive by 8am.

dave is taking me because i worry about driving with a partial hearing loss.

I feel sorry for him but he says not to worry because he has a book and the West Palm Beach Library is very close to my building!

Feel better!

Cynthia - glad to hear you are improving.... I know others may not agree, but I always enjoy being called for Jury duty... :)

Sorry the cruise didn't live up to expectations. That is not what any of us want, especially when we invest the time and money that we do. Hope it's a fluke....and not the new normal.

Joe

Joe-

didn't get called for jury duty--the court clerk said they had a very light case load that day and felt that most of us in the room would not be needed.

I was dismissed by 11:30 and was thrilled--I'm usually not worried about getting sick but returning to the US just in time to hear news of influenza I was glad not to be with people in close quarters!

We're on Riviera at the end of this month and then Nautica for about 30 days in April-May so hopefully we'll get our excitement back about cruising!!!

When do you two cruise again?

Wow! Reading all these posts makes us think whether we should go ahead with our booking for the cruise on Dec 13, 2018. We were on the Nautica in Oct/Nov 2017 Barcelona to Dubai which was a wonderful cruise and will return at the end of June Dublin to Oslo. We have not sailed on the Regatta.

Monica and John

British Columbia, Canada

I am sure you will be fine. Your itinerary is better and you are leaving a week earlier so you could be at sea on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day. Also your Head Chef could be different which I believe can make all the difference to the food.

Jennie

and then Nautica for about 30 days in April-May so hopefully we'll get our excitement back about cruising!!!

We are currently on Nautica in Hong Kong, having done the first half of a 30 day B2B.

This is our first on Oceania and it has been wonderful so far.

The crew, food and ship are all working splendidly.

We have spoken to a number of Oceania regulars and their praise for the crew and food is similar.

There are quite a few senior officers on changeover today but we are confident the excellent standards will continue.

PS: have enjoyed your live reports; thank you.

We are currently on Nautica in Hong Kong, having done the first half of a 30 day B2B.

This is our first on Oceania and it has been wonderful so far.

The crew, food and ship are all working splendidly.

We have spoken to a number of Oceania regulars and their praise for the crew and food is similar.

There are quite a few senior officers on changeover today but we are confident the excellent standards will continue.

PS: have enjoyed your live reports; thank you.

That is reassuring to hear as we will be on the Nautica in March (our favorite R ship).

Could you please post who the senior officers are coming on in HKG?

TIA

I am glad that we have been right around our country and it has left us with some great memories. We still rate our 35 day cruise on the Nautica back in 2008, when we cruised from Hong Kong to Athens as our best cruise and our second best was our 34 days on Marina from Tahiti to New York in April 2016, even though we missed Easter Island for the 2nd time. Due to missing so many ports on this cruise - 25% of the voyage - and the disappointing food in the Dining Room, this is well down on our list of cruises we have enjoyed.

Jennie

Having said that, I wouldn't book another cruise on the Regatta. We decided that we prefer being on a newer ship and that the Marina suits us now with its size and the number of passengers on board. We booked a cruise on her for next year as I felt that our experience on the Regatta just wasn't normal. It had arrived down to Sydney after the trouble with the engine or engines and who knows what else. So it was more less jinxed from the start of our cruise especially when we couldn't leave Sydney on time.

Hopefully when we board the Marina in Amsterdam next year, we will have the true Oceania experience that we have enjoyed before.

Jennie

We were also on the April 2016 cruise from Tahiti, but we got off in Lima. There is no doubt missing Easter Island was a huge disappointment for me as this was half the reason for talking this particular cruise. However, I believe it was still a great cruise. It was on that cruise that I booked a February 2019 Auckland to Sydney cruise..... on Regatta. This cruise is very expensive, but I have rationalized it up until now as worth it. Now I am having second thoughts. We love Oceania but I am wondering if Regatta is not the Oceania that I love.

Kathleen & Jon

That is reassuring to hear as we will be on the Nautica in March (our favorite R ship).

Could you please post who the senior officers are coming on in HKG?

TIA

Captain Maksym Melnikov;

Staff Captain Fabio Tortora;

CD, Shawn Carter.

General Manager, F&B Director, Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager remain unchanged.

Captain Maksym Melnikov;

Staff Captain Fabio Tortora;

CD, Shawn Carter.

General Manager, F&B Director, Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager remain unchanged.

I think Julie James (CD) will be moving to Nautica when she makes the trip to Mumbai (April) from Bangkok and then onwards to Europe. At least she mentioned this to us just before leaving Regatta

I played trivia with Julie and she said I should forget all of her trivia questions/answers since she and I would be on the same Mumbai-Rome cruise and she would probably repeat herself.

If I'd known earlier...I would have kept my notes and memorized them, because you know how valuable those big O points are!!!!

I played trivia with Julie and she said I should forget all of her trivia questions/answers since she and I would be on the same Mumbai-Rome cruise and she would probably repeat herself.

If I'd known earlier...I would have kept my notes and memorized them, because you know how valuable those big O points are!!!!

If Jennie is right and Julie gets on In Tokyo, then we will have her as a CD - that’s good.

Are you sure you don’t have those trivia answers? Look hard (because as you said, those Big O points are valuable - even priceless) :D

paulchili--

i don't need no stinking trivia notes....my steel trap mind will remember everything (not!)

Poor Julie, when she gave the answers there were often immediate protests and people scrambling to look up everything on their phones.

i wish we could ban those things from where trivia is held.....a few folks take trivia waaaay too seriously....she did not declare who had won trivia for the duration of the cruise which I thought was such a good idea

When do you two cruise again?

Not until April 2019. So we have a bit of a wait. Currently booked on Nautica Singapore to Dubai and also on Celebrity Edge for the inaugural transatlantic. One will win out, not sure which at this point.

I'm off to our place in France for two weeks to finish the last apartment so I can get them listed for vacation rentals. Will be nice to have that done ---- it's been in the works for nearly 5 years.

Sitting in the airport this morning awaiting a flight to Dallas for a conference. Thankfully I don't have to travel much any more for business. :-) Much prefer fun travel!

Joe

Can someone recently onboard Regatta please comment on this ship. April 26 will be our first cruise on Oceania (we are loyal Celebrity cruisers). I have read some disheartening comments regarding Regatta. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums