Symphony Deck 5 Staterooms

Stem to Stern

Just off Serenity and looking at the next potential voyage. Can anyone shed light upon the deck 5 window cabins on Symphony? I am thinking one of these window staterooms (category D?) would be a better choice over one on deck 7 since I really do not want to look out my window and see a lifeboat. The deck 5 staterooms are further forward than I am used to, but motion has never been an issue for me.

I have read the reviews from past passengers who stayed on deck 5 and came across mostly positive feedback. Or am I overlooking any window staterooms on deck 7 that are unobstructed? Does anyone have any photos to share or knowledge of staterooms to avoid on Symphony? Thank you!

Paul

Check out this site @ https://limitedviewcabins.wordpress.com/symphony/ with lots of photos of the "obstructed views" - for E1's the obstructions are minimal but for E2's its more likely to impact you

Personally I'd go for Deck 7 E1's as you have easy access to the Promenade deck or one of the Deck 8 E1's if the promenade isn't important to you. Then the next question will likely be "but cant people look into your cabin from the Promenade - the answer is no they cant during the day and after dark you pull your curtains - but for some it seems to be an insurmountable issue that puts them off Deck 7

The D class on Deck 5 are ok - but in heavy seas you may yourself in a cabin with storm covers over the windows - no such thing is going to happen on other decks

The only advantage of the D class in my mind is it's a short walk to the Cove and Waterside Restaurant

Check out this site @ https://limitedviewcabins.wordpress.com/symphony/ with lots of photos of the "obstructed views" - for E1's the obstructions are minimal but for E2's its more likely to impact you

Personally I'd go for Deck 7 E1's as you have easy access to the Promenade deck or one of the Deck 8 E1's if the promenade isn't important to you. Then the next question will likely be "but cant people look into your cabin from the Promenade - the answer is no they cant during the day and after dark you pull your curtains - but for some it seems to be an insurmountable issue that puts them off Deck 7

The D class on Deck 5 are ok - but in heavy seas you may yourself in a cabin with storm covers over the windows - no such thing is going to happen on other decks

The only advantage of the D class in my mind is it's a short walk to the Cove and Waterside Restaurant

I agree and would also go for an E1 on Deck 7 or 8 over a D on Deck 5. Apart from the storm shutter issue during bad weather those corridors are also quite heavy foot traffic areas as they provide access to the medical centre and quite a few back offices and meeting rooms used by officers and crew....

Veering slightly off topic, did Roy’s site not used to show theC2 partially obstructed staterooms on Deck 7 of Serenity? I was sure I’d seen them there previously but just checked and can only see a tab for B2 verandah cabins on the Serenity??

Anne...

Veering slightly off topic, did Roy’s site not used to show theC2 partially obstructed staterooms on Deck 7 of Serenity? I was sure I’d seen them there previously but just checked and can only see a tab for B2 verandah cabins on the Serenity?

Anne - I don't reall the C's being partially obstructed in my time on Crystal, what was the obstruction?

A couple of years ago they reclassifed some of the E1's to C's when they realised they weren't actually partially obstructed - but I think they were on Deck 8

Anne - I don't reall the C's being partially obstructed in my time on Crystal, what was the obstruction?

On the Serenity the C2's are listed as partially obstructed as the gangway is stowed out side of them, but I believe it is just above window height... I was sure I'd seem photos of them on Roy's site but don't see them now..

Anne...

On the Serenity the C2's are listed as partially obstructed as the gangway is stowed out side of them, but I believe it is just above window height...

Ah Serenity - I didn't pick up on that - I see they're described as "Deluxe Stateroom with Large Picture Window Slightly Limited View" - I don't recall them on Roys site but I know Keith has posted photos of the gangplank stowed showing the impact on the view - I'm sure he will post them again or link to them - here's one post with some photo's of the gangplank @ https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53324956&postcount=18

Edited by Bodogbodog
It took Keith 3 minutes to confirm he had photos and to post a link to them - as I said I was sure he would do so...

These are photos of the gangways on Serenity which I took a few months ago and previously posted on Cruise Critic. There is one gangway on each side side of the ship.

For those on Deck 8 in rooms directly above them or to each side you would see them if you walked out onto your Verandah. To me it's no big deal and that is why they call it a partial obstruction and it's a good deal to save money booking one of those rooms.

Likewise, the second photo I took standing outside a room on Deck 7 and looking forward. Mainly one would see from their room the views below the gangway. Again to me no big deal and since none of the deck 7 Serenity rooms don't have a verandah the best views are simply to walk outside onto the Deck 7 promenade deck which is a few steps from all the rooms to enjoy the views. Again, a good deal IMHO.

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

While I agree with everything posted above, I'll say a few things in defense of the category D rooms just as food for thought...

1) They aren't as far forward as some people tend to think -- they're still aft of the forward elevators. They're still arguably in a more stable position than many of the cabins in decks 7/8/9 that are forward of the forward elevators or aft of the aft elevators.

2) Along the same lines, their position low in the hull can be a better location than the higher decks.

3) If privacy and view are a concern, they do lack the heads bobbing by and any obstruction whatsoever of the Deck 7 and 8 rooms. They also lack the glazing on the windows that makes the Deck 7 rooms slightly dimmer than those on 5 or 8. That said, in port the view may be slightly more obstructed than on 7 or 8.

4) The window deadlight issue has a very real risk, but in my experience it's a pretty limited one -- they only use the deadlights when there is a real risk of the windows shattering in a storm. I think this one comes down to your tolerance for a limitation like that. Personally, it wouldn't even register on my radar. To others though, it's a much bigger deal.

Just my two cents...

Vince

Vince, excellent thoughts on this.

I too think that the location of them relative to a number of rooms on other decks are fine in rough seas. Part of this is offset by being on a lower deck.

As mentioned earlier some people do like their convenience to Waterside, Crystal Cove/Plaza.

Keith

The C2 cabins on Serenity are on the Main Serenity tab, not a subtab:

https://limitedviewcabins.wordpress.com/serenity/

I don't have any pictures from inside any of these cabins yet but will be in 7065 starting January 5. Before fixing the limited view site I will surely have a picture on my blog for the trip

Correction: There are a couple of interior photos at the bottom of the Serenity page including the one that will be mine.

http://morethangetaways.wordpress.com

Since the Symphony D cabins are full view there are no pictures of them on my site.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

The C2 cabins on Serenity are on the Main Serenity tab, not a subtab:

https://limitedviewcabins.wordpress.com/serenity/

I don't have any pictures from inside any of these cabins yet but will be in 7065 starting January 5. Before fixing the limited view site I will surely have a picture on my blog for the trip

Correction: There are a couple of interior photos at the bottom of the Serenity page including the one that will be mine.

http://morethangetaways.wordpress.com

Since the Symphony D cabins are full view there are no pictures of them on my site.

Roy

Thank you very much Roy, I was sure I'd seen them before but couldn't locate them earlier...

Anne..

In addition quick and easy access to the outside Promenade, another thing that I really like about the Deck 7 cabins is that their windows typically get washed daily by the maintenance crew. The crew does not have easy access tthe Deck 5 and 8 cabins, so those cabins typically only get washed on turnaround days. The windows in Waterside are likely representative of the state of the windows on Deck 5 cabins, and they can get very grimy due to salt spray on sailings with heavy seas.

Shift in topic, but I am sure there is a thread someone more studious than myself can refer me too. Not fond of starting a gazillion threads. Can one no longer book directly ie perform a dummy booking through the Crystal Cruises website? I like to do some leg work before I blow up the travel agent’s inbox. I presume D category is more expensive than E. I am logged into my account on the legacy site. Where to now?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There used to be but removing it was an added “enhancement” of the new state of the ark website

In reality if it’s now showing “Call for Availability” then it is probably available - so add the price list less Crystal Society discount and add the Port Charges which are listed at the bottom of the page and you’ve got your price

As for specific cabin availability - that’s never been available (or certainly not for several years anyway) - you used to be able to see the cabin allocated to the dummy booking but not the range to choose from

In addition quick and easy access to the outside Promenade, another thing that I really like about the Deck 7 cabins is that their windows typically get washed daily by the maintenance crew. The crew does not have easy access tthe Deck 5 and 8 cabins, so those cabins typically only get washed on turnaround days. The windows in Waterside are likely representative of the state of the windows on Deck 5 cabins, and they can get very grimy due to salt spray on sailings with heavy seas.

I think this is an important consideration and is a real advantage of deck 7 cabins (if one is not going the verandah route). I hate the windows that become opaque as a result of sea spray and the limited opportunities for washing.

I have been in E1 on the 7th deck once and I thought it was quite good, because lifeboat made a shadow to the room. I checked from the drawings following: Regardless of lifeboats (lifeboat or tender boat) their keel line are just above upper edge of the window. So the view from the room is unobscured to the deck and to the sea. It is limited only upwards. Then the lower edge of the window is 1,8 m (6 ft) from the promenade deck. So one must be a tall person - tall basket player perhaps - if he sees inside to the room from promenade deck.

And as others have said that there are also short way to the promenade deck and practically all E1's are closer to midship meaning less movement than on C1/C2-rooms on 7th deck (yeah, except few between E1's). Even though cruise guests on Crystal are "well-travelled" and "well-behaving" I am still little suspicious that corridors on 7th deck are more peaceful than on 5th deck, because that corridor is 'passing-thru-corridor'.

I think this is an important consideration and is a real advantage of deck 7 cabins (if one is not going the verandah route). I hate the windows that become opaque as a result of sea spray and the limited opportunities for washing.

Deck 8, too... 85% of the time I've been on Deck 8 in a window cabin, and they've almost always washed my windows while they were doing the deck 7 ones underneath. Between the overhang and the equipment though, they do tend to get less dirty than those on Deck 5 and parts of Deck 7 to begin with, plus it's a true point that the Deck 5 windows don't get washed while at sea.

Vince

I like the E1 cabins mostly because of the location. I liked those better than C3. I have a friend who is a very frequent Crystal Cruiser who likes the D cabins because of the location and fewer stairs. Some people like chocolate others like vanilla. But I don't spend a lot of time in my cabin other to sleep and change clothes so my cabin assignment is not critical to my happiness. I will be in an A2 cabin in August so I will have another experience to compare.

We have just disembarked in Cape Town from Symphony. This was our first cruise and I desperately wanted a verandah but booked just too late. We went on a wait list but with no luck. When we finally boarded we were allocated D5021. Two days later we were finally offered an upgrade to a stateroom on deck 9. In the meantime we began to experience some choppy weather. My husband is not a good sailor and by this time we had realised how much more movement there was on Decks 8/9. We decided to stay put and it was a good decision. We found the statement was very well positioned as it was very close to the main dining room, bar, bistro and the Galaxy Theatre. Traffic in the corridor outside was not a problem, I really liked the fact that our view was so good as we were so close to the sea, as has previously been noted, the same view as from Waterside. The window was cleaned at our first stop in Reunion when we were moored dockside. This morning the windows were as you would expect from 10 days at sea but in my opinion our view was in no way impaired. The staterooms are a bit dated but they were clean and well looked after by the attendant. The food was absolutely superb, we could not fault it . There was absolutely no problem with open dining at all, including the black tie nights, whatever time we dined although we did not eat before 7. Waterside was very quiet for breakfast with most people choosing the buffer breakfast on Deck 11. We did both. We loved cocktails early evening in Palm Court. I believe the ship has 800 plus on board but we never found anything to be busy or crowded. Will try and upload a photo.

We have just disembarked in Cape Town from Symphony. This was our first cruise and I desperately wanted a verandah but booked just too late. We went on a wait list but with no luck. When we finally boarded we were allocated D5021. Two days later we were finally offered an upgrade to a stateroom on deck 9. In the meantime we began to experience some choppy weather. My husband is not a good sailor and by this time we had realised how much more movement there was on Decks 8/9. We decided to stay put and it was a good decision. We found the statement was very well positioned as it was very close to the main dining room, bar, bistro and the Galaxy Theatre. Traffic in the corridor outside was not a problem, I really liked the fact that our view was so good as we were so close to the sea, as has previously been noted, the same view as from Waterside. The window was cleaned at our first stop in Reunion when we were moored dockside. This morning the windows were as you would expect from 10 days at sea but in my opinion our view was in no way impaired. The staterooms are a bit dated but they were clean and well looked after by the attendant. The food was absolutely superb, we could not fault it . There was absolutely no problem with open dining at all, including the black tie nights, whatever time we dined although we did not eat before 7. Waterside was very quiet for breakfast with most people choosing the buffer breakfast on Deck 11. We did both. We loved cocktails early evening in Palm Court. I believe the ship has 800 plus on board but we never found anything to be busy or crowded. Will try and upload a photo.

Thx for stopping by with this nice review of your cruise. You certainly happened to be well-positioned to answer the OP re the cabins on deck 5! I like that, besides enjoying all the venues near you on decks 5 and 6, you also went up to Palm Court each evening.

I was recently on the Symphony in a cabin on deck 5 (5022). It was our second cruise in a cabin on deck 5. These cabins are very nice. They have large windows and don't have "deadlights" that cover the window. The foot traffic on the port side is minimal and the only time we noticed any noise was when there was a Dixeland band in the Lobby. The cabins are very convenient to the Crystal Cove and dining room. It can be a bit of a hassle to do laundry as the closest laundry is up on deck 8. I would have no hesitation booking one of these cabins

Heartfelt thanks to all of my fellow Cruise Critic members for providing so much info on the Deck 5 staterooms. The potential of sea spray all over the windows never occurred to me, but a few of the itineraries being considered are rather port intensive so that should not be a huge deal breaker. Not planning on spending much time in the stateroom. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums