Microwave Oven Access

2 Rookie Cruisers

Do guests have access to a microwave oven? My girl has rheumatoid arthritis and she uses a heating pad. We were told that those aren't allowed because they pose a fire hazard. I suggested one of those gel packs that you can heat up in the microwave to soothe her aching joints. But I'm not sure if there would be a microwave we could use to heat them up.

Thoughts?

Do guests have access to a microwave oven? My girl has rheumatoid arthritis and she uses a heating pad. We were told that those aren't allowed because they pose a fire hazard. I suggested one of those gel packs that you can heat up in the microwave to soothe her aching joints. But I'm not sure if there would be a microwave we could use to heat them up.

Thoughts?

May depend on the cruise line, probably best to ask on the dedicated cruise line forum.

I know on Royal Caribbean, there's no guest access to microwave ovens.

Thoughts?

There are all sorts of instant heat packs available OTC. Just bring a stock with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

concur - the chemical packs work great ... Thermacare is the brand name one you'll see

but the CVS ones are just as good and cost less. Take em out of the box (each is sealed in a bag) and they take up very little packing space OR if arriving day b4 and drug store or large grocery will have

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-heatwraps-back-hip-prodid-1012091?skuId=259349

• Like 2

We have cruised on 14 lines and can say that microwaves are generally not available except in a few of the largest (and very expensive) suites. The chemical heat packs (available in any drug store) do work quite well and actually stay warm for a longer period of time than the microwave packs. When I had a painful back muscle problem I would take Thermocare Packs everywhere to have when needed.

Hank

I solved that problem myself by getting an old fashioned hot water bottle (Amazon). Easy to pack, cheap & re-usable, works for hot or cold. Just fill it with ice or hot tap water or, if that's not hot enough, order a carafe of boiling water from room service to mix in with the tap water.

• Like 1

I solved that problem myself by getting an old fashioned hot water bottle (Amazon). Easy to pack, cheap & re-usable, works for hot or cold. Just fill it with ice or hot tap water or, if that's not hot enough, order a carafe of boiling water from room service to mix in with the tap water.

We wrap ours up in an old pillowcase at home.

That's what I use too. I take along a scarf or kerchief that I can wrap around it to moderate the heat (or cold) a bit and use to hold it in place on a knee, ankle or whatever.

Don't most modern ships have kettles in the cabins nowadays? The older ones (pre 1990, perhaps) don't because of dodgy power supply, but I'd expect the newer ones to have them. Or to let you take your own.

Don't most modern ships have kettles in the cabins nowadays? The older ones (pre 1990, perhaps) don't because of dodgy power supply, but I'd expect the newer ones to have them. Or to let you take your own.

Actually, that would be the exception on this side of the pond. A line will occasionally add them to one of their ships when it goes to Europe/UK for the summer season. EM

No. Only ones I've read about are ships on the European circuit may have them, as well as the Australian cruises.

I've found the chemical packs to stay hot WAY longer than a hot water bottle or micro-pad ..... can't compete with an electric pad of course

but I saved a trip to Universal with some chem packs when I tweeked my back a few years ago. One chem pack lasted 6 hours or more and was WELCOME relief!!!! There is even a warning about sleeping with them as they can be hot enuf to burn .....

Maybe on itineraries that cater to Brits.

I don't think any cruise lines allow you to take a kettle on board. Fire danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too have RA & use a heating pad. I got one earlier this year (on Amazon) the has an automatic off feature after 15 minutes. I took it on Princess with no issues. (Also took a heavy duty ext. cord.)

Cruise lines fear the pad being left on or the passenger falling asleep with it on & thus being a fire hazard or burning the person.

I don’t know how well it would work for RA but Salonpas spray works wonderfully on old age arthritis [emoji16]. We took it on our river cruise and it was a foot and knee saver. I don’t know what’s in that stuff, but we always have it close by and it lasts for a surprisingly long time. They have other products but we find the spray most effective.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May I suggest a completely different solution?

USB heating pads like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphene-Electric-Temperature-Portable-Lightweight/dp/B077JPY5LY/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1514059204&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+heating+pad

I had very bad eye pains possibly linked to migraines and bought a USB heating eye mask. Its still used at home more than anything else. No mess, stays on as long as you want and produces a good heat.

Our ship had a refit so had USB ports near the bed but you could easily use plugs/laptops then the USB etc.