Has anyone missed a port call in Bora Bora ?

We are booked on the Eurodam March 2019 cruise, 28 days RT San Diego, that calls at Bora Bora for an overnight stay. We have always wanted to experience the overwater bungalows and we have been looking into rates. We want to spend our overnight in Bora Bora in one of the 5-star hotels. HAL offers a tour like this but their rates for the package are horrible. We want to do a DIY, for this, but there is a huge difference in rates for a non-refundable price vs. a regular rate that you can cancel with a few days notice. We have never cruised to the South Pacific before, has anyone experienced bad weather or some other problem that would cause the Eurodam to cancel the port call at Bora Bora ? It is a tender port.

We know if we book the HAL tour, we would be covered if they cancel. We would be SOL if we did a DIY tour with a non-refundable rate.

We are booked on the Eurodam March 2019 cruise, 28 days RT San Diego, that calls at Bora Bora for an overnight stay. We have always wanted to experience the overwater bungalows and we have been looking into rates. We want to spend our overnight in Bora Bora in one of the 5-star hotels. HAL offers a tour like this but their rates for the package are horrible. We want to do a DIY, for this, but there is a huge difference in rates for a non-refundable price vs. a regular rate that you can cancel with a few days notice. We have never cruised to the South Pacific before, has anyone experienced bad weather or some other problem that would cause the Eurodam to cancel the port call at Bora Bora ? It is a tender port.

We know if we book the HAL tour, we would be covered if they cancel. We would be SOL if we did a DIY tour with a non-refundable rate.

We were on the Hawaii, Marquesas & Tahiti tour in 2016 and hit the worst weather they have had in 50 years. (Yeah, call me lucky ;) ).

We missed several key ports and had an itinerary change to stock up on provisions but the one thing we didn't miss despite the numerous missed ports was Bora Bora.

We were on a tour (private) with Frankie Frank (i think my memory is good) and saw those overnight spots.

You will have a blast there.

I think, just based on our cruise, that you would be safe. We managed and trust me we had horrific weather. Unheard of.

There are risks with private bookings which you need to balance out with paying the higher price with the ship. (We did a private tour in Bora Bora and it was FANTASTIC)

It's only a decision that you can make, but, if we could do it in the awful weather we had (we were on a Vista ship - the Westerdam) then I would think that the odds should be slim that you don't get there. Wait for others but those are my thoughts based on my experiences.

We were on the Hawaii, Marquesas & Tahiti tour in 2016 and hit the worst weather they have had in 50 years. (Yeah, call me lucky ;) ).

We missed several key ports and had an itinerary change to stock up on provisions but the one thing we didn't miss despite the numerous missed ports was Bora Bora.

We were on a tour (private) with Frankie Frank (i think my memory is good) and saw those overnight spots.

You will have a blast there.

I think, just based on our cruise, that you would be safe. We managed and trust me we had horrific weather. Unheard of.

There are risks with private bookings which you need to balance out with paying the higher price with the ship. (We did a private tour in Bora Bora and it was FANTASTIC)

It's only a decision that you can make, but, if we could do it in the awful weather we had (we were on a Vista ship - the Westerdam) then I would think that the odds should be slim that you don't get there. Wait for others but those are my thoughts based on my experiences.

Frankie Franck is in Moorea.

Frankie Franck is in Moorea.

Yes, wrong guide in the wrong port, apologies. Sorry, if I mixed up my names. :o

We were with the famous Patrick in Bora, Bora of course.

You must really like my posts as you seldom fail to reply to them :eek: ;)

But just the same, our weather, ports, etc. Stand as posted.

Edited by kazu

We are on the same cruise with you in March 2019. Been to Bora Bora three times and never missed this port. The ship anchors in a lagoon that is protected from the main island and surrounding Motu. It would have to be extreme weather for the ship to miss this port.

We've done that itinerary twice, and luckily did not miss Bora Bora either time.

We did miss Moorea last time, due to heavy rain & wind that made it unsafe to attempt tendering. The same thing can easily happen with Bora Bora, though; you can't count on weather always cooperating with the port schedule.

Thanks for all the comments. Because Bora Bora is in a protected lagoon, there would have to be some pretty nasty weather to cause a port cancellation. Plus, we are scheduled to be there for an overnight, which makes it more difficult for the cruise line to come up with an alternative. I think we will be OK, but we will, as always, purchase travel insurance which will cover us if we do lose our hotel deposit on the overwater bungalow due to a missed port.

Check travel insurance policies. We use one that covers missed connections.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have done have exactly what you are suggesting on both of my French Polynesian cruises. The first time in Bora Bora at the Four Seasons and this last time we got off in Papeete and took the ferry to Moorea to stay overnight at the Intercontinental. Both experiences were amazing! I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Further to the 2016 Westerdam Cruise - the Captain and HAL treated us very nicely because of missed ports, itinerary change and bad weather - $100 pp OBC, 15% of the cost of that cruise towards another one and wine/champagne when we missed the ports. It was nonetheless a memorable cruise!

Further to the 2016 Westerdam Cruise - the Captain and HAL treated us very nicely because of missed ports, itinerary change and bad weather - $100 pp OBC, 15% of the cost of that cruise towards another one and wine/champagne when we missed the ports. It was nonetheless a memorable cruise!

Was one of the ports you missed (and were compensated for) actually Bora Bora ? Because Bora Bora is a tender port, high winds and sea swells can make tender operations hazardous. Other people say they have missed ports in French Polynesia, but not specifically Bora Bora. Because it appears to be an extremely rare occurrence, I will probably book my over water bungalow night away from the ship and take the nonrefundable price. If something does happen and the Eurodam does miss Bora Bora, then my travel insurance will reimburse me.

Thanks for all of the input !!

Just did some research on this issue since I just booked this cruise. Checked out one of hotels on line in Bora Bora. Stated that they had bad storms in Jan/Feb 2017 and overwater rooms were damaged and currently being repaired. Hope this helps