Shorts in dining room 1st night

tommy

I got the impression that some people think the late-luggage potential means that shorts on the first night is ok for everyone. I don't think there would be nearly as much debate if there was agreement that this is an exception that only applies when the luggage is late.

).

The fact is that, once exceptions are made, it is proven that shorts on some people do not impact the dinners of others. Exceptions to rules prove the flexibility of those rules. Flexible rules are impossible to objectively enforce.

It is time to accept the reality: there is NO dress code - and very little expressed desire for there to be a dress code.

Are gang bangers a problem on HAL ships?

I know there are different embarkation ports; if in Alaska or a cold city in Europe, I'd be wearing pants or jeans. But if I board in Fort Lauderdale, I am wearing shorts and boat shoes.

You can wear a tutu with swim fins in the Lido. Whether you can't or won't abide by the MDR dress code, dumbed down as it has become, go to the Lido and enjoy your meal.

I guess we found the one that thinks if your luggage is late you should be denied what you paid for, am I reading this accurately?

For sure it started as an exception to the rule, but has become more of a 'defacto' trend (please no freaking out here) . Hence the discussion as to its general appropriateness on day 1 MDR.

You're right on about the sagging, that seems likes a gang-banger type of fashion thing that is comical to me, but it pretty common both in inner city, suburban and even rural America. I'd guess most people wouldn't want to see sagging long short pants with exposed Calvin Kleins in the first night MDR.

Give me the view of the CK boxers over a "commando" plumber any day!

I guess we found the one that thinks if your luggage is late you should be denied what you paid for, am I reading this accurately?
I was stirring up the mud a little, but in a word, yes. We often choose to eat at the Canaletto the first night if we traveled that day, because the jeans I travel in don't belong in the MDR, and I don't feel like changing. The point is, there are excellent alternatives that don't require exceptions to the rules. If I'm not mistaken, the Lido is also included in your fare so you'd have a casual dining alternative.

Could, but won't. I was a child model. I like wearing a sport coat but my wife hates it. I wouldn't board a ship wearing a sport jacket though. If my luggage didn't turn up neither would the coat.

.../

quote]

Funny - I always board a ship wearing a blazer -,a great way to have the option of wearing a jacket while on board without having to use up packing space; and a convenient way of having pockets for carrying cruise documents and other small stuff I travel with.

Does it occur to you that, if there were a dress code which did not permit shorts in the MDR, that your wearing shorts (regardless of your reason) would be effectively denying other passengers what they had paid for: dinner in a dining too with such a dress code?

So 246 posts into this thread, has anyone been successful at changing anyone else's mind on this subject?

Of course, I'm only referring to the opinions expressed, not the actual fact of whether or not HAL allows shorts on night 1.

Are gang bangers a problem on HAL ships?

I know there are different embarkation ports; if in Alaska or a cold city in Europe, I'd be wearing pants or jeans. But if I board in Fort Lauderdale, I am wearing shorts and boat shoes.

I only observed sagging one time on a HAL cruise. It was serious sagging (quite low), but that part of my post was attempted humor. I doubt that there will ever be any real gang interest in cruising. Any sagging on board would likely be just a sad fashion statement (i.e., not indicative of jail time).

Does it occur to you that, if there were a dress code which did not permit shorts in the MDR, that your wearing shorts (regardless of your reason) would be effectively denying other passengers what they had paid for: dinner in a dining too with such a dress code?

Yes it has. You cannot go Naked either.

Have you paid for a "shorts" or "jeans" free meal?

No, I have not - because I realize that there really is NO dress code - because of so many exceptions. But a passenger who paid his fare believing, from promotional materials, that there was a ban on shorts in the MDR would have paid for a shorts free meal.

So 246 posts into this thread, has anyone been successful at changing anyone else's mind on this subject?

Of course, I'm only referring to the opinions expressed, not the actual fact of whether or not HAL allows shorts on night 1.

Wait a minute. Your post is # 237 for me. *blink*

Yes, actually Navybankerteacher has swayed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums