Escape Info/Tips

bbryan5

Thanks for starting this thread! We’ll be on the Escape in May for our sons wedding in Bermuda. We’ve never done NCL before and have no idea how they do things compared to Royal. I’m getting some great tips from this thread.

One question I have is, how does evening dining work? On RCL we always had early dining at the same time in the same dining room at the same table every night. Does NCL do the same thing, or will be dining in different locations each night? If in different locations, do we have to make reservations? I kind of take charge of all precruise planning and am trying to be as prepared as possible! Thanks in advance!

Thanks for starting this thread! We’ll be on the Escape in May for our sons wedding in Bermuda. We’ve never done NCL before and have no idea how they do things compared to Royal. I’m getting some great tips from this thread.

One question I have is, how does evening dining work? On RCL we always had early dining at the same time in the same dining room at the same table every night. Does NCL do the same thing, or will be dining in different locations each night? If in different locations, do we have to make reservations? I kind of take charge of all precruise planning and am trying to be as prepared as possible! Thanks in advance!

it's freestyle dining. You can eat where and when you want.

No need to book but if you want to dine at a busy time, it's best.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870 en utilisant Tapatalk

NCL has Freestyle dining. You don't have a certain time for dining. So you don't really have a set table or server. You can have dinner at 6Pm or 7PM or whenever you feel like it. Some people like the freestyle dining where you can eat when you want and some people like having a set time/table/server. I have eaten at the same restaurant and asked for a certain server and was able to get if it wasn't too busy.

As for speciality dining they are by reservations. They cost extra unless you have the dining package.

I hope this helps. I am not an expert on the speciality dining as we don't use it often for our cruises.

BY THE WAY I am a huge Tiger Fan! Just got back from the Sugar Bowl! Disappointing but we will return! :) Go Tigers!

NCL has Freestyle dining. You don't have a certain time for dining. So you don't really have a set table or server. You can have dinner at 6Pm or 7PM or whenever you feel like it. Some people like the freestyle dining where you can eat when you want and some people like having a set time/table/server. I have eaten at the same restaurant and asked for a certain server and was able to get if it wasn't too busy.

As for speciality dining they are by reservations. They cost extra unless you have the dining package.

I hope this helps. I am not an expert on the speciality dining as we don't use it often for our cruises.

BY THE WAY I am a huge Tiger Fan! Just got back from the Sugar Bowl! Disappointing but we will return! :) Go Tigers!

Thanks for the info, it is very helpful!

The Sugar Bowl was rough for sure. We haven’t been dominated like that in a very long time! I can’t complain since I honestly wasn’t expecting to make it this far this year. With KB back with a year of experience, and a monstrous recruiting class, 2018 should be awesome! All In!

So we've been on a bunch of NCL cruises.. sailed the Jewel, Gem, Breakaway, and the Dawn. We will be aboard the Escape in May, and was just trying to get some info on it. I've been doing a lot of reading online, but I was looking for some insider tips.. I'd love to hear about your favorite restaurants, shows, common areas, bar tenders, meals, etc.. If you'd care to share any tips, tricks, or secrets about the Escape, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Any wine drinkers in your bunch? Restaurant menus have very limited selection - not what I'd drink or serve at home. Finally we started going to Cellars and getting a double pour of something fabulous and taking that to dinner! Cost a few bucks for the difference of cost over $15 but soooo worth it to have a great wine with an equally great meal. Enjoy! We loved sailing her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re also sailing Escape for the first time in June. Actually only have one other NCL cruise about 10 years ago so excited or the experience!

Lots of great information so far (thank you all) but have a few questions:

• We have the 3 meal dining package, can we use it for lunch? If so which restaurants are open for lunch
  • We picked the dining package and ultimate beverage package as our 2 perks when we booked but I don’t see them mentioned when I look at my reservation on My NCL. Should I be able to see it?
  • Can dinner / lunch reservations be made in advance?
  • We are thinking of reserving a cabana in Vibe and buying a day pass for my mom who is traveling with us in a separate cabin. How many people fit under the cabana (room for 3?). Can I purchase in advance? If not whereon Escape do I go to purchase the Vibe when I board?

Thank you again for sharing your valuable experiences. So much more information on cruise critic than the cruseline’s website!

We’re also sailing Escape for the first time in June. Actually only have one other NCL cruise about 10 years ago so excited or the experience!

Lots of great information so far (thank you all) but have a few questions:

•  
  • We have the 3 meal dining package, can we use it for lunch? If so which restaurants are open for lunch

• We picked the dining package and ultimate beverage package as our 2 perks when we booked but I don’t see them mentioned when I look at my reservation on My NCL. Should I be able to see it?

• Can dinner / lunch reservations be made in advance?

• We are thinking of reserving a cabana in Vibe and buying a day pass for my mom who is traveling with us in a separate cabin. How many people fit under the cabana (room for 3?). Can I purchase in advance? If not whereon Escape do I go to purchase the Vibe when I board?

Thank you again for sharing your valuable experiences. So much more information on cruise critic than the cruseline’s website!

The restaurants at which you can use the dining plan for lunch are Margaritaville and Pinchos Tapas. Reservations are not taken for lunch, but they are certainly not necessary.

Dinner reservations can be made online 90 days before your cruise, or 100 days if you’re in a suite.

There are no cabanas in Vibe on Escape, nor are there day passes. You buy a pass for the entire week. You cannot buy a pass for another guest. The guest has to be there in person at the time of purchase. You go to Headliners on Escape for these passes. 70 total are sold.

Agree about the crepes - after getting one, I would go around the corner and get a scoop of ice cream on top!

You can make reservations on your room TV for the Supper Club for a few complementary dinner shows. We went to see the Flyboys and L.O.V.E. - same plated meal for both, but very enjoyable!

Definitely be part of the CC roll call and go to the meet and greet.

Any wine drinkers in your bunch? Restaurant menus have very limited selection - not what I'd drink or serve at home. Finally we started going to Cellars and getting a double pour of something fabulous and taking that to dinner! Cost a few bucks for the difference of cost over $15 but soooo worth it to have a great wine with an equally great meal. Enjoy! We loved sailing her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! We drink wine, so this is very helpful, thank you!!

Thank you so much. Not sure where I got the idea that there were cabanas in Vibe. Do you know if there is any covered seating in Vibe and can that specifically be reserved for the week?

There aren’t any covered seats in Vibe at all, other than the barstools at the bar. There are some umbrellas, but most the time it is windy and they cannot be used. And no specific seats in Vibe can be reserved.

Getaway and Breakaway have cabanas in Vibe, but Escape doesn’t.

In my experience, yes, you should see it. It's under the "vacation summary" tab, and you need to page down to see it. If you don't see it, talk to the person you booked with and ask for an amenities confirmation just to make sure all is okay.

Several tips: GET VIBE PASSES! So worth the extra $100. We got an earlier boarding pass so we could book it to get them...when you get on ship head to Headliners and purchase them - you will not be sorry. We really enjoyed the shows "The Brat Pack" and "After Midnight". You need to get tickets 60 days in advance as you will also need to do this for specialty dinner reservations. We really enjoyed Teppanyaki, Cagney's & the ala crate Sushi place (Food Republic). We went to Headliners comedy and enjoyed that as well. There are other fun stuff that happens in the main center of ship (Like Deal or No Deal, etc)...always something to do. We gambled too. It is smokey, but fun and you can actually win (not slots though). My husband won $2000 in the onboard lottery the first night - made the trip quite memorable and enjoyable. Also bring ones for tips - if you tip you will be treated like royalty - felt like norm on cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Several tips: GET VIBE PASSES! So worth the extra $100.

I always think about getting VIBE but then I "cheap out" because I remember that I don't like to sit down for more than 20 minutes, and would be thinking about all the stuff going on while I was sitting sunbathing.

Am I missing something really good? I know lots of people want to go up there?

I always think about getting VIBE but then I "cheap out" because I remember that I don't like to sit down for more than 20 minutes, and would be thinking about all the stuff going on while I was sitting sunbathing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s like the haven space. You have nice chairs, private with your own servers and a jacuzzi. They come by with fruit and cold towels and cucumber infused water. We like to veg and layout though so if that’s not your thing, then it’s probably not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got back (NY cruise) - our second time on the Escape (NY last year too). Overall, love the ship. Few "tips" from our perspective:

- Vibe: We got it and used it only once for 15 minutes. Weather wasn't great for sitting and lying in the sun. Check weather forecast before trying to go for it. ALSO - we were always able to find a spot outside to sit (deck 8 - waterfront - just not a "sun deck" which is fine by us)

- Bayamo: lovely, but really quite expensive (had the SD "package" but needing to pay +$15 and pay for our son's meal made it expensive). Value for money not there for me

- 5 o' clock somewhere: outside bar was great - Chocolate Cowboy is the bartender and he's AWESOME

- District Brewhouse was fun, but every time we went it was the same "kitchy" sing-a-long stuff and it got a little boring

- We didn't love Cellars - we were on the UDP and I thought there white wines by the glass were pretty much the same as everywhere else on the boat. I always found a decent glass of wine to have, but was a little disappointed that Cellars didn't have a more extensive "by the glass" menu

- not sure what room you're in, but we had the mini-suite large balcony on deck 8. Great room and great location. We had the Haven last year and were worried about really missing it and we didn't!

- Food Republic seriously is a must. It got busier as the week progressed - if you don't want to wait go the first or second night.

Have fun!!

It’s like the haven space. You have nice chairs, private with your own servers and a jacuzzi. They come by with fruit and cold towels and cucumber infused water. We like to veg and layout though so if that’s not your thing, then it’s probably not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like laying out too, but it seems kinda...lonely...

We just got back (NY cruise) - our second time on the Escape (NY last year too). Overall, love the ship. Few "tips" from our perspective:

- Vibe: We got it and used it only once for 15 minutes. Weather wasn't great for sitting and lying in the sun. Check weather forecast before trying to go for it. ALSO - we were always able to find a spot outside to sit (deck 8 - waterfront - just not a "sun deck" which is fine by us)

- Bayamo: lovely, but really quite expensive (had the SD "package" but needing to pay +$15 and pay for our son's meal made it expensive). Value for money not there for me

- 5 o' clock somewhere: outside bar was great - Chocolate Cowboy is the bartender and he's AWESOME

- District Brewhouse was fun, but every time we went it was the same "kitchy" sing-a-long stuff and it got a little boring

- We didn't love Cellars - we were on the UDP and I thought there white wines by the glass were pretty much the same as everywhere else on the boat. I always found a decent glass of wine to have, but was a little disappointed that Cellars didn't have a more extensive "by the glass" menu

- not sure what room you're in, but we had the mini-suite large balcony on deck 8. Great room and great location. We had the Haven last year and were worried about really missing it and we didn't!

- Food Republic seriously is a must. It got busier as the week progressed - if you don't want to wait go the first or second night.

Have fun!!

We are in the large balcony mini suite for our upcoming trip having sailed in the Haven last time and I was worried we might not enjoy as much. Happy to hear you did!

We had a couple of things thrown down on our deck (drink in a plastic glass and a cigarette butt) but honestly the size of it made up for that. An awesome balcony and we really didn't miss Haven that much.