mobility issues for dining rooms on Gem

janftica

Yes but I was told it only goes to one level and then there's another flight of stairs to the floor of the MDR.

As shof515 pointed out, there are ramps on either side. The dining room is totally accessible. I am disabled and have sailed the Gem many times.

There are 2 MDR on the Gem, the smaller & mid-ship Magneta and the Grand Pacifica, located Aft, both are on Deck 6. Grand Pacifica is accessed via Deck 7 AFT by elevators & walking down about a dozen+steps to the host/ess station, then another 10 or 15 steps down to the dining level. There is one AFT elevator that go directly down to Deck 6 for anyone with accessibility or mobility issues, using a walker/rollator or wheelchair or motorized scooter, etc. etc. If you look up the Gem's floor plan for Deck 6, the other 3 AFT elevators will go no lower than Deck 7.

The corridor with swinging doors lead out from either side of GP's entrance area, next to the stairs - out to the elevator & stairs on Deck 6. They are right next to the larger/wider door with the round windows that lead straight to/from the gallery - with railings that one can hold on to.

http://www.infocruceros.com/images/stories/barcos/NCL/Norwegian_Gem/grandpacific.jpg?modal=1

Magneta located midship is straight in & out, no stairs or ramps and 100% accessible friendly - it is always open for dinner services at supper time, but not necessary open for lunch & usually closed for breakfast. Both MDR served the same menu items & daily features - we find that services in the smaller Magneta to be sometimes a little faster, if you are in a hurry to catch a show afterward, etc. Depending on your stateroom, it might be easy to reach with less walking.

There are 4 aft elevators. Only one will go down to deck 6 for the Grand pacific. You just have to make sure you are in the proper elevator that goes to level 6. Its on of the 2 middle elevators but i can't remember which is was.

There are 4 aft elevators. Only one will go down to deck 6 for the Grand pacific. You just have to make sure you are in the proper elevator that goes to level 6. Its on of the 2 middle elevators but i can't remember which is was.

The one elevator that goes all the way down to 6 is the furthest starboard side. To be sure, just make sure the button panel has deck 6 on it...You are in the wrong one if it only goes to seven.

coka

The one elevator that goes all the way down to 6 is the furthest starboard side. To be sure, just make sure the button panel has deck 6 on it...You are in the wrong one if it only goes to seven.

coka

It was the same on the Dawn. But it was almost impossible to get the elevator to come that went to the sixth floor since there was only one that did so so I typically had to go to the seventh floor and then push the down button to go to the sixth floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I doubt you would find any modern cruise ship that would not have accessibility for physically challenged guests to the MDR's.

We just faced this on our cruise last month. Yes, as you say there is a elevator mainly for the use of physically challenged passengers. I can't remember if it was both dining rooms or just the one. We were on the Pearl which is a sister ship to the Gem.