Cruise Critic Community
rafinmd

World Cruise 4 with a Panama Canal Prelude

While I’ve sailed segments of Grand/World cruises on HAL, Cunard, and Crystal this will be my first full world cruise. I originally booked just the world cruise starting January 23 in Los Angeles but added the Panama Canal extension fairly soon after the option to board in Ft. Lauderdale was added.

With fire department commitments to start some tax work after the New Year I was not comfortable with boarding as early as January 3. I’m still a bit concerned about almost 4 months away from home but think I can manage it.

I never tire of the Panama Canal. This will be my 5th transit, and the first one not on the Crystal Symphony. I still have an additional 3 Panama Canal transits booked, Symphony on the way back to Ft. Lauderdale, Symphony again in August, and my first non-Crystal transit on the Prinsendam in early 2019.

I‘ve established a new blog for this voyage, one I hope to continue to use on major trips. For the last several years I’ve been using http://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com for routine trips and decided it was time to do the same for the big trips. I changed the name just a bit, opening up

http://morethangetaways.wordpress.com

to avoid a huge proliferation of blogs but having something different for those special trips.

Luggage Concierge has my biggest bag and it’s sitting in Charleston. They and Crystal both have promised that it will be loaded on the ship and ready for me in Ft. Lauderdale.

Just 6 more sleeps at home and one in Ft. Lauderdale and I’ll be on board.

Roy

Following along for sure and appreciate you enabling the emsil notifications on the blog

I always enjoy your blogs and definitely interested in the prelude as we will also be on v.8218 in August with you (first timers)

Looking forward to saying hi personally on LA-Sydney

I’m guessing you are catching a train down to FLL?

Bon Voyage

Jim & I look forward to meeting you onboard in LA on January 23. Happy New Year and safe travels to FLL.

Rob

Greetings from the Crystal Mozart on the Danube. Having s lovely dinner with Mark Farris tonight. He's looking forward to being on the Serenity for the first three segments of the World Cruise. :D:D:D

Patty

Roy, as always, I will enjoy your blog. We were booked on WC4 and looking forward to sharing it with you. However, the realities and challenges of such a long voyage convinced us to cancel more than a year ago. Instead, I will vicariously sail with you. Bon Voyage.

I can't wait for it to begin!

Smooth Sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have a fabulous trip Roy. Thank you for blogging. Smooth seas to you,

Ilene

Hi Roy.

Thanks for the link to the new blog. We will be boarding Serenity in Sydney through to Singapore. Are you staying on Serenity right through, or switching ships in Sydney.

Larry

Hi Roy.

Are you staying on Serenity right through, or switching ships in Sydney

WC 4 involves the swap from Serenity in Sydney - so only the first leg on Serenity - then onto Symphony

Roy,

I am so happy for you to be doing this exciting journey.

And, I am so happy for me, b/c I know already how much I will enjoy traveling with you vicariously.

Happy new year, bon voyage, and thank you for all your valuable contributions to the Cruise Critic community.

--May B Muriel

Safe travels Roy, and thanks as always for sharing your experiences and insights with us, both in words and pictures. It’s always greatly appreciated!

Vince

Love following your travels and reading your blog ( especially since I didn't have the patience or time to figure out Wordpress). Safe travels!

Nancy

As always, looking forward to your live reports, Roy.

One of the highlights of the cruise for me would be to be able to enjoy Mark Farris for 3 segments! He was on one of our Maasdam cruises a number of years ago. He is sensational!

Please say hello to him for me (he’s a FB friend).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a wonderful Voyage Roy,

I look forward to following your 2018 travels.

Philip

Sent from my iPad using Forums