Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

The shore activities are good - the first two stops after LA are not major ports with areas of interest but Viking made the best of it and brought in some locals to explain their vocations . I think Tahiti is very similar to Aruba. Beautiful but commercial.

The nightly entertainment is good - only limited to the size of the Star Theatre. The few acts where good , but we are not looking for any Broadway Acts on this cruise . The shows could be called entertaining. The show in Tahiti was sold out but a second one was scheduled and it was fantastic.

Just do yourself a favor and write the check - you will love the 1st Class 2019 WC

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

47c7e8c8c291a3b6e0b3edb66e267cf2.jpg2bf895cf337f20222f6f3f238e48a908.jpgcc759cd89ee467117d066a12a510c4b0.jpg50f62f6db75cd5c173b96b18df131949.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, Star Theatre. A new surprise today. We are supposed to all gather at the bow of the ship (different cabin deck people in different spaces forward) for a "Family photo" taken by drones while anchored in the Bora-Bora Lagoon! Now that's a first..... Bet it makes for a fantastic souvenir photo though. It must be true, it's in the daily paper. Hope it's not "fake news".;p:eek::cool:

Yes, Star Theatre. A new surprise today. We are supposed to all gather at the bow of the ship (different cabin deck people in different spaces forward) for a "Family photo" taken by drones while anchored in the Bora-Bora Lagoon! Now that's a first..... Bet it makes for a fantastic souvenir photo though. It must be true, it's in the daily paper. Hope it's not "fake news".;p:eek::cool:

What a neat idea! Look forward to seeing that - surely somebody will post that here. Thanks for the ongoing comments. Hmm. In Bora Bora. Meanwhile here in Alabama we’ve got snow and not expected to get above 32 degrees until Thursday. Soup’s on!

This is an excellent thread and vehicle for reporting on and keeping up with the 2017/18 WC. For those of us considering the 2019 WC can I ask a few questions?

1) How would you rate the sea days activities? What type of activities have been offered? I assume you have had a fair share of enrichment lectures and of course the afternoon bridge games, but any other type of action?

2) How would you rate the evening after dinner entertainment? Has Viking mixed guest entertainers with their on-board ensemble of singers and dancers (1,2 or 3 dance couples?). What type of guest entertainers have you had? Magicians, comedians, singers ( of course Heather is included and well appreciated).

3) How has the table service been in the main dining room in terms of time? Exceptional, adequate, or needs to improve? The staff on our Amazon cruise worked their tails off but IMHO just has too many tables to handle and so things sometimes dragged out.

4) Same question about service at lunch out on the open deck 7 aft of the buffet. We were often finished eating our meal before the beverages arrived or we had even seen a waiter to ask for something. It was a little better at the pool bar.

5) Later as time progresses it would be interesting to get an evaluation of the Chef's Table fixed menus. If I recall correctly, the more traditional include Venetian, Marco Polo, a Chinese one with Peking duck, and a few Nordic offerings. I understand Viking intends to bring aboard new chefs along the way to make new menus available.

Last, when any of you see Heather, could you ask her if she is scheduled for the 2019 WC, and if not, does she think viking will continue to follow the formula used on your cruise? It's very different I hope from what they follow for shorter 1-2 week voyages.

Many thanks for any input, and we'll continue to follow this thread and your comments with great interest as we approach final payment for the 2019 WC.

Hi Shoalwater. After re reading your post, I am probably not the best source for evening/entertainment info. We are of the early to bed, early to rise sort and after dinner (unless there is something very special) we take a tour of the deck and head to the cabin for reading or a movie. Have seen plenty of magicians/comedians/singers on cruise ships so maybe some others will chip in with opinions on the entertainment. Service, in the restaurant or anywhere else, has been exceptionally good for us. All have been friendly and efficient. No complaints at all in that area so far. We have been to the Chef's Table once so far. Prefer Manfredi's but there you go. So far no problem getting day of reservations anywhere we want. We had the Asian menu with the Peking Duck. PD is a favorite of ours and this is not at all like traditional Peking Duck. Having said that it was very good, just different. The wine pairings were a bit odd for Asian theme as there were German and Italian wines with Limoncello for after. Again good, just different. Will check in with Heather as to her plans for the 2019 WC. I see why everyone raves so much about her. She makes you feel like a special friend and manages to speak to just about everyone seemingly daily. A real organizer too. Everything she controls seems to come off right on time and run smoothly. As far as the 2019 WC so far, there are a few tweaks but mainly the same inclusions. Gone are the included medical service and the OBC, instead of amounts for different uses as on this trip, are given as a lump sum for use as you wish. The itinerary is very interesting with only a few repeats from this year. So far we are very happy with our decision to sail the Viking World Cruise. Time to go play in Bora-Bora....;p:cool:

Jim, it sounds fabulous. I loved Bora Bora. Trapper & I are following your adventures daily. We just left SD this past Saturday and are still suffering withdrawal. When I saw the football games broadcast in the lounge I thought of you. Enjoy!

Eaches, beautiful pix. I have not yet mastered the insertion of pictures to CC posts. Mine always show as thumbnails. What am I doing wrong? I just don't seem to get the "official" directions. BTW, DW Lois managed to find a necklace on Nuku Hiva that was "necessary". :eek: She can always find the good stuff. Good news is it only cost $2,500 PF ($25).:cool: A sea day today and bright and sunny. I need to avoid the sun some for a few days as I am a bit "crunchy". I second Eaches comments about the crew. Every single one we have been around has been excellent. Our cabin attendant is tops. Never had such a consistently clean cabin. She even cleans the balcony glass each day. We never have a spot on any glass or mirrors. Amazing considering the (one of us) slob that lives in the room. ;p;p

So about this necklace...what did she buy it with? Can you use a credit card at many places? Did you take 50 different currencies with you? The issue of money is just one on my list of things to think about for next year’s WC.

And I love those photos by Eaches of Bora Bora. Can’t wait.

Jim, it sounds fabulous. I loved Bora Bora. Trapper & I are following your adventures daily. We just left SD this past Saturday and are still suffering withdrawal. When I saw the football games broadcast in the lounge I thought of you. Enjoy!

Hi Zimmy,

Y'all were onboard with Michael & Jane, Gantt & Ted, right? Wish we had you all onboard here. :cool: Managed to escape Bora-Bora with no new pearls.........

Great pictures! Wasn’t that an awesome show! This cruise is living up to high expectations!

Great Show - next BIG SHOW IS GOING TO BE THE

SUPER BOWL AND VIKING IS GOING TO SHOW IT TO US - LIVE . How wonderful is that - somewhere around New Zealand , hopefully on a sea day , we’ll be watching the Super Bowl. How GREAT is that!

A nice lazy sea day after the heat and humidity being out and about in Bora-Bora. The sea is a bit bumpy today but the ship rides nicely. The motion has a dual effect on me, makes me sleepy and hungry. So the day alternates between naps and snacks. A rather civilized way to cover miles. Beats any airplane I ever saw. Did manage to make a few dinner reservations with pals and read a bit. Got to get ready for Rarotonga. :cool:

It was a fun day. I have an amazingly identical shot. We were on the deck forward of Explorer's. Note the drone in the picture which was taking a crew picture. That afternoon they had us all out on the forward decks for our very own "Family Photo" taken by the same drone. A picture perfect day in Bora-Bora with plenty of breeze to keep you from melting.;p:cool:

There are not enough superlatives to describe the wonders of this journey. The waters of Bora Bora can not be captured on film....one must be here to appreciate! The sun is intense and there are a few lobsters about and I do not mean those in tonight’s wonderful lobster, scallop, bok cho linguini.

There are not enough superlatives to describe the wonders of this journey. The waters of Bora Bora can not be captured on film....one must be here to appreciate! The sun is intense and there are a few lobsters about and I do not mean those in tonight’s wonderful lobster, scallop, bok cho linguini.

Apologies if I have this wrong but....I think you did the Mont St Michel tour with us in 2015 on Azamara ??/

We are loving reading all the comments on this thread and can see you are having a wonderful, amazing cruise.

Continue to enjoy......wish we could be with you.

Joyce

It was a fun day. I have an amazingly identical shot. We were on the deck forward of Explorer's. Note the drone in the picture which was taking a crew picture. That afternoon they had us all out on the forward decks for our very own "Family Photo" taken by the same drone. A picture perfect day in Bora-Bora with plenty of breeze to keep you from melting.;p:cool:

How unique and it has all the earmarks of a Heather idea. A very creative CD.

Today Wes a first for this cruise as we had to skip Raoratonga due to sea conditions. We are comfortable on the ship but the swells were too much for safe tendering. Raoratonga has no protective lagoon. I am sure it will not be the last “tweak” to the schedule for weather, mechanical problems, or political strife in this complex world itinerary. Travelers need to be flexible or stay home.🎉🍸😎