Why did you decide to retire when you did?

Life is short.  I’ve given my notice and will retire next month after 35+ years,  four years earlier than anticipated.  

Couldn't be  happier!!  

Several of my friends have abruptly retired this past year.  We are all in our mid 50s.  This pandemic has really worn on people and given us a lot of time to ponder what is really important in life   

I don’t think a lot of us signed up for remote work.  It has redefined the way we work and how we think about work.  I still love my job but am happy to move on to bigger ventures.  

On 1/3/2021 at 1:24 PM, Lois R said:

Glad you are ok!  Funny, I was on a cruise when I knew my fate as well!🙂  I was on a River Cruise in Italy.

I was chatting with a really nice couple and that lightbulb went off----that was OCT

2019.......when I arrived home after the cruise I gave my boss my notice and 2 months later

I retired!  Dec 31st, 2019 was my last day!

Congratulations, Lois!

Hope you’ve been well.

I haven’t been on CC. Much lately. 

I’m retiring in March. Health is more important.  

Take care,

DN 

9 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

Congratulations, Lois!

Hope you’ve been well.

I haven’t been on CC. Much lately. 

I’m retiring in March. Health is more important.  

Take care,

DN 

Hi Stranger😃..2020 was quite the year for all of us.  I am well now, thanks. I had quite a year

too.......not Covid (thankfully) but I was in the hospital 3 different times😧.......hoping 2021

will bring me NO hospitals.........

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement too!👍

On 2/7/2021 at 6:19 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Stranger😃..2020 was quite the year for all of us.  I am well now, thanks. I had quite a year

too.......not Covid (thankfully) but I was in the hospital 3 different times😧.......hoping 2021

will bring me NO hospitals.........

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement too!👍

Lois, 

sorry to hear about your hospitalizations.  Covid paid a visit to our house recently, but I never caught it. Such a peculiar virus.  

Hope you are on the mend.  Here’s to 2022 and cruising again! 

Hi Thread,

Got laid off on 1/4/2021 after 29+ years, I wish I could have booked a cruise and just sailed away that first month. Working on getting vaccines now, getting $ in order and we just booked a cruise with no flights in September. I sure hope all of the ships start sailing soon and are healthy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a nurse practitioner and after 2020, pretty burnt out.  Planning to retire just shy of age 62 on 12/31/2021 - it's even a Friday.  Had COVID last March (almost a year ago already) and got my 2 vaccines so I'm ready for travel.  I may decide to do telehealth or concierge work to supplement my SS, pension & 401Ks, but then again maybe not.  My retiree friends and I have done the math on taking SS early and the idea that you get more money by waiting isn't technically true; it's just paid out in smaller installments over a longer period of time, and tomorrow isn't guaranteed, so I'll take my money now, TYVM.  Lost too many friends to COVID over the past year.  Time to live.  

My husband and I both retired at 60. He was still working 2nd shift(not by choice) and that is very difficult on your health. I had a stressful job and was ready to hang it up. Our son and wife had moved 900 miles away and we followed them. Now we babysit our grandson and travel whenever we can.

I agree with taking SS at 62. Take it now while it's still here and enjoy life! Luckily we both had pensions and 401Ks so our financial adviser agreed that we should "Go for it!"

I retired at 59, as soon as I had enough time in to qualify for retiree healthcare from my employer.   It's a benefit few enjoy these days, so I'm grateful.  First retirement trip was on the Celebrity Edge.  Then we did Grand Canyon, then a Trans Pacific and a flight to Bora Bora.  Corona hit just as we were returning from the Dominican.  Thank goodness we got in what we did.  We're doing national parks until we can cruise again.

I made the decision to retire at 55 based on several issues. We had earned enough money to feel somewhat secure, and spent a lot of years living below our means - not in poverty by any stretch of the imagination, but comfortable and not excessive. How much is enough to retire on? Who knows, but we looked at assets and liabilities and figured what we had was enough. My family's health patterns are a toxic waste dump, meaning I have no idea how long I'll hang around. Sure, no one does, but average death/stroke/heart failure age in my family is low 50s. But the biggest issue for me was working full-time and watching my hard-earned money delivered in a constant flow to those that refused to work. I was putting over $60k/year in taxes into the government with nothing to show for it. I was watching and learning that the work ethic was disappearing and I didn't want to finance that decline.

It's worse now, and we're still comfortable, so I guess we made the right decision...

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a twist, same situation as costalpleasures, retired 14 months ago, just at Covid started to set in.  I am really stuck in a rut, cant travel, vaccines so far away for us, cant cross the US border to get to my RV.  So I got a call from my old boss, offered an auxiliary position, working alone, and not having to deal with any of the toxic people I used to supervise.  Its supposed to be a summer gig, but honestly it could go indefinitely if I wanted it to.  I am seriously thinking of doing the double dip, won't change anything to my pension.  I would like to bolster investments, DW wants more cruises.  Don't know if I'm making the right choice.

1 hour ago, lobsternight said:

So here is a twist, same situation as costalpleasures, retired 14 months ago, just at Covid started to set in.  I am really stuck in a rut, cant travel, vaccines so far away for us, cant cross the US border to get to my RV.  So I got a call from my old boss, offered an auxiliary position, working alone, and not having to deal with any of the toxic people I used to supervise.  Its supposed to be a summer gig, but honestly it could go indefinitely if I wanted it to.  I am seriously thinking of doing the double dip, won't change anything to my pension.  I would like to bolster investments, DW wants more cruises.  Don't know if I'm making the right choice.

It sounds like it might be worth a try. If you aren't happy doing it, resign. What are they gonna do, fire you?

Best of luck finding what works for you and DW.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 8:41 PM, 4cats4me said:

Life is short.  I’ve given my notice and will retire next month after 35+ years,  four years earlier than anticipated.  

Couldn't be  happier!!  

Several of my friends have abruptly retired this past year.  We are all in our mid 50s.  This pandemic has really worn on people and given us a lot of time to ponder what is really important in life   

I don’t think a lot of us signed up for remote work.  It has redefined the way we work and how we think about work.  I still love my job but am happy to move on to bigger ventures.  

First off, congrats on retirement.  Kathy is excited about it too and as usual talks about it.   Wanted to let you know we just booked for August 2022 on the enchanted from Copenhagen to New York for 26 days.  Just excited about booking it as it will give us something to look forward.  Then we can once again be two ships passing in the night. lol  Take care and if you let me know you are up here for lunch with Kathy, I would love to join ya.