pudzzy44

Anyone just came back from Eastern Caribbean? question on donating after hurricane ,

We are traveled with a box of donated school & medical supplies Getting on Dawn princess Jan 20 to Antigua, Jan 23 ,,St Maartin ,Jan 24 ,,,St Thomas Jan 25 & Amber cove Jan 26 ,We need to find schools or hospital to donate the supplies to .With one day in each port we dont want to drag a box off the ship at every port and go looking ,, Anyone traveled here lately that can help with where its needed most ..PLEASE Or where to leave the box ,,Never donated from a cruise ship before.. Usually its Mexico or Cuba straight flight,

Suggest you contact the cruise line for any means, if any, to effect your donation thru them. In donation efforts on previous calamities, there were some who found facilities in carrying it out. Some were unable due to certain restriction guideline by either cruise line or port authorities. JMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand what you are trying to do but have read of cruisers who have tried to do this and the goods were impounded by customs (my guess distributed to the less than needy)

In trying to find more info for you I came across this article

old but I think still relevant. Basically it suggests you would

have been doing more good by collecting money and donating to

the Red Cross Canada ?

http://blogs.redcross.org.uk/emergencies/2010/01/help-not-hinder-haiti/

I also found this site

https://www.packforapurpose.org/destinations/

which whilst atuned to what you want when you get to the caribbean section it says

Helping the Islands in the Path of Irma & Maria Recover

Hurricanes Irma and Maria have devastated many, but not all of the islands in the Caribbean.

Pack for a Purpose is not a relief organization. In the face of this destruction we would like to encourage visitors to our website who have enjoyed these islands in the past and hope to do so again in the future to select a qualified relief organization and donate to to the recovery for the people of these islands.

We will update their needs list on our website if requested to when we receive new information from our participants.

With so many devastating forces of nature confronting so many people at this time, it can seem overwhelming. We trust that the generosity of PfaP travelers will continue and that people will do what they are able to do to assist those in need.

Which echoes the Red Cross article.

As easyboy says maybe Princess has a way to help you- hope so.

Got this on another posting.. TOO bad not every one knows this Pudzzy44, boy are you in luck! Turns out the cruise you are on is also one of the Fathom cruises; all you need to do onboard is take your supplies to one of the facilitators who will be happy to accept your donation. It will be distributed along with the other donated supplies from the Fathom group members in St. Thomas. You can find the facilitators if take the supplies to the first group meeting at 5 pm in Club Fusion on Saturday the 20th. https://www.fathom.org/caribbean-effort

HEARD THIS ...Turns out the cruise you are on is also one of the Fathom cruises; all you need to do onboard is take your supplies to one of the facilitators who will be happy to accept your donation. It will be distributed along with the other donated supplies from the Fathom group members in St. Thomas. You can find the facilitators if take the supplies to the first group meeting at 5 pm in Club Fusion on Saturday the 20th. https://www.fathom.org/caribbean-effort

That is good to know. I was aware of the Adonia Fathom project but was not aware that they were now across many ships.

It can't be well advertised? you are booked on the ship and didnt know.

Maybe worth pointing that out to the facilitators when you meet with them. - You could maybe ask cruise critic to run a "news" article - I have not seen anything on here about this current program

Well done.!

we sailed a repo cruise the end of October 2017. the last stop was San Juan. Many people just gave their supplies to the cab drivers and asked them to distribute them. I left mine with a bar tender at our hotel who was from an area hit by the hurricane and knew children in hi neighborhood. I had also gone to the dollar store and bought small stuff toys. One hint for areas that are without electricity still are glow sticks. We saw lots of people on the streets near our hotel in San Juan because their apartments did not have electricity so they were trying to stay cool and it was better than sitting in their dark apartments. I also had some sport towels. they are single towels in packages that have tea oil --- help clean and refresh you without water. They are often in dollar stores. I use them camping, for the beach and in hot climates.

heard this ...turns out the cruise you are on is also one of the fathom cruises; all you need to do onboard is take your supplies to one of the facilitators who will be happy to accept your donation. It will be distributed along with the other donated supplies from the fathom group members in st. Thomas. You can find the facilitators if take the supplies to the first group meeting at 5 pm in club fusion on saturday the 20th. https://www.fathom.org/caribbean-effort
:)thank you so much

we sailed a repo cruise the end of October 2017. the last stop was San Juan. Many people just gave their supplies to the cab drivers and asked them to distribute them. I left mine with a bar tender at our hotel who was from an area hit by the hurricane and knew children in hi neighborhood. I had also gone to the dollar store and bought small stuff toys. One hint for areas that are without electricity still are glow sticks. We saw lots of people on the streets near our hotel in San Juan because their apartments did not have electricity so they were trying to stay cool and it was better than sitting in their dark apartments. I also had some sport towels. they are single towels in packages that have tea oil --- help clean and refresh you without water. They are often in dollar stores. I use them camping, for the beach and in hot climates.
,,,,We are not staying in a hotel though ...getting off the cruse ship and wonder if anyone else has done this ,,, Usually we donate when we land by air to mexico cuba etc,,, My son works at at a local hospital and gets supplies from 3rd world countries which we give to to either animal rescue or hospital ,,ALSO its fun to give to the schools.. Last trip the teacher spoke english and we we givena tour

That is good to know. I was aware of the Adonia Fathom project but was not aware that they were now across many ships.

It can't be well advertised? you are booked on the ship and didnt know.

Maybe worth pointing that out to the facilitators when you meet with them. - You could maybe ask cruise critic to run a "news" article - I have not seen anything on here about this current program

Well done.!

We are new to this board Not sure how to contact Cruise critic to run a news article :hearteyes: