Ocho Rios - Cozumel - Grand Cayman

cruiser_family

Mr Sanchos is more fun for families than Nachi. Sanchos is fabulous all around especially quality and quantity of food. Booking thru shore excursioneer keeps your deposit low and has the best cancellation policy. Nachis cancellation policy is non exsistent. No way I am risking that much money taking a whole family.

If you have never been to GC before then you may want to visit the stingray sand bar. We have gone twice. Once was with Stingray Sailing. These guys are TOPs among SRC tour operators and always attract the most rays. The rays know them so well and are happy to see them. They were fabulous with kids and thier photog has amazing skills and camera equipment. We have also done by jetski on a small private tour. That was super fun and was just a few couples.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

What excursions would you recommend? Do you book with Carnival or independent tour companies?

Ocho Rios - Dunn’s River Falls

Grand Cayman - Stingray City

Cozumel - Cozumel Bar Hop if no one is under 18. If some members of your group are under 18, Paradise Beach

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cozumel: We have done Nachi Cocum many times, Money Bar or you can just walk around downtown.

Ocho Rios: Courtney Taylor and a must do is lunch at Scotchies if you like jerk chicken.

Grand Cayman: Look at Natieway Watersports. They do a stop at stingray city, snorkel stop, and then order lunch from the boat that it ready for you when you get to Rum point. It is $65 for the day and this includes lunch. It is called Rays, Reef and Rum Point.

Booking thru shore excursioneer keeps your deposit low and has the best cancellation policy.

The deposit and cancellation terms are the same on both ShoreExcursioneer and through Mr. Sanchos' directly, as a FYI. With reserving directly through Mr. Sanchos' you're just cutting out the middle man.

Cozumel I’ve done a few but my favorite was through Carnival you take the ferry, if get motion sickness not best place, swam with sea turtles and did underground caves. Awesome excursion!

GC sandbar stingrays and turtle farm. We enjoyed this one.

In Ohco we did pearly beach it was decent. Newer place so wasn’t crowded.

We always do excursions through carnival. It may not be the cheapest but knowing you have a better chance of getting back on the boat as they will wait for you in most scenarios is worth the cost for peace of mind.

The deposit and cancellation terms are the same on both ShoreExcursioneer and through Mr. Sanchos' directly, as a FYI. With reserving directly through Mr. Sanchos' you're just cutting out the middle man.
That is incorrect. Booking through shore excursioneer costs you $5 less per person . Shore excursioneer allows you to cancel AFTER the excursion has passed (by email) for any reason and will refund your deposit. Mr Sanchos, unless they have recently changed thier policy, does not match this. I have booked several excursions with SE and they provide good service and in the case of Mr Sanchos, they also provide a better price. I cancelled a MS day after we got home from our cruise and was refunded promptly. Using SE is more than "just cutting out the middleman".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Anything walking around the pier in Ocho Rios?

There was a beach within walking distance there but from what I read it’s had some issues with pollution. I didn’t check it out but it was close by.

There was a beach within walking distance there but from what I read it’s had some issues with pollution. I didn’t check it out but it was close by.

Thanks think we will still on the ship as we really didn’t care for Montego Bay too

Thanks think we will still on the ship as we really didn’t care for Montego Bay too

You’re welcome . it was very close so if you wanted to get off the ship and check it out it’s not far at all. But I’m guessing it’s probably quite busy being so close.

You’re welcome . it was very close so if you wanted to get off the ship and check it out it’s not far at all. But I’m guessing it’s probably quite busy being so close.

Thanks again might be a good day for the skyride!!

What excursions would you recommend? Do you book with Carnival or independent tour companies?

Ocho Rios absolutely through the ship. The people there are the worst imho when it come sto being pushy and trying to scam you. They will also call your obviously pregnant wife a racist if she doesn't want to buy weed. Because its obviously racist for a very pregnant woman to not smoke weed. Well the last time we went we fund that out lol You can tell I almost Detest Ocho Rios. I have a friend that lives not far from there so next cruise she is picking me up and we are going to hang with her.

Grand Cayman I book private with reputable companies, small enough t make it back in time.

Cozumel I bool private as well.Its small and traffic flows well even if there are 6 ships in port. No problems getting back

Thanks to everyone that replied. You have given us so many things to consider.

Has anyone taken the Reggae, Rum, & Jerk excursion by Carnival? Some members of our group like to sample the food of the different ports. I have seen the recommendations of Scotchies ... just trying to keep options open.

In Cozumel you can take an excursion to Chankanab (spelling?) national Park and in that excursion you can snorkel, watch the sea lion show, and they also have a tequila tasting there along with Replica mini Mayan ruins. There is a beach area and swim with dolphins too. Also a nice swim up pool. This might be good choice for many options for large group.

I looked at Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocum. I can't find a menu for Nachi Cocum. I'm trying to compare them to see what will be the preference for our rather large group (20+). our cruise is not until Christmas 2018. Maybe you can compare them after your experience.
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We went to Jamaica but Montego Bay and since dunns river was so far, I would only do it through carnival. We were caught in a traffic jam on the way back and even then it was scary that the cruise might leave. In grand Cayman, we catch a taxi to seven mile beach. Great beach day. In Cozumel we have done many things, mr. Sanchos, private tour of the island and beach stops, and even just shopping on the pier. This last time we got off late and went by taxi to the free beach, Carlos and Charlie's. We had a great time, parasailed, got henna tattoos, and ordered food. There was no requirement to buy anything and we had use if their chairs and umbrellas , restrooms , pool and showers. The taxi was less than 5.00 per person each way. They had all activities if you wanted to partake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just did this itinerary on the Vista in November and have done t a couple other times as well.

Ocho Rios - we booked a custom private tour to Blue Hole followed by a traditional Jamaican lunch at Scotchies with Ricardo at Liberty Tours. Blue Hole does have some moderately difficult climbs to hike up the falls. But the guides are great and make sure you are safe and comfortable the whole time. We even took our three year with us and I never worried about her safety. It is amazingly beautiful there and getting to jump off various cliffs and swing in the rope if thrilling! We've also done Dunn's River, horseback riding, river tubing and other stuff there.

Cozumel - we typically do a beach day here. We love Playa Mia esp. if we have kiddos with us. There are a couple pools, swim up bar, food, splash park, water slides, inflatables for climbing and jumping in the water. You can get day passes which include food and drinks.

Grand Cayman - Seven Mile Beach is beautiful and easy to get to via taxi/bus. Or swimming with the stingrays/snorkeling. We booked with Captain Marvin when we did this tour.

I've found most places to be fine for booking private tours not thru carnival. They are usually less expensive and you typically have much smaller groups with a more personalized experience. Places like Belize, where a lot of the tours require a long drive away from port I am more comfortable booking with Carnival.

Cozumel- carnival excursion Isla passion twister. This was a boat but like a jet ski built for 24. The ride was so fun skipping over the waves and doing donuts. It takes you to Passion Island where it is all inclusive food and drinks. Drinks are delivered to you by very friendly servers. There are inflatables in the water. And you can also get an inexpensive massage on the beach if you like that kind of thing. Loved this excursion.

Grand Cayman- Stingray City. Had a blast.

Or rent a bicycle and explore the island, ride to the beach for a dip to cool off. Lots of very delicious coffee shops. Go to the cigar store first so you can have a smoke with your coffee. Or take a bus to the beach. And maybe go parasailing. We negotiated and only paid 50.00 each. So beautiful and very clear water. Also pretty pricey but the helicopter excursion is very fun. The ride is only about 15 minutes though. Love Grand Cayman.

Cozumel-Nachi Cocum if there are a lot of ships in port, they restrict the numbers of entry,

Bucannos north of town is about a $15. cab ride with $10. entry, food/drinks extra but very good!

Palancar Beach south of Nachi Cocum by a bit, about a $25 cab ride, free entry, and the food/drinks are really good for a low price!

Ocho Rios Moon Palace Beach day.

Grand Cayman Swim with the Rays thru Carnival, love the boat with the staircase into the water, no ladders!

I am interested in this beach, the bay to the left (when facing the island) vs the right where Margarittaville is. Do we need to walk out of the port area and go along the street, or can we get to the beach just out of secure area and keep walking along the beach? Are there some chair rental places/food beverage stands?

Thanks to everyone that replied. You have given us so many things to consider.

Has anyone taken the Reggae, Rum, & Jerk excursion by Carnival? Some members of our group like to sample the food of the different ports. I have seen the recommendations of Scotchies ... just trying to keep options open.

We are signed up for this one next month. It has great reviews and sounds fun! Stingray city is a must do in Cayman. We have taken catamarans but the most fun was the jet ski excursion. Mr. Sanchos is a super fun day. We went last year and spent a lot of time at the swim up pool bar. I saw an ad for MS last week for $45 which is $10 off regular price.

We just came back from these very ports. I think your choice of excursions definitely depends on your group's ages and interests. I was a single mom traveling with four teens and an 8 year old.

I was VERY leery about Ocho Rios from all that I had read. It turned out to be our favorite port. We used Liberty Tours and Michelle picked us up right at port. I can't say enough good things about her. She took us to the Blue Hole where Romaine was our guide. Again, we had a fantastic experience. He was excellent. We then went river tubing and that part was just okay. Instead of stopping for lunch, we had Michelle take us shopping and because we wanted to visit a beach, she stopped there for us too. Maybe our experience was so positive because we were so "sheltered," but it was truly superb.

In Grand Cayman, we did the Snorkeling/Stingray/Starfish Tour through Captain Marvin. It was another fabulous day. The snorkeling was great. The teenagers and I loved Stingray City, but I can't say the same for my 8 year old. On the other hand, the teenagers thought the starfish stop was boring, but my 8 year old loved it. All in all, the stops worked out for everybody.

In Cozumel, I would have loved to have gone to the Secret River, but I knew there was no way I could stomach the "Vomit Comet" to get there. This was the only port that we didn't really have a plan. I think we may have been better off booking an excursion rather than winging it. We wound up at a beach "resort." While it wasn't horrible, it definitely wasn't our favorite. The constant badgering to buy things was annoying. Even when we returned to town to walk around, shopkeepers never let up and we eventually just returned to the ship.

We met the friendliest people and couldn't believe how postcard perfect the scenery was.

We have been to Jamaica two times. First time did Dunn's River Falls. Very pretty, but way too many people. Second time we went to Blue Hole. We ported at Montego Bay so it was nearly a 2 hour ride. Blue Hole is very close to Ocho Rios. If we ever cruise again to Ocho Rios we would be sure to go to Blue Hole again. None of the cruise ships do this excursion so it is not crowded. Maybe a total of 40 people the day we were there and 10 of them were our group.