Cruise Critic Community
Roger Doger

List of ships with FREE steam and/or Sauna

On 10/28/2018 at 3:25 PM, billybeachboy said:

I've recently spent a week on  RCCL's Navigator of the Seas (my second cruise on this ship) & found the male only Sauna/steam facility to still be in place - just to the left of the gym jacuzzi. It has good sized sauna & steam rooms with a plentiful supply  of towels. Cleaning was a little lacking at times during the week, but otherwise a great facility used by me everyday.  🙂

My understanding is that since the most recent refurbishment of Navigator (the so-called Amping), the original fitness center is completely gone and in its place is a smaller version, and if there are lockers rooms other than in the spa, they no longer have free saunas/steam rooms. The only sauna/steam room will be in a thermal suite for a fee. It's so sad to hear that they've destroyed one Voyager-class ship, and it looks like all the Voyager- and Freedom-class ships are scheduled for "Amping." It's not clear, however, if they will all lose the wonderful fitness centers and locker rooms in the name of adding more staterooms and making the sauna/steam room a profit center instead of a free amenity.

If Royal roles this version of "amping" out to all of their ships I'll be looking for a new line to cruise with. I love Royal but they continue to make choices that offer lower value.  All the ships should not be the same. Some Co ed some single sex

. That way passengers can choose the best ship for THEM. Also I would much rather pay a slightly higher cruise fare than be nickle and dimed once on board. 

Willcan I agree with you, I am a bit fed up with being 'nickle and dimed ' on board, RCCL is the worst at this of the cruise lines that I use, everywhere on board it's sell sell sell & it gets very tiresome.  I choose my ship according to the sauna/spa layout & I refuse to pay for it's use, after all one would not pay extra in a 4* & above hotel for the use of similar facilities.  As time passes I fear that RCCL will lose my custom as will other lines that follow the same pattern of withdrawing the facility - I'll go back to land based holidays. 

Edited by billybeachboy

On 1/3/2018 at 9:24 PM, Roger Doger said:

I have created a list of ships with free steam and sauna. It seems like most of the new ships are charging for this and it can be very expensive. Please help by adding/changing any info you might have on any of these ships. Some new ships have not yet been added to the list.

Hope this helps others! No need to spend hundreds extra for a spa pass if you can get this for free!

Friends, this is a great list from Roger. Now it's publicly viewable and editable at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ROCmeNSYj_VwCYs3IUjWbrcEomFeqOrvIDUnXG6GLTg/edit?usp=sharing

On 1/4/2018 at 12:24 AM, Roger Doger said:

I have created a list of ships with free steam and sauna. It seems like most of the new ships are charging for this and it can be very expensive. Please help by adding/changing any info you might have on any of these ships. Some new ships have not yet been added to the list.

Please see attached.

Hope this helps others! No need to spend hundreds extra for a spa pass if you can get this for free!

Ship List.xls 109 kB · 1,268 downloads

Wanted to update Royal Caribbean's  Navigator.  On the last renovation they remove the free sauna and steam when they relocated the gym. 

This is very helpful. Does anyone know the situation on NCL Escape? They don't seem to have a consistent offering based on the sheet.

Thanks

It is a pay, coed

No free or same sex.

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2019 at 2:47 PM, 2cruiseluvrs said:

Friends, this is a great list from Roger. Now it's publicly viewable and editable at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ROCmeNSYj_VwCYs3IUjWbrcEomFeqOrvIDUnXG6GLTg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for doing this. Has this been updated as of July 2019?  Seems like the link is dead.

Edited by Cruise Stud

1 hour ago, Cruise Stud said:

Thanks for doing this. Has this been updated as of July 2019?  Seems like the link is dead.

That is the difficult thing. I try to look on the page on Vacations to Go it see when a ship is last renovated to determine whether to do more checking. ......and probably you can't rely on the ship deck plans as they may not update them speedily.

Posted (edited)

Is this still being updated after refurbishments like discussed regarding The Navigator? I've just been on Celebrity Infinity and the free sauna in the men's locker room was one of my favourite parts. I know the Celebrity Fleet is getting a revolution with refurbishments over next few years. Does anyone know if the free sauna is still present on Celebrity Millennium after the refurbishment? 

Edited by johngjoyce
Typo

9 hours ago, johngjoyce said:

I know the Celebrity Fleet is getting a revolution with refurbishments over next Does anyone know if the free sauna is still present on Celebrity Millennium after the refurbishment? 

johngjoyce - curious if your experience on the Infinity was pre or post revolution. My understanding is the nice big free saunas with windows to the ocean on all the M class ships were being replaced with small interior saunas that only hold about 4 people. Seems like a major downgrade to me.  

Infinity is still pre revolution so I was enjoying the ocean views. Agree that the move to a small interior sauna is a downgrade. 

1 hour ago, VirginiaGuy4u said:

Does anyone know if royal Caribbean mariner of the seas still has free sauna and steam in mens locker room?

The floor plan plan does not shows any changes to the men's spa area on Mariner but it does for the Navigator, Explorer and Freedom (Royal has both the current and future floor plans up now). Based on that I think it is safe to assume the Mariner was spared just like the Independence. These were the first 2 ships to be "Amped".

Does anyone happen to know whether there are any free sauna/steam rooms on MSC Lirica or MSC Orchestra?  It appears they both have MSC Aurea Spa after the refurbs, but some deck plans show 2 saunas in different locations - are any of these possibly attached to the lockers/showers and free?

Lirica is sister ship to Armonia, Sinfonia, and Opera, and Orchestra is sister to Musica, Poesia, and Magnifica - any information about any of these ships would be appreciated!