Snorkeling Cozumel for scaredy cats

jscott792

Cruising with a group of 4 adults, two of us do not want to snorkel in deep water. Is there an activity where you can snorkel Palancar or any other reef where the water isn’t more than 10-15 feet deep? If not, where is the best “from shore” snorkeling in Cozumel?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Snorkeling at Chankanaab is easy and in a protected area - plus they offer a nice/small beach, rental gear, sea lion shows, as well as food and drinks - but admission is about $20 per person

I would also look at the Money Bar - no admission, rental gear and guides if needed, great facilities, and good food, drinks and service.

Most snorkel tours and equipment rental shops will require or at least offer a snorkel vest to help you float. I would also suggest wearing a rash guard to help prevent sunburn on your back. If anyone in your group has a growing bald spot like me, lather up with eco friendly sun tan lotion (Walmart, Amazon, etc.)

Have a great cruise! :cool:

Thank you! I did look at Chankanaab and it doesn’t look bad. I am actually considering having us split up. I just can’t go there and not snorkel the reef. I guess the rest of them can take an easier tour.

Palancar is more than a mile off-shore and is deeper than 40' in the shallowest area. Sorry, you can't do that if you want shallow. I don't consider any part of Palancar great snorkeling due to depth and that you are on open sea with possibly choppy surface and current. I dive at Palancar regularly, one of the best reefs in Caribbean for scuba, not so much for snorkeling IMHO.

The best shallow reefs are:

1. Paradise - this is the one closest to the cruise ship piers, and even though people complain that they had to snorkel right near the ships, that is where the best shallow reef is located!!!!!!!!! You have to do this one by boat. No shore entry.

2. Dzul Ha - this is the reef just off of Money Bar, but you have to swim out to it from shore OR do it from a snorkel boat. Most snorkel tours go there as it is shallow, like 15-20' deep. Not anywhere near as good as Paradise.

3. Chankanaab - nice shallow snorkel area.

4. Columbia Shallows --- amazing, absolutely amazing BUT it is an hour boat ride down to this area, no shore entry and no way to get there except by boat tour. Tours will cost extra to go there, but that is because it is soooooo far down on south end of island, and gas is expensive. Worth it, if you really love great snorkeling. Is it better than Paradise - depends on weather and time you have.. Yes, overall it is better but it is a long ride down, and back.

robin

Thank you! Columbia Shallows looks like a perfect spot. Any info on how to get there from the Norwegian port?

As I said.... it is far down south end of the island, and most boat snorkeling excursions do not go there due to distance. You will need to find an excursion that says they will go there, and as I said, it will be a lot more expensive due to that distance and cost of gas. If your cruise ship doesn't have a snorkel boat going there, then look at one of the independents... I do remember one recently posted as snorkeling Columbia Shallows.

Waiting patiently for your review[emoji6]

Cozumel Cruise Excursions has yet to answer my email inquiry. I emailed Cozumel H2O which does a similar tour and they responded almost immediately. Will probably book with them. I just want to snorkel Columbia Shallows and Palancar. El Cielo would be a bonus! Just keeping you posted... :)

Hi. We are recently back from Cozumel. We went with cozumelshoreexcursion.net. fantastic communication before our trip. We went to four sites, Palancar (reef is deep) bu r swam with a number of barracuda. Columbia, shallower and much nicer view of the reef, El Cielo, star fish heaven, and then hung out in the shallows while stingrays ventured by. Willy, our guide was excellent. He was in the water with us each time. The captain would drip us off and at least 1/2hour later be in a different spot to pick us up. Willy made some awesome Pico and guacamole. Beers, water, soda all uncluded. Then he broke out the tequila! Tequila, sprite, and coke with a salted lime. Very tasty. Willy then found the shot glass which a few of us enjoyed. There were maybe 12 to 14 of us. The boat was a little tired but they got us out and back in plenty of time. We met at the hooters in town very close to the ship. They provided the Internet password from Starbucks next door wich my boys enjoyed prior to and after our trip. Highly recommend this trip. Not very expensive for what you get. The four of us were the only ones from a cruise ship and they want to always make sure you are back in time. This was excellent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Great to hear that you had a good experience with them. I am also booking with them, but I have two non-swimmers in the party. Do you think it's worthwhile for the non-swimmers to sit in the boat (paying full fare of course) with the group just to enjoy the view and occasionally take pictures of those who actually get into the water?

Hi. We are recently back from Cozumel. We went with cozumelshoreexcursion.net. fantastic communication before our trip. We went to four sites, Palancar (reef is deep) bu r swam with a number of barracuda. Columbia, shallower and much nicer view of the reef, El Cielo, star fish heaven, and then hung out in the shallows while stingrays ventured by. Willy, our guide was excellent. He was in the water with us each time. The captain would drip us off and at least 1/2hour later be in a different spot to pick us up. Willy made some awesome Pico and guacamole. Beers, water, soda all uncluded. Then he broke out the tequila! Tequila, sprite, and coke with a salted lime. Very tasty. Willy then found the shot glass which a few of us enjoyed. There were maybe 12 to 14 of us. The boat was a little tired but they got us out and back in plenty of time. We met at the hooters in town very close to the ship. They provided the Internet password from Starbucks next door wich my boys enjoyed prior to and after our trip. Highly recommend this trip. Not very expensive for what you get. The four of us were the only ones from a cruise ship and they want to always make sure you are back in time. This was excellent.

Great to hear that you had a good experience with them. I am also booking with them, but I have two non-swimmers in the party. Do you think it's worthwhile for the non-swimmers to sit in the boat (paying full fare of course) with the group just to enjoy the view and occasionally take pictures of those who actually get into the water?
I think it would be. The shallow area with the rays is about 3 feet of water so they can stand, have some beer and enjoy the time. The boat we were on as I mentioned is not new or fast. Great way to see that part of the island. Inexpensive trip on the water.

Thank you!

I think it would be. The shallow area with the rays is about 3 feet of water so they can stand, have some beer and enjoy the time. The boat we were on as I mentioned is not new or fast. Great way to see that part of the island. Inexpensive trip on the water.

• 2 weeks later...

Super helpful! Thank you!

Super helpful! Thank you!

I am getting ready for the snorkeling trip (in one week!!). Just curious: Is it cold to snorkel in this weather? What about playing on the beach? I see weather forecast with high at 81C. My kids are excited about snorkeling, but they really don't like cold water in swimming pools. Any thoughts or tips will be very much appreciated!

I am getting ready for the snorkeling trip (in one week!!). Just curious: Is it cold to snorkel in this weather? What about playing on the beach? I see weather forecast with high at 81C. My kids are excited about snorkeling, but they really don't like cold water in swimming pools. Any thoughts or tips will be very much appreciated!
I suggest you purchase rash guards for them. Excellent value and comfort can be found from Vapor Apparel or Kona. These offer comfort fit not to tight. Some kids may like tighter fits. You can get long or short sleeves. Great for adults as well. Theses also offer great UVA protection from the sun. They all dry really quickly as well. There are more expensive brands from Quicksilver or Body Glove. Rash guards were mainly for surfers to protect the body from paddling out on the boards.