Tallinn: Top Rated!! Why Loved?

Thanks for bumping this thread: I'm trying to talk my sister into joining me on a Northern Europe trip in the future, and I think she will love Tallinn (possibly even more than St. Petersburg), so Tallinn photos are always welcome.

And I will agree that a Tallinn guided tour is not necessary as it's very easy to DIY, although I did really enjoy the very reasonably priced private walking + bike tour with did with Traveller Tours (a local company) on our last visit, as I especially enjoyed contrasting our medieval city walk with our cycling tour of the more modern areas (such as Telliskivi Creative City, with its street art).

(Adding that I didn't especially enjoy the walking tour we did with one of the big St. P. tour companies on our previous visit, as there were too many people in our group in too-crowded areas to hear our tour guide easily. The big St. P. company tours in other ports vary widely in tour group size and quality.)

14 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Tallinn on a rainy day

Nice pics! I really like your photo of Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. I think that rainy/cloudy days make for some very interesting and beautiful photos. Image #10 is very interesting - which building is pictured (I don't recall seeing it)?

We did a walking food tour and it was one of the highlights of our trip.  I think you could easily do Tallinn on your own, as its not hard to get to the old town and navigate the main areas, but we really appreciated the insight from a local.  She had family "disappeared" when the Soviets invaded the country, and was a mid-teen when they regained independence.  She had some fascinating stories.  That sort of experience you can't get with an audio guide or book.

8 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Nice pics! I really like your photo of Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. I think that rainy/cloudy days make for some very interesting and beautiful photos. Image #10 is very interesting - which building is pictured (I don't recall seeing it)?

No. 10 is the façade of an apartment building we passed walking down the street.

When I said I loved Paris there were some who said it was too touristy.  It was the same when we expressed a liking for Florence....it was too touristy.  And we have heard the same about Venice, Talllin, Taormina, New York, San Francisco, etc.  Folks all say these places are "too touristy.  But when we went to Dakar and Murmansk  nobody told us they were touristy and there was a good reason.  So folks, I am happy to visit Tallin, Venice, Paris, Prague, drive through Provence (too touristy), spend time staying in hotel/chateaus of the Loire (all too touristy), etc.

One thing I have learned after a long life of extensive travel is that "touristy" places are often worthy of the label :).  I have also learned to ignore folks who tell me not to go to places because they are touristy.  My goodness, even Antarctica is considered too touristy by some..   Our of respect for "London Towner" we will no longer visit London which it too touristy, too expensive, and full of too many folks who tell me everything is too touristy :).

Hank