Las Caletas Puerto Vallarta

alprice

Has anyone been to Las Caletas? Which tour did you use? Princess has one that is 7 1/2 hours for $79.00. What did you think?

Thanks for the information

10-09-2004 - Diamond princess - Mexico

10-25-2003 - Navigator of the Seas - Eastern

11-09-2002 - Explorer of the Seas - Western

My DH and I did this tour a few years back. It was a nice relaxing day at the beach. We kayaked and relaxed but here was no swimming or snorkeling on that day because of jellyfish in the water. (We could see them while we kayaked.) The food and drinks were included in the price. I think they also had a cooking demonstration and served the paella that they made as part of the lunch. They also had sign-ups on the way over for a massage for a very reasonable price. I think it was about 1/2 the price as on the ship. The boat ride to the beach was about 45 minutes Coffee and donuts on the way there and they make it more of a party atmosphere on the way back. (Drinks flowing and the deck hands dancing) I think this is to loosen you up before they pass the "tips" bucket around. It was kind of expensive but it was nice to sit and relax without being asked every 2 minutes if I wanted my hair braided or if I wanted to buy something... Any other ??'s, just ask. Amy icon_biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

hi,

my daughter and I are very interested in snorkelling, but have read mixed reviews about this on the mex. riv.

Has anyone been able to snorkle at Las Calitas, or been there more recently? we would be giving up a day in town for this long excursion, which is ok, since we have been to p.v. before, but have friend accompanying us who have not, so it's a toss up....

thanks for your input..

Las Caletas is about the only place in our area that you can do some snorkeling from, from the beach. It is a beautiful area with a full days activities. Good crew too! I believe that if you are coming on a cruise ship, you can only book through them.

We were on this tour about 3 years ago and have signed up again this Nov.

We loved the area, food, and people. We snorkled from the beach and did all the other activities. We will be on the Saphire Princess Nov 11

Aleeta

• 1 month later...

yee haw!

less than two weeks to go, I can hardly wait!

Seems the vote is good on this venue, I'll be there in late september (04)

If anyone has questions, i'll be more than happy to answer them after my cruise, returning on 10/2/04

\

Juggledude

• 6 months later...

There were 7 Colorado women and we had a blast. Talk about relaxing and beautiful. The food was outstanding as were the waiters and boat guys. We had incredible massages, then hung in hammocks overlooking the mountainside and beach. We also sat on the beach for awhile and swam, then all too quickly, it was over. Highly recommended!

Our family of nine were there last week and we all had a great day. We had been there before and will go back on our next visit. The most like a Caribbean or Hawaiian Beach I've found along this coast of Mexico. Have a great day - and cruising on the catamaran to get there is half the fun - great crew!

• 3 months later...

iggipolka - spa treatment are USD $25 per half hour. They will introduce the spa services while on the boat to Caletas. If really interested, it is best to get your reservation in before you reach the Caletas dock as the spa fills quickly. We go every year and have found the spa services to be a real value.

auntdebba - all gear is provided. Keep in mind, jellyfish can be a problem in PV. Wind, tides and time of year are all factors that determine if they are present or not. DW & I normally spend a good part of November in PV. Jellyfish have never been a significant problem during that time of year. Changing ocean conditions do affect water clearity in the late Spring. We were in PV once in May and the water conditions throughout the bay were just like pea soup. The guide told us it was an annual occurance at that time of the year and was caused by changing Pacific ocean currents.

Enjoy. we arrive November 6th for several sun filled weeks.

Thanks for the information

We will be cruising the Mexican Riveria the first week of October I wonder what the jelly fish situation is at that time of the year? I have read it is a problem all up and down the coast. Does anyone know of a website that we might find that information?:confused:

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a funnier question.....I have two kids that would be in tow...are there washroom facilities there? LOL...but need to know!

Yes, the have regular inside facilities ... sorta. They have a combination of outhouse size facilities as-well-as facilities in several of the buildings. All have regular toilets with wash basins. However, they do not have electricity so all lighting is by candles and is somewhat dim.

If you do the Rhythms of The Night dinner show at LC, it is helpful to bring a small flashlight with you.

Yes, that is correct! If your ship offers the Las Caletas tour, you cannot book it on your own. I tried and had to go through the cruise line. There were about 6-8 people on this excursion from the cruise and everyone else was from hotels in the area. As a result, this excursion did not seem like a ship excursion in that it was not ship exclusive. We had to wait a while at the dock for all of the other guests to assemble before we could leave while everyone from the ship arrived together and early.

However, having said all of this, we had a wonderful day at Las Caletas! My husband and I both got wonderful massages which you book on the boat on the way over to Las Caletas. They did say that our group was very small compared to most days so there were plenty of chairs and floats on the beach. There is an open bar and the lunch served was good.

I would definitely recommend this excursion.

Thanks for questions you answered. We are interested in going to Las Caletas too and have a few questions too.

Since we have never been to Puerto Vallarta, would we regret going to Las Caletas and not having enough time to wander around old Puerto Vallarta and the Malecon and boardwalk area? Is Puerto Vallarta most like San Juan, Philipsburg or Marigot in St. Maarten, Nassau, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, or St. Thomas? If we have an hour to spare before or at the end of the Las Caletas tour, would we have adequate time to see a little of Puerto Vallarta? Is the port close to the Malecon or an enjoyable walking area of Puerto Vallarta?

We’re not into shopping, but love historic areas and lots of walking or getting exercise. The activities at Las Caletas sound wonderful, but we’re not party animals. Can we snorkel and kayak on our own or would we have to join an organized tour if wanting to do one or both? We’re experienced kayakers, but I’m a beginner snorkeler (did it once; DH is pretty good though) – are snorkeling lessons throughout the day if I choose to take them?

Thanks again!

Yes, that is correct! If your ship offers the Las Caletas tour, you cannot book it on your own. I tried and had to go through the cruise line. There were about 6-8 people on this excursion from the cruise and everyone else was from hotels in the area. As a result, this excursion did not seem like a ship excursion in that it was not ship exclusive. We had to wait a while at the dock for all of the other guests to assemble before we could leave while everyone from the ship arrived together and early.

However, having said all of this, we had a wonderful day at Las Caletas! My husband and I both got wonderful massages which you book on the boat on the way over to Las Caletas. They did say that our group was very small compared to most days so there were plenty of chairs and floats on the beach. There is an open bar and the lunch served was good.

I would definitely recommend this excursion.

Quite frankly, I have no idea how the tour operator knows how people arrive in PV to take the Las Caletas excursion. I spend a day at Las Caletas each year and I book the tour via the internet to get the 10% discount. Everybody checks in at the same booth and everybody stands in the same line waiting for the excursion boat to arrive. I can generally tell who has come off a cruise ship by the towels they carry but other than that, one touist looks like all the rest.

Does their website request your hotel information? I can't remember. We usually bring beach towels from home so we could have just walked off the ship as if doing our own thing and walked over to the Las Caletas boat. Plus, it would be cheaper this way, as I recall. I believe the cruise ship excursion was more expensive (which is typical) but in this particular situation it seemed rather blatant to the cruise ship passengers.:(

Archived