St Marteen Update

trafficgirl124

I found some great information on the St. Maarten Nature Foundation site about their ongoing clean-up efforts in water and land areas:

http://www.naturefoundationsxm.org/news/

Kudos to the nature foundation. They do some very good work on the island. If not for them there were be a dolphin prison as well.

Thanks for sharing this.

Kim Sha beach is the beach now being used by the cruise lines. It is in the Simpson Bay Area but it's not Simpson Bay beach. Confusing I know.:)

Yes they are going to Kim Sha Beach, as I mention this is located on Simpson Bay,.

26907647_2024981594411301_3877070443658491931_n.jpg?oh=27bb38fc346c45be813fd37dfec3369d&oe=5AE80064

Yes they are going to Kim Sha Beach, as I mention this is located on Simpson Bay,.

26907647_2024981594411301_3877070443658491931_n.jpg?oh=27bb38fc346c45be813fd37dfec3369d&oe=5AE80064

This is a good reference. Kim Sha beach is just beside the Royal Palm Resort. I have always been told that Simpson Bay starts AT the Royal Palm resort and goes to the airport. (Airport is not on this map as it's at the far end of Simpson Bay beach which starts after the bridge)

The long beautiful Simpson Bay beach is not on this map as it starts on the other side of the Simpson Bay bridge.

You can not walk from Kim Sha beach to Simpson Bay beach along the beach. It takes about 20 minutes to walk via the St to go from Kim Sha to the beginning of the over mile long Simpson Bay beach which starts on the other side of the Simpson Bay bridge. ( the bridge that connects the sea to the Simpson Bay lagoon)

The whole area is called Simpson Bay which really adds to the confusion. It would take 4-5 minutes to drive the main Rd through the area called Simpson Bay. It's a very large and busy area of the island with many resorts, timeshares, homes, businesses and stores, beaches ect

Edited by Karysa

This is a good reference. Kim Sha beach is just beside the Royal Palm Resort. I have always been told that Simpson Bay starts AT the Royal Palm resort and goes to the airport. (Airport is not on this map as it's at the far end of Simpson Bay beach which starts after the bridge)

The long beautiful Simpson Bay beach is not on this map as it starts on the other side of the Simpson Bay bridge.

You can not walk from Kim Sha beach to Simpson Bay beach along the beach. It takes about 20 minutes to walk via the St to go from Kim Sha to the beginning of the over mile long Simpson Bay beach which starts on the other side of the Simpson Bay bridge. ( the bridge that connects the sea to the Simpson Bay lagoon)

The whole area is called Simpson Bay which really adds to the confusion. It would take 4-5 minutes to drive the main Rd through the area called Simpson Bay. It's a very large and busy area of the island with many resorts, timeshares, homes, businesses and stores, beaches ect

I guess the proper way to describe the Simpson Bay bridge would be to say that the bridge is in the middle with the sea on one side and the Simpson Bay Lagoon on the other side. Boats use that channel to go between the sea and the Lagoon and it's a short cut for them to but that's more info than needed here. 😊

I know we aren't supposed to go overboard on spelling, but place names ought to be correct IMO. You mean St Maarten I presume.

:rolleyes: I usually don't say much, but really???? I doubt anyone misunderstood what they meant.

And please , do us all a favor and never read one of my reviews;p

Is Kimsha on the Dutch side of St Marteen? How long will it take by taxi?

Thanks

Yes, Kim Sha Beach is at Simpson Bay on the Dutch side of the island - just before you get to the Simpson Bay Bridge. It is about a 20 minute taxi ride from Philipsburg to get there.

We had a stop at St Maarten last week. We took a cab over to Mullet Bay. This was on the Dutch side, which was supposed to have less damage than the French side. There was a LOT of damage. Missing roofs, crumpled water storage (a new one was in place), boats sitting on sides of roads. The taxi organizer told us there were restrooms and a restaurant. The restroom was a heavily used porta- potty. Photos are of the “restaurant.” The beach and water were enjoyable, though. There was chair and umbrella service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don’t stay on the ship! Get off and find a way to bless a local. After paying our taxi driver, my husband gave her $20 for herself, and another $20 to give to someone who needed it more than she did. She told us 80% of the people are unemployed. It should be pretty easy to find someone to help!

Please do not stay on the ship. I was there on December 17, 2017. We hired a local guide and went to Pinel Island for the morning. The afternoon, we spent in downtown Phillipsburg. Beaches are still there, and everyday more and more businesses are open. Yes, it will be better once the "land" tourists are there, but cruise passengers need to be onshore until then.

Regards,

Mike

We rented a Jeep for next week, will we be able to drive around the island/ French side.

We are in St. Martin next month and would like to tour the island, particularly the French side. Can you provide any details on your Jeep rental. We would prefer to take a taxi to visit several beaches but I’m not sure that is feasible in St. M. Thanks in advance

We are in St. Martin next month and would like to tour the island, particularly the French side. Can you provide any details on your Jeep rental. We would prefer to take a taxi to visit several beaches but I’m not sure that is feasible in St. M. Thanks in advance

Rented from hertz. They have a place close to the dock area. Cost about $100 for the day. Will post more important issues after our trip.

Is there any area on the French side that you would avoid due to safety concerns?

Rented from hertz. They have a place close to the dock area. Cost about $100 for the day. Will post more important issues after our trip.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea for cost and flexibility, but we are a little concerned about driving on our own. Would appreciate your feedback upon return.

We just came back home yesterday. We never really went on the interior of the island as we walked from the ship to a dock and took a water excursion. From the ship we could see many of the buildings along the water were boarded up. As we viewed the shoreline from the boat tour we saw a lot of destruction. It looked like a war zone on the French side. We saw many boats on their side or with just the mast sticking out of the water. Most of the beaches were empty and those that had people had very few. There was one hotel that the only thing that was left was the concrete it was built out of. The windows had been blown out, along with the curtains and furniture and everything inside.

We did not venture onto the island itself beyond the beaches we stopped at but we met others who did. One couple who had never been to St. Maarten before kept exclaiming what a beautiful island it is.

Air traffic onto the island is down more than 60%. All those people who worked in those hotels and restaurants are unemployed. They need your money. Spend it. Go on an excursion of some sort. Tip generously. Buy things. The beaches are still beautiful. The water is spectacular.

We just came back home yesterday. We never really went on the interior of the island as we walked from the ship to a dock and took a water excursion. From the ship we could see many of the buildings along the water were boarded up. As we viewed the shoreline from the boat tour we saw a lot of destruction. It looked like a war zone on the French side. We saw many boats on their side or with just the mast sticking out of the water. Most of the beaches were empty and those that had people had very few. There was one hotel that the only thing that was left was the concrete it was built out of. The windows had been blown out, along with the curtains and furniture and everything inside.

We did not venture onto the island itself beyond the beaches we stopped at but we met others who did. One couple who had never been to St. Maarten before kept exclaiming what a beautiful island it is.

Air traffic onto the island is down more than 60%. All those people who worked in those hotels and restaurants are unemployed. They need your money. Spend it. Go on an excursion of some sort. Tip generously. Buy things. The beaches are still beautiful. The water is spectacular.

We will be there in a few weeks. Which beach would you recommend? We thought about Karaktar but aren't sure where to go-- just need a pretty beach, some drinks and preferably a bathroom. We definitely want to get out and spend some money to help out.

Def lots of chairs, just didn't see any restrooms. I believe there was someone selling drinks at Rosy's Shack, just didn't see the menu up like it had been in the past. There was also someone grilling, but I'm not sure what he was selling and when because it still wasn't available by the time we were ready to leave. Beautiful beach, I would def go again!