Room Service Trays

bUU

During our last cruise (Maasdam) I was walking along the hallway to our stateroom when the emergency response team came running along the hallway with their equipment.

Any Room Service tray in the hallway would have been an unwanted obstacle for the team.

That is the sort of point I tried to make in # 48 . YOURS is the perfect post for this thread, IMO.

?

We don't have to agree about what we each would do; we just have to agree to respect each other's decisions in that regard, when the cruise line fails to hold up its end of the bargain. If you choose not to respect each other's decision that itself is a decision not to have your perspective respected in return. That kind of lack of respect for the perspective of others leads to the breakdown of relations between passengers aboard a cruise ship (and within a discussion forum incidentally).

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

b:UU: "

We just have to agree to respect each other's decisions in that regard, when the cruise line fails to hold up its end of the bargain. If you choose not to respect each other's decision that itself is a decision not to have your perspective respected in return. That kind of lack of respect for the perspective of others leads to the breakdown of relations between passengers aboard a cruise ship (and within a discussion forum incidentally).

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

We have to respect facts,

As we have heard stated by others: we can each have our opinion but not our own facts.

I have had that card stating to call for removal of the tray, numerous times, therefore, I cannot agree HAL has instructed we put the tray outside the door. The card on the tray instructs to call for tray remov al . I have had that c ard on my tray, again and again and again through the year.s

That , IMO, leaves little room for confusion.

Lets please avoid personal attacks as banned by this foru.m. thank you in advan ce.

Edited by sail7seas

It is possible to respect facts and other people's perspectives, such as nana51's, at the same time. Assuming that they don't have the facts or haven't factored the facts into their perspective is simply rude. A key part of living in community with others is not giving any quarter to Binary thinking.

Edited by bUU

It is extremely rare for me to use room service (in fact, I cannot think of the last time that I have used it....). So I've been hesitant to weigh in on the topic.

However, I thought I'd share my perspective as a relatively simple soul.

It is very clear to me -- as it should be to anyone -- that ships are not hotels and different considerations apply. Hallways are narrower than in hotels. And hotels are not regularly faced with inopportune weather that causes its structure to move up and down and from side to side.

We are all part of a small community at sea, no matter how temporary. Between the obvious conclusions one can draw regarding safety at sea on the one hand, and HAL's clear request on the other, I would not leave my dishes in the hallway. If there is a fail regarding pick-up, I would not put them outside (either in the hall or on a hypothetical balcony) where they could create potential hazards. I'd simply deal with it as I would other issues -- escalating if necessary until they were removed.

Edited by cruisemom42

It is extremely rare for me to use room service (in fact, I cannot think of the last time that I have used it....). So I've been hesitant to weigh in on the topic.

However, I thought I'd share my perspective as a relatively simple soul.

It is very clear to me -- as it should be to anyone -- that ships are not hotels and different considerations apply. Hallways are narrower than in hotels. And hotels are not faced with inopportune weather that causes its structure to move up and down and from side to side.

We are all part of a small community at sea, no matter how temporary. Between the obvious conclusions one can draw regarding safety at sea on the one hand, and HAL's clear request on the other, I would not leave my dishes in the hallway. If there is a fail regarding pick-up, I would not put them outside (either in the hall or on a hypothetical balcony) where they could create potential hazards. I'd simply deal with it as I would other issues -- escalating if necessary until they were removed.

Very sensible and well put. :)

Very sensible and well put. :)
Again: respecting only perspectives that you agree with is not respecting the perspectives of others in the matter necessary when living in community with others aboard a cruise ship.

Room service trays are never be placed in the hallways. Ever.

Put them in your bathtub if you want them out of the way in your cabin. Or take them up to the Lido galley disposal area by the Lido bar yourself, where these items get sent down to the ship's hinterlands, if you feel you are simply not getting prompt enough cabin removal service from the room service dining staff.

Question....If it really is a serious serious safety threat, wouldn't the Coast Guard have regulations regarding such and wouldn't it be possible that these regulations be conveyed at Muster drill.

Or if the ship really was concerned, wouldn't they do more than place a placard on the tray?Maybe the actual occurance rate of injuries is really really low and that's why greater precautions are not taken.

What if a majority of the 'perpertrators' turned out to be handicapped individuals who needed the extra space to get around or needed the space for their walkers or scooters. Would you change your position on the matter?

What if the majority reason for this happening is due to poor service from the staff just not picking up trays timely enough.

Lots of things to ponder here.

Unbelievable that some are still arguing about this, and that common sense and consideration for others have no place in their arguments.

It is a SHIP not a darned hotel, it moves, it sometimes rocks and rolls, it has narrow hallways, there are people with mobility issues, there are often emergency situations. Keep the darned trays off the hallway floors. Good lord, a dirty tray in your room doesn't mean you can dump it outside and put everyone else at risk and it's not the end of the world. Call the front desk. Talk to your room steward. Just deal with it.

Unbelievable that some are still arguing about this, and that common sense and consideration for others have no place in their arguments.

From my post #48 in this thread:

Or Call RS and let them know the displeasure of peoople trying to not trip on it as they go to their cab in........... Remind them it is dangerous and needs to be removed, NOW>

Mention 'what if there is an emergency and the dirty tray impedes evacuation ofc abins?

[simple courrtesy and considertation by those who have the tray could avoid t he whole mes s

It is a SHIP not a darned hotel, it moves, it sometimes rocks and rolls, it has narrow hallways, there are people with mobility issues, there are often emergency situations. Keep the darned trays off the hallway floors. Good lord, a dirty tray in your room doesn't mean you can dump it outside and put everyone else at risk and it's not the end of the world. Call the front desk. Talk to your room steward. Just deal with it.

Edited by sail7seas

Maybe with the list of confounding concerns, it is time to change room service to just Grab and Go sandwich deliveries Drop the empty bag in the waste basket and done. They can even make breakfast sandwiches. My guess is HAL is not going to add more staff to handle expedited room service pick ups; they would keep down grading this option first. Or adding it as a fee based service to cover any additional personnel, if they could find crew beds for them.

Unbelievable :loudcry: This can't be more simple; there is a card on the serving tray telling you what to do with the shallow platform designed for the carrying of items when you're done feeding. Just do it and be done with it! :cool:

Question....If it really is a serious serious safety threat, wouldn't the Coast Guard have regulations regarding such and wouldn't it be possible that these regulations be conveyed at Muster drill.

Or if the ship really was concerned, wouldn't they do more than place a placard on the tray?Maybe the actual occurance rate of injuries is really really low and that's why greater precautions are not taken.

What if a majority of the 'perpertrators' turned out to be handicapped individuals who needed the extra space to get around or needed the space for their walkers or scooters. Would you change your position on the matter?

What if the majority reason for this happening is due to poor service from the staff just not picking up trays timely enough.

Lots of things to ponder here.

You're getting in the way of the generalized disrespect for other passengers and self-ratified rudeness toward those other passengers that some folks would prefer prevail.

Unbelievable :loudcry: This can't be more simple; there is a card on the serving tray telling you what to do with the shallow platform designed for the carrying of items when you're done feeding. Just do it and be done with it! :cool:

Exactly!

Thank you. I tried organizing my thoughts yesterday to post, but failed :) You have expressed MY thoughts perfectly. (y)

To me, this post from someone who works/worked (?) on a ship seems like it should be the end of the discussion/debate. A fitting way to end this thread, IMHO.

Hardly. That would simply ratify by fiat the aforementioned generalized disrespect for other passengers and self-ratified rudeness toward those other passengers. The definitive word to end this thread will invariably be one calling for people to accept that there are different views on the subject. Until then, I bet the thread will simply go back and forth between those seeking to claim that their way is the only way and others pointing out how offensive that is.

Even if the card were not put on the tray (it has always been on the tray with our daily morning coffee on HAL), it should be intuitive that the narrowness of the corridor has to make leaving the tray out there an imposition on everyone else.

The sad fact is that too many cruisers think only of themselves while sailing.

Hardly. That would simply ratify by fiat the aforementioned generalized disrespect for other passengers and self-ratified rudeness toward those other passengers. The definitive word to end this thread will invariably be one calling for people to accept that there are different views on the subject. Until then, I bet the thread will simply go back and forth between those seeking to claim that their way is the only way and others pointing out how offensive that is.
The sad fact is that too many cruisers think only of themselves while sailing.

See what I mean? In less than an hour, absolute refusal to acknowledge the legitimacy of different perspectives such as nana51's - it's like something is broken in society's ability to have different opinions exist simultaneously.

See what I mean? In less than an hour, absolute refusal to acknowledge the legitimacy of different perspectives such as nana51's - it's like something is broken in society's ability to have different opinions exist simultaneously.

Acknowledging that the system occasionally has problems is not the same thing as saying the policy should be up for debate.

Acknowledging that the system occasionally has problems is not the same thing as saying the policy should be up for debate.
Disparaging the sensibility of other passengers is not "Acknowledging that the system occasionally has problems".

Sorry, you are on a different tangent than I thought.
No problem. That's really the only concern I have. I personally don't ever see putting the room service tray out in the hallway as something that we would ever do. What concerns me is just the attitude toward other passengers who perhaps see things differently.

Even if the card were not put on the tray (it has always been on the tray with our daily morning coffee on HAL), it should be intuitive that the narrowness of the corridor has to make leaving the tray out there an imposition on everyone else.

Not necessarily. Other cruise lines have/ had different policies. When we were on Carnival, placing trays in the hallway was the norm. So a person who did not get the card and sailed on other cruise lines would not know placing their tray outside was a faux pas.