mexicobob

toddlers and specialy restaurants

The person next to us at crown grill on the Royal last week has a baby (for sure under 1) with them. He was adorable and so well behaved. It takes a looonng time so I’d bring something to keep them occupied.

We took our 13 month old to the Crown Grill. He was very well behaved and even got several compliments on his behavior, but dinner was long and we could see restlessness was on the way, so we chose to skip dessert.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love kids ..... in fact i used to be one

Your guess is as good as mine as to how the child is going to behave on the day.

Total personal call on how appropriate/comfortable you will be dining - as only you will know what your child has experienced during the day.

Regardless of the behaviour ... I bet you WILL get 'the look' even before you has sat down.

I wish you well.

It all depends on your child. If your child is willing to sit through a 2 hour dinner and not start crying or wanting to get down and run around then you will be fine. If your child likes to throw their food and cry and cause a fuss then no. I have a 2 year old grandchild, it would be a nightmare to take him to the Crown Grill. He would not be good for 20 min. I have a 7 month old GC that would be perfectly fine to take. We ate in the Crown Gill on our New Years cruise. Our time was 8:15, we walked out of the restaurant at 10:30. It took that long for meal & desert. This is how I feel. If we are seated next to well behaved children it is a joy to see. If we are seated next to children who are causing a fuss, it does effect the enjoyment of our meal. If you are traveling with friends or family maybe you could trade off for the night.

Since the atmosphere of the specialty restaurants is much quieter than the MDR or the Horizon Court buffet, if your toddler becomes upset or restless and fussy or noisy, it's probably going to evoke some unpleasant looks from other diners who are enjoying a specialty dining treat and quiet conversation.

I'm not being nasty when I say that I would suggest that if you do decide to dine there with your little one, that you be prepared to take him/her out quickly if he/she becomes fussy or noisy. I'm sure your fellow diners would appreciate it. I know I would.

Kids are going to be kids. If the dinner gets to long or the little one is not having a good evening then it is the responsibility of the adult to immediately take the child outside. Everyone's enjoyment of their dinner is at stake and it is the parents responsibility to make sure that happens. Otherwise bring the child and have a great experience.

Since the atmosphere of the specialty restaurants is much quieter than the MDR or the Horizon Court buffet, if your toddler becomes upset or restless and fussy or noisy, it's probably going to evoke some unpleasant looks from other diners who are enjoying a specialty dining treat and quiet conversation.

I'm not being nasty when I say that I would suggest that if you do decide to dine there with your little one, that you be prepared to take him/her out quickly if he/she becomes fussy or noisy. I'm sure your fellow diners would appreciate it. I know I would.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post. Some cruise lines have an "adult only" policy in their specialty restaurants; Princess does not. As long as the child is reasonably behaved, he/she is welcome to be there. (regardless of what some guests might feel). On the other hand, if the child is unable to maintain reasonably quiet behavior during the dinner, you need to be willing to leave and calm him...possibly leaving the other parent at the table and returning if he settles down.

Only you know your child. Princess permits children in its specialty restaurants. If you are confident your child will behave accordingly (e.g. no crying, shouting, running around, etc.), then go for it.

If your child is good at seating for 2 hours, sure dine at the specialty restaurant. Or if your child is having an extremely off day, be willing to leave. I took my son from about a 1 and 1/2 on cruises. He enjoyed all the dining experiences. If I felt he was annoying other passengers such as getting up and wondering around or being loud, then I would remove him from the situation either temporarily for a short talk or for the night.

We did not take our three grandchildren to any specialty restaurants on a recent cruise on the Regal but they were very well behaved in the MDR

This 2 1/2 year old loved the mussels

26495744829_e057102b2c_z.jpgLoves Mussels

The five year old thinking he could devour an entire bowl of spaghetti in one bite.

37561240844_b54057fe10_z.jpgHungry Man

And the four year old loved the shrimp cocktail

38252341992_4918bcd74c_z.jpg

They all loved desert

26495817309_3f0ef5cb3e_z.jpgVolcano Desert

Howard

We did not take our three grandchildren to any specialty restaurants on a recent cruise on the Regal but they were very well behaved in the MDR

This 2 1/2 year old loved the mussels

26495744829_e057102b2c_z.jpgLoves Mussels

The five year old thinking he could devour an entire bowl of spaghetti in one bite.

37561240844_b54057fe10_z.jpgHungry Man

And the four year old loved the shrimp cocktail

38252341992_4918bcd74c_z.jpg

They all loved desert

26495817309_3f0ef5cb3e_z.jpgVolcano Desert

Howard

Your grand children ars so cute!

Your grand children ars so cute!

Thank you!

We had such an enjoyable 11 day cruise with them on the Regal.

They were great on the formal nights and managed to keep their clothes clean

26621527179_02ee1d28ca_z.jpg

They all ran and screamed when grandpa appeared on Halloween

38219237766_7fd7547376_z.jpgGrandpa on Halloween

Our dinner table was for a family of eight.

37561151004_78789d00bc_z.jpgDinner Table

We had a freshly baked Challah bread on our table each evening in the MDR along with a platter of lox, cream cheese, sliced tomatos and onions. They had plenty to munch on while waiting for orders to be delivered to the table by the wait staff.

This thread brings a question to my mind. If you eat in a specialty restaurant with children can you still order the freshly baked Challah, multiple shrimp cocktail, platters of lox all at no extra charge?

Howard

For sure you can take them along.

Our little person is a bit older than yours but an incredibly fussy eater so we feed them first in Horizon Court, then they will chat to us, read or do a puzzle book whilst we eat. Always have plenty of things in your bag to keep them occupied at the table as it can take a while to eat in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have two charming and adorable grandchildren. Our grandson is 7 and our granddaughter is 3. They may be darling but they only last for a certain amount of time in a restaurant. Typically anything more than an hour is not great. I say this because every child is different. You really have to think about how comfortable the children will be in this type of setting.

Please don't take offense, this is not directed at the OP, this is just my opinion and only my opinion and I would like to speak my peace.

I am sure all previous posters who have said that their little Suzies and Sammys are all well behaved and able to endure a 2-3 hour meal in an upscale restaurant, along with informative and pleasant table conversations enjoying steaks and seafoods, of course at a child's price.

Meanwhile, most, and I do say most, adults enjoying a nice steak and seafood dinner and a fraction of the cost of a land side restaurant, intimate atmosphere, cozy table, nice bottle of wine or two and maybe even a memorable moment.

And there lies my frustration. for those who haven't posted here, are probably the ones who do bring their little Suzies and Sammys to a fine dining restaurant and take no control over what these children do. Attitude...they paid...they eat...no matter what. Are these children bored, probably...So while the parents smugly enjoy their Kansas City steak, and the kiddies are playing tag, or using the silverware to play cars on the table, the poor waiter is trying desperately to keep the kiddies quiet, meanwhile that waiter can't take care of the other tables in a timley manner and dinner is taking much longer than necessary.

I, in my opinion, there are venues where taking children are indeed questionable, restaurants are one of them. If I bring my children, dog, pig, or parrot, would I care if I was infringing on someone elses private time. Probably not, but, I don not care for children at a fine dining restaurant and at some point the intrusion would be so much as to interrupt my dinner, I would tell the Matre D to add my bill to that table.

I'm sorry if this is strong, I don't need anyone bashing my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs

One other consideration: will your toddler be happy w/the menu choices in the specialty restaurant? And do you want to pay $20.00+ for a toddler's meal that she/he may not eat?

Enjoy!

Please don't take offense, this is not directed at the OP, this is just my opinion and only my opinion and I would like to speak my peace.

I am sure all previous posters who have said that their little Suzies and Sammys are all well behaved and able to endure a 2-3 hour meal in an upscale restaurant, along with informative and pleasant table conversations enjoying steaks and seafoods, of course at a child's price.

Meanwhile, most, and I do say most, adults enjoying a nice steak and seafood dinner and a fraction of the cost of a land side restaurant, intimate atmosphere, cozy table, nice bottle of wine or two and maybe even a memorable moment.

And there lies my frustration. for those who haven't posted here, are probably the ones who do bring their little Suzies and Sammys to a fine dining restaurant and take no control over what these children do. Attitude...they paid...they eat...no matter what. Are these children bored, probably...So while the parents smugly enjoy their Kansas City steak, and the kiddies are playing tag, or using the silverware to play cars on the table, the poor waiter is trying desperately to keep the kiddies quiet, meanwhile that waiter can't take care of the other tables in a timley manner and dinner is taking much longer than necessary.

I, in my opinion, there are venues where taking children are indeed questionable, restaurants are one of them. If I bring my children, dog, pig, or parrot, would I care if I was infringing on someone elses private time. Probably not, but, I don not care for children at a fine dining restaurant and at some point the intrusion would be so much as to interrupt my dinner, I would tell the Matre D to add my bill to that table.

I'm sorry if this is strong, I don't need anyone bashing my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs

I’m sure they would be happy to move you to a different table.

We took our 1 year old and his 3 year old cousin to crown grill and we had a great dinner. We were seated by the back door and took turns taking the kids out in the hall to let them run around and keep them occupied before eventually falling asleep in their strollers and we ate dinner. I don’t believe the kids were charged but I could be wrong as it was a few years ago. It is definitely a long dinner so be prepared with activities or taking turns with the little one out of the restaurant.

Please don't equate children with animals - really offensive.

We took our 1 year old and his 3 year old cousin to crown grill and we had a great dinner. We were seated by the back door and took turns taking the kids out in the hall to let them run around and keep them occupied before eventually falling asleep in their strollers and we ate dinner. I don’t believe the kids were charged but I could be wrong as it was a few years ago. It is definitely a long dinner so be prepared with activities or taking turns with the little one out of the restaurant.

So, another question I have is (not being a Smarty), how can adults pay for their meals and take small children (possibly pay for theirs as well) to an upscale restaurant (on land as well) and either take toys to entertain them or take turns taking the child(ren)out side to "calm" them. How in the world can that be an enjoyable experience? One eats meal alone, other meal cold, paying for food not eaten....just wondering

It's been my experience/observation that parents of toddlers who are well behaved in restaurants are actually paying attention to and engaging with their children and using the opportunity to reinforce table manners etc already taught at home.

Unruly/disruptive children (of any age) are most likely being ignored by the parents who are either so absorbed in themselves that they do not notice the unruly behavior or simply don't care about the impact on the other diners enjoyment of their meal.

Bravo for those parents who immediately address the unruly/disruptive situation by removing the child from the restaurant but as another poster pointed out - at least one dining experience (theirs) will be disrupted

Why would any toddler want to go thru the experience of sitting thru a lengthy meal in a specialty restaurant.

My thoughts.... well behaved or not... Just don't.

It all depends on your child. If your child is willing to sit through a 2 hour dinner and not start crying or wanting to get down and run around then you will be fine. If your child likes to throw their food and cry and cause a fuss then no. I have a 2 year old grandchild, it would be a nightmare to take him to the Crown Grill. He would not be good for 20 min. I have a 7 month old GC that would be perfectly fine to take. We ate in the Crown Gill on our New Years cruise. Our time was 8:15, we walked out of the restaurant at 10:30. It took that long for meal & desert. This is how I feel. If we are seated next to well behaved children it is a joy to see. If we are seated next to children who are causing a fuss, it does effect the enjoyment of our meal. If you are traveling with friends or family maybe you could trade off for the night.

Very well said. That sums it up quite well.

It's been my experience/observation that parents of toddlers who are well behaved in restaurants are actually paying attention to and engaging with their children and using the opportunity to reinforce table manners etc already taught at home.

Unruly/disruptive children (of any age) are most likely being ignored by the parents who are either so absorbed in themselves that they do not notice the unruly behavior or simply don't care about the impact on the other diners enjoyment of their meal.

Bravo for those parents who immediately address the unruly/disruptive situation by removing the child from the restaurant but as another poster pointed out - at least one dining experience (theirs) will be disrupted

He was upset when his younger brother grabbed his shrimp cocktail

38940502435_7835e9b2f4_z.jpg

Who wouldn't be upset if someone at the table grabbed their shrimp cocktail?

The problem was quickly addressed by the wait staff that quickly brought him an additional shrimp cocktail and the crying immediately stopped. We received many positive comments from nearby tables on how well behaved our grandchildren were.

Howard

so, he has been conditioned to cry to get his way? and the younger brother is allowed to grab others food without asking?

We were in a situation many, many years ago, not on a cruise ship, but in a very nice restaurant. I stated many times, that I didn't think our son was up to this at this time, but my parents insisted, at it was at a table for 7 with also my brother and his wife.

IT happened, I took our son out, after about 10 minutes, my wife came out looking for us, and I stated I was not, under any circumstances going back into that restaurant.

meh -I won't go into any more detail, since I know this post will get nuked, as maybe it should..

so, he has been conditioned to cry to get his way? and the younger brother is allowed to grab others food without asking?

We were in a situation many, many years ago, not on a cruise ship, but in a very nice restaurant. I stated many times, that I didn't think our son was up to this at this time, but my parents insisted, at it was at a table for 7 with also my brother and his wife.

IT happened, I took our son out, after about 10 minutes, my wife came out looking for us, and I stated I was not, under any circumstances going back into that restaurant.

meh -I won't go into any more detail, since I know this post will get nuked, as maybe it should..

So, it sounds to me like you lost out on an adult function because of what sounded like a good idea at the time, turned out wasn't. SO, did your wife continue with her dinner, while you sat in the car, or did you call it a day and call for take out?

I wish you would have finished the story. I do not have kids by choice so I am less tolerant but people have to live and have a right to enjoy themselves PROVIDING their children don't ruin the experience for other people. You did the right thing by taking the child out quickly. Other parents need to learn that what does not bother them can bother others immensely.

IT never sounded like a good idea to me, so I didn't miss out on anything other than a complete waste of time and money - end of story and end of responses

Our daughter and son-in-law handled the issue between the two boys. Sometimes it is between the two boys and their younger sister but she is not afraid to stand up to them. They have a house full of toys but trouble usually starts when one of them grabs a toy with many other toys around and they all want the same toy at the same time.

They are all good kids and on the cruise I was the photographer and grandpa.

Over all it was an excellent cruise, everyone had a good time and there were very few issues and meltdowns with the three kids.

Howard

Table manners should be taught at home before being practiced in public since the process requires repetitive correction, guidance and attention and often results in acting out.

Things like:

- Food and used mussel shells should remain on plates - not thrown on the tablecloth

- One should only put as much food in ones mouth as can be comfortably and politely chewed

- Feet should not be placed on the furniture

- One should not take food from another's plate without being invited

Children are not exempt from manners. It is not "cute".

My kids were much older when I was able to take them on their first cruise. Before hand, they got a crash course on how to behave and dress for dinner (this is when shirts and ties were required). They were told to speak when spoken to, how to order off the MDR menu to the waiter. Answer questions politely and first and foremost.....RESPECT your elders. Which I have to proudly say, they have grown into great adults (sorry mom's bragging) and they DO impose this on their children.

This past Christmas, my son showed me a card an elderly neighbor had given him....with a monetary gift....because he carries her groceries into the house and holds the door open for her, and has brief chats when they pass by.....

IT never sounded like a good idea to me, so I didn't miss out on anything other than a complete waste of time and money - end of story and end of responses

I hate to say it, but I actually love this!!! Hahahaha!!!!!

Been there done that ONCE....

With my absolutely narcissitic and toxic inlaws.

Wasn't even a nice restaurant...

Lovely and wonderful FIL (and MIL) actually delighted in sitting there for hours... FIL's after the meal coffee, then his cigarette(s)... on and on and on, while the situation with our little DS deteriorated further and further... We took turns... Tried to each grab a big bite of cold nasty food and hock it down, between handling DS... I finally just took him outside and waited....

Sorry people, but this kind of a meal is NOT a good idea, it is NOT cute, and it is NOT okay to subject others to.

Even under the best of circumstances.

My earlier post says it all....

Just... Don't.....

i hate to say it, but i actually love this!!! Hahahaha!!!!!

Been there done that once....

With my absolutely narcissitic and toxic inlaws.

Wasn't even a nice restaurant...

Lovely and wonderful fil (and mil) actually delighted in sitting there for hours... Fil's after the meal coffee, then his cigarette(s)... On and on and on, while the situation with our little ds deteriorated further and further... We took turns... Tried to each grab a big bite of cold nasty food and hock it down, between handling ds... I finally just took him outside and waited....

Sorry people, but this kind of a meal is not a good idea, it is not cute, and it is not okay to subject others to.

Even under the best of circumstances.

My earlier post says it all....

Just... Don't.....

like ! and BRAVO!!!!!

I have had far more problems with "adult diners" who needed "taken out" than children. FWIW we have done it both ways We have taken 16 of our grands cruising at one time or another - just 2 at a time) as well as all of our kids when they were at home. Our favorite - the princess babysitting service is incredible and a couple hours of adult time? Amazing. There is no need for parenting advice here (If ind THAT offensive) other than be fair to the kids. Don't forget how toughToddlerhood is...........

Did not read any of the posts...but honestly when the cruise lines started offering discounted rates for children at the specialty restaurants...I take that as" we can accommodate anyone".....it is not open for discussion in MHO.

Why people with young kids have to bring them to a quiet environment like the Specialty restaurants is beyond me.

They can be trained to eat in public at the Horizon buffet where their disruption won't be noticed nearly as much.

People pay good money to have an enjoyable experience in a nice setting & shouldn't be subjected to the disruption which is surely to follow during a 2 1/2 hour meal.

Why people with young kids have to bring them to a quiet environment like the Specialty restaurants is beyond me.

They can be trained to eat in public at the Horizon buffet where their disruption won't be noticed nearly as much.

People pay good money to have an enjoyable experience in a nice setting & shouldn't be subjected to the disruption which is surely to follow during a 2 1/2 hour meal.

Flaming not allowed....as it is totally true. Respect for fellow passengers.

Ditto! Agree 100% with you. What about all the other people who paid for their meal to have a nice romantic evening.

Same goes for the pool. Last cruise we were in the forward pool (adults only) and kids were in there the last sea day taking over swimming and kicking everyone.

Don't even get me going about the kids in diapers that are in the pool or hot tubs. Mother had baby in hot tub and he, well you know, and she no longer used that one but the other one. No wonder there is noro!

We like Princess because there are not many children.