Jump to content

Any NEWS on VV? Please post it here...


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Nightrythm said:

 

In the videos I saw, the windows were large and round. I think the spaces looked dark because the weather in Dover was dark. I'm curious to see how that will all change when we get shots from the Caribbean. 

 

 

Yup that is exactly what I'm hoping.  Unfortunately the design of the ship does have lifeboats right in front of many of the public spaces, so I'm not sure how many direct ocean views there will be.  Hopefully plenty!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, eroller said:

Interesting review from a millennial that has a lot of experience with ships.  As she said, she should be the target audience for VV but the ship missed the mark for her.  She was very honest in her review about what she liked and didn't like.  

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbUa703wG88&fbclid=IwAR0vf1rkcS0IJbc-62oHQHdKfv777P_RcpdRSeNSC9LB4w1Dm2tyfWuddac&app=desktop

 

 

For those interested in the cabins, the reviewer does talk quite a bit about them in her video.  Puzzling is the lack of draw space, charging points only on one side of the bed, low beds so you can't store you cases under them, and most of all the main light switch for the cabin being located in the closet.  The bathroom is VERY small.  

 

And that pool.  So so tiny for thousands of passengers.  This really needs addressing on the next ship.  I just can't imagine what they were thinking.  

 

All in all an interesting video, and from a 25 year old.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, eroller said:

For those interested in the cabins, the reviewer does talk quite a bit about them in her video.  Puzzling is the lack of draw space, charging points only on one side of the bed, low beds so you can't store you cases under them, and most of all the main light switch for the cabin being located in the closet.  The bathroom is VERY small.  

 

And that pool.  So so tiny for thousands of passengers.  This really needs addressing on the next ship.  I just can't imagine what they were thinking.  

 

All in all an interesting video, and from a 25 year old.  

 

 My only theory on the weird switch placement is that rooms will have tablets that control lighting and other stuff, although we haven’t seen these tablets yet.

 

 

C7E89F24-766D-41FB-95F9-EF48BA684B03.jpeg

 

In that same video it seemed to me there was space/shelving above the clothes rod where suitcases can go.

 

As for lack of drawers and small bathroom, I’ve got nothing. I don’t normally sail in that class of room. (I’m either in tiny solo rooms, which I know how to pack for (no drawers in NCL studios) or suites if not traveling alone.)

Edited by AlyssaJames
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eroller said:

 

 

For those interested in the cabins, the reviewer does talk quite a bit about them in her video.  Puzzling is the lack of draw space, charging points only on one side of the bed, low beds so you can't store you cases under them, and most of all the main light switch for the cabin being located in the closet.  The bathroom is VERY small.  

 

And that pool.  So so tiny for thousands of passengers.  This really needs addressing on the next ship.  I just can't imagine what they were thinking.  

 

All in all an interesting video, and from a 25 year old.  

Was a great, honest video about the ship, and the room-- If you watch this before you sail, you can plan and pack appropriatly.. Nuts not to have side table for bed, but I will deal with it..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awkward shot because she’s got fisheye view on, but I think the luggage goes up here. (Edit: nope. There’s some storage, but the closet curtain rod would block you getting big stuff up there. I guess it really does have to go in the closet. The person from that one thread about luggage space is going to be annoyed.)

 

 

488CEEDA-AC2E-4FE3-B697-FD59F8959C90.png

Edited by AlyssaJames
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eroller said:

 

 

For those interested in the cabins, the reviewer does talk quite a bit about them in her video.  Puzzling is the lack of draw space, charging points only on one side of the bed, low beds so you can't store you cases under them, and most of all the main light switch for the cabin being located in the closet.  The bathroom is VERY small.  

 

And that pool.  So so tiny for thousands of passengers.  This really needs addressing on the next ship.  I just can't imagine what they were thinking.  

 

All in all an interesting video, and from a 25 year old.  

 

Problem is the review is not accurate at all. You can have your own opinion but you can't just make things up. 

 

First she talks about no bedside tables and a place to put her phone on. In the video there is clearly a bedside table (which is movable) and has her phone on it right next to the bed. There is also a permanent very large lower table to the right hand side of the bed which she could have put her glass on rather than the arm rest on the left hand side. Yes it is differnt but clealry there are 2 usable beside tables for drinks and phones. 

 

Next she states there is only one plug on one side (the left) of the bed. There is another plug about 2 feet away from the right hand side of the bed you can see in the video. So there are plugs on both sides of the bed or within reasonable cord length. 

 

Okay there are no drawers but there are lots of small shelves in the closet. Serve the same purpose. Personally I prefer a shelf so I can see where everything is. 

 

She shows how the luggage won't fit under the bed but the bed is in the sofa formation (looks like one bag will fit). If you slide it into the double bed formation the there would be room for 2 bags under it. 

 

Yes the bathroom is small but the x large balcony suite has a larger bathroom as do all the suites.  

 

She was obsessed with the light switch behind cloths in the closet but she is the one who pushed her 2 jackets against the light switch and pushed the curtain to the end to cover it. She deliberately covered the switch. You could easily just pull your cloths and curtain back 6 inches to allow access if you really wanted to use the light switch. But the lights are controlled by the tablet and are automatic. They turn on and off automatically when you come and go. Your room key or sensors know when you are there. There is also light switches beside the bed in addition to the tablet. There is no need to use the light switch at the door. 

 

She doesn't like the restaurant booths because people have to move to get in and out if there are more than 2 people. That is the way booths work. People seem to like them because I see them in restaurants everywhere and they are the first table to go.  

 

She calls the food court a buffet but it is clearly a food court concept with different quick service restaurants. Would you call a food court in a mall a buffet?  Nope, a buffet has trays of prepared food with spoons and tongs. Nothing like that is on Virgin that I have seen. 

 

She states there in only 1 pool for 4000 people when the ship holds max 2800 people and she shows 2 pools in her video. Then she states most ships have 5 pools. I am not aware of any mid size ships that have 5 pools. Most have 2. 

 

She concludes she would take this cruise if it was priced similar to RCL or Norwegian and says 4 night cruises start at $1400. I am not sure if she is referring to a balcony cabin for 2 people on the pricing but pricing would be similar if you include the drinks, tipping, specialty meals and wifi on RCL or NCL.  

 

Contrary to what she states she is not the target market. Virgin is not targeting 25 years olds who have taken 27 cruises already who think $1400 is too expensive for a cruise. She is exactly what they are not targeting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

 

 

As for lack of drawers and small bathroom, I’ve got nothing. I don’t normally sail in that class of room. (I’m either in tiny solo rooms, which I know how to pack for (no drawers in NCL studios) or suites if not traveling alone.)

 

 

Sounds like you will be fine.  My husband not so much.  He is a big over-packer and would give Imelda Marcos a run for her money when it comes to shoes.  He is all about fashion and always packs a ton.  Me, I could certainly make do, especially on the shorter cruises that SCARLET LADY will sail on.  Now a longer Med cruise on VALIANT LADY might pose a problem.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, westguy99 said:

 

She concludes she would take this cruise if it was priced similar to RCL or Norwegian and says 4 night cruises start at $1400. I am not sure if she is referring to a balcony cabin for 2 people on the pricing but pricing would be similar if you include the drinks, tipping, specialty meals and wifi on RCL or NCL.  


I did catch some of the inconsistencies you mentioned, including complaining she can’t afford Virgin but then later explaining her lengthy cruise pedigree including luxury brands. I had wondered if it was a hit piece or something, but I’m really looking forward to VV, so I know I’m biased.

 

I can’t tell if that round smaller water feature is a second pool or a big hot tub?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, westguy99 said:

 

 

 

Next she states there is only one plug on one side (the left) of the bed. There is another plug about 2 feet away from the right hand side of the bed you can see in the video. So there are plugs on both sides of the bed or within reasonable cord length. 

 

 

She shows how the luggage won't fit under the bed but the bed is in the sofa formation (looks like one bag will fit). If you slide it into the double bed formation the there would be room for 2 bags under it. 

 

 

 

She was obsessed with the light switch behind cloths in the closet but she is the one who pushed her 2 jackets against the light switch and pushed the curtain to the end to cover it. 

 

 

The outlet on the other side of the bed would be too far for my standard iPhone cord.  But at least it's there.  

 

I agree there is the bedside movable table.  She should have mentioned that as you can clearly see it.  

 

The beds look too low to fit my bag at least.  I suppose it all depends on the size of your bag.  

 

Regardless of where the jackets are placed in the closet, putting the DND button and light switch inside the closet is just plain stupid.  I'm guessing most people will have clothes in the closet, and will have to push them aside to get to the switch.  Yes there will be a tablet that can control lighting, but that doesn't really help when you return to the cabin at night and the cabin is dark ... unless some nightlight comes on when the door is opened or the lights are turned off.  

 

Yes this is one persons viewpoint.  Personally I think she has some valid points but of course not everyone will agree with them.  Each person of course will make have their own opinions regarding the ship and experience.  

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eroller said:

t people will have clothes in the closet, and will have to push them aside to get to the switch.  Yes there will be a tablet that can control lighting, but that doesn't really help when you return to the cabin at night and the cabin is dark ...


That poster did say the lights come on automatically. Maybe there is motion sensing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

 

 

I can’t tell if that round smaller water feature is a second pool or a big hot tub?

 

 

It's a big hot tub.  There is seating in the center (X-shape) and around the outside.  You won't be able to swim it in.  Just sit in it like a regular hot tub.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:


That poster did say the lights come on automatically. Maybe there is motion sensing.

 

 

That wouldn't surprise me, as the ship is very environmentally forward thinking.  In that case the light switch placement won't be an issue ... but putting the DND and Make up Cabin switches in the closet is still poor planning.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The outlet is about 1.5 feet from the headboard and 2 feet from the second side table. A standard iphone cable is 3 feet. 

 

The closet is adjustable. The curtain can slide away from the wall. She set the curtain and clothes to block the switch for the video. Regardless the lights are automatic. They turn on automatically when you enter the room and turn off after you leave. New technology. These type of lighting is common now. As a bonus you adjust the light brightness and mood with the tablet as well I suspect the DND. There is a switch beside the bed for turning on and off at night with ease. Hard to believe someone could spend 5 minutes on the lights without mentioning any of the cool features like the tablet controls, mood lighting, automatic on/off, etc. If given the choice between this set up and a standard old cruse line set up no comparison. Anyone who thinks differently is not Virgins target market. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, eroller said:

 

 

It's a big hot tub.  There is seating in the center (X-shape) and around the outside.  You won't be able to swim it in.  Just sit in it like a regular hot tub.  

 

If you come on a boat to swim in the pool you are not Virgins target market. The only thing more irritating than kids in a trendy pools is the person doing laps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, westguy99 said:

 

If you come on a boat to swim in the pool you are not Virgins target market. The only thing more irritating than kids in a trendy pools is the person doing laps. 

 

 

I'm so glad we have the authority here of who Virgin's target market is.  

 

Swimming doesn't have to mean doing laps, which is not easy to do in any cruise ship pool.  But having a pool that holds more than a few people on a ship that carries almost 3000 pax and will be cruising the hot Caribbean is probably not asking too much.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, westguy99 said:

Richard Branson has said who his target market is. Do you think it is you or the 27 cruises Vlogger? I don't. 

 

 

You don't know squat about me.  Regardless if I'm the target market or not, I'll sail on Virgin if I want to.  The target market doesn't dictate my interests.  Thankfully I'm not so easily defined.  

 

Judging from your posts and that fact you're posting on CC, I'm guessing you're not the target market.  Or perhaps you work for Virgin defending their honor so vigorously?  Welcome to Cruise Critic.  

 

 

Edited by eroller
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched another video from another couple of bloggers. It was nice to see more of the ship that the previous video.
 

 

 

The previous video seemed over the top picky. No storage? I see plenty of shelves and that closet is massive. Although i dont like the curtain. No charging points? I see one on each side of the bed and on the desk. Cant find the light switch? As someone mentioned earlier The room has a i-pad that controls everything but they where not set up yet. You can see in this video the lights turn on automatically when they opened the door. I agree that the bathrooms are too small though. 

My biggest concern from the lady's video was her saying the chairs where small and lack of accessibility. I was really worried as I am bigger guy but I can see lots of different chairs form this video.

Feeling a little better now about sailing on her later this year. I am still holding out judgement until i have experience it myself and see what she is actually going to be like on a proper sailing. 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dancarebear said:

I just watched another video from another couple of bloggers. It was nice to see more of the ship that the previous video.
 

 

 

The previous video seemed over the top picky. No storage? I see plenty of shelves and that closet is massive. Although i dont like the curtain. No charging points? I see one on each side of the bed and on the desk. Cant find the light switch? As someone mentioned earlier The room has a i-pad that controls everything but they where not set up yet. You can see in this video the lights turn on automatically when they opened the door. I agree that the bathrooms are too small though. 

My biggest concern from the lady's video was her saying the chairs where small and lack of accessibility. I was really worried as I am bigger guy but I can see lots of different chairs form this video.

Feeling a little better now about sailing on her later this year. I am still holding out judgement until i have experience it myself and see what she is actually going to be like on a proper sailing. 


 

After watching that video I think she looks fantastic and would really appeal to me.  I cannot wait to sail on her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dancarebear said:

I just watched another video from another couple of bloggers. It was nice to see more of the ship that the previous video.
 

 

 

The previous video seemed over the top picky. No storage? I see plenty of shelves and that closet is massive. Although i dont like the curtain. No charging points? I see one on each side of the bed and on the desk. Cant find the light switch? As someone mentioned earlier The room has a i-pad that controls everything but they where not set up yet. You can see in this video the lights turn on automatically when they opened the door. I agree that the bathrooms are too small though. 

My biggest concern from the lady's video was her saying the chairs where small and lack of accessibility. I was really worried as I am bigger guy but I can see lots of different chairs form this video.

Feeling a little better now about sailing on her later this year. I am still holding out judgement until i have experience it myself and see what she is actually going to be like on a proper sailing. 


 

 

 

LOVED the video and these guys are great!  Very entertaining to watch.   No doubt the ship has some really cool spaces and some really entertaining features.  The Manor without question will be the best nightclub at sea, and all the restaurant choices are pretty amazing.  Even the light switch in the closet doesn't seem like a big deal at all, although it's still a little odd ... but quirky can be a great and fun thing!   

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eroller said:

 

 

LOVED the video and these guys are great!  Very entertaining to watch.   No doubt the ship has some really cool spaces and some really entertaining features.  The Manor without question will be the best nightclub at sea, and all the restaurant choices are pretty amazing.  Even the light switch in the closet doesn't seem like a big deal at all, although it's still a little odd ... but quirky can be a great and fun thing!   

Just watched the whole video and it's pretty amusing what a different tone it was compared to Emma Cruises video of the ship. I have never seen Emma's other cruiseship videos and I have only seen one other Ben and Dave video and it was about Scarlet Lady so I don't know if that's just each person's personality and perspective on things.

It was interesting to see the elaborate video setup Ben and Dave uses (a gimbal stabilizer so no shaky videos!) which accounts for the high quality video.

 

After their take on the Balcony cabin I still can't be overly excited about the setup. With regard to the main light switch position it was clearly a cost decision to place it there. The most Logical place to place those switches is on the wall that's part of the bathroom but of course that's additional wiring complexity and costs. That's where similar controls are place on the Celebrity Edge cabins.

 

I found their discussion on the spaciousness of the cabin a bit false since it's clearly not as spacious as many existing balcony cabins on other cruiselines where they can offer a large sofa AND a bed AND some sort of dresser drawer space.

I also find their dismissive take on the bathroom size disingenuous since there are many cruiseship designs that clearly have larger bathrooms in non-suite cabins. 

 

What seems very clear to me is that one of the main positives on the scarlet Lady is going to be the food offerings and the seemingly creative and quality choices that are presented. 

 

As someone who enjoys working out daily even on my cruise vacations I look forward to using the facilities on the Scarlett Lady. It was interesting and refreshing to see that Lockers are available for use in the Fitness Center but what that signals is that there's no Single Sex Locker Rooms designated for use outside of the Thermal Suite. That seems to be a common trend in new ship design and refurbs. What that means is that you must be dressed in your workout clothes when you head to the gym and then go back to your cabin to shower after your workout. On cruiseships where there are locker rooms that have complimentary access it is common for people traveling together and getting ready for dinner for one or more people to use the shower facilities in the locker room so that everyone can be ready at the same time. Sadly this is no longer possible now on most new builds and refurbs (Looking at you Royal!)

 

With regard to the overall Aesthetics of the ship it is clearly a late 60's-70's design scheme. I think it's beautiful but I can understand why some may regard it as cold. I can sense a Department Store 'Feel' to it. For those who are from the New York Metropolitan area and are of the age where they remember Bloomingdales Department Store in the 70's the videos of the Scarlet Lady take me back to that era where it was the most trendsetting retail store in the world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Just watched the whole video and it's pretty amusing what a different tone it was compared to Emma Cruises video of the ship. I have never seen Emma's other cruiseship videos and I have only seen one other Ben and Dave video and it was about Scarlet Lady so I don't know if that's just each person's personality and perspective on things.

 

 

 

 

 

I enjoyed each video and they both presented some interesting perspectives from different viewpoints.  I think one was probably overly negative and one overly positive.  The real deal is probably somewhere in between.  Like everything in life, there are things you're going to like and other things you won't.  The boys were very excited and I'm not sure they would say anything too negative.  I get the feeling they have been following VV since the beginning, and are probably heavily invested in the line.  I tend to take most of these inaugural visit videos with a grain of salt.  They are generally travel agents that have been invited free of charge to experience the ship and promote it.  Many will not say anything too negative for fear of not being invited to the next inaugural, or losing some kind of preferred status with the line.  The same can be said for some professional ship reviewers.  They can be bias as they too are invited free of charge, and they go from ship to ship touting all the new vessels.  They too don't want to lose a free ride.   The most realistic reviews will come from paying passengers.     

 

I have yet to find the perfect cruise ship, but some are far more geared towards my personal taste than others.  I'm fairly torn with SCARLET LADY.  There are aspects of the ship and experience I find truly fantastic, and others that leave me puzzled as to what they were thinking.  They hired all designers that never worked on cruise ships before.  I can understand that rationale as of course they wanted to present something completely different.  Out of the box so to speak.  The negative is that they probably missed some pretty obvious stuff that experienced designers on ships never would have.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, eroller said:

The boys were very excited and I'm not sure they would say anything too negative.  I get the feeling they have been following VV since the beginning, and are probably heavily invested in the line.

 

They were some of the few 'social media influencers' who were allowed to go into the fake stateroom/warehouse sets and shoot footage for their YouTube channel last year (basically a commercial filmed in a soundstage):

 

shorturl.at/osG16


So they're basically brand ambassadors. I did appreciate their counterpoints to the other walkthrough. 

Edited by AlyssaJames
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eroller said:

I have yet to find the perfect cruise ship, but some are far more geared towards my personal taste than others.  I'm fairly torn with SCARLET LADY.  There are aspects of the ship and experience I find truly fantastic, and others that leave me puzzled as to what they were thinking.  They hired all designers that never worked on cruise ships before.  I can understand that rationale as of course they wanted to present something completely different.  Out of the box so to speak.  The negative is that they probably missed some pretty obvious stuff that experienced designers on ships never would have.  

Celebrity did the same when designing the Edge Class Ship and you see the vitriol that has generated on the Celebrity board to the extent that they have nasty nicknames for Interior Designer Kelly Hoppen. 

While I see nothing wrong with hiring design teams that are not expert in cruiseship design, having been on the Edge twice and it being one of my favorite cruise ships (I'll be on the Apex in Nov) some interior design choices were obviously not properly vetted. Things such as a lacquered pressed wood side table in the Infinite Veranda that was ALREADY chipped on our first visit which was the INAUGURAL Eastern Caribbean Cruise and only the second week long cruise the ship ever sailed. Additionally the White upholstery on the outdoor seating in the Rooftop Garden was stained with soot from the nearby smokestacks -this is on an Inaugural cruise! I'm sure there are many times design choices were critiqued but overruled by the Design team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...