BJLord

Martin and Jan's Journey on the QM2

Thanks for posting this. I generally find blogs difficult to read as English is my second language and when the written text is poor it’s quite tricky to keep up. However this gentleman is an excellent writer.

Thank you so much for this! My favorite ship and a voyage I hope to be able to take myself one day.

I shall be reading with delight.

Is anyone aware of similar blogs from other Worldcruisers on QV and QE? Enjoyed a short overview from LadyL1 on the first leg of the QV's trip to Port Canaveral but haven't discovered any others. So enjoyed the blogs from Roscoe39 and Safarigal on the QV's cruise last year!

Oh my goodness!!!!! I did the WC on QM2/QE/QM2 in 2016 and you have stirred up not only my wonderful memories BUT a hankering to try it again in a couple of years! I’ll do it if I can put the coins together-it is an awesome experience and Cunard is first rate. I’ll be following in memory, envy and hope! Have a grand time:D

The only other one that I know of for Cunard is http://www.2018worldadventure.blogspot.com. They are leaving on February 5th on the QE for 21 days from San Francisco to Sydney, doing a period of land travel in Oz and then rejoining the ship in Singapore.

There are many people doing blogs from HAL's Amsterdam.

The only other one that I know of for Cunard is www.2018worldadventure.blogspot.com. They are leaving on February 5th on the QE for 21 days from San Francisco to Sydney, doing a period of land travel in Oz and then rejoining the ship in Singapore.

sigh Patti...its does bring back memories.....cant wait to do it again....

sigh Patti...its does bring back memories.....cant wait to do it again....

I need a "like" button. We both should be on the QV or QE right now. ~Patti

The only other one that I know of for Cunard is http://www.2018worldadventure.blogspot.com. They are leaving on February 5th on the QE for 21 days from San Francisco to Sydney, doing a period of land travel in Oz and then rejoining the ship in Singapore.

This blog by Martin & Jan is by far our favorite of all the world cruise diaries. No constant bragging about one’s status with the cruise line or missive’s that they’ve been to a certain port a thousand times before. This blog has encouraged us to give Cunard a “test drive” next year! Thanks Martin!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a quick reply to thank you and to say I'm following your superbly-written posts as you take us along on your voyage.

(and to bump to post)

- Mark

What a charming blog. Thank you Martin and Jan. I shall be joining the ship soon for just a few days but am looking forward to it all the more since you’ve set the scene so vividly with your delightful turns of phrase.

Don't often read blogs, but I took some time here today. Very nice, well done.

Most enjoyable------ My friend and I join the QM2 in Hong Kong on 3/31, and stay aboard till Southampton.....and we look forward to meeting you.

Thanks Martin, really enjoying your blog. Chris and I joining the ship in Sydney and looking forward to sailing on QM2 for the first time. Maybe we will meet up on Deck 6-7 aft !!!

Karen

Thank you all for these very welcome comments. I hope you all continue to enjoy the blog. Don’t hesitate to use the comments box on the blog if you have any questions.

Thanks for taking time to write about your world cruise. Since it’s likely I will never be fortunate enough to sail a world cruise myself, I am happy to vicariously join you and look forward to your posts

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m really enjoying reading the blog, thank you for writing it and taking us along for the ride!

OK, does anyone but me get worried when there hasn’t been an update for a few days and know the QM2 is in a really amazing spot? OK, just me, then... I am loving this blog.

Have to agree! Martin has certainly under-anticipated the interest in his travel diary. No doubt just taking a break and we will hear from him shortly particularly with the Suez Canal coming up. :)

Hi - I just wanted to say thank you very much for your interesting and very informative blog. I think you will be leaving the ship in Southampton just as we will be boarding for our TA round trip in just under two weeks' time. We are really excited now and are better informed about what to expect from reading about your experiences and looking at your photos.

Thanks again - Jo :D

Gosh! The memories of my WC on QE flood back-I’m saving my few pennies for a part of one - unless I hit the Lottery:D then I can take a whole one again! I’ll be on QM2 later this year and the fine pictures in this blog heighten my anticipation. Thanks to you both for sharing your wonderful time and observations. :D

I have read your post on missing ports on the world cruise.

We were on last years world cruise from Sydney to Shanghai a 21 day segment.

We missed three ports. The first one was Cairns we were supposed to anchor and tender. We did anchor Immigration officials boarded the ship and processed our passports we did not tender. No explanation was given.

We were supposed to go to BruneiThe stop was cancelled they had not dredged the harbour!!!!.

The next port that was cancelled was Taiwan. We had an extra day at sea on the way to Hong Kong.

As you have pointed out this is very poor planning by Cunard.

There were only 200 people doing the full world cruise

It was very much a segmental trip with a large number of passengers constantly getting on and off.

Food in the Brittanica dining room was poor with poor selection.

The entertainment was poor with the exception of the special lecturers. The cruise director was seldom seen.

I am not surprised that a number of people wanted to leave the ship

Very poor organisation by Cunard.

I have absolutely loved this wonderful blog! Thanks for posting it, Martin. We are hoping for a QM2 2021 World Cruise, and I have loved traveling vicariously with you and Jan. Your style of touring the ports seems very much like what we will do, partly out of necessity, as our son uses a wheelchair and may not be able to do many excursions (or tenders). Still, your walk around, find some coffee and Internet, do some exploring, grab a bite to eat and a refreshing beverage routine sounds just lovely. I hope you've enjoyed your adventure!

Great blog, have commented on it. Thank you and safe return to merry olde England.

Many thanks, Martin, for taking the time to create such an interesting blog. We are very interested for a couple of reasons. First, we have sailed on six different lines but never Cunard. We will be doing a crossing later this year so have been paying close attention all comments about the ship. Second, we enjoy your take on the ports we have been to and perhaps even more, your take on ports we have not yet visited. Much appreciated, thanks again.

Welcome home tomorrow Martin and Jan and thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Loved your final thoughts, thank you for posting.

I'm sure you mentioned it but how many full world cruisers were on board ?

I will in all probability never go on a world cruise but thank you Martin and Jan for allowing me to follow yours. I have loved reading the blog and I love your zest for doing things off piest. Welcome home.

@HostHattie forgive me for answering for someone else but quoted in the blog "300 or so full world cruisers"