Escape The Big Top

CruisingSince1982

We did it on the Breakaway in December, and won! Apparently one other group had won before us on our cruise, and it is so rare for them to have two winners that they hadn't even brought prizes for our group. It was definitely challenging. Some of the puzzles were a bit "out there" and there was a trick to it. We had a group of 8, including my 12 and 14 yr olds. I think it helped to have the kids, because they looked at things from a completely different perspective, and solved a couple of the puzzles on their own, that were beyond us. :P

It was a lot of fun, but could definitely get frustrating depending on your group. You can select members and build your own team, but if you don't have a full 8 people, they add individuals to your group. We had a group of 6, and luckily the two "stragglers" they added to our group were a huge asset.

If you've done an escape room off-ship before, it's a different experience. Usually escape rooms are just that, a room with built-in puzzles that you have to solve to escape. This one was held in the Big Top where cirque takes place, so it obviously had to be temporary. They dealt with this by using props. You receive a bag of props which includes various puzzles, but no real instruction on how it all fits together. Around the room were 5 posters and 3 carnival-style games. Each one of them was a clue to the final solution. Some of the puzzles were quite tricky, and we almost messed up at the end because the final solution has something to do with colors, and the guy on our team reading the solution seemed to be a bit color-blind! Either that, or the lighting made it hard to differentiate between orange and red. Watch for that. :)

Definitely different than an escape room on land but it was a fun way to spend an hour. There were many groups of 8, maybe 10 or 12? All in the room at the same time. Sign up at the box office as soon as you get on the ship, it sells out quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is there a max amount of people? We have 14 in our group.

"Escape the Big Top" turned out to be challenging and fun. it is well worth a try. Sells out very fast. They let standbys in 10 minutes to show time.

There were 11 teams of 8 people in our room.

Solve the puzzles to get out before the 45 minute timer expires.

One team solved the mystery at the 38 minute mark. And won a prize.

We did it back in October. I loved the idea- but when a group solved it in 10 minutes it makes you wonder if they recycle ideas. It was sad- we didn’t even have time to get to all the puzzles and they were up there announcing how it worked.

We did it back in October. I loved the idea- but when a group solved it in 10 minutes it makes you wonder if they recycle ideas. It was sad- we didn’t even have time to get to all the puzzles and they were up there announcing how it worked.

It sounds a little chaotic - with so many teams in the same room!

I do believe it is the same puzzle across the fleet.

Very challenging. You could kind of tell that the team that won when we played had done it before. No prizes were given.

Our group of five was paired with another family, who had four people.

Someone had to have done it on a previous cruise to do that in 10 minutes. That's a shame, because they ruined it for everyone else.

I got 3 water bottles for winning 80s music trivia night on the Getaway a few years ago, so now I don't feel as bad about losing this. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It all depends who you are with.  If you are grouped with people you do not know, it may be awkward.  Some people just like to suck the fun out of everything!  That is a risk you take.  AGH!

I did not enjoy it because of the Group I was with.  Total fun-suckers and WAY TOO SERIOUS!

If you are grouped with people you know, it would be a hoot and tons of fun!  This is something NO ONE talks about.

Good luck and have fun!!

Just my experience as a Solo Traveler and would never do it again (for fear of the fun suckers).  LOL!

🙂

12 hours ago, Suna said:

When signing up, does everyone in your party need to go sign up or can one person sign up everyone? A couple cabins.

One person can sign up. All of the lists will be in the box office (or equivalent) on embarkation day. 

Make sure you are all on the same table on the sign up. 

We participated last year on the Epic and had a lot of fun.  Going on the Breakaway next week.  Has the puzzle changed or would it be the same?  Don’t want to waste our time - or ruin it for others - if we already know the answers!

We’ve Done it. It’s ok it’s not like the traditional Escape room you’re in the same room with 4-5 different teams. It’s very difficult only one team finished. When one team finishes they stop the whole thing and give you the answers. It’s a cool/ challenging thing to do with your family and bonus it’s free!!! 

We did it, and it was a fun way to spend some time with the young adults in the family.  As for how often it happens...I had the impression that they added times when the original times posted filled up.

we all ran around. Parents , kids & grandkids were at a table with another parent n child. The kids had fun running around getting clues together...Found out later on the my son ( the magician ) & son-in-law ( engineer ) , kind of figured the room out , but waited to run with the solution till the bitter end to unlock the answer ! Really ??

But truly a fun time. The Breakaway Escape was in the mid morning not during the evening.