roxievegas

Confused with Coffee Card use

our first princess cruise is coming up and considering getting one coffee card. confused with the wording of "unlimited brewed coffee". My husband likes brewed and I like latte's. If he goes to get me a latte, can he get himself a brewed coffee at the same time, and is he just charged (or one punch) for the latte.

we are on a 28 day cruise, and would prefer not to have daily charges for one or two coffees a day on our acct - we are not getting a drink package.

if hubby goes to get a coffee for himself, gets a brewed, do they punch the card ?

thank you for any explaination

our first princess cruise is coming up and considering getting one coffee card. confused with the wording of "unlimited brewed coffee". My husband likes brewed and I like latte's. If he goes to get me a latte, can he get himself a brewed coffee at the same time, and is he just charged (or one punch) for the latte.

we are on a 28 day cruise, and would prefer not to have daily charges for one or two coffees a day on our acct - we are not getting a drink package.

if hubby goes to get a coffee for himself, gets a brewed, do they punch the card ?

I might be wrong but regular brewed coffee is available in the cafe/buffet area for free. Specialty coffee is not free. I was considering getting the coffee card also until I saw the prices of the coffee. They aren’t very inexpensive especially compared to Starbucks.

I searched for coffee prices online for princess star and finally came across a menu they were around two dollars and under. I figured it wasn’t worth getting the coffee card.

Here is something i found

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/ships/products/menus/Coffee-and-Cones-Menu.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As I understand the rules, the card allows you unlimited fresh brewed coffee, but specialty coffees are a punch. If your card is older (from an earlier cruise) then they are supposed to punch for all coffee.

In practice, on my 2 recent cruises, I was able to get coffee for 2 of us (hubby and me) that was fresh brewed, with old cards and no punches. Half the time, they didn't even look at the card or seem to care.

This is exactly our situation. Coffee for me, a caramel latte for the wife. We are never refused the combo, but the latte gets a punch.

In my experience also (Star, Oct 2017) - if you want two brewed coffees at the same time (one for you, one for wife) they will give you one "free" and punch for the other one.

The unlimited coffee is just for the person buying the coffee card. The punches can be used for anything from a brewed coffee for someone else or for a latte or other specialty coffee.

The unlimited coffee is just for the person buying the coffee card. The punches can be used for anything from a brewed coffee for someone else or for a latte or other specialty coffee.

Excellent explanation. I concur

thank you for your help. I am going to get one card before sailing and see how it goes.

thank you for your help. I am going to get one card before sailing and see how it goes.

Several suggestions here:

1. Have your husband buy the card. That way, he will be entitled to the "fresh brewed coffee" per policy. He can then "buy" you as many lattes as he wants to as a "gift" from his card. MDR coffee on most of the ships are a concentrated syrup. Not very tasty in my opinion.

2. Buy the card from a staff member on board. They will earn the "credit" and you will be a star for a minute.

All you need is one new card for fresh brewed for one and specialty coffees (with a punch) for the other. However I'm not sure if one card of punches will get you through 28 days.

So you can get 2 lattes from one card

Cheers

Yes, you can get 2 lattes from one card, and the card will be punched twice. You can get one brewed coffee and one latte and the card will be punched once. AND there are 2 sizes of lattes. They are the same "one punch" cost, so may as well go for the bigger one!

Pam said it best--the brewed coffee or tea is for one person; hypothetically the person buying the card. You can give someone else a latte from your card, but you can't get two "free" fresh brews at the same time as they would not both be for you. And the free fresh brews are supposedly only while you have punches remaining on your card. Once that last punch is used, the card is dead.

Do they do a punch for iced coffee or is that considered regular coffee?

Yes...You can get regular brewed "iced" coffee for free.

If you want an iced coffee made from espresso, then they will punch your card.

Just to be clear, the only place you can get real "brewed" coffee is at the International Cafe. The buffet serves coffee that is made from a Nestle syrup or concentrate.

Just to be clear, the only place you can get real "brewed" coffee is at the International Cafe. The buffet serves coffee that is made from a Nestle syrup or concentrate.
Just to be clear, it depends on the ship. Some ships do have brewed coffee in the buffet. On other ships, the coffee from concentrate is fine for most passengers. Coffee, and food, is subjective. What one hates, others like.

I bought a coffee card on my cruise on the regal in the fall of 2016, I would go to the International Cafe each morning for 2 fresh-brewed coffees to go. maybe twice they punched the card for the second coffee. By the end of the cruise I used maybe 5 punches for some specialty coffees and the couple they charged me for.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, I sailed on the Regal again. The first day they punched two holes for the to go coffees. They punched it again a few days later. That's all. I still have 10 or so punches left.

Do they still give you a free mug if you buy the coffee card onboard? And also, is the hot chocolate from the coffee bar included?

Hello Roxie,

May I suggest this? Just get two coffee cards. It amounts to a buck and a quarter a day on a 28 day cruise. You both can have a latte every other day and all of the fresh brewed, really good teas and hot chocolates that you want. It truly is a good deal for for those that enjoy a better cup of coffee, tea hot chocolate and the occasional specialty coffee. I was able to gift several cruisers with coffee that would otherwise go on their charge with the extra punches on my older card. I got the idea from someone else on the board. Getting the two cards really removes the guess work out of the equation.

since I will have some OBC - what staff can I purchase the cards from once on board ?? - any staff member? or at the coffee station ?

I will follow "tailspintom" advice and purchase two - just in case hubby not around when I want my latte

thank you all for the information

Yes' date=' you can get 2 lattes from one card, and the card will be punched twice. You can get one brewed coffee and one latte and the card will be punched once. AND there are 2 sizes of lattes. They are the same "one punch" cost, so may as well go for the bigger one!

Pam said it best--the brewed coffee or tea is for one person; hypothetically the person buying the card. You can give someone else a latte from your card, but you can't get two "free" fresh brews at the same time as they would not both be for you. And the free fresh brews are supposedly only while you have punches remaining on your card. Once that last punch is used, the card is dead.[/quote']

The card is dead for unlimited brewed coffee only after the end of the cruise even if there are no remaining punches during the cruise.

since I will have some OBC - what staff can I purchase the cards from once on board ?? - any staff member? or at the coffee station ?

a) any bar

b) at special tables on embarkation day

c) from waiters hawking the card in the buffet on embarkation day

I was consideri g the coffee card and the guy said just get one and share it. We sometimes both had latte and other times just both had tea or hot chocolate (no punch). No problem.

After reading all these posts i decided to get a coffee card!

Fast question....I see you can purchase the coffee card prior to the cruise...and also the water package.,can you use your onboard free credits to pay for it, or do you have to "pay" for it, without your on board credit.......is the price different on the cruise? or the same?

Fast question....I see you can purchase the coffee card prior to the cruise...and also the water package.,can you use your onboard free credits to pay for it, or do you have to "pay" for it, without your on board credit.......is the price different on the cruise? or the same?

My understanding and experience--the water package is not offered on board. If you want it, you need to purchase it in advance. Coffee cards are the same price whether purchased on board or in advance. If you buy it in advance, you pay with your credit card. If you buy it on the ship, you will make a crew member very happy (they get credit for selling it to you) and you can pay for it with your OBC.

Water package is only available prior to cruise but coffee card can be purchased on board and most likely you can use your onboard credits.

Hello Roxie,

May I suggest this? Just get two coffee cards. It amounts to a buck and a quarter a day on a 28 day cruise. You both can have a latte every other day and all of the fresh brewed, really good teas and hot chocolates that you want. It truly is a good deal for for those that enjoy a better cup of coffee, tea hot chocolate and the occasional specialty coffee. I was able to gift several cruisers with coffee that would otherwise go on their charge with the extra punches on my older card. I got the idea from someone else on the board. Getting the two cards really removes the guess work out of the equation.

As an Aussie, I always have a smile at the term "specialty coffee". To us, Cappuccino's, Latte's, Flat White's, etc are just normal coffee. That's all you will find in any cafe or restaurant here. When doing a tour of Canada and the US a few months ago, the Aussies in the group were always harrassing the poor tour guide as to where we could get "proper" coffee. In the end she was telling us before we had to ask! :D Then I had to giggle when in New York, I was walking down 8th Avenue and came across a cafe with a sign in the window "Yes we do have proper coffee". What really amazed me though was that when I could actually find a Flat White, it usually cost more than the Latte! Not sure how that works!

I found the coffee (both that stuff in the buffet and the brewed variety) on Diamond Princess to be undrinkable, and it would have been a coffee-free cruise for me if not for the Coffee Card. HAL and Celebrity I find to be a little better. At least it's drinkable, but to call it coffee is criminal!! ;p

Is the brewed coffee at the espresso stand far superior to what is offered at the buffet? I love dark roast coffee in the morning.

Do they do a punch for iced coffee or is that considered regular coffee?

I only drink ice coffee and never received a punch for it...:):):)

Tony

I only drink ice coffee and never received a punch for it...:):):)

Tony

I was "lessoned" on the difference between ice coffee and ice coffee.

One is brewed coffee over ice (no punches)...that is...if you are on the current voyage and have unlimited free brewed coffee.

The other one is expresso coffee with ice (one punch).

I was "lessoned" on the difference between ice coffee and ice coffee.

One is brewed coffee over ice (no punches)...that is...if you are on the current voyage and have unlimited free brewed coffee.

The other one is expresso coffee with ice (one punch).

Thanks for the info. I never had espresso coffee with ice. On my next cruise I will give it a try thanks.

I have coffee cards to use up. Everyone is saying Princess is going to make the old cards expire :mad:.

Tony

Lets clarify something. There is free coffee/tea available in the lido buffet area (24 hours a day) which is completely free. The coffee card is only for use at the International Cafe and Amuleto Cafe. When you purchase a coffee card it will be marked (on the back) with your ship and voyage number/date. You can use that card for unlimited coffee and tea at those two venues. Unlike the Lido and Main Dining Rooms where coffee is brewed in very large machines, the cafes brew small batches of coffee...so theoretically it is higher quality. The cards also have 15 punch areas which are used for specialty coffee/teas purchased at only the International Cafe (or Amuleto Cafe on ships that have that venue).

What is confusing some new folks is likely all the discussion about end dates. Up until recently, Princess had a policy that a coffee card could only be used for unlimited coffee and tea...on the same voyage where you obtained the card. But if you did not use all the punches, you could simply keep the card and use the punches on future cruises. But now, there are some reports that Princess is putting a time limit (perhaps a year) on how long those punches remain valid. The problem is that most folks actually pay for the cards...so what Princess is doing is essentially end-dating money (similar to the controversy on end dating gift cards).

And to clarify (for new cruisers)...Princess does have various levels in their Captain's Circle (this is a club for those who have cruised on Princess). Once a cruiser reaches the Elite Level, they are entitled to one free stocking (per cruise_ of their cabin mini-bar...which has some beer, soft drinks, and hard booze. Elite folks can opt to trade-in their mini-bar items for either 2 coffee cards....or perhaps a bottle of wine.

Hank

I added the coffee card to my onboard reservations under name but my husband will be the one drinking the coffee. Will he able to use the card?

I added the coffee card to my onboard reservations under name but my husband will be the one drinking the coffee. Will he able to use the card?

yes. There is no name on the card. He will be able to get the free coffee or tea, one cup at a time. And he will be able to get as many lattes at a time as he wishes (charged at a punch for each)

thank you to everyone who responded to my questions.

We are going to wait until we are on board and use our OBC to purchase one card. We will gone 28 days, so we may need to purchase a second card, but I will respond back after our trip.

side note: I was planning to purchase water bottles, but it disappeared from the website, after a day or two it came back on, so I purchased 3 cases - I am bringing powdered lemonade to mix in my own water container. We do not have a drink package. We are also planning to bring one 36 can case of soda with us when we board..

I will report back at the end of the trip whether all of this effort was worth it.

I would like to thank everyone for their responses too. I didn't know there were two types of ice coffee either.

roxievegas......have fun on your trip. I'm assuming you are doing the one this month. I'm doing the 28 day in October. My sister just did the same cruise this past October and had a ball.

Tammy

We will take it one step further. Most of the time we have used a single coffee card to get both coffee and tea (at the same time) at the International Cafe. On one cruise (a few years ago) the staff at the IC told us we had to use two cards for coffee and tea (at the same time). So DW (who is a tea drinker) simply grabbed a big handful of tea bags from the Lido and carried some with her all the time. At the IC I would get my coffee and she would just ask for a cup of Hot Water :). Although the IC uses a "better name" tea bag....DW claims it tastes no better then the tea available in the Lido. But I do think that the IC coffee is a lot better then the hot dishwater called coffee in the Lido.

Hank

We will take it one step further. Most of the time we have used a single coffee card to get both coffee and tea (at the same time) at the International Cafe. On one cruise (a few years ago) the staff at the IC told us we had to use two cards for coffee and tea (at the same time). So DW (who is a tea drinker) simply grabbed a big handful of tea bags from the Lido and carried some with her all the time. At the IC I would get my coffee and she would just ask for a cup of Hot Water :). Although the IC uses a "better name" tea bag....DW claims it tastes no better then the tea available in the Lido. But I do think that the IC coffee is a lot better then the hot dishwater called coffee in the Lido.

Hank

Easy to do...and I'm a heavy duty tea drinker. The tea available in the buffet beverage stations is good tea. They have Lipton plain tea, but also a decent variety of nice teas. And hot water is always available in the IC at no charge.

yes. There is no name on the card. He will be able to get the free coffee or tea' date=' one cup at a time. And he will be able to get as many lattes at a time as he wishes (charged at a punch for each)[/quote']

Thank you