Viking Vienna excursion choices

cid73g

We will be on the Viking Romantic Danube cruise in May 2018.

Trying to choose between the Panoramic Vienna (am) and Schonbrunn Palace (pm) excursions vs. Jewels of Vienna Ring (all day). Looks like the Jewels is more comprehensive but little time to shop/dine.

Any suggestions?

I have the same question. We are on the same cruise in July 2018. Currently booked on the included Panoramic Vienna. My wife and I really enjoy city bike tours and considering booking one on our own in the pm, but I am afraid it may overlap with the same stops as the Panoramic Vienna excursion offered by Viking...

We took the included morning tour of Vienna on our Viking cruise, and then went on our own to to Hofburg Palace which was not far from where the tour ended at St. Stephan Cathederal, and then went to Cafe Demel (very close to the palace) for some eats. We then took the Metro back to the ship on our own. The Hofburg was really nice, and it was a truly memorable afternoon.

We did Panoramic Vienna (am) and Schonbrunn Palace (pm) excursions. Loved the Palace, especially the gardens and fountains WAY out back. Worth the walk in our free time post palace tour and plenty of time before the bus pickup for the return to the ship. Not impressed with the panoramic (read mostly bus) tour.

What I love about Europe and especially this cruise was in Vienna and at the Schonbrunn Palace we heard how great the Hapsburgs were and all about their glorious dynasty, while upon arrival in Hungary it was "Those bleeping Hapsburgs!"

• 11 months later...

Would Cool Cruiser Please share detailed information about went on our own to to Hofburg Palace . We then took the Metro back to the ship on our own. I have heard The Hofburg was really nice and as it is our second time in vienna we hope to do the same thing  this april.

Sorry I should have asked:

Would Cary Cruiser Please share detailed information about how you left the tour and went on your own to Hofburg Palace and then took the Metro back to the ship on our own. I have heard The Hofburg Palace was really nice and as it is our second time in Vienna we hope to do the same thing  this April.

3 hours ago, ustowas said:

Sorry I should have asked:

Would Cary Cruiser Please share detailed information about how you left the tour and went on your own to Hofburg Palace and then took the Metro back to the ship on our own. I have heard The Hofburg Palace was really nice and as it is our second time in Vienna we hope to do the same thing  this April.

As mentioned, the tour ended at St. Stephan Cathederal.  We informed our guide that we were going to depart the tour at that time (good thing to do as they do a head count when everybody is back on the bus).  Since we had gone by the entrance of the Hofburg on the tour, I knew it was only a few blocks from St. Stephans.  Backtracked to the entrance - spent most of the afternoon there, and then went on to Demel for some coffee and cake.  The Metro station is close to St. Stephans.  Make sure you get on the right train going in the right direction - 2 stops (I think) and then it is a few blocks walk to where the ship is.  Your program director will be happy to give you more detailed instructions I am sure.  We loved the Hofburg.  Very worthwhile to visit.

We overnighted in Vienna so I did something similar to Cary.  Did the included in the AM and after lunch at Cafe Demel we visited The Hofburg in the afternoon.  Easy to catch the Metro back to the dock with about a ten minute walk.  Since we had the whole next day, I prebought a combined ticket for the Hofburg, Schonbrunn and the furniture museum ( never got to it).  In the AM of day 2 we grabbed a quick early breakfast and set off on the Metro to Schonbrunn.  We beat the Viking crowd and most of the other organized tours.  Had a pleasant uncrowded  tour of the castle and were in the gardens when our shipmates arrived.  Still had our Metro passes so had plenty of time to visit other sites in town.

• Like 1