Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Kreiven

Abbreviations/Acronyms! Look up here before asking.

I totally get what you're saying. But, since people have been "doing it this way for ages" I doubt it's going to change.

Totally agree. While a few acronyms are are specific to Cruise Critic, others such as DH, DW, SIL, DIL, etc are widely used on other forums.

The marine industry also has many industry specific words - galley, deck, bulkheads, etc learning these terms should be part of the cruising experience.

Okay. I understand people who are accustomed to the acronyms can easily interpret the meanings, but for us DA’es how about taking a little bit of time to SPELL OUT the words.

What are DA'es? :confused:

What are DA'es? :confused:
DA is a reference to cabins set up to accomodae disabled persons. DA is also short for disabled persons themselves.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, pacruise804 said:

I thought XYZ=eXamine Your Zipper ;)

TA = Travel Agent or TransAtlantic - read for context

NCL = Norwegian Cruise Line

X = Celebrity

WCMC = Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

PVP = Personal Vacation Planner

That is what I thought, but used in a post, I hope no one can see my zipper online, so I guess the other definition will be OK.

On 1/30/2018 at 7:12 AM, Kreiven said:

What if we fix this post so people can take a look here before submitting a new thread to ask what XYZ mean? I think it would be a good idea.

AFT - Back of the ship

B2B - Back to back cruises

FTTF - Faster To The Fun (check Carnival's website for more information)

Lido - One of the decks on Carnival ships

MDR - Main Dining Room

YTD - Your Time Dinner

OV - Ocean View cabin

Cruise Lines:

DCL - Disney Cruise Line

RCCL - Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

RCI - Royal Caribbean International

... (you can post and I'll be adding them here)

S&S = Sail and Sign. It can refer to your card that is given to you for shipboard charges, the room key (if available), and as for access getting on and off the ship. It can also refer to the on board account used by Carnival. The name is officially used by Carnival. However other cruisers may use the name on other cruise lines.

Of course context matters when using acronyms. Otherwise how would you know that on CC (cruise critic) you can lookup how to use your CC (credit card) when cruising on CC (carnival cruises) not when trying to buy stock in CC (Carnival Corp.) the parent company.  It is a good thing that there are not a lot of cruises to Cape Cod  (CC) or that might really confuse things.

LOL

1 hour ago, plettza said:

What's "DS"?

It depends on the context but it's usually Darling Son.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

OK thanks. In the context I read it here on one of the forum topics, it was difficult to determine. I thought maybe Dearest Sister but that made no sense. 

On 8/26/2018 at 7:30 PM, Aquahound said:

What are DA'es? 😕

On 8/26/2018 at 11:27 PM, Host Walt said:
Aquahound said:
What are DA'es? 😕

DA is a reference to cabins set up to accomodae disabled persons. DA is also short for disabled persons themselves.

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Paul, really wanted to answer your question when it came up, but forgot about it until now.  Speaking of context, in the context the PP was using, "DA" is "dumb a**"  :classic_blush:

Some for Royal Caribbean (RCI):
CL = Concierge Lounge (for suite guests)
CP = Cafe Promenade (available on some RCI ships)
DL = Diamond Lounge (for those who have done lots of RCI cruises)

As prevously posted, RCI means "Royal Caribbean International" and refers to the Royal Caribbean ships (all end with the words "of the Seas"). RCCL is "Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines", and not only includes Royal Caribbean, but also other lines owned by RCCL such as Celebrity. However, on Cruise Critic, RCCL often is used when RCI is meant -- Royal Caribbean "of the Seas" ships.

And: ACRONYM = Abbreviated Character Representation Of Names You'll Misuse

Edited by Jimnbigd

On 4/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, Jimnbigd said:

RCCL is "Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines"

It's actually Royal Caribbean Cruises, LTD. 😊

On 4/23/2019 at 2:00 PM, Jimnbigd said:

Some for Royal Caribbean (RCI):
CL = Concierge Lounge (for suite guests)
CP = Cafe Promenade (available on some RCI ships)
DL = Diamond Lounge (for those who have done lots of RCI cruises)

As prevously posted, RCI means "Royal Caribbean International" and refers to the Royal Caribbean ships (all end with the words "of the Seas"). RCCL is "Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines", and not only includes Royal Caribbean, but also other lines owned by RCCL such as Celebrity. However, on Cruise Critic, RCCL often is used when RCI is meant -- Royal Caribbean "of the Seas" ships.

CL - Concierge Lounge for Suite guests, Pinnacles and Diamond +

SL - Suite Lounge for Suite guests and Pinnacles only.

On 3/27/2019 at 2:22 AM, Jandex said:

Can I please ask what is LCR?

Thanks.  

Apparently you can ask but you won't necessarily get an answer. I was wondering the same thing. 

On 3/27/2019 at 2:22 AM, Jandex said:

Can I please ask what is LCR?

Thanks.  

15 hours ago, bbnmom said:

Apparently you can ask but you won't necessarily get an answer. I was wondering the same thing. 

Without knowing the context, I suspect it is Left-Center-Right.  This is a dice game I've heard of being played at a meet and greet, arranged by roll call members.  Each person usually starts with $3 and depending on what is rolled you do something with the money.  Eventually one person wins the entire pot (which is sometimes given as a donation, like on Carnival to St. Jude).

6 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Without knowing the context, I suspect it is Left-Center-Right.  This is a dice game I've heard of being played at a meet and greet, arranged by roll call members.  Each person usually starts with $3 and depending on what is rolled you do something with the money.  Eventually one person wins the entire pot (which is sometimes given as a donation, like on Carnival to St. Jude).

Yes, that is  it. Everyone starts with 3 chips or $3 Dollars. One rolls three die. They then follow the dice instructions. If there is a "L" they pass one chip to the person on the left. If there is a "C" they  put one chip (Dollar) in the center.  If the die is marked with an "R", they pass one chip to the person on the right.When it is  your turn to roll you roll only the number of dice that you have chips for. If you have only one chip, yoe roll only one dice. and follow the instruction. You may be out of chips, but a person on your right may roll a "L" and pass  you a chip so next time your turn comes around, you can roll one die if you have one chip. If you have accumulate more than 3 chips, you only roll three die. If you are out of chips, you don't roll, but the person on  your tight might roll an "L" and pass  you a chip so next time it comes around you can roll one die.

If   you have only 2 die,  you roll only two die.

The die are marked with an "L", a "C" an "R" and a dot. If you  have three die and roll and get all three Dots you don't put any chips and just pass the dice. If you roll three die and get three "L"'s you past three chips to your left and so forth.

The "C" center pot builds up and the one that still has chips at the end and everyone else is out winds the pot in the center.

Kind of fun and only one winner.

I think I have it correct.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:39 PM, scapel said:

The die are marked with an "L", a "C" an "R" and a dot. 

There are 6 sides to a die.  You give 4 things to be marked.  What about the other two sides?

4 hours ago, SRF said:

There are 6 sides to a die.  You give 4 things to be marked.  What about the other two sides?

My wife has the dice. Good question. I would think make it C and another "dot", but I don't have the dice to check. It is a fun game. Went to Google--· Each player receives three chips. Players take it in turn to roll the six-sided dice, each of which is marked with "L", "C", "R" on one side, and a single dot on the three remaining sides.

Edited by scapel

Great, thanks.

I looked but did not see that.

On 4/23/2019 at 2:00 PM, Jimnbigd said:

TLA = Three Letter Acronym