alwayswantedtobekelli

Need simple instructions for Samsung S7 settings

I'm sure others may think this is a basic question but I've read so many different opinions I'm confused as to what I should do. I have Verizon and will be purchasing a basic Travel Pass ($10 a day when we use the service) while on our cruise. Two of our stops are US territories so are included in my basic plan.

What I want to be able to do on my phone while on ship and at ports:

1. make and receive text messages

2. make phone calls in an emergency

3. check email

4. I will NOT be online or streaming any videos.

What settings do I need on my phone on the ship and how do I need to change them when I get to each port?

Edited by alwayswantedtobekelli
wrong wording

My advice is to put the phone in airplane mode to shut everything down while onboard. If you want email (and probably texts) while on the ship, you can purchase a WiFi package onboard.

Once on shore, turn off airplane mode and wait for your phone to connect to the local cellular system.

You will be online if you want texts and emails - you may not be browsing. You have to have either a WiFi or cellular connection to get email and texts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the phone is roaming, there is no need to do anything, the phone should configure itself.

If you do not receive any signal on the cruise, it is better to do what Xriva says, simply use it in airplane mode.

If the phone is roaming, there is no need to do anything, the phone should configure itself.

The issue that one of my friends had was that in roaming mode, your phone will connect to any cell signal and the closest signal is the ship’s cell tower. Depending on your cell provider, you may get hit with some extravagant roaming charges. (He has AT&T.)

We have Sprint, and they have an international plan but ships aren’t covered.

Airplane mode prevents any texts and calls to come through. I want to be able to get them from home if my kids or grandkids need to reach us in an emergency. I am not buying a plan through the ship, but I will have an international plan from my carrier (Verizon) which is a pay as you go plan, so any texts I receive cost .05 and any I send will cost .50. My question is, what do I need to turn off (data, wifi, etc) to make sure it's not trying roaming and running updates in the background that is going to cost me additional money?

Airplane mode prevents any texts and calls to come through. I want to be able to get them from home if my kids or grandkids need to reach us in an emergency. I am not buying a plan through the ship, but I will have an international plan from my carrier (Verizon) which is a pay as you go plan, so any texts I receive cost .05 and any I send will cost .50. My question is, what do I need to turn off (data, wifi, etc) to make sure it's not trying roaming and running updates in the background that is going to cost me additional money?
In order to prevent any roaming while out to sea, on the top menu where the battery and signal are, pull it down with your finger and then tap the airplane icon. You will be able to connect to Wi-Fi but not "towers". When you get to shore, repeat the process to turn off airplane mode. If you want to receive texts and email while out to sea you would need to buy a Wi-Fi plan. You can then log into the ship's Wi-Fi and then go back to the menu where the plane is and enable wifi calling. It will be like you are at home. No charge for anything other than the Wi-Fi fee.

We have tmobile that includes international so we just buy a Wi-Fi package and use Wi-Fi calling while at sea and then switch out if airplane while on shore. My husband and I both have Samsung phones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Click your app button, then your settings button, select connections, turn on wifi calling (you can make calls when on wifi and dont have a signal, keep this on all the time), select data usage, then mobile data and turn it off when your in the airport waiting to board the plane. Next select international data roaming and make sure it is off. Not sure what cruise line you are traveling but if you have wifi plan or free plan on the boat then you can use your phone like regular to check emails and websites like normal. The cost of your providers plan does not include using the local service which can be very high especially on a ship. Since your main concern is contact wit your grandkids, I bet they use all the free messaging services you should use online. The app - Whatsapp lets you message and talk while connected to wifi. Maps.me app will let you look at maps offline not using any data and you can even add bookmarks to make notes about locations, just have to download each area you want to see offline before the cruise. My parents paid almost $100.00 while on a river cruise to all me for 10 mins after their ship was in an accident even with a cheap international plan. The text messaging is a pain since even when you tell people you cant get texts they forget and still send them to you can cost you money. One more app to consider is Datally, it uses a data saver which turns off all data so you have no chance to get charges. Dont wait to the day before to check your settings incase you need to understand something better.

of course, but this thread was made in order to know how to be able to make and recive text messages and make phone calls

Yes, and the safest way to do that, generally, is to turn on airplane mode, and then turn on only WiFi.

After that, use applications that will work over WiFi.

If you just put your phone on roaming, anything you do will be at roaming charges while you’re on the ship.

Just an FYI. With Verizon at this time cruise ships are not covered under any travel program. It is all pay as you go. So travelpass will not cover you while on the ship.

You are best to turn on airplane mode and then turn just wifi and Bluetooth back on.

I'm sure others may think this is a basic question but I've read so many different opinions I'm confused as to what I should do. I have Verizon and will be purchasing a basic Travel Pass ($10 a day when we use the service) while on our cruise. Two of our stops are US territories so are included in my basic plan.

What I want to be able to do on my phone while on ship and at ports:

1. make and receive text messages

2. make phone calls in an emergency

3. check email

4. I will NOT be online or streaming any videos.

What settings do I need on my phone on the ship and how do I need to change them when I get to each port?

When you are in or near a port with Verizon coverage you get a text like this, I got the same text in Mexico last year

M9uWnK.jpg