MSC Seaside nasty odor

ERLEC

Someuser: The sewer smell has been a well documented issue with Seaside since her inaugural sailing. MSC sent TA's an email stating they had implemented a fix in the beginning of February. People on board have also reported that the captain addressed the issue in person. Based on reports form this forum and facebook, it appears the smell is far from fixed.

Some people report no smell. Others, like you, report terribly offensive smell. There is at least one report of MSC offering a guest on-board 25% rebate.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Be ready for some on the forum to accuse you of working for the competition and spreading rumors. Best to just ignore them. Plenty of us who absolutely believe you and need the information to make informed decisions about future purchases.

Just to add a little balance to this discussion, I contacted a senior manager within the house keeping department who says that sleeping on balconies is not permitted by msc, nor would they allow anyone to do it.

It is quite odd though how people can become somewhat obsessed by a smell.

Just to add a little balance to this discussion, I contacted a senior manager within the house keeping department who says that sleeping on balconies is not permitted by msc, nor would they allow anyone to do it.

I am not aware of anyone who has actually done so, but I can tell you that you will be singing a different tune once you smell it also. It is pronounced and pungent. That's all. You can't miss it.

Policy and practice don’t align. I slept on my balcony on divina. No one said a word. I’ve also done it on ncl, princess, and Hal. I often book Aft balconies with comfy lounge chairs and love the sound of the wake and gentle rocking while star gazing late at night. Sometimes i drift off while reading my kindle. Most of the time I wake up and go inside before the sun rises, but there have been times I woke to a glorious sunrise.

Thank you for this post, I for one appreciate the educational tenor of the post and it certainly puts my mind at ease about our cruise (which isn't for almost 9 months, BTW). Thanks!

To me, it just makes me feel I am back in 11th grade Chem 101, with Miss. Humperknicker. ARRRGGGHHH!

Someuser: I absolutely agree. The smell is the number one reason we passed on Seaside for a cruise this month. It may not bother some, but it would bother me, and I can't even chance the possibility it would follow me into the cabin :(. Still hopeful MSC can fix the design flaw for our June trip, but if not, I'll pass again. For me, the cost savings just isn't worth the smell risk. Others completely disagree, that's fine too :).

We didn't have the smell in or right near our cabin on Deck 10 forward, didn't smell it in the Thermal area, didn't smell it anywhere near the dining room or the buffets or even the Miami or Southbeach pools.

But we did definitly smell it on Deck 10 midship both in the hallway and by the elevators. First only got a whiff by the Jungle pool on the first day, but then very strongly in the Jungle pool area for the rest of the cruise for 2 weeks.