Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

2 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

No Eiswein  (Ice Wine) this year. Heard on the news this morning, in the state of Hesse (Frankurt and Wiesbaden) they are picking strawberries. What a crazy world!

Thank you for the wonderful photos and trip reports, I can enjoy a holiday and it doesn't cost me a cent.

But there should be Trockenbeerenauslese, yes?

• Like 1

Attn: AMA cruisers:  I just found the following on AMA's web site:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: OFFICE CLOSED NOVEMBER 9, 2018 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Due to mandatory evacuations, power outages and road closures taking place as a result of the wildfires currently affecting areas of Ventura County and Los Angeles County (CA), AmaWaterways Headquarters located in Calabasas will be closed on Friday, November 9th. The safety and wellbeing of our employees is of the utmost importance, and our thoughts are with them as well as with our valued guests and travel partners within the affected areas.

Our office has been impacted on all operating levels including our phone lines and Online Booking System. If you have left a voicemail, we will return your call as soon as it is deemed safe to return to normal business operations. Should this message no longer appear on our website, please feel free to reach out to our Reservations Department at 1.800.626.0126.

We will continue to monitor the situation as it develops and will provide an update should it become necessary to remain closed for a longer period of time.

19 minutes ago, gadugger said:

Due to mandatory evacuations, power outages and road closures taking place as a result of the wildfires currently affecting areas of Ventura County and Los Angeles County (CA), AmaWaterways Headquarters located in Calabasas will be closed on Friday, November 9th. The safety and wellbeing of our employees is of the utmost importance, and our thoughts are with them as well as with our valued guests and travel partners within the affected areas.

Our office has been impacted on all operating levels including our phone lines and Online Booking System. If you have left a voicemail, we will return your call as soon as it is deemed safe to return to normal business operations. Should this message no longer appear on our website, please feel free to reach out to our Reservations Department at 1.800.626.0126.

We will continue to monitor the situation as it develops and will provide an update should it become necessary to remain closed for a longer period of time.

Oh good grief.  I’m sure they’ll work on a redundancy plan for communication. Those fires in Cali are horrific. Looks like AMAPrima is in Cologne today.

(Excuse me for the lengthy write up, I wanted to give you a feel for how Viking is handling the low water problem)

We’re currently traveling on the Viking Hild from Trier to Basel. We were notified a couple of days prior to leaving that due to extremely low water levels on the Rhine we would be doing some extended bus trips and a ship swap. We lucked out on this trip. Prior to our cruise, the Hild was “trapped” in Speyer. This resulted in busing to all ???
Just before our trip, there was sufficient rain south of the Rhine Gorge that allowed the levels to rise just enough to get the Hild north to Koblenz. The Hild was able to continue its trip on the Mosel and get to Trier. 
This allowed us to have 4 days of smooth sailing and great tours along the Mosel. Once we hit Koblenz everything changed. The morning excursion was the planned tour of the city. The afternoon was our first change. Instead of sailing the Rhine on the Hild we were bused to St. Goar (1.25 hrs), put on a riverboat, given lots of food and drink, viewed tons of castles on a beautiful day, and bused back to Koblenz (2 hrs) to spend the evening on the Hild. Today we did the bus thing to Mainz, did all the planned excursions, and returned to the Hild near Koblenz for a total of almost 4 hours of motoring. 
Tomorrow’s the big ship swap day. We pack our bags, leave them out in the morning, have breakfast, get on a bus again for a 1.75 hour trip to Speyer. We’ll have our city tour and free time before we head to Strasbourg (1.25 hrs) to meet the Viking Vidar. We then complete our cruise as planned for the last 2 days. 
After all this I must say Viking did an excellent job handling a difficult situation. They worked hard to keep bus travel to a minimum. They kept us informed of everything that was going on. When they initially emailed us about the changes they also told us we would be getting a credit for our next cruise of 25% of our fare. Also, they are giving us €25 credit for lunch tomorrow since we won’t be on board till later in the day. 
The staff has been excellent. Benne, our program director has been with us since day one and will stay with us till the end. Hope you get her for your cruise. 
The best thing to do is go with the flow (pun intended). Viking will do what they can. Don’t expect the Hild to travel south if levels should rise enough. It’s better for you and Viking to keep the ship on the Mosel side. Only if the levels rise a huge amount would they risk going south. Enjoy your trip. 

Currently on Viking Idi heading from B>A.

We were to be on Mani, but - as I speculated awhile back, she damaged a propeller and/ or shaft in the low water.

Here’s the plan:

We’re Ok for Black Forest tomorrow from Briesach 

( sp?) and Strasbourg the next day.

Next day we bus to Heidelberg and ship swap to Eir in Koblenz.

Next day tour boat cruise of middle Rhine to see the castles.

Ship is nearly full at 184, so everyone opted to go with revised itinerary vs. cancel.

Program Director very candid about issues, Says ship swap is 99% certain. Good to see  Viking is dealing directly with the issues.

P.S. Group seems pleasant. First meal was excellent. SS package helps with attitude adjustment! 😊

2 hours ago, gadugger said:

The fires are even worse since they jumped the 101 freeway and are now in Malibu. All of Malibu has been evacuated and the 101 is closed in both directions. Terrible! Where AMA is is not too far from where the shooting was in Thousand Oaks. Double trouble. Hopefully you will be able to connect with the 800 number and get your questions answered. Puts things in perspective though, when people are upset about their cruise being partly bus. Worse to lose your house and everything in it.....or not to know if your house stands or not....or to have no where to go because there is no more room in shelters. Sorry, but this is horrible here and many people’s lives will never be the same.

8 hours ago, Mark_T said:

No problems there, AmaVenita just moved to the nice spot by Amsterdam Centraal, so she is ready and waiting.

I'll try to find out what has happened to the 3 other cruises that APT should have been running between Amsterdam and Budapest starting today and tomorrow as none of the other ships are in the right place so it is possible we've all been consolidated onto one ship due to people cancelling...

Happy cruising (hopefully no buses)!! I'll be interested to hear what is happening with the APT boats as we are still due to board the AmaVenita on the 24th November.

2 minutes ago, madda said:

Happy cruising (hopefully no buses)!! I'll be interested to hear what is happening with the APT boats as we are still due to board the AmaVenita on the 24th November.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated, but pretty much the only thing I'm certain about right now is that you won't be boarding AmaVenita in Budapest on the 24th 🙂

Doesn't matter though, the other ships are virtually identical so the name on the stern doesn't really have any impact.

I will try to find out what happened to the cruises that should have started in Budapest today and tomorrow as that will be a good guide for you...

44 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I'll be sure to keep you all updated, but pretty much the only thing I'm certain about right now is that you won't be boarding AmaVenita in Budapest on the 24th 🙂

Doesn't matter though, the other ships are virtually identical so the name on the stern doesn't really have any impact.

I will try to find out what happened to the cruises that should have started in Budapest today and tomorrow as that will be a good guide for you...

Thanks Mark, I also don't think it matters which boat we're on as long as we are on a boat in the water. We have been on the Amalegro in 2008 and the Amabella in 2011 and they were both lovely.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark_T said:

No problems there, AmaVenita just moved to the nice spot by Amsterdam Centraal, so she is ready and waiting.

I'll try to find out what has happened to the 3 other cruises that APT should have been running between Amsterdam and Budapest starting today and tomorrow as none of the other ships are in the right place so it is possible we've all been consolidated onto one ship due to people cancelling...

We did the APT Amsterdam to Budapest cruise on the AmaVenita in the last two weeks of March this year. It's an excellent ship with a really great crew and staff, so I hope you get to enjoy it as much as we did, even though you will have to go with the flow as far as ship swaps and schedule changes go. It's a shame you probably won't be on the AmaVenita all the way, but bon voyage and have a great holiday.

On 11/8/2018 at 4:53 PM, notamermaid said:

hbr777,

I think you are right about Holland and Belgium and the Christmas markets. I cannot imagine a cruise not taking in at least Cologne. Brussels Christmas market is great and I am not saying Dutch ones are not good but it is not what one wanted to see. After all, the Alsace region claims to be the home of the Christmas tree tradition. To be precise the first known written record of a Christmas tree is in the library of Selestat, near Colmar: https://noel.tourisme-alsace.com/en/222004799-The-oldest-written-mention-of-the-Christmas-tree.html

notamermaid

Thank you for keeping an upbeat tone for river cruising in this incredible year of high temperatures and low rain fall.  Our experience with Amawaterways was great.  I was initially disappointed that we wouldn't be spending the entire week on the AmaKristina, but after being on the AmaStella before our ship swap, I missed the crew on the AmaStella!  Honestly that was the hardest part of ship swapping.  Our motto when packing for these trips is, "wear what you wear at home and is comfortable."  No one cares if you wear the same pants and sweater with a different clean shirt all week.  And it makes packing for the swap and train travel so much easier.  Even though we missed Cologne and Rudesheim, I was so pleasantly surprised with Antwerp and Luxembourg City.  I'll go back to the Rhine on Amawaterway"s dime when the waters rise!  

1 hour ago, newgolfr said:

Thank you for keeping an upbeat tone for river cruising in this incredible year of high temperatures and low rain fall.  Our experience with Amawaterways was great.  I was initially disappointed that we wouldn't be spending the entire week on the AmaKristina, but after being on the AmaStella before our ship swap, I missed the crew on the AmaStella!  Honestly that was the hardest part of ship swapping.  Our motto when packing for these trips is, "wear what you wear at home and is comfortable."  No one cares if you wear the same pants and sweater with a different clean shirt all week.  And it makes packing for the swap and train travel so much easier.  Even though we missed Cologne and Rudesheim, I was so pleasantly surprised with Antwerp and Luxembourg City.  I'll go back to the Rhine on Amawaterway"s dime when the waters rise!  

Did AMA get you to your original destination? I can't find out if our Nov. 17-24 AMAPRIMA A to B cruise, which surely will have a changed itinerary, will still get us to Basel where we have train tickets to go Paris or whether AMA will get us to Paris in some other fashion. 

Bernkastel:  light sprinkles this morning.

Yesterday afternoon's cruise up the Mosel was great.  Spent 4 hours on the sundeck (really the cloud deck, so no pictures...hoping to catch some sun on the way back down for that).   Bundled with blankets and a bottle of Bailey's to battle the chilly wind.  This is why we love the river, and after 7 days of no sailing, 5 of them in hotel, we wanted to savor the moment.  Jazz coming from the laptop just added to the afternoon.  (BTW, a 750ml bottle of Baileys was 10E in a grocery,  compared to about 23E back in US.  Great for morning coffee, doesn't need refrigeration).

A few swans joined us this am.  I know the Bernkastel pics aren't great, but figured why not post to show the weather.

To date, my biggest disappointment with Vantage is that they didn't offer a small boat tour of the Rhine Castle region.  I picked up a brouchure while cycling, they go for around 15E for a tour.  Listening to a few of our fellow cruisers, when they finally realized we wouldn't be seeing that stretch of the river, was sad.  Viking and other lines stepped up here, Vantage not so much.  Another passenger even suggested they detour the buses on the way back from Mainz to Koblenz, drive along the river, and folks could at least get some views.  No dice. 

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

We are on AMAKristina on the Dec 3 sailing.  I am curious as to how much rain is needed in order to raise the water levels. I am tracking the weather in the region constantly.  Cheering for rain, booing at sunshine.  I am also tracking ships on cruisemapper.  

We can't cancel since we have independent flights and travel plans in Germany.  I have decided to try to be happy about whatever happens.  One side of me says "What are you complaining about.  You are able to do this".  The other side is saying " Yah, but---",

Thank you to those reporting from their cruises.  It is nice to know what is going on.

Edited by katz

Hi Katz! I am also on your cruise. It is raining today, so yay for that.

The gorge, I believe, needs a minimum of 50cm for our ship to pass. At a minimum I think we are looking at ship swap. Or not even being on the AMAKristina, since it is in Rotterdam and right now I don't think it can get through the gorge.

When I went to work this morning I thought my walk back would be in rain but it did not happen. There was some moisture in the sky and I thought to myself "is that it?" I hope other areas had a bit more. Fortunately the drop to 35cm at Kaub did not happen, but in the end 35 or 37 does not matter when you need 50. It will be a few hours before any effect from the rain will be visible in figures (if it does happen at all). So here goes: Maxau 333cm, Kaub 37cm, Koblenz 40cm.

A few days ago, another river cruise ship got stuck. The Regina Rheni hit a gravel bank at Bonn. After three hours she managed to free herself and continue on her journey. Gravel banks in this low water can easily change shape and move with the river's fast flow and ships' propellers doing their bit as well. Announcements on shallows can change from day to day.

notamermaid

6 hours ago, ural guy said:

Yesterday afternoon's cruise up the Mosel was great.  Spent 4 hours on the sundeck (really the cloud deck, so no pictures...hoping to catch some sun on the way back down for that).   Bundled with blankets and a bottle of Bailey's to battle the chilly wind.  This is why we love the river, and after 7 days of no sailing, 5 of them in hotel, we wanted to savor the moment.  Jazz coming from the laptop just added to the afternoon.  (BTW, a 750ml bottle of Baileys was 10E in a grocery,  compared to about 23E back in US.  Great for morning coffee, doesn't need refrigeration).

Ural Guy,

Again thanks for the pics of this gorgeous river. The beautiful Moselle, top deck, Bailey's, and jazz. Doesn't get much better!

27 minutes ago, hbr777 said:

Hi Katz! I am also on your cruise. It is raining today, so yay for that.

The gorge, I believe, needs a minimum of 50cm for our ship to pass. At a minimum I think we are looking at ship swap. Or not even being on the AMAKristina, since it is in Rotterdam and right now I don't think it can get through the gorge.

I'm also on this cruise, AmaK 12/3, Been reading this today and concerned too! Hoping for more rain, at least we still have a couple more weeks to see.

My friend on the Viking Gefjon is now ported in Mainz.  Viking is putting them on a small boat through the Rhine Gorge to Koblenz.  I think they will go back to the Gefjon and then transfer to the Mimir in Koln. Notamermaid--she will be in Koln on 11-11, she thinks they may celebrate Armistace Day, I think Carneval! Could you shed some light on what they will encounter?

Happy Sailing!

Nice to meet you, hbr777 and deMila.  I am Kathy.  I have been obsessing since a friend informed us about the water levels. Didn’t have a clue.  

I was disappointed that our TA never said a word. We booked this cruise a long time ago. We can’t cancel because we booked our flights independently, flying into Frankfurt where we are staying for a few days before going to Lucerne for the precruise.  

Oh well, just hoping for the best.

See you onboard!

27 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

My friend on the Viking Gefjon is now ported in Mainz.  Viking is putting them on a small boat through the Rhine Gorge to Koblenz.  I think they will go back to the Gefjon and then transfer to the Mimir in Koln. Notamermaid--she will be in Koln on 11-11, she thinks they may celebrate Armistace Day, I think Carneval! Could you shed some light on what they will encounter?

Happy Sailing!

Weirdly-dressed-up people shouting Kölle Alaaf, a happy booze-up. Possibly some unpleasant scenes from too much drinking. If you like it quiet, avoid the square of the main railway station and the platform of Cologne Cathedral. It is Sunday I am not sure what the Carnival people are allowed to do as some restrictions due to the nature of Sunday as a rest day apply. Personally I avoid such places and give Cologne a wide berth on such a weekend.... But it can be fun to watch from a distance.

I hope your friends will see the happy side of it. Pubs could be full and there are special events going on.

Edit: there might be a special celebration for the centenary of the end of WWI but you would need to check with the Cologne people for that. It is www.cologne-tourism.com

Other than that no Armistice day event.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added info and link

7 minutes ago, katz said:

Nice to meet you, hbr777 and deMila.  I am Kathy.  I have been obsessing since a friend informed us about the water levels. Didn’t have a clue.  

I was disappointed that our TA never said a word. We booked this cruise a long time ago. We can’t cancel because we booked our flights independently, flying into Frankfurt where we are staying for a few days before going to Lucerne for the precruise.  

Oh well, just hoping for the best.

See you onboard!

Nice to meet you too & hbr777,    I'm Mila,  we are also flying independently to meet the AmaKristina. So we will deal with what happens if/when it happens. May have to rethink packing to make lighter if we are going to have to be rerouted a bit. By the way, have you received the boarding documents yet? Don't forget Ama has an app now to download - but as of yesterday our cruise was not loaded yet. We did this Christmas market  cruise last year on the Danube and has such a wonderful time so we are trying the Rhine. 

Cheers!

Mila