Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

2 hours ago, peregrino said:

Notamermaid, thanks for those navigation channel depths!

I always feel happier to see the numbers (even acknowledging uncertainties), rather than general statements like "improving", etc.

Could you answer a couple of questions, please?

- Can the 135 m ships like AmaVenita travel on the Mosel River, and if so how far along from Koblenz?

- Is the Mosel River currently accessible from Koblenz?  (Even though the water depth at Kaub is preventing further travel on the Rhine after Koblenz, perhaps that would be an alternative interesting destination in SW Germany?)

Thanks in advance 🙂

notamermaid gave you a more detailed reply, but I can tell you I am on a 135m ship that is heading downstream past castles right now on the Mosel.  Great visit to Reichsburg castle in Cochem this morning.  We've been on this river for 4 days now, truly beautiful.  

Peregrino, I have brought this to the attention of our onboard rep, she will contact the Australian office to deal with the incorrect information.

On a side note, we passed AmaMagna a few mins ago, she looks very good even though not ready to sail yet. At twice the width of the other ships she is going to be limited on destinations of course. 

Edited by Mark_T

27 minutes ago, hbr777 said:

Holy Zeus. I cannot believe a company would refer customers to that site. That is NUTS.

I noticed the "fake news" water level site some time back but didn't pursue the issue. Still no word from AMA for our Amsterdam to Basel Nov. 17 cruise. AMA did put our cruise on their web app  Amacruiser.

1 hour ago, gadugger said:

I noticed the "fake news" water level site some time back but didn't pursue the issue. Still no word from AMA for our Amsterdam to Basel Nov. 17 cruise. AMA did put our cruise on their web app  Amacruiser.

We are on this same cruise --- still can't get in touch with Ama and haven't heard a thing from them about any potential disturbances to our itinerary. The lack of communication bothers me more than anything.

I just got off the AMAStella/AMAKristina Rhine River cruise - Basel to Amsterdam.  I thought AMA did a wonderful job with the details of the "ship swap".  We actually visited Baden Baden, Germany; Luxembourg City, Luxembourg; Antwerp, Belgium instead of three cities in Germany.  Yes, 7 hours on a bus is not pleasant and yes, packing and unpacking is not fun and yes, meeting and bonding with a whole new cruise staff is not ideal.  But AMA sent us to beautiful places and made the event totally seamless!!!!  It was a delightful cruise even with the swap.  I would also note that AMA headquarters are in LA and on Monday their servers were down due to the fires in Malibu and Southern California.  So while I understand the concern for wanting to know about your vacation, these poor folks in CA are dealing with life and death situations - just my thoughts.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hokiemare said:

I just got off the AMAStella/AMAKristina Rhine River cruise - Basel to Amsterdam.  I thought AMA did a wonderful job with the details of the "ship swap".  We actually visited Baden Baden, Germany; Luxembourg City, Luxembourg; Antwerp, Belgium instead of three cities in Germany.  Yes, 7 hours on a bus is not pleasant and yes, packing and unpacking is not fun and yes, meeting and bonding with a whole new cruise staff is not ideal.  But AMA sent us to beautiful places and made the event totally seamless!!!!  It was a delightful cruise even with the swap.  I would also note that AMA headquarters are in LA and on Monday their servers were down due to the fires in Malibu and Southern California.  So while I understand the concern for wanting to know about your vacation, these poor folks in CA are dealing with life and death situations - just my thoughts.  

A lot of this could have been avoided if AMA and other cruise lines acted transparently and notified their customers of how they have had to modify recent itineraries so customers could make informed decisions and, if they accept the changed itinerary, had some time to research the new destinations. The cruise lines should also have assured their customers that they would be able to make post cruise transfers on time or that alternate transportation would be provided. Did AMA give you a credit for a future cruise?

Edited by gadugger
clarification

10 minutes ago, gadugger said:

A lot of this could have been avoided if AMA and other cruise lines acted transparently and notified their customers of how they have had to modify recent itineraries so customers could make informed decisions and, if they accept the changed itinerary, had some time to research the new destinations. The cruise lines should also have assured their customers that they would be able to make post cruise transfers on time or that alternate transportation would be provided. Did AMA give you a credit for a future cruise?

I am so glad you had a wonderful cruise! But that itinerary is exactly what I fear will happen for my 12/3 cruise. Glad to know the 7 hours of driving was handled well though.

2 hours ago, holacandita said:

We are on this same cruise --- still can't get in touch with Ama and haven't heard a thing from them about any potential disturbances to our itinerary. The lack of communication bothers me more than anything.

The area around their headquarters is on fire. They are working remotely.

I definitely understand and sympathize with the current situation with the wildfires in CA.  My cruise is definitely a first world problem compared to that.  With that said, the water levels have been low for weeks if not months, so transparency would have been nice more than 4 days prior to sailing.  My TA just received our amended cruise itinerary and Ama is doing what they can to make it right -- we will have an amended itinerary either sailing round trip Amsterdam or from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf and we are okay with that.  It's not ideal but we understand things are outside of their control.  Hopefully we will be able to spend as much time on ship as possible.  

2 hours ago, holacandita said:

Also on this cruise. Head out Thursday for NYC before our overnight to Amsterdam. Really not expecting any word from AMA as the offices are remote due to the CA fires. Do I expect a boat swap? Yep as AMAPrima has been in Cologne area for Several days now and she’s supposed to be on a Basel-Amsterdam leg. Suspect she’s waiting for a down river sister ship swap.

28 minutes ago, holacandita said:

I definitely understand and sympathize with the current situation with the wildfires in CA.  My cruise is definitely a first world problem compared to that.  With that said, the water levels have been low for weeks if not months, so transparency would have been nice more than 4 days prior to sailing.  My TA just received our amended cruise itinerary and Ama is doing what they can to make it right -- we will have an amended itinerary either sailing round trip Amsterdam or from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf and we are okay with that.  It's not ideal but we understand things are outside of their control.  Hopefully we will be able to spend as much time on ship as possible.  

You are sailing in 4 days? Oh my goodness!

Were you supposed to be sailing Amsterdam to Basel? And now you are only going as far as Dusseldorf?

Just now, hbr777 said:

You are sailing in 4 days? Oh my goodness!

Were you supposed to be sailing Amsterdam to Basel? And now you are only going as far as Dusseldorf?

Correct, we embark on Saturday!  Possible itinerary includes sailing Netherlands and Germany from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf -OR- a round trip Amsterdam to Amsterdam sailing through The Netherlands and Belgium.  But we won't know until we're on board.  Either way they will have to get us back to Basel via train or plane to make our post cruise arrangements. 😞  But I'm still hoping for a great trip.  And we will receive credit for a future cruise.

Here's the disappointing choices Crystal have given us: bad or bad.

Different ship, different start location, different itinerary - how is this legal/ethical?

And only 2 days to decide.

Not happy.

Dear Valued Travel Partner,

We are writing today with an important update regarding your clients' "Rhine Christmas Markets" river cruise aboard Crystal Bach, scheduled to depart on December 5, 2018.

There are two developments we wish to bring to your attention. First, as a result of a technical issue that arose on an earlier cruise, Crystal Bach is undergoing repairs that will not be completed in time for your clients' voyage and therefore heridentical sister ship Crystal Mahler will be sailing in her place. Additionally, due to unseasonably dry conditions in central Europe, the Rhine River, specifically in the area upstream of Cologne and heading toward Basel, is currently not accessible due to extremely low water levels. Based on these circumstances, forecasts for the near future, and our effort to offer our guests a selection of Christmas Markets to visit, we are obliged to amend the itinerary for this sailing with one of two potential plans that will be finalized closer to departure based on water levels. For easy reference, below is the original itinerary followed by the two possible new itineraries.

Original Itinerary: Crystal Bach

Date

Arrive

Depart

Dec 5

Basel, Switzerland

Embark

Overnight

Dec 6

Basel, Switzerland

-

10 pm

Dec 7

Breisach, Germany

9 am

9 pm

Dec 8

Strasbourg, France

10 am

10 pm

Dec 9

Speyer, Germany

9 am

11 pm

Dec 10

Mainz, Germany

6 am

1 pm

Rüdesheim, Germany

3 pm

Overnight

Dec 11

Rüdesheim, Germany

-

8 am

Koblenz, Germany

1 pm

10 pm

Dec 12

Cologne, Germany

6 am

8 pm

Dec 13

Amsterdam, Netherlands

2 pm

Overnight

Dec 14

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

Overnight

Dec 15

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

Disembark

NEW Itinerary #1: Crystal Mahler - Rhine & Moselle Christmas Markets

Requires favorable water levels in the area of Koblenz for the ship to access the Moselle River. The Moselle River Valley is home to a number of picturesque villages and cities that have some of the most charming and atmospheric Christmas Markets in Germany. Here's the complete itinerary:

Date

Arrive

Depart

Dec 5

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Embark

Overnight

Dec 6

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

1 pm

Dec 7

Düsseldorf, Germany

9 am

5 pm

Dec 8

Koblenz, Germany

8 am

7 pm

Dec 9

Bernkastel, Germany

1 pm

11 pm

Dec 10

Trier, Germany

7 am

Overnight

Dec 11

Trier, Germany

-

6 pm

Dec 12

Cochem, Germany

2 pm

8 pm

Dec 13

Andernach, Germany

9 am

4 pm

Dec 14

Nijmegen, Netherlands

9 am

6 pm

Dec 15

Amsterdam, Netherlands

4 am

Disembark

NEW Itinerary #2: Crystal Mahler

Excursions to Christmas Markets in Antwerp, Düsseldorf and Cologne will be among our offerings. Here's the complete itinerary:

Date

Arrive

Depart

Dec 5

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Embark

Overnight

Dec 6

Amsterdam, Netherlands

-

1 pm

Dec 7

Düsseldorf, Germany

9 am

Overnight

Dec 8

Düsseldorf, Germany

-

6 pm

Dec 9

Nijmegen, Netherlands

8am

6 pm

Dec 10

Rotterdam, Netherlands

9 am

8 pm

Dec 11

Ghent, Belgium

9 am

Overnight

Dec 12

Ghent, Belgium

-

11 pm

Dec 13

Antwerp, Belgium

6 am

Overnight

Dec 14

Antwerp, Belgium

-

1 pm

Dec 15

Amsterdam, Netherlands

4 am

Disembark

*Please note that due to congestion along the river, the times and order of ports are subject to change. Itinerary may be subject to further change based on water levels.

As a result of these changes, guests will now embark the ship in Amsterdam, Netherlands (rather than Basel). Amsterdam International Airport (AMS) is the closest airport, located about 45 minutes from the port. Complimentary motor coach transfers will be provided between the airport and the ship on the day of embarkation.

Inbound Flights

We are pleased to provide guests with independent flight arrangements up to USD $1,000 per guest reimbursement for the cost of amending the inbound transoceanic flight from Basel (BSL) to Amsterdam (AMS). Alternatively, the same allowance can be used towards the purchase of a separate economy-class ticket for travel to Amsterdam from Basel on the day of embarkation. So that we can arrange transfers from the Amsterdam airport to the ship, please email any new or revised flight information to RiverButler@CrystalCruises.com by Thursday, November 15 (please include your clients' booking number). Please send complete documentation of your clients' out-of-pocket cost and proof of payment toGuestRelations2@crystalcruises.com so that we may process reimbursement. Kindly allow four to six weeks for processing.

For guests with flights arranged by Crystal, we will adjust those flights (same class of service) to match the new itinerary at no additional cost. Please note: stopovers and custom itineraries on the new flight arrangements are subject to additional charges. Alternatively, we can provide a separate economy-class ticket for travel to Amsterdam from Basel on the day of embarkation. Please contact Guest Support Services at GuestSupport@crystalcruises.com or (800) 290-0032with your clients' preference no later than Thursday, November 15.

Shore Excursions

Details of our shore excursion offerings will be provided on board the ship along with registration forms.

Although this situation is beyond our control, we wish to apologize for any inconvenience your clients might experience. For guests who wish to continue on the amended itinerary, as a gesture of goodwill, we are pleased to extend a Future Cruise Credit equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid, valid towards any Crystal Experience (Ocean, River or Yacht Expedition) embarking on or before December 31, 2020.

Guests who do not wish to travel on the amended itinerary may cancel and receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid, valid towards any Crystal Experience (Ocean, River or Yacht Expedition) embarking on or before December 31, 2020.

So that we may prepare accordingly, please review these options with your clients, and let us know their preference no later than Thursday, November 15, by contacting our Guest Support Services team atGuestSupport@crystalcruises.com or (800) 290-0032.

Thank you for your partnership. It will be our pleasure to welcome your clients aboard Crystal Mahler for a lovely river journey. 

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services

Dalekwho,

While it is nice to be told early what to expect, Crystal with their early full force change are doing the other extreme to the river cruise companies that are late in communicating and working out the schedule on a daily basis and not exactly making friends with some cruisers either. I can understand Crystal and I fully understand you.

The first itinerary change towards the Moselle is nice. The second choice not so much.

What I do not understand is the choice of words concerning the Crystal Bach. Why not say that she was hit by a barge? Call a spade a spade. The Bach was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And no, I do not think that two days notice is fair. Especially not if the gamble is between just seeing the Rhine area or the Rhine and the Moselle.

I hope things work out well for you whatever your decision will be.

notamermaid

40 minutes ago, holacandita said:

Correct, we embark on Saturday!  Possible itinerary includes sailing Netherlands and Germany from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf -OR- a round trip Amsterdam to Amsterdam sailing through The Netherlands and Belgium.  But we won't know until we're on board.  Either way they will have to get us back to Basel via train or plane to make our post cruise arrangements. 😞  But I'm still hoping for a great trip.  And we will receive credit for a future cruise.

If there was enough water in the Rhine, I would walk the plank but I guess I will have to come up with an amended itinerary 🙂

Mark_T, welcome to Germany. You are well past Emmerich now and as you have said things are better than expected. I am glad to read that an excursion boat for the gorge is available. I assume your next stop will be Cologne then. Enjoy.

A last look at the situation for today (for me). Kaub, the infamous bottle neck, is not doing as well as we would like. Yesterday I posted that the forecast saw 52cm possible. That would have to have been now but with 47cm we are 5cm short of that figure. 54cm for tomorrow looks less likely now.

I am still hoping for a nice surprise tomorrow.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, holacandita said:

Is it  lot of credit?

I have to be in AMS the morning our cruise ends. We have train tickets to Berlin  and Prague (same ticket)@ 9am and we are meeting other people. 

Have they said what they will do for you to get you back to Basel if necessary?

3 minutes ago, hbr777 said:

Is it  lot of credit?

I have to be in AMS the morning our cruise ends. We have train tickets to Berlin  and Prague (same ticket)@ 9am and we are meeting other people. 

The credit is better than what Crystal is offering and I am happy with it.

They said they will either be sending us back to Basel via train from Dusseldorf or by plane from Amsterdam, depending on which itinerary we end up taking.  We have an extra day in Basel before we leave for home, but I'm hoping to not lose it to traveling.

22 minutes ago, holacandita said:

They said they will either be sending us back to Basel via train from Dusseldorf or by plane from Amsterdam, depending on which itinerary we end up taking.  We have an extra day in Basel before we leave for home, but I'm hoping to not lose it to traveling.

Thank you! I hope it works out for you and that you have a wonderful trip!

46 minutes ago, holacandita said:

I am on the same cruise as you. I contacted my TA  who had no info. but would call AMA. Did AMA indicate what time they would be getting people to Basel. We have train tickets to Paris leaving about 12:30 pm. We had hoped to spend a few hours in old town Basel before leaving. 

Edited by gadugger
clarification

15 minutes ago, gadugger said:

I am on the same cruise as you. I contacted my TA  who had no info. but would call AMA. Did AMA indicate what time they would be getting people to Basel. We have train tickets to Paris leaving about 12:30 pm. We had hoped to spend a few hours in old town Basel before leaving. 

It doesn't say but they did ask us to email them our travel information --- if you PM me your email address, I can forward you the letter I received.

13 minutes ago, holacandita said:

It doesn't say but they did ask us to email them our travel information --- if you PM me your email address, I can forward you the letter I received.

I don't think the PM function is working. 

I have been following this thread carefully over the last several weeks but do to a password issue have not been able to post... First time want to thank everyone for sharing all of their information...

I was booked on a Grand Circle trip departing Antwerp to Basel November 13th.... we were scheduled to fly November 11th (one day early) and we're notified two days in advance that are trip had been completely cancelled

in addition to our first River cruise,  we had a land trip we were coordinating on our own and then coming back to Basel to sail to Amsterdam... our total vacation including travel days with 34 days

We were told perhaps that trip had a 50/50 shot of actually completing so we opted to cancel everything... We were given full refunds on both of our trips as well as repayment of travel insurance cost and certain expenses relating to the trip (for example we had to cancel our apartment in Lyon) and a $500 credit towards  a few Cruise... while I'm financially happy,  I'm of course  disappointed that my trip was completely cancelled as I was very prepared for deviation, ship swaps, bus rides, and hotels thanks to the information on this site.

We have subsequently switched our entire trip to France with some days in Paris, some days in Lyon and taking the holiday on the send Christmas Market store out of Paris... Of course it's less money because it's less days... LOL... And I'm glad to be going on a vacation even though it was not the one I originally had planned

3 hours ago, hbr777 said:

Is it  lot of credit?

The credit is full amount you paid for this cruise to use on another AMA cruise. To be used in next 3 years. I’m on this trip with holacandita. Got our letter from AMA today. The other option was to cancel this cruise for a full refund. As holacandita states, AMA will get us to Basel for the post cruise extension. AMA also asks for those who are traveling indepentantly from Basel to give them all those details. Sounds like they are trying to get everyone to Basel regardless. Mum and I are going to take the revised itinerary, enjoy the fact we’re on holiday and go for the full credit for another cruise. We’re happy we get to do our 4 night post trip as planned.

HBR777 - if we end in Düsseldorf we take train to Basel. If we’re ending in Amsterdam we fly to Basel.

• Like 1